Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's not bad on Imprezas, sort of a rust/orange.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm not sure I've seen those in person. I'll keep an eye out.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    What's the black tag on the side of the passenger seatback? Designer label? Safety warning? Would look much better without. :confuse:
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    On my '08 Outback, there were "SRS Airbag" labels on the sides of the seat backs for the side air bags, if I recall correctly. Perhaps that is it?

Oh, actually, now that I go back and look, if you are talking about the little black tag sewn into the top of the seam along the side, yes, that is exactly what it is.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Yeah, I hope the rendition is awful, because otherwise those colors are simply hideous. I miss the days of deep reds, greens, and blues.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    You know, after looking at that brochure, I think I will drive a Forester along with the new Legacy and Outback models when I get back up here from the Lower 48. Hopefully my local dealership will have all of the newest models in stock by then.
    There's something hard to quantify about the Forester.

On paper, our 2002 Legacy was a better car than our 1998 Forester, but the Forester was just more....fun? Tossable? Accessible? User friendly?

All of the above, really.

And my wife likes the 2009 model much better than the 1998 (I like both, in fact I miss my manual transmission at times). To her, our 2002 Legacy was a distant 3rd. To me as well, come to think of it.

Try one out.
  • subarukeith10subarukeith10 Member Posts: 2
    The Limited Foresters do not have faux wood trim. I sell Subaru's and drive an 09 and find no problem with the silver finish. Maybe you are light sensitive.
  • subarukeith10subarukeith10 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 Forester in Paprika Red in stock at Schaumburg Subaru. The new color looks great on the Forester, stop in and ask for me.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The only problem with the '09/10 XT silver finish is it's very easy to damage.
    The plastics, in particular, have no protective coat over the paint.

A pity Subaru does not at least offer an option of "tuffcoat" finishes.
    How would you compare it to Camilla Red Pearl?

Lighter? More orange-ish in the color? Is it metallic or pearl?

The on-line PDF file doesn't really display the colors well at all.
    This is funny, a new distributor just opened in my home town of Recife, Brazil, so my brother is now shopping for a Forester. Hilarious.

Automobiles are taxed heavily there, so his price is roughly the equivalent of $44,000 US dollars. Ouch.

Still, it's priced between a Kia Sportage and a Honda CR-V. So compared to local alternatives, it's actually a good value.
  • tinycadontinycadon Member Posts: 287
    I remember someone was having problems with this earlier in a thread, I took mine out yesterday, it was relatively easy, unhooked the side cylinder, popped the hooks on the bottom, twisted the glove compartment to the right and out it came. I didn't replace the filter, I just pulled it out and sprayed it clean with a hose. Dried it out for a few hours and then popped it back in. Glove compartment went back in fairly easy, probably took a total of 5 minutes to take off and put on, no tools, AND no 35-40 bucks for a stupid air filter!!!
    Cool. You didn't happen to get photos of the process of removing the glove box, did you?
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    To me it looks A LOT more orangy, and it is a lighter color than the other red.. It is kinda metallic.

They have brochures at my local dealer now. Also, the Impreza comes in the same color, so they should have some at your local dealer to check out the color.
    The colors in the online PDF are all out of wack, so don't go by that. I have the actual 2010 Forester brochure, and the colors are fine there.

Bob
    The funny thing is, I never thought seeing another model in the same color was a good indication of how it would look. The Forester is taller and bigger and probably has a lot more paint on it.

Well, maybe not if you got the moonroof. :D
    I don't know how to post pictures, if you know how to post pictures I'll take some and post them for you?
  • babootbaboot Member Posts: 3
    We recently purchased a 2009 Subaru Forester Limited. Just now when attaching my EZ Pass, I noticed what seems to be a solar shield (?) above the rear view mirror that is about a 16" x 4". This is exactly where I want to install the velcro adhesives for the transponder. But, I am wondering if the EZ Pass will work. I am thinking perhaps not.

Any one have any experience with this or know anything about this "shield" and if transponders are blocked by it?
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Hi there...I have a 2009 limited also and the solar shield is great. Yes, the EZpass works!
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Set up your CarSpace profile page at http://www.carspace.com/tinycadon - you can build photo albums there for all to view. Just upload the photos into an album from your computer, and everyone can go to your page and see them.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • calessancalessan Member Posts: 18
    I installed mine just below that solar shield, to the right of the mirror. Works fine!
  • bohoboho Member Posts: 5
    I'm buying a S.F. in a month and want to do it as cheaply as possible. Prefer no options except for automatic transmission which my wife demands. Is there any option you think is really desirable? I'm retired and will be driving around Boulder, CO, so except for some trips to ski resorts, pretty mundane driving. I'd like your opinion on really useful options?
  • barneyapplebarneyapple Member Posts: 10
    the radio system is horrible- probably better to get after market. i got a sweet deal from Lori at flatirons in boulder
    If you're living in Colorado I would absolutely recommend the All-Weather-Package (AWP). It includes heated seats (a winter must-have!), heated outside mirrors (dries the mirrors in the rain and snow), and the windshield deicer (helps prevent ice buildup on the front wipers).

This package is not available on the base Forester X, but is optional on the X Premium, and is standard on Limited models.

I know you want to save money, but I really think this is worth the extra money. We have it on two of our Subarus, and would never buy another Subaru without the AWP. The first time you use the bun warmers on cold winter morning, you will be sold, I guarantee it. :)

Bob
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    It will work!! If you are not sure, next time passing through toll booth hold it up with your hand, but I have had a few vehicles with that "shield" and no problem
  • billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    I have the 2.5X with 4AT and love it.

I agree -- the only option I wish I had is the wiper de-icer and mirror heater -- but, these become very expensive considering you must upgrade to the premium.

Winter wiper blades do help with ice and snow, especially if the car sits out overnight in winter.

Bill
    Well, if you're going to live with a vehicle for 5 or more years, I'd get as much car as I can afford. Perhaps better stated is get a car with the features you want. Otherwise you may have regrets.

I've never been one to buy the "cheapest" car out there. Every time I've done that, I've been sorry in the long run.

Bob
  • connieyleeconnieylee Member Posts: 29
    Agreed. I had a base model honda for 15 yrs as I'm pretty utilitarian. I upgraded to this Fozzie and LOVE it...didn't know I could love a car. I love the huge moonroof, the leather heated seats are so nice as they heat up before the heater does, and the 6-way power seats come in super handy.

I had had some reservations going for jump in price from the premium vs the limited, but no regrets now. I do believe the 2010 premium has the moonroof and heated seats, although they're not leather.
    I do appreciate where you guys are coming from, and agree 100%, do not leave out something you will later regret.

The key words in the original post were: "as cheaply as possible" and "retired".

I am also retired and a major issue for me was: I do not want a moon roof. So, everyone has his own preferences. Its unfortunate the builders do not offer more combinations.

One other negative on the base is that the passanger seat has no height adjustment -- so, if someone is going to be riding there a lot, have them check it out.

These really are fine cars, with or without all the extras.

Bill
  • robert142robert142 Member Posts: 18
    I am light sensitive. But the vertical bars appear as a distraction. (I am getting used to them) From the corner of my eye the one closest to the driver's side sometimes looks like a lever or handle to pull down or do something with.

Otherwise like the car.
  • gtscharggtscharg Member Posts: 5
    I just got a "base" 09 Forester with automatic. The only thing I could not live without was a subwoofer, runs about $400 installed, and since the stock stereo is decent (4 speakers, MP3 input, CD) it makes it sound really good. Rear cargo mat is good investment for those snowy ski boots and/or gardening type runs (saves your carpet) as are all-weather floor mats for winter (if you plan to go skiing fairly frequently). The base model does NOT come with luggage rails, so without adding something up there, you will have to transport skis in the cabin (split fold down rear seat) which will work but reduce your capacity to 3 passengers. Mudguards would keep the car cleaner in rain and snowy/slushy conditions or during "mud season" but in Boulder that's not too much of an issue. The car is very easy to drive, I compare it favorably to our 08 Outback XT Limited (turbo). Live up above Rollinsville, Boulder is our "everything" town.
    Even with the Premium trim, the AWP is an option; it used to be standard on this mid-trim level a few years ago. I would venture to guess, that most Colorado Subaru dealers will equip all their Premium models with that option.

I live in Maryland (not nearly as cold or nasty as Colorado can get), and my dealer told me recently that all Forester Premiums they order to sit on their lot will be equipped with the AWP. Oh, they will special-order without the AWP, if that's what the customer wants, but they won't stock them as most customers opt for it anyway.

Bob
  • gtscharggtscharg Member Posts: 5
    Agree with Bill. $21K vs $24K is a major factor. Having an 09 Forester X (base) automatic, I too would like the AWP (heated seats, mirrors, wipers) but by going with the "premium" version you have to get the moonroof, 17 inch aluminum wheels (more $ for tires), dark tinted rear glass (does not really help in parking lot situations). Subaru went to this strategy with the last iteration (08-09) OB XT Limited, where in order to get the "juice" you had to get the whole enchilada (moonroof, leather, CD Changer). On the 05 and 06 models, you could get the OB XT Turbo without all that junk, and believe me I tried to find one of those, but was too late, so we got the 08 OB XT Limited. We never use the sunroof, leather is nice, but cloth is actually more comfortable here in CO where the leather gets HOT in summer and COLD in winter. Remote start was a necessity and it was standard on the OB we also own.
    Hello all,

I am having problems with rough cold starts with 2.5x 4AT.

Service dept. diagnosed as loosing fuel pressure sitting overnight and replaced the fuel pump.
    Did not fix the problem.

With the view that it may be a fuel pressure problem, here is my question:

I have noticed, when accelerating slightly up a slight grade, about 20 mph, 2nd gear, 2500-3000 rpm at some point there is a noticeable surge in power even though accelerator pedal is held constant and gear not changed.

Is this normal? Something is kicking in to cause increased acceleration -- or -- could it be related to fuel pressure problems or something normal? Do you experience this?

I am trying to decide what is normal, and whether to mention it to service dept.
    Service dept. wants Subaru rep. to see car.

Thanks,

Bill
  • robert142robert142 Member Posts: 18
    I notice a slight windshield distortion along the bottom 3 or 4 inches. Seems to run across the entire bottom of the windshield.. I notice it most when I am in the passenger right side seat which is lower.

Anyone else notice this?
  • Den5276Den5276 Member Posts: 4
    I had an experience like that in a Ford Ranger. In addition to that, it would constantly surge forward while in gear,stopped at a light and the brake was pressed. If in netural, the surge would stop. After many guesses by the Ford service dept, they found an electronic sensor that was faulty in connection with fuel flow to engine. After replacing it, no more surging. Sorry, don't ask me what it was called, it's been a while since I had that problem. I do rememeber hearing a 'CLICK'ing sound just before the surge. This may not be much help, but it might be something like I had. A 'fuel sensor ' problem.
    Thanks for the reply,

I agree, a bad sensor associated with fuel supply seems a likely cause of the problems.

Bill
    Well, one thing about Subaru is that you can at least get heated seats in the mid-level Premium models. Most other carmakers (Honda, Toyota, etc.) force you to get the top-level model if you want heated seats.

Bob
    Juice, uploaded the pictures to my album, not sure why but apparently the 1st photo entered ends up at the end of picture set? Don't really understand why, or why I can't re-arrange the photos once they're in the album, but the last photo on the bottom is actually the 1st and the 1st photo in the album is actually the last. Hope these photos are useful?

http://www.carspace.com/tinycadon/Albums/InteriorAirFilter/
  • birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    Hello again, what an annoying rattle from the sunroof headliner when opened fully. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a fix? Any info is appreciated. Already took care of the rear seat lock rattles using foam in the locks..
  • iamrodiamrod Member Posts: 4
    Hi Bill,

I am experiencing the exact same thing you are describing. It doesn't happen every single time, but I'd say about 80% of the time I come out of a cold start. Definitely fires up right away, but just as you describe after the rev it feels like it's going to stall out on me, but doesn't.

And like you the engine sounds really rough until it warms up a few minutes later.

You're not alone! :)
    Yep, I get that rattle from time to time as well. Haven't really focused on fixing it (if possible) as I don't notice it all that much. But it has happened to me a couple of times.
    Same thing with my '09 Forester Limited. Definitely notice it during the down swing on the acceleration. I have 4,300 miles on it and will be mentioning it during the next maintenance visit.
    Thanks for the reply.

Have you been to the dealer? Please keep me posted about any resolution.

In my case:

Dealer kept car overnight. Decided it was a faulty fuel pump -- unable to maintain fuel pressure when sitting overnight. Replaced fuel pump. Did not fix problem.

Service Manager wants to arrange for Subaru Rep to see car -- says "it can't happen" (without getting a check engine light). He ask me to call him back tomorrow.

I will keep you posted. Please do same.

Bill
    They will be when the time comes. Thanks for taking the time to document that. I'd done it for my 1998 model and it came in handy for others.

It was easier back then because it was below the glove box, not behind it.
  • xiraxira Member Posts: 2
    I have an 09 XT and would like to bring it in to the dealer to see if I have one of the cars that might have an engine failure. One member said Subaru issued a test kit to check for the impending bearing failure that causes the blown engine-- the test kit apparently checks the oil for metal particles.

My local Subaru dealer said they have nothing of the kind -- no such kit-- and they are "not a chemical lab" so they cannot help me. They were not very pleasant.

Any suggestions?

I have 10,000 miles on my car and I did bring it in last fall for the earlier recall (for something else). It is running fine to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks.
    Next time you change your oil, just drain the magnetic drain plug for any metal shavings (or ask a mechanic you trust to do it for you).

I'm sure it's fine.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    The kits do exist. Subaru's tech service bulletin about the small number of turbos at the beginning of '09 going bad specifically discussed the test procedure which involved sampling oil from a potentially bad engine.

I'd recommend another dealer.

Subaru dealers vary widely in terms of mechanic competence and helpfulness. Sounds like you went to a bad one.
  • noey8noey8 Member Posts: 16
    I'm in the market for the new Forester (I'm new to Subaru). I'm located in the north east so I experience some good winters. I am familiar with the different AWD setups from the 2 trannies. I currently drive a manual.

My questions are for those who have already experienced both trannies in the 2009/10 Forester (or previous models if it is similar): For winter driving, which tranny is more favourable and has a better AWD? How is the manual gearbox as far as the throws and smoothness? How is the autobox altogether? Which tranny maximizes the engine's power more? What kind of mileage are you getting?

I'd like to hear some experiences from both sides.

Thanks in advance.