Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I've only used them on the outside of cars after washing, but for whatever reason it is an amazing way to leave zero residue and no streaks. Far better than paper towels, cloth towels, chamois, etc.

I usually squeejee them and then dry off the lines with newspaper. The glass is totally transparent when I'm done.

Does anyone know more about why newspaper is good for drying glass?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    No, but I have the same results. It does not seem to matter whether the paper is printed or not. Our local newspaper gives away its roll remnants - that is a nice place to get paper for crafts, moving, etc.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Bill:

I actually find that I have less problems when I keep the exterior windshield temperature below freezing, which means as little "defroster" as possible. When I blast the defroster on the inside of the windshield, it makes the glass just warm enough on the outside that snow will melt, then freeze, on the glass. When that happens, you are asking a lot from the wipers to keep the screen clean.

A good low-temp washer fluid can help, as will good winter wiper blades - something without exposed metal parts. Ice builds up in there and the wiper cannot form to the window, so you get only tiny patches of wiper contacting the glass. I use Trico Neoform blades on my vehicles. They are the best I have tried and work well year-round. But, if the blades start icing up, their performance will go down as well.

The trick is to keep the water either frozen or liquid, not alternating between the two. A defroster is not going to solve the problem unless outside temperatures are real close to freezing. When you're driving, the faster you go, the higher the rate of heat loss off the glass surface.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    My 09 Forester is only my second vehicle with a key fob remote. It seems to be noticeably weaker than the Toyota one I use on my other vehicle. By weaker I mean that if I am walking away from the vehicle holding the remote in front of me it will not lock the car. My body is enough to block the signal. The Toyota remote has had the same battery for five and half years and doesn't have this problem.

Is this normal for Subarus?
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Mine has a relatively short range, but no problem going through interior and exterior walls from 30' when I accidentally hit the panic button.
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    I have had the out-gassing problem with many vehicles, especially in the real hot summer months. I do get it in the winter too, and both my wife's Forester and mine seem to be among the worst we have owned with trying to get the inside of the windshield clean, and stay that way for a while.

I would describe what we "see" as greasy, that smears easily when touched. I have tried all kinds of cleaners and all kinds of paper towels, even newspaper. Nothing is great, and I usually have to clean the windshield at least 3 times to get it satisfactory for a short while. I agree that it is a real pain.

What I have found that helps is to clean and protect the dash vinyl areas including the defroster vents. I have used a couple of things for this, 303 being one, but what I find the best is the Armor All product. This is not the original one that leaves everything too shiny and gives reflections, but the one in the bottle with the black and blue label. It is offered as a cleaner but the small print says it also protects. This stops or at least slows the out-gassing.

By the way, when you see an old car with the dash all cracked and split, that is because all the plasticizer has out-gassed from the vinyl. It is put into the process for flexibility. The plasticizer is the greasy smear.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    To determine whether the filmy residue is coming out of the defroster, tape a small piece of bright white paper over a section of the defroster opening and leave it there for a week or two. Then remove it, and observe any residue. If you see residue, you can show that to your dealer.

FYI, my 04 Forester never had any noticeable outgassing problems because it has a hard plastic dash. My 96 Legacy had a pretty bad problem because of soft vinyl dash, but only in hot/warm weather.
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    Thanks. It makes sense. I'll try your suggestions.

Bill
  • w8ifiw8ifi Member Posts: 78
    Does your fogging coincide with a recent snow fall? In the winter here in snow country I always run my air circulation for the heater on outside air source(not recirculate).
    The reason is that snow from our boots collects on the floor and floor mats. As the cabin section heats up the high rise in humidity of melting snow hits the cold windows and condenses. This creates fogging. Outside air being drier keeps the humidity level lower.
    Jim
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    Jim,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, no the fogging occurs any time I am running the defrost/heater. We haven't had any snow in a while now.

The "fog" is not water vapor which can be wiped off. This is a greasy film, that apparently Subaru knows about, but isn't doing anything about. If I used my car every day, I would have to wash all of the windows every day in order to be safe driving the car. On trips to Denver, an hour away, it is a concern as coming back is pretty unsafe to drive due to the build up of this greasy substance on the windshield.

Worse, it is hard to wash off. The typical windex, glass plus and other alcohol base cleaners don't take it off, they just smear the film. One dealer told me they used some industrial cleaner to get it off. I don't have access to that, so I keep cleaning it with off the shelf stuff which doesn't really get it off. It gets better, but it is still and issue.

Also, now in the daytime, the dash and anything on the dash is very clearly reflected in the glass, so that is also not good for driving either.

I am also very concerned that I am breathing this stuff and injuring my health. Lately my lymphnodes in the back of my throat have swollen up and it is hard to swallow, etc. I have never had this type of "sickness", and I haven't been sick, not even a cold, for several years. I'm guessing it is related to this gaseous material that I am breathing in in the car. And it isn't a cold, as I haven't moved into the rest of the usual cold symptoms.

Is anyone else having this in their car???
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    My wife has an 09 Forester which she purchased in August. Her windshield hasn't done much fogging. My 07 Outback has a terrible fogging problem, worse in warm weather and when the car is parked in the sun. I expected the problem to go away after the first summer, but it hasn't.

My dealer's response: Never heard of a fogging problem before. I e-mailed Subaru some time back and they told me the problem was "normal" and the gasses were not hazardous (sure). My 02 Outback stopped fogging up after the first summer.

If you haven't already, I suggest a call to Subaru to at least document the problem.
  • irishrover2irishrover2 Member Posts: 2
    09 forester my.Daughter left towel on floor rear passenger,picked up towel,a heavy towel and found it to be completely soacked.Upon further investigation found floor mat completely wet and also carpet underneath,lifted carpet and found yellow foam padding wet enough that you would be able to wring it out.Have not read any posts on this forum in regards to this problem,but have read of others having similar prolems on another subie forum.Is anyone else experiencing similar problems,or are there any ideas out there for what could be causing this.There had been no rain for previous week before discovery.TY
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Outgassing is in general hard to remove. I've had issue with Prius, Camry and Malibu vehicles.
    Normal window cleaners such as Windex proved useless. Specialized cleaners such as Stoner Invisible Glass, or Meguiars (this one claims to have anti-haze properties) have better success.

There was a web-based report a short time ago regarding toxicity of automotive plastics, and '09 Forester received medium concern rating; big offender was Bromine in door trim and front seat. Bromine is used as part of flame retardants.
    By comparison the 2007 Forester got a high concern rating and listed as one of the worst.
    The improvement's a sign that perhaps Subaru took this seriously and is in progress of reducing internal emissions.

www.healthycar.org has the ratings.

If you have enclosed parking and/or heated garage, parking with all or at least front windows open will allow outgassing to occur when vehicle's not in use.

As mentioned earlier, outgassing is the plasticers gradually leaving the plastics that they are contained in. As time passes, those plastics will turn hard and brittle: unfortunately the normal aging process for plastics. Hopefully that will not occur within the vehicles' designed life span (and only Subaru has any idea what that is :surprise: ).
    I recall that I was told, back when I was a kid, that it was the black ink in the paper that had some effect. I was also told that the "colored" newspaper was not as effective. I never tested it out, however, I've always just used the black based on that. I don't know the why???
  • jtezjtez Member Posts: 3
    Well...I am at a little over 10,000 miles, and I have had to replace 2 windshields on my 2009 Forester Premium Edition. It has cracked in the exact same place, right behind the rear view mirror. The first one the dealer did not warranty. The second one happened today, and I am waiting to see if they will warranty it. This is my first Subaru. I may sell it if it continues to be a hassle.
    Mine goes through walls and has worked from at least 50 feet away. Perhaps it needs a new battery???
    YIKES!!! Boy, that sure sounds like they need to cover it under warranty. Both windows.
    I agree...they should have covered both, but didn't even offer. So...anyway the first one is paid and I am hoping "in good faith" that they will honor a warranty on the second windshield. Has anyone else had a windshield crack right behind the rear view mirror on this model?
    Not yet, but a question....
    does your '09 have the automatic day-night mirror?

I've noticed the cable for this mirror can get pinched by the headliner, and could then apply stress to the glass. That cable proved a source for a lot of creaking noises until rerouted to a position where it stopped creaking.

The mirror itself is glued to the windshield (the rectangular plastic strut from mirror to top of windshield covers the cable but offers no support to the mirror).
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    In June, my 09 LLBean Windshield cracked also behind the rear view mirror. I remember hearing a loud pebble or something hitting it days before I noticed the crack. Since there were no aftermarket ones available, a new factory glass with heated elements was replaced by my insurance company.
    birdboy,
    That is interesting. You say you heard a pebble or something hit your windshield, but did you actually see the pebble. My thought is that the noise was the windshield cracking, not necessarily due to debris but possibly unknown pressure from a "design flaw".

And to answer another post: my rear view mirror is the "auto day/ night" feature.
    In my experience, they typically won't OFFER to do something. But, if you press them and explain your reasons, ie that it could be a design flaw (ex. kurt's post) and not a rock through the windsheild, they should still cover it.

They can still cover the first one by reimbursing you for your deductible and any other out of pocket expenses. Subaru would automatically assume it was a rock or some such. They just need some convincing. Also, noting the other post here, where the windshield cracked in the same place could net you the new windshield and your deductible.

Twice is not a coincidence in this case.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Close inspection should reveal if the crack was due to an external impact. If so, there should be some chipping/pitting somewhere along the fracture line. Run a finger nail down the crack. You should be able to feel it, IF it is there.
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Thanks. actually I did see a chip in the glass near the crack and knew that something hit it..
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    About 5 weeks ago, I was rear-ended in my 6 month old Forester. Initially, I thought that I got away with light damage, with just the bumper and reflector needing replacement. However, the Civic that hit me actually submarined me, crushing the spare tire well, and bending the entire exhaust system. I just got my car back on Friday,and the holdup was finding the left muffler.

Is it just because it's a new model or is parts availability an issue with Subaru.?
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    So sorry to hear about your accident. That's a good question I'd like to know the answer to as well. Where are you located? I'm in NJ. Been waiting for a windshield for my 2009 Forester for 3 weeks now, and I'm praying mine will hold up until it comes in.
    Not sure about general parts situation but have noticed it took 3 weeks to get a Hood-mounted intercooler baffle ordered.
    The northwest got screwed up pretty badly by a major storm in December, and Washington has been hard hit by rain recently. I-5 was flooded for several days (again).
    All of this has probably delayed some parts shipments.
  • pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    Subaru buyers tend to be overeducated; they buy less car than they can afford and hang on to it forever. "They pay cash, and then you never see them again,"

Wow...im impressed! I am overeducated (doctor of pharmacy), paid cash for the car, could have easily bought a more expensive car, and plan on keeping it for many years to come.

............big brother is watching! see you in 7.3 years.........
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    I too am a little peeved by the options packages. I don't want a sunroof. I do need a telescoping wheel. Why they force a big ticket item like a sunroof on you and then withhold the simple but coveted telescoping wheel unless you spring for the top of the line is frustrating. What they are doing is forcing me to crossshop more expensive competitors vehicles because in order to get the options I want I have to buy a bunch of stuff I don't.
    I've seen the new Scotchguard shields for the Forester rear fenders, and they are about 3 times the size of the old ones. Unfortunately, my generally good dealer got fingerprints on the inside of one of them, (black fingerprints show up on a white car), so they will have to be redone.

It also costs $170 for the new "front footwell" LED lights. The dealer gave me no labor estimate (the parts are around $40), and it took them a ridiculous amount of time to figure out the proper wires to connect to. No bargin, those :cry:
    The kit consists of two square tiles, each with 2 LED's, that get mounted under the front dash, only light up when the headlamps or parking light/markers are turned on, and switch off with the headlights (either manually or when key is removed).
    They do not get in the way of feet or anything under the dash.

The kit does _not_ include lights for the rear footwells.
    An earlier poster said this is a FHI issue, not Subaru; FHI makes it very difficult for Subaru USA to mix and match options.

Yes, it would make more sense to offer a tilt-and-telescope option across the line. The lack of telescoping steering was one reason I ignored Subaru for so long.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Houston, TX
    Dealer - Gillman Subaru
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Good cars but they tend to get a little ratty with age. Good for local driving but I'm hesitant to take our 02 outback w 96k on a long trip.

But they are the best of a lot of worlds: AWD, good crash test scores, reasonable fuel economy.
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    I agree, the options packages are too limited. Like you, there is no way I want a sunroof. I went for the base 2.5x 4AT-- I was able to get a good driving position without the telescoping wheel.

The dealers like these packages because there tends to be more profit markup on them. The younger buyers, of course want all the stuff, and figure its just a little more payment each month.

I would like to have had the heated mirrors and wiper area, but ain't no way I am paying $4,000 more for it.

I am happy with my purchase, and I love the car.

Bill
  • bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    The problem with options and packages started years ago when the gov started with the fuel requirement certification. EVERY combination sold had to be tested and certified even if it made no sense. If a right side mirror were offered the vehicle had to be certified with the mirror, if a fancy stereo were offered it had to be done again. Then it had to be done with the combinations, mirror with stereo, etc. So if there were 20 separate options available it got quite costly for the manufacturer. The cost back then was something like $500 for each test and certification, I am sure it is more now.

The manufacturers quickly realized that packages were the answer, so guessed on what most people would want and put them together. This has of course hurt the ability for us, the consumer, to get exactly the vehicle we want. They try to balance the certification cost with the option packages offered to appeal to what they think we will buy as it might be "close enough".

I am sure the certification requirements have evolved to make more sense, since originally it was based on weight added, but manufacturers still want to limit choices for assembly line reasons.
  • jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey Gang,

Just wanted to post my results from my trip to the dealer. Essentially they did nothing since no 'codes' were in the computer, not check engine light came on, and everything operates normally except the gauge. Is this hogwash? I know others have commented on this issue; I wonder if a TSB is forthcoming?

Jopopsy
    anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but I remember the Forester gas tank is an unusual critter in that it is a "saddle" design, and uses a jet pump to move fuel from one side to another.
    Might this characteristic generate, on occasion, erroneous fuel readings?
    Well, I finally have an answer for the chemical fogging of the windows/health problems from the Forester!!! It is not the plasticizer in the vinyl/plastic dash or other materials.

Thx snowbelter for mentioning about contacting Subaru. I did.

They knew all about it but wondered if all of the dealers did, however. They said it first started with the Impreza, so I assume it may have been around for a while.

So, it turns out there is something with the rubber type gasket used around the heater box. As the car is in the shop for the rear door panel paint issues and a few other warranty items that are being cover, Subaru called the dealer to ask if they knew about the heater gasket issue. The dealer didn't know, so, Subaru told them what to do, and it will be done with all the rest of the stuff. Luckily, I have a loaner while all the work is being done.

I just wish I had had the resolution before I got the continual sore throat and swollen lymphs. It is still not going away. Feels like the uvula is coated with sandpaper and that there is a sharp chunk of hard candy stuck in there, like all the time. :sick:

Hope this helps others that find the same issue.

I'll follow up after I get the car back to let you all know what happens...
    If you can learn if there is a TSB associated with this issue, that could help others here.
    I think there are some fogging issues in my '09 but have not stressed the heater enough to really be sure.
    I don't have a TSB, and when I was on the subaru site about a week ago, I didn't see one for this.

I can recommend that you don't wait too long to get the gasket replaced so you don't get "sick" like I did.

I bought my car at the end of June. If I remember right, you bought your car before I did Kurt. If so, you may have the same issue???
  • mgagnemgagne Member Posts: 8
    Nice Job, I live in Montreal Canada and I think I have the same problem with my Forester (june 2008). What is the name and the city of your dealer that Subaru call?

Thanks, and I hope that your health problem will stop.
  • redherring1redherring1 Member Posts: 66
    I bought mine in mid-May, and live in Chicago so the heater's blasting constantly (man, that SOB gets hot)--had a little haze from time to time, but it wipes right off with a dry towel so it may not be the same thing. Unfortunately your situation may be extreme (unfortunate because it may be harder to get Subaru to fix it).
  • redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    I live in Montreal also and am considering buying a 2009 Forester. Some of the owners are not happy with the interior being cheapish and the paINT chipping. What has your experience been? Do you like the car and would you buy it again?!

Thanks for any feedback.
    I'm in CO so that probably won't help you.

Instead, if it is the same problem (read previous posts for further descriptions), go in and see if your local dealer knows about it. If not call Subaru to get more help with it.

Subaru was GREAT!!! :D with me on the phone, knew exactly what I was talking about without looking anything up. They were very professional. They knew the fix right away. Subaru offered and did call my local dealer (they even asked for the name of the person I was dealing with). Then they called me back to verify what had been discussed, and what was going to happen.

Just wish "all" the dealers would have gotten this info handed down. But, I don't know if any in my area got it. I had brought the car down to the dealer that sells the most Subies in the country (where I bought it) They knew nothing about it either.
    Did they describe, specifically, the fix, or what exactly is the cause? Heater gasket, yes, but what about it? Is it the material? The fit?
    It is the heater gasket material. They will be replacing it. (Hopefully with a different type of material as I don't know the chemical that I am having a reaction to.)

I'm pretty sure it is the material and whatever chemicals it gives off when it is heated. I don't know what material it is. They mentioned the "rubber" gasket, but if it was just plain rubber, it would not have had this problem.

So, I'm thinking there is something mixed in with the rubber. Perhaps next time I talk to SOA I will ask them.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    This is probably not the best forum to post this, but it seems like the most frequently visited one.

I have owned two Subies and, with the Chase credit card, have accumulated a TON of Subaru Bucks. However, lately, I'm leaning on not getting another Subaru in the future.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do with all these Subie bucks?

Thanks.
    my only advice is to try to find things you can charge the "bucks" to that will be usable for your next vehicle, or otherwise.
    Clothing? Car covers? Luggage organizers?
    Or, if you have time on your hands, you could exchange the vouchers for accessories, then re-sell the accessories on craigslist, etc., for a cut-rate deal. Or, perhaps, get accessories for your current vehicle(s) when you are ready to sell them. Maybe you could use it as a way to glean a few extra dollars out of the sale. When you have someone very interested in the car but a little hesitant on the price, you could offer to throw in a few acessories... their choice!
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    I've had mine for 3 weeks, so I can't tell you about any paint chipping. But I have no problem whatsoever with the interior. I don't think it looks cheap, but then again, what trim level are you going for? I have the X Limited with leather seats and think it looks great. (Keep in mind that I had a 15 year old Honda before this car though!) Someone mentioned here that the dash feels cheapish when you run your fingers over it, but a reader responded that he very rarely runs his fingers over the dash so it doesn't bother him :)