Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Blech. Sounds like I'm calling the dealer this morning. First model year car, first run problems.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    OK reporting back.

The dealer says the smells (greasy through to cooking to verging on burning) are the cosmoline - the rustproofing that they put inside any metal parts. One of the people at the dealership said the smells could last 30K miles. EH!!! :sick: To minimize, don't recirc the air in the cabin. Otherwise, you are stuck with it. :sick:

The fog is the dash off-gassing (from the type of plastic that they used) and they say mine should be just about done doing that...And they cleaned all the windows for me. Including the moonroof!!! Yeah!

They also "said" everything was non-toxic...but you'll never get me to believe that. :P
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    After the stupid overhead map light creaking started again, it now appears the noise is due to a wire used for the automatic dimming mirror. This 3-core flat ribbon runs form the mirror up inside a small removeable rectangular guide and then under the headliner.
    Moving this wire around would either set up a series of creaks when the vehicle went over dips or sometimes bumps, or silence the creaks.
    The creaks will vanish if the map light assembly is removed (removal takes pressure off the front of the headliner).

My guess is the headliner flexes enough to rub against that wire, depending on where the wire is positioned.
    Also, anyone without this automirror won't have the wire, and my guess is won't have the creaks.
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    4-6 inches of snow in my area and 6-8 inches a bit further north. Can't wait to see how well the 4wd handles :shades:
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    I'm in NJ, so I'm right there with ya! Should be fun :)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Subaru put the nice stuff on the seating surfaces (perforated leather) and the arm rests, plus the steering wheel and shifter. Those are the places you tend to touch.

The one oversight was the sun shade - cheap. The rest of the stuff you never touch (headliner, dash, etc).

Bob mentioned the Venza's dash was softer, but its prices are a good $5 grand higher. I think the Forester is nicer than the similarly priced RAV4 inside, easily.

So against direct competitors, it's par, or even slightly better than par, IMHO.

I looked at a Mariner hybrid, Ford Escape clone, and the plastics were worse and even the leather was shiny. Then I looked a a VW Tiguan, and it really wasn't any better than the Forester (I sort of expected more from VW).

Sure, there's a part here or there from a competitor that is higher quality, but as a package I think the Forester is at least better than average for this price class.

Plus, if you want a plush head liner, softer materials, etc, step up to a Tribeca. They start at $26k, right around the same price as that Venza Bob mentioned.

I don't see anything wrong with that. The average new car costs $28 grand, you can get a Limited for far less, even most XTs are less than that. We can't expect premium materials at a less-than-average price, especially when you get AWD as part of the bargain.
  • hitoyouhitoyou Member Posts: 16
    I took my 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 Limited edition for its first oil change today. I asked about the TSB material for protection of the rear door area. He said it didn't apply to my vehicle. It was for the 2008 editions. Is he right?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    No, I'm pretty sure he is wrong. There are several '09 owners, kurtamaxxguy most notably, who have made several posts concerning this and the rear protection was added later in the model run, so early run vehicles were without the added protection. I think Kurt's vehicle was at the dealer very recently to receive the added treatment specified by the TSB.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yes, my servicing dealer verified the TSB and ordered the parts; they have so far proved far better wrt service than the average dealer.

If the vehicle in question only has a roughly 2 x 3" patch of scotchguard back on the fenders, the TSB should apply as the new scotchguard patch is at least 3 times bigger.
    jopopsy,

I just filled up again and the fuel gauge looks to be working fine again...so I think it may have been just a one time fluke... (hopefully!)
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Your dealer is wrong. The TSB applies to early 09 Foresters. I believe the TSB has VIN numbers for covered vehicles. (My wife's wasn't covered). You can also take a look at the new Foresters on the dealer's lot to see where the protection material is on the newer cars. Based on my wife's experience, the additional material still doesn't cover a large enough area to keep the paint from chipping.
  • prndldriverprndldriver Member Posts: 21
    We were two hours into a 10 hour drive over the holidays when the Check Engine light went on as well as a flashing Cruise light and the VDC light. :confuse: I just had the oil changed and the car has 8000 miles. I quickly ran through the guidebook while my husband got us to a nearby town where I thought there might be a Subaru dealer.

Of course, no Subaru dealer nearby, but I did phone several service departments near home. Two out of three service guys weren't too worried. But thanks to researching on Edmunds -- thanks also to the wifi in a Hilton Garden Inn -- I found that the Check Engine light could be evaluated at an AutoZone for free. There was one nearby fortunately.

The AutoZone guy put his computer onto the dash connection and within a minute chuckled and told us that the only problem was that the gas cap was not on tight enough! He said this was common in new cars. That was also one of the possibilities in the guidebook. He thought the light would go off after 30 miles, after we tightened the gas cap. It actually took about 3 1/2 hours of highway driving for the light to go off and the emissions to be reset. But we couldn't use the Cruise control for all that time.

My brother later also told me this was common problem in new cars. Thanks goodness this wasn't a big problem as so far the Forester 09 has seemed really reliable.

You can get the CheckEngine light checked for free at any AutoZone. You can also buy the computerized tool used at Autzone for around $100 to $150.

Anyone else experience this? I enjoy reading all your comments and have learned a lot here, so wanted to share my experience. :)
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    It comes up a lot. I'm sure it is in the owner's manual, but it's the finding of it that is so hard. I think new cars should have that as the first page : ATTENTION IF CEL COMES ON, CHECK YOUR GAS CAP!! Wheres right now, I think if you look under "refueling" (which everyone reads carefully because no-one knows how to put gas in a car ;-) and is the first place you look when you think your engine is about to explode ) the refueling sction will has a warning to tighten the cap properly or you might get a CEL.
    Thanks for the info re: Autozone! That could come in handy in the future.
    My 09 is also being covered. I have an appointment later this month to have it repainted and the protection film applied.

The first dealer I went to won't look at it...and I asked them about it and had the TSB. They said it was referring to another part of the car (which of course has no problems)
    With the second dealer it was a non-issue, they are taking care of it. Period. I have made them my primary dealer for service now, even though they are further away.

Good point about the new piece being too small as now it is mentioned here, my "chips" cover a larger area then the new film. I'll see what I can have them do about that....
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    Barely any snow came down in Brooklyn. Lots of slush and the streets are covered with a thin layer of ice. This is really disappointing as I was looking forward to driving the subi through the snow. To make matters worst, my wife decided to do some shopping today and insisted on taking the subi over her new mini cooper S. So I am stuck with the mini for the day.
  • jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Same thing with me !!! THe only differance was I let the tank run a little lower then I normally do. Before I was filling up around 1/2 a tank. This time I filled up at 1/3 to 1/4 left. Weird?
    Glad to hear that's all it was.

I bought an OBDII scanner. You'd be surprised how often it comes in handy. I've probably used it on 5 different cars or so? Usually just a loose gas cap.

Subaru uses a fuel vapor recovery system with a charcoal canister and all, which is why you also do *not* want to top off the fuel tank when filling up.
  • irishrover2irishrover2 Member Posts: 2
    ateixeira mentioned NOT to top off tank due to fuel vaporrecovery system & charcoal cannister.Can you please explain why not & what the consequences would be,TY
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    My experience is that topping off to round out the pennies is ok, but those that are used to squeezing every drop into the tank run the risk of sending fuel through the vent system and into the charcoal canister. This will ruin it since it is designed to handle vapors and not a liquid. This happened to a friend of mine, not on a Subaru, and it cost him more than $100 to replace it. The dealer would not cover it under warranty, saying it happened due to his actions.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Subaru's customers are, the company admits, a little oddball. How else do you explain the fact that Subaru of America was the only car company to increase unit sales last year? Subaru buyers tend to be overeducated; they buy less car than they can afford and hang on to it forever. "They pay cash, and then you never see them again," says Tim Mahoney, Subaru of America's chief marketing officer. At least not for an average 7.3 years, when they return like migrating carbirds to buy another one. Recession or not.

You know, of course, that Detroit is on its knees. But Stuttgart, Tokyo and Seoul aren't faring particularly well either. Toyota's U.S. sales were off 16% last year. Yet Subaru was positive to the tune of 491 cars. The company sold 187,699 vehicles last year, led by value-driven models like the Forester SUV and Outback wagon ($19,995 to $22,295) and the muscled-up Impreza WRX ($24,995), a small sedan. (Read TIME's biographies of Detroit's Big Three CEOs.)

That's an increase of just 0.3% over 2007. But in a disastrous year for the industry, it boosted Subaru's market share to 1.92%, from 1.2%. In the auto industry, that's a huge increase — and a higher market share than Cadillac, for instance. Subaru did it without giving away the store too. For 2008, the company decided to roll back its list prices and back off the rebates. The sticker price of the 2009 Forester, for instance, was lowered to $19,995, from $21,295. "We had to bring down our incentive costs and stop selling based on the deal," says Tom Doll, executive vice president of the company, which is a division of Japan's Fuji Heavy Industries.

Loyalty can help you do that, and Subaru has leveraged its existing customers, who identify more with their cars than perhaps is healthy. "If you stop a Subaru owner at sporting event, ski slope, shopping center, they'll tell you, 'I love this car,' " says Mahoney. And being the opinionated-bumper-sticker type, they are more likely to recommend the brand than even Toyota or Honda owners.
    Certainly, it's a perfect era for a car company that is green (it boasts zero-landfill production plants), safety-focused, and can deliver a fair amount of value and performance. In the snow belt regions of the Northeast and intermountain west, Subaru has long had a following because of its all-wheel-drive portfolio.
    But Subaru has successfully expanded both its geography and demography, becoming a more national car company and getting a broader customer base.

To accomplish both, the company expanded its safety-first image to one that includes better performance and more fun. After all, who wants to motor around in the equivalent of all-wheel-drive bubble wrap? California, a vital auto market, discovered Subaru courtesy of models like the Impreza WRX. All-wheel drive is terrific in the Sierras, but in the Los Angeles Basin, it's more about performance, which the 265-hp, intercooled, turbocharged WRX could address. The muscle models scored well with younger drivers and allowed Subaru to get more exposure for its full line.

Having more than weathered the dreadfully bad 2008, Subaru officials aren't planning on lowering sales this year. At Detroit's North American International Auto Show, Subaru unveiled a concept car that will likely evolve into a midsize sedan version of its Legacy. And on a broader note, Doll says that more available credit and Barack Obama's stimulus package should get additional buyers into showrooms. Of course, if all else fails, there are always those folks who bought an Outback 7.3 years ago — and are ready to return.
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    Interesting read. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Bill
    That sums it up pretty nicely.

When I installed a trailer hitch on my '98 Forester, I actually had to remove and replace the actual canister. It's a black plastic box about the size of an air filter.

If any of the tubes leading in or out of that canister are disconnected, you'll even get a check-engine light.
    Was interesting, for sure, and was the full article (apparently a short topic for Time).
    Nothing surprising in that at all - that's pretty much what I would have predicted as the profile of a Subie owner. The funny thing is that impressions like that are so often wrong.
  • DON__FLORIDADON__FLORIDA Member Posts: 14
    I am looking to replace my VW 02 Passat. The Forester is one of many I am looking at. I am concerned about the many posts regarding rattles and cheap interior materal. The Passat has a smoot and quiet ride compared to my Wife;s 09 Matrix. Can I expect a smooth and quiet ride in the Forester? Does anyone think some of the problems in the first year will be corrected in 2010? Based on the question of quality in the 09 I can't feel comfortable buying one this year. I can wait as my Passat still runs OK after77,000 miles. I am also interested in the new Toyota Venza which looks good but again who knows about first year problems. Any advice will be appreciated.
    Your Veedub has an upscale interior, so you're definitely a price class down in terms of materials.

Then again...if you check out a Tiguan, it's not any better than a Forester. That sort of surprised me, but then again I expected to see an interior like your Passat's in the Tiguan - that is definitely not the case.

So compared to your Passat, they may seem like a step down, but compared to its peers, this is par for this class. Step up to a Tribeca if you want a soft headliner (Tribeca's is identical to the VW Phaeton) and other soft-touch materials.

I will say that the perforated leather on our Limited's seats is very nice, as are the seat heaters. The peach fuzz headliner and plastic sun visors may disappoint you if you are used to the Passat, but so would a Tiguan.
  • pgb0517pgb0517 Member Posts: 84
    My post No. 1973 of July 20, 2008, follows up my search for suitable cupholders. I uploaded photos of a product I have found satisfactory.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    hey Don, I had an 02 Passat and an 06 Passat. great cars when they are not in repair! I bought my first Subaru product last May..An 09 Forester LLBean (limited). I have been very happy with its performance,MPG , and cabin comfort. I am happy to be rid of the turbo lag and premium gas. The AWD, so far upstate new york has been incredibly great. The cargo space is a nice treat as well. I do find the interior to be on the cheap side, however I have looked at many others , and plastic is what they are all using.even VW. I do not think you could compare the Venza to the Forester . The four cylinder AT, performs smoothly and is more than ample for me. I find myself doing 80 very easily and needing to slow down. Go test drive one and see
    The Venza is comparable in size with the Outback, and is much larger than Forester or Tiguan. It's a first year car too so expect some minor issues.
    To Subaru's credit, they've so far been pretty good about addressing first year issues with my Forester, via my servicing dealer.

Wrt any new car, I would thoroughly research the local dealers and make sure they provide good after sales service. For Subaru in my area, I've the choice between a crummy one and a good one (the good one's a bit farther away); the good one gets all my business ;)
    The Venza is probably a closer competitor to the Passat wagon in $$, finish and size than is the Forester.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The Venza is much, much bigger than the Outback. It is more in line with the Tribeca size-wise, maybe a couple of inches lower.
    Subaru has been very quiet about the Forester for 2010.

Is there any truth to rumor that a CVT will replace the 4S AT for that model year? The reviewers have been beating Subaru so mercilessly on the 4 speed that I would be surprised if this is ignored yet again.

My brother is considering a Forester and he is curious. As for me, I would probably wait a few years to switch (I don't think trade in loss would make up for the switch).
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Is there any truth to rumor that a CVT will replace the 4S AT for that model year?

Very unlikely. I've heard that Subaru wants the Legacy and Outback to have the CVT (exclusively) for at least a year. I don't expect any mechanical upgrades like that until the mid-life refresh, which is scheduled fro MY 2112.

The Impreza's mid-life update is for MY 2011, and I expect the CVT to show up on that car then.

Bob
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    Any word/s on Direct Injection Engines for upcoming models???
    Still a few years off, from what I understand. :( Again, I would hopefully expect this at the mid-life refresh.

Bob
    Venza is a strange product because it's between a crossover and a wagon, a crosswagon?

Tribeca competes with the Highlander.

Forester competes with the RAV4.

Venza doesn't really have an equivalent in the Subaru lineup. If they up-size the new Outback, maybe they would match up better.

I find the Venza very handsome, despite an overdone grille, but I don't really "get" it. It's as big as the Highlander but probably has less space than the RAV4. No 3rd row option. It's not that light or fuel efficient. And it's sort of expensive.

I'm sure it will appeal to Lexus RX intenders who cannot afford to spend that much, but it's not for me. I either want performance or practicality, or even both. I'm not convinced the Venza offers either.

It will find its niche, though. The Murano sells well, and it's fairly similar.
    The Toyota dealer said the Venza is to compete with the Murano.

Bob
    There are people like my wife who prefer a car/station wagon look to the tall SUV style, so there may be more of a market there. The AWD is a plus with only upscale brands or Subie as competition in a car platform. Venza in other jurisdictions gets the 3rd row, I wonder why it wasn't even an option here?
    Yeah, you follow the Crossover thread, and I mentioned the Mark X Zio (I think that's what it is called in other markets) and nobody even responded. Zero interest.

The Venza has not even been mentioned there. Perhaps it is too small to be considered as an alternative for the bigger crossovers that tend to dominate that thread.
    Not to mention the whole issue of whether or not it's a crossover, whatever that truly means. Remember, some even questioned whether or not the Freestyle/Taurus X was a crossover versus just a station wagon. I'd argue that the Outback was the first true crossover but if it's just a jacked up Legacy which clearly isn't a crossover, then the dividing line can be problematic.
    IMHO the Crossover forum is really the medium to big, car-based SUV forum because that's what are always discussed there.
    Hee-hee, I couldn't leave the cargo thing alone, but I didn't think I was starting anything. Always comes down to starting with the vehicle you need and then getting what you want. Some folks over there don't seem to get that. Too much, "I own this so it's the best for everyone." On the cargo issue, dog carrying is really important for us, and no dog wants to ride behind the 3rd row of a Sienna - not that they would enjoy riding in the trunk of any crossover. I've really mollified otherwise, and realize that luggage or dog room is irrelevant if we keep the Yukon XL to use in those situations. If we went on vacation without the hounds, a Sienna and a roof carrier would still be more fuel efficient by far. It's all irrelevant though, because Dra is being an uncharacteristically indecisive shopper, and after a year and a half still hasn't commited to a new vehicle.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Dra is being an uncharacteristically indecisive shopper, and after a year and a half still hasn't commited to a new vehicle.

Well, I think that is preferable to what my wife did when we purchased our 2007 Outback. She said she would not consider anything except a Subaru, but she did not want an "older" one because she was not interested in high mileage or maintenance concerns. Okay, so that leaves a new Subaru. We decide on trim, I made her test drive one (since she wanted a manual), then we purchased one and brought it home. After that, she was disappointed with the feel of the car (interior rattles, cracking shift & parking brake boots, scuffs, etc) and said she would have liked to get an older ('96-'99) Subaru like our last one. Grr... that is what I was trying to get her to agree to buy all along! Hah!

Then, she starts saying about other new cars, "oh, that looks nice" and, "we should have looked at one of those." I would not call it buyer's remorse, but she certainly did her shopping once the cart was planted firmly in front of the horse. To her credit, though, she was very amenable to my suggestion that we do a vehicular about-face once we learned we were having another baby. It was expensive to get rid of the '07, but it has worked out beautifully in terms of cost savings over the last 18 months. I cannot believe it was two years ago already that I lost my '96 Outback. My how the time flies....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Hi All,

Had our first round of snow here. The car did great. But, the wipers did a terrible job: icing up, not clearing the windshield, etc. These are the stock blades.

What have others done? Do you have this problem? Does Subaru have a winter blade?

Sorry for all the questions, but I would really appreciate some advice.

Its hard to appreciate the good handling when you can't see -- other cars on the road didn't seem to have this problem.

Thanks,

Bill, in West Virginia
    Subaru supposedly offers winter wiper blades. I have not used them : the stock blades are proving so so, though the winter package (wiper deicer, mirror deicers, etc) helps somewhat.

Also helps to have windshield washer fluid with a low freeze point, and Prestone spray deicer (the yellowish version in a spray bottle was wildly popular when the last big snow hit Portland OR).

My only problem was ice buildup near the top of the windshield where the defroster could not quite melt it. That required manual clearing ever so often.
    Thanks for the information. I think I'll try the deicer. Mine is the 2.5x base, so I don't have the heated wiper area--one option I wish I had.

I had the defroster full blast, must have been 90 degrees inside, the windshield was still a mess.

Has anyone used the winter wipers--comments?

Bill
    I own this so it's the best for everyone

So true, as if 22 cubic feet of cargo space were the same as 45. See recent posts.

Funny thing is I think they've convinced themselves that 22=55.
    Has anyone else been having the chemical fogging problems?

I have had 2 dealers look at it now. One said it was the dash off gassing. Another said it was the cosmoline(rust inhibitor in the car). Both said that it should be done, but it is NOT GOING AWAY.

I am looking for any advice to resolve this.

It is so bad now that even in the daytime, the reflections on the windshield due to the chemical build up make it hard to see out of. It is greasy like, so it just smears. They "say" it isn't the antifreeze. Cleaning it is always half-assed. One dealer used industrial strength cleaner on it and that kept it clean for less than a week (although, I probably wasn't using the defroster either, as it was warmer here then.)

Any help??? Suggestions???

I do want to be able to see clearly out of my windsheild!!! (And all the other windows, as it builds up on them as well.)
    Different vehicles, but absolutely no issues with the WRX and I doubt there is a big diff between our windshields. This makes me think it is not normal no matter what is being said. I did get it in November though so it hasn't seen high temps. I wish I could offer advice on fixing it but cannot.
    Same here, no issues whatsoever.

In fact our van fogs up much worse than our Forester does. And the windshield takes about 3 days to clean it's so big.

Try drying it with newspaper instead of using paper towels. Maybe hide some baking soda under the seat to absorb smells? We do that.
    BTW why is newspaper effective more than paper?