Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Thanks, good info. However you should include an average driving scenario:

Assuming 15,000 miles per year; gas cost $2.50 per gallon

Typical driving habits:
    @24 mpg Subaru uses 625 gallons of fuel per year = $1,563 cost per year
    @28 mpg Escape 4WD uses 538 gallons of fuel per year = $1,345 cost per year

Time to make back the Escape $10k purchase price difference while driving 15,000 miles per year: 46 years!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Frank
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    For highway driving, yes. On the highway I can get 24 - 25 mpg.

But for city driving, the Subaru is greatly disadvantaged.
    The hills in my area guarantee 18 - 19 mpg tops.

I'm keeping track of a relation's lexus RX450h to see how it does in the same hilly area.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I was going to write a similar post, so thanks.

46 years to recoup the cost, and that's assuming the NiMH battery pack lasts 46 years.

If we add the cost of a new battery pack every 15 years (after managing a very large pool of laptops with NiMH batteries I can say that is *extremely* optimistic) you will never actually recover the extra cost.

It will cost more, period.

The new Insight intrigues me but I know, without even breaking out the numbers, that a Fit makes a whole lot more sense from a financial stand point.
    Best small utility. Saw it on TV this weekend.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Can't stand host, John Davis. The show in general is pretty useless, in that they rarely have anything negative to say about anything. (This is not a dig at the Forester) :)
    The hills in my area guarantee 18 - 19 mpg tops.

Okay but you're driving an XT so you're not comparing apples to apples. In terms of HP, the Forester X is the closest equivalent to the Escape Hybrid and 24 mpg is a fairly realistic city/hwy avg for a vehicle rated 20/26 by the EPA. Even if you drop the avg down to 22 mpg, that's only an extra $140 a year. However, you'd also need to comparably penalize the Escape's mpg avg.

Of course a lot depends on the driver and driving conditions. My 04 XT gets 21 mpg in almost strictly city driving which beats the 19 mpg EPA rating (developed using the older less realistic standard).

-Frank
    True, the XT has a mileage penalty. But not a big one for the extra responsiveness; 1 - 2 mpg at worst case, apparently, in return for around 3 seconds of 0 - 60 mph improvement (about 7.0 .vs. 10 sec). However, XT requires premium.

The '09 Escape Hybrid does about 9 seconds from 0-60. So it is quicker and gets better mileage than the '09 Forester X auto. But, it also costs a fair bit more money.
    I cannot say whether or not a person will recover the cost differential over years of ownership.
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    If we add the cost of a new battery pack every 15 years
    Not to mention the disposal and/or recycling cost of the battery materials.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for the electric cars that will be coming out...and already were out (the EV-1) back say 10 years ago. Design limitations will require that they have a certain use. Although, recent news says the batteries of today will last twice as long as those 10 years ago. Translate that to 350 mile range rather than 150 mile range.
    Nickel is very easy to recycle, it actually poses far less of a problem then the lead-acid battery in conventional cars.

Toyota has a buy-back guarantee program for the batteries in the Prius, so if you ever found an abandoned one and were able to remove the NiMH cells you'd make a few hundred bucks.
    I like John, if only because it's been the same, reliable voice since the 1970s.

They are generally very optimistic but they will veil criticism if you read between the lines. In other words "we wish mileage were better" translates to "this thing is a gas guzzler big time".

I met John Davis at the NY Auto Show in 2006, and he was also friendly in person.
  • mlcumlcu Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the Telescoping Steering Wheel will be offered on non-XT Foresters in 2010? Right now it is only offered on XT & XT Limited models.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    No word on 2010 models yet.

Bob
    Given how much flak Subaru has gotten for the 4S AT in the turbo XT (at least from auto reviewers), I really wonder how long it will be before either the 5S or 6S MT reappears?
    How many '08 XT's did Subaru actually sell with the 5S MT?
  • asaasa Member Posts: 359
    I like John Davis and MotorWeek too -- I've watched it for 25 years now. I do like that they break away from the crowd by sometimes praising overlooked vehicles. They also take note if a vehicle burns premium gas, which often goes unremarked elsewhere.
  • shelantshelant Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. Have been enjoying the readings here for a while. It's my first post so, please be patient. I need an objective advice. I'm in the market to buy a vehicle. Not in a hurry, still have my 2002 Kia Spectra, which is a pretty awful car. So, I am in need for a space (my wife is a musician and we need to be able to fit her cello in the trunk or on the back sit without angling or bending it.) But also, on average, I put 30 to 40 K on my car a year, so the gas mileage is crucial. I live in MI. Winters are extreme here. Originally, I was planning on buying whether Prius or Camry Hybrid. But, with my recent experience of hitting the black ice multiple times this year, I have switched my attention yo the AWD or 4WD. I have recently test drove the Ford Escape 4WD(I assume, the hybrid version gives you the same drive quality) and the Subaru's Forester X and Outback 2.5i 2009. I liked the responsiveness of Forester better then ford or Outback. So, my question is, with the amount of mileage and the rough winter would I go with the hybrid over the conventional? Is it really that much difference between FWD and AWD/4WD? And if you do suggest a hybrid way, would the 2010 Prius be a good choice for me in regards of space requirements? I thank you all for being kind to a newby and appreciate any feedback.
    AWD or 4WD will not save you on black ice, as there is no traction to be had in that circumstance. AWD/4WD will get you going in the snow much easier, but have little or no effect in braking. It may be a bit better in going around corners, only because a 4 tires are grabbing for traction—but you can still skid if you're not careful.

If I lived in MI I would certainly have AWD. It just makes getting around in the snow that much easier. My sister-in-law lives in NH, and they get a lot of snow too. They used to have several FWD Saabs, and now own two AWD Subaru Outbacks. She and her husband say the Subies are so much better than the Saab in those conditions.

Subarus are very popular in snow-belt states. Not sure about MI, as there is so much pressure to buy domestic vehicles there; but if you go to New England or out to the Rockies, they're all over the place.

There's no question that a hybrid will get better gas mileage than a Subaru. My wife's '01 Forester gets in the mid-20 mpg range, which is respectable, but certainly not in the hybrid range. You just have to decide which is more important to you: getting around easily in the winter or great gas mileage.

Bob
  • smudgejetsmudgejet Member Posts: 11
    In my opinion AWD/4WD. I live in Wisconsin and can vouch that AWD/4WD will get you around better and safer in winter. You can still get stuck in drifts, but it takes a lot more snow to get you stuck. Black ice is still dangerous, like the other poster said, nothing really helps (unless your running studded tires). In Wisconsin, only emergency vehicles can use studded tires.

I drove a 2005, Escape for about 50,000 miles. I got the 4-cylinder version because of the reliability of that engine (I've got a 4-cylinder 1995 Ranger approaching 300,000 miles with only oil changes and spark plugs for the engine). Decided to I needed a new car after T-boning a vehicle that ran a stop sign. The Escape did a very good job of protecting me since it was a 65 mph crash on cruise control and no time to hit the brake.

I chose a 2009 Forester X (5sp Manual) over a 2009 Escape because I could get manual transmission and a couple of miles per gallon better performance. After about 10K miles I can say they drive very similar, your view of the road is about the same, ground clearance and winter driving performance virtually the same. I found both 4-cylinders to be adequate and a good compromise between power and fuel economy.

I could not afford (or justify) going to an Escape Hybrid. I also put on ~30K miles a year (spread over two vehicles).

If you drive around with free range dogs, you will find the center console in the Forester loses that new look in about one trip to the grocery store. The dogs' toenails will leave a lasting impression.
    Thanks everybody for your replies. It's very helpful. I'm not sure if this is the right place, but let me ask you a very important question. What is the best time to buy a Forester, considering that I want the new one (ore with no more then 5000 miles on it?) I am not in a hurry, so should I wait until the 2010 release? I'm hoping they'll fix the interior quality and some other quirks. Thanks for the input.
    Best time to by a Forester? That's a bit tough to say.

Right now, in this miserable economy, is probably the best time to buy any vehicle, as the dealers and automakers are begging for customers. Having said that, the new 2010 Forester has won a number of important awards, and it's winter time. Both those items will hurt customers when comes time to negotiate pricing. The simple fact is the new Forester is wildly popular, and Subaru dealers are having no trouble selling them; the new Forester is the main reason that Subaru sold more cars last year. You may want to consider an Outback instead, as you may(?) be able to get a better deal on that model.

As to buying a used Forester, I would advise against that, only because the new 2010 model is so much better than older models. It's a bit larger than older models which translates to being much roomier inside. The older Forester, while being an excellent car, has been long criticized for being rather cramped inside—especially for rear passengers. I suspect, if you end up buying an older model, you may regret it for that very reason.

Also, there are just a ton of tiny details that are just better executed on the 2010 model. The increased interior room and the improved refinement (quieter and more comfortable) would have me opting for the new model.

Finally, whatever Subaru you decide to purchase, make sure it has the All-Weather Package, which includes heated seats, heated outside mirrors (dries the mirrors in the rain and snow so that you can use them), and a windshield deicer (keeps the front wipers from icing up). Living in MI, you will really appreciate those features. :)

FWIW, I just found this write up on the new Forester:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2102-Denver-Autos-Examiner~y2009m2d21-2009-Subaru-Fore- - ster-X-Premium-Package

Note: He's incorrect about not having a reclining rear seat. Only base models are lacking that feature.

Bob
    Found this on current Subaru financing:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/rebates.html

Bob
    I posted some figures on Escape .vs. Forester a few topics back in this thread. The conclusion was that while the Hybrid will save money wrt day-day use, the overall expense of the hybrid takes a while to earn back. Where the hybrid earns its keep is in-city, stop-go or hilly situations. On the highway there is not much difference.

Wrt AWD .vs. FWD, in Portland both a friend and I drove FWD cars and continually had problems with the front tires skidding, or the vehicles being unable to get up wet or snowy hills. By comparison, the '09 XT I drive, outfitted with Nokian WTG2's, surmounted one of the worst winter storms hitting Portland in years (one that snowbound my friend, Prius owners and many others). Black ice remains a danger, but the Nokians reduce it somewhat.
    The only surprise I had in winter was that the Forester, supposedly biased towards its front wheels, had a tendency on icy roads to swing its rear end out during hard acceleration. It wasn't hair trigger - I had to deliberately provoke it by hard acceleration. But it's something to be careful about.
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    With the deals people in the US are able to get, (below invoice pricing), I would jump on one as soon as you find a model that has the features you want.

You folks, in the States, are very lucky with your new car pricing. Can't get those kind of deals up here, (Canada). If all the big auto-makers start cutting production, it will increase demand, and drive up the price. Basic supply and demand. Right now, there is excess supply, so get in on a deal, as soon as you can.

My wife bought an '09 F-XT back in August. She got the car she wanted for the price she was willing to pay. It's a great CUV.
  • bikerguy3bikerguy3 Member Posts: 43
    I regularly read the newspaper ads and keep up with the latest car sales. I have
    never seen so many amazing deals, especially in the compact SUV segment,
    which is very competitive due to the wide array of choices. Some dealers/mfrs are
    offering MSRP discounts of $8K-$10K (Hyundai, KIA, Jeep, etc).

I bought my '09 Forester last Feb, and because it was a new model in short supply
    I knew the dealer wouldn't negotiate much. So I purchased it thru the non-negotiated VIP pricing program (my relative works for Subaru region), and I feel I
    got a decent deal (about $22K).

In late Dec the Pacific NW got with a major snowstorm. My GF wound up
    with her BMW (w/ traction tires) stuck off the roadside. Then she experienced my
    Forester getting thru some amazing snowdrifts etc and she decided it was time...
    to buy a Forester. We checked the newspapers, and wound up at Subaru dealer in
    Oregon City. She purchased an '09 Forester X with M/T, Premium & All Weather
    packages. Her price: $500 less than my VIP pricing! (and I didn't get the AWP).
    AND - she got to donate $250 to her charity of choice. AND - we got 2 Fusion
    Mt Hood season ski passes (value:$800 +/-).

Bottom Line: while noone knows what the future will hold, now is a great time to
    buy a new CUV. And although Subaru hasn't been as aggressively discounting as
    some other brands, if you do the research and cross-shop your local dealers
    smartly, there are great deals to be had on 09 Foresters. And I don't think there
    is any overwhelming reason to wait for an '10 model. Most of the early model gripes
    noted here in this forum have been addressed as running changes to the '09's (wiring not secured; fender protectors too small, etc). And the big changes (like
    5SP A/T or diesel boxer) are still a ways off in the future... Further, Foresters traditionally have very high resale value, so for the small amount you might save I
    wouldn't recommend buying a used one.

Hope my 2 cents helps, and Good Luck!
    I like the Prius but they start at $22.5k and if that's big enough for you, so is an Impreza 2.5i 5 door, and someone just paid $16k for one of those according to the Prices Paid thread.

You won't recover $6,500 in gas costs any time soon.

Foresters starts just under $20k, but step up to the all-weather package that Bob recommended and you'll spend $23k and change.

It's bigger and better equipped than a Prius would be at that price, and you'll be able to get around in winter.

Camry hybrid is a sedan and may not be a good car to haul your cello. I don't think the rear seats fold down.

Escape hybrid's financials don't make sense, even if gas spikes to $4 per gallon, see the numbers above.

But the real reason you should get a Forester is because you drove it and liked the responsiveness. If you ever feel unsure about the purchase just turn on the seat heaters in the middle of your next snow storm and you can put those doubts to rest.
    Prius's are miserable in snow. The traction control, which cannot be turned off, will essentially shut the car down when the wheels slip.
    Those owning Priuses here in Portland have to run with chains or studs whenever it snows.
    You also will not get as good mileage in winter because the engine needs to run to provide heat to cabin and defrosters.

However, in S. Calif or other places where roads are generally dry and it's warm, hybrids will save a lot of fuel.
    Prius's are miserable in snow. The traction control, which cannot be turned off, will essentially shut the car down when the wheels slip.

I remember reading that some time ago. Thanks for the reminder. :)

Bob
    Motor Trend is apparently testing a 2.5 X '09 Forester for long term. With 6000 miles on it, so far they are pleased, save for the rear plastic squeaks, and glitches with Navigation and Satellite radio.
    Thank you so much for your story. I'm strongly leaning towards the forester. I have tried it again today in a different dealer shop. I was reassured with the driving quality. And it was a lot of fun in the snow (I made the dealer, who was riding with me scared :) Now, I'm trying the RAV4. I'll keep you posted of my impressions. It's a lot of snow today in Ann Arbor. Look forward to see, how the Toyota's ride is.
    BTW, I already got the quote : msrp 25134

sale price 23318 plus tax, title plate and doc fee

$25038.95 out the door plus plate

financing up to 72 mos at 4.9 percent

Could you guys let me know if it's any good

Thanks
    Forgot to mention that I am looking for the Forester 2009 X, AT with the Premium and all weather packages. The dealer DID NOT mention if it has extra accessories (Dimming mirror, Gargo tray and cover, bumper covers, so on)
    So, is 23318+tax+doc fee (???)+ plate a good price?
    Not that sure about pricing...mine was an XT. Foresters are pretty popular now but if your dealer has a lot they may be more flexible.

Would be good to play with the RAV4 in the snow. It's AWD system is quite different from the Foresters. It is a reactive system unless you manually lock the differential (electric control inside the cabin), and that mode only works up to 25 mph.
    But if it works for you, that is what matters.
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    My experience with my 09 Forester AT versus an 07 CR V is that the active AWD is superior to the reactive systems -- its working before you get into trouble, not just after -- I was able to experience the difference in certain situations I deliberately set up. In most situations the CR V or RAV 4 will do just fine, but its good to know you've got a little extra working for you in case you need it.

Bill
    My experience with RAV4 vs Forester is:
    RAV - better acceleration from start (both cars have 4 cylinder and AT)
    Forester - better brakes and significantly better overall driving feeling (at least to me.) Bumpy roads feel softer and smoother in Forester, road noise on high way is WAY less. Seat's comfort is about the same (not too comfy :( )
    Forester - a slight lead in an interior quality (personally, I like Forester's cleanliness of the interior's design and layout.) Quality of the cloth is better, plastic has a softer touch. Also, I have not experienced any rattles in Forester (I tried 2 different vehicles.)
    RAV's cargo seems little bit bigger (I could be wrong, didn't measure it,) but the back door is in the wrong position. A design flaw IMO.
    I cannot forgive Subaru that there is no optional DUAL zone a/c, I need it really badly to keep peace in my family.
    So, I am not in love yet, but definitely have a major crush on Subie. :blush:
    It's really hard to say if $23,318 is the best price available, as dealer discounts to
    the MSRP vary widely in different regions/markets (I've been told by friends in the
    car business that Portland OR is one of the most competetive and highly
    discounted markets in the country...).

So - while $2K (+/-) off MSRP is not anything to get super excited about, it's also
    safe to say that this is not a bad price. Especially at this time of year (winter) in
    a snowy state, and with all the praise and awards that the Forester has received
    lately.

Here in the Portland market, you could pretty easily buy this vehicle for about
    $22K. Or the Limited model (leather, fog lamps, CD stacker, auto climate, etc)
    for $24,500.
    Dual Zone AC is in the Outback (upper level models), but not the Forester.
    Dual Zone AC is only available in the RAV4 Limited.

The best Forester seats are in the X limited and XT limited (10 way power, which are similar to those in the upper level Outbacks), and are Leather only.

A quick comparison of Limited models showed the Toyota having better load capacity, slightly more hp and fuel economy (toyota does make very efficient engines), and dual zone AC for Toyota, but an optional instead of standard moonroof for toyota, and cloth instead of leather for Toyota seats.

The Forester X Premium doesn't have leather but will be cheaper and still has the moon roof. Toyota's web site doesn't allow comparison of the Subaru forester X-Premium with 4S AT.

RAV4 has slightly more interior cargo space, but its rear door prevents big boxes from loading (Subaru showed this in their marketing demos, which you can find on YouTube). I too found the rear door cumbersome (Toyota's been very stubborn about that - worse, it's hinged for Japan, not the USA)

I'd try driving these two a bit more to make sure what you are looking for will be in the vehicle you choose.
    Also, which dealer has the better reputation for service?

It took me a drive in the RAV4, 6 drives of the Outback and 2 drives of the Forester (both of those were done in conjunction with the Outback drives) before I finally decided.
    the back door is in the wrong position. A design flaw IMO.

Indeed, it's that way for right-hand drive markets and they were too cheap to flip it around for LHD. How much does a hinge cost anyway?

Not only does it block curb side access, but also you need about 80 feet behind you if you ever parallel park to open the thing.

I liked that V6 but I went straight to a Sienna. The RAV4 had that door issue, and the Highlander's 3rd row seat doesn't split fold. The Sienna had no such obvious flaw.

I think $23k is fine, in fact that's what I predicted if you read back a bit.

No dual zone but it works for us. If I'm cold I turn on the heated seats, I don't reach for the temp gauge. Wifey tends to wear a heavier jacket than I do, so she just uses the heated seats less often.
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775

Newer Priuses (2006 and later I think) have a switch to turn the traction control off. The switch was added because of the snow issues.
    My 07 Sienna has a TRAC off button, must be the same way.

Going up my snowy driveway the TRAC simple retards all your momentum and gets in your way. It just stops climbing.
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    Yep, there's my favourite rant on the RAV4. I can't beleive that it would cost so much to switch that door over, especially given the number of units sold with LHD. Another problem I had was that my boys couldn't open and close it by themselves due largely to the weight. This begins as a safety issue as they end up flailing around on the traffic side of the vehicle to do it and means I would be doing it repeatedly - a huge convenience issue as they get dropped off for school or their various sports.
    Lo and behold, I discovered a worn spot inside the grip area of the arm rest (where my index finger would touch when closing the door). The paint is completely gone from that area.

My dealer's assistant service manager took a picture to show the manager. I was not sure whether or not this will be covered under warranty. My XT's not even a year old.

In any event, the interior paint's a weak spot, and the challenge is, after the bare spot is fixed, to coat or cover the internal painted parts to prevent their paint from wearing off.
    I wish Subaru had done a better job with the interior :sick:
    Sorry to hear about your premature excessive wear on the interior paint. Thanks to
    this forum, I went out last week and checked the exterior rear fenders on my
    early production model '09 Forester. Sure enough - there is significant paint
    chipping just above the area where the clear plastic film fender protectors are
    located. I called the Subaru dealer (where I purchased vehicle), and they "seemed"
    to be unaware of this issue....until I had them pull up the TSB (which, again, thanks
    to this forum I was able to give them)...suddenly, they were responsive.

So I now have my Forester scheduled to go into the shop next week for 3 days to
    be repainted and have the larger fender protectors installed.

Needless to say, I am optimistically hopeful that the repair will be done right and
    I'll have no further issues. I'm not happy right now about having to have my less
    than 1 yr old vehicle re-painted...

Will keep all of you posted on how this plays out...
    What is TSB and would mind posting a link if you can find it on-line? Thank you so much. I didn't make the dealer bent as much as I wanted, so I had to postpone the purchase at this time. I'll save some money :) My car is still running well, so I'll wait until it's clear with the rumored Forester 2010 diesel.
  • mgagnemgagne Member Posts: 8
    Here is a link to TSB: you must register before downloading PDF files. Some are the official Subaru TSB, so you will have now problem to verify them with the dealer, they will have to do the job.

Michel Quebec

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f106/
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    The automatic climate control system, in the Forester and the Impreza is horrible. Absolute junk. You did not mention, in your post, whether you had manual or automatic climate control.

I have not had the problems that you have had, but for the first 40 minutes of driving, it has only two settings; too hot and too cold. After about 40 minutes, it seems to "figure itself out", and manages to set itself properly.

I had an '08 Impreza 2.5i, with manual climate control, and it worked fantastic. I could always jet the air to the temperature I wanted, instantly. Since selling it, and buying an '09 STI, I am constantlly fighting with it. My wife has an '09 Forester XT, and same issue; always fighting with it... too hot, too cold, too hot, too cold.
  • karen39karen39 Member Posts: 1
    Somehow in the first few days that I owned my new 2009 Forester - I about knocked myself out entering the riders side front door to get some stuff out. The door got me right in the forehead - blood and big bump. Today, about a month later, a customer of mine (I'm a real estate agent) did the same thing. Anyone else have this problem?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I don't see it mentioned so I'll chime in. No matter what you decide to buy, you should be running snow tires in the winter in Michigan.

TSB = technical service bulletin. Not sure if this is what you're asking, but that's how I'll answer it. Someone who has it can provide the link.
  • jgrovemanjgroveman Member Posts: 2
    I am writing to today to inform you about the poor customer treatment that my family has received from Subaru Corporation of America. Upon leaving the U.S. Navy, after serving eight years, I returned from overseas duty and took a Federal position with a DC-based agency. My family and I made the difficult decision of what new automobile would be safe for my wife and our infant daughter. Based on good reviews from Consumer Reports, we choose to invest in the newly redesigned 2009 Subaru Forester and purchased the vehicle in Syracuse, NY in May 2008. Rather than taking a loan for the vehicle we nearly used our entire savings to buy the vehicle for cash to avoid monthly bank charges.

Beginning in Aug 08 we noticed that our air conditioning system in the hot sun would only run cold at the very lowest setting. Even one or two degrees above the bottom setting and very hot air would come out. We took it back to Romano Subaru in New York and sought warranty service. They discovered that nearly our entire Freon tank was empty and Romano thought that refilling it would fix the problem. After one day the vehicle was back to blowing out hot air. After a second attempt to get it fixed, the dealer recognized the problem but said they could not find the source. That maybe it just worked that way. They were willing to "just replace the compressor" but didn't think it would fix the problem. We told them not to bother, realizing we were already moving to Vienna, VA in Oct 08 for my DC job, and said that we would just have it looked at in Virginia.

We lived with the problem for a few weeks while we got settled in DC and decided to bring the car in after the New Year, the problem never changing. Farrish Subaru took the car in for service and realized that our Freon was near empty again. They decided to put dye into the system and have us run the car for a week to see where a leak may be. We returned and they found a tube leaking and ordered the part. We returned Feb 19th and they took two days to replace the part, saying that the AC was fixed. They dropped the car back off Feb 20th and I tested the car that evening. Within 2 minutes of lukewarm air, on the AC setting, hot air came out again. I returned to the dealership on Feb 21st and showed their repair representative Stan the heating problem. He drove the car around their lot for 5 minutes and returned saying that he couldn't figure it out, the AC worked the day before, but now it didn't, and he couldn't hear the compressor kick on. They gave us a rental car.

That evening, based on 4 attempts to get the problem resolved, I faxed a letter to Subaru of America saying that we wanted final resolution for the problem or we would have no choice but to label the vehicle a lemon.

On Feb 23rd we spoke to Stan again who said they could not figure out the problem and they were going to contact the manufacturer to seek assistance with the repair. Furthermore, Stan said that they tested the heated air being released as 119F, which then cooled down to 105F after a few minutes. Hours later we received a phone call from Subaru of America Senior Customer Service Representative Deloria Marshall who said she would investigate.

On Feb 24th we received a call from Stan from Farrish Subaru that they could not find the source of the problem, they compared our vehicle to another new Subaru Forester, its AC did not have the same problem as ours, but that because they couldn't figure it out, they were assuming that they fixed our problem, and that "our" AC must just work that way.

On Feb 25th we attempted twice to contact Deloria Marshall who did not return our call. On Feb 26th we attempted to contact Deloria Marshall who promptly answered the phone, obviously screening our calls, "Hello Ms. Schiffman, I still don't have an answer for you." Later that day, she called and said that they are sending a tech rep from Headquarters on Thursday, Mar 5 to see the car because the dealer was now saying that they couldn't figure out our problem and that the dealer says it must be "fixed."

I called that evening and spoke to Deloria. I asked her point blank if the reason they were sending a Headquarters representative on Mar 5 was to rubber stamp our car "fixed." I told her that doing this would not remove our right to seek legal assistance. I told her that we were worried what 119F air would do to our infant daughter and how a non-functioning AC would affect our daughter in the summer. She said that the sole reason they were sending a representative on Mar 5 was to find the problem and fix it. She said they were a small company and care about their customers.

At 11:01AM Feb 27th I left a message on Deloria Marshall's answering machine that I wanted to attend the Headquarters tech representative's visit on Mar 5th. Furthermore, I was wondering if I could bring a privately hired, independent car technician to the Mar 5 appointment.

At roughly 1PM Feb 27th, my wife received a phone call from Farrish Subaru that the Headquarters tech representative had just shown up at the dealership and certified the vehicle as "fixed." That we had until that evening to pick up our car.

The primary reason we are worried about our non-functional AC is because of our infant daughter. We paid in cash for a vehicle that we trusted to be safe and reliable and regret our purchase. Subaru of America's senior customer service representative swore to me that their Headquarters representative was coming to help. Now certifying it fixed days in advance of the original appointment binds our hands.
    __sometimes__ this person is helpful to owners. He's been referred to at other Subaru forums:

Tim Colbeck, VP Sales
    Subaru of America

He's located at Subaru's New Jersey office: address should be at Subaru website or found by web search.

Good luck! ;)
    The automatic climate control system, in the Forester and the Impreza is horrible

I quickly figured out that trying to use the auto climate control was an exercise in futility so I switched it to manual mode. Now 5 years later, I've been perfectly happy leaving it that way.

-Frank.
    I blame the trend towards metal-look paint rather than trim that was just one color all the way through, not painted.

My 98 Forester has plain old black trim. Even if you cut or scraped it, it was black all the way through.

Our 2002 Legacy had a near-black metallic paint on some of it's trim. It actually wore well, we had that car for 6+ years. It may have helped that the color was similar to the color of the plastic behind it.

Now in 2009 they use what I call "pluminum", i.e. plastic painted to look like aluminum trim. It's lighter so whatever wears really shows the black plastic behind it.

They should just go back to using unpainted plastic trim. It may be cheap but it lasts forever.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Amen to that.

I really like the look and feel of the interior dash & door materials in my '96 Outback. It was very similar to the look/feel of the '92 Camry materials, so maybe that was the "style of the '90s." Whatever it was, it looked nice, felt nice, and lasted. The worst wear that showed on that car was the steering wheel, where the textured look of the vinyl had worn smooth after 220,000 miles of driving. But, it still looked nice.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250