Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Subaru Forester

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    If that was a manual (we don't know that), it likely had a low range. This video was from the Ukraine, I believe. If it did have a low range, it would certainly have helped in that sand.

Bob
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796
    Oh, gotcha. I completely misinterpreted what you wrote, there. :blush:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    noey8noey8 Member Posts: 16
    I'm in the market for a 2010 forester and have been doing some research for quite some time now. I was really curious as to what transmission had a better performing awd (offroad). I actually contacted the owner of that red forester in the vid and he verified that it was an automatic.
  • Options
    rich28rich28 Member Posts: 23
    Wouldn't the vehicle perform better in the sand with vdc off? That way, it's more like 4wd then awd.

Also, I'd like to see the Forester navigate the 4wd area in the Outer Banks, especially the steep ramps over the dunes. Whose gonna video that one???
  • Options
    I am not going to comment on the AWD systems themselves, but without a low range, I sure find maneuvering a Subaru in off-road situations a lot easier with an auto versus a manual. I don't have any problem doing it with my old pickup truck, but the Subaru engine does not have nearly the torque and the Subaru also has a much more precise "trigger point" on the clutch pedal. That's just me, though.

That said, it didn't keep me from buying a manual. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Also note that the non-turbo '09 (and probably '10) X appear to have a faster throttle tip-in than the XT.
    You'll notice it mostly in 1st gear at stoplights or at low speeds, where a tap of the throttle has the X jumping forward where the XT simply moves forward.

Also, the '09 XT's turbo boost appears to start around 2500 rpm and is pretty much all there just over 3000 rpm.

That's my experiences, anyway...your mileage may differ ;)
  • Options
    volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    I disagree there Juice, I'm pretty sure at the rev range you'd be running from a standing start that you'd see more torque from the n/a XS than the turbo. If you're up to 3k revs where the turbo starts pulling away, you'll certainly be spinning the wheels, defeating the purpose.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, guess so. At that rpm the turbo is in vacuum mode anyway, not providing boost until pressure builds.

Also, the n/a engine has a higher compression ratio and would make more power until the boost does arrive (hence the term "turbo lag" - you get slightly less power, then much more).

I think both of those were automatics.

The first did not appear to have traction control, but the 2nd did. There was much less wheelspin with the 2nd one. It was more controlled.
  • Options
    My guess is older Foresters used a Limited slip rear dif to try to handle the side-side torque transfer, while new '09 and up Foresters rely on brake-based VTC for this task.

Apparently, the '10 Outback 3.6R (and the '09) has both LSD in back and VTC. The new rear suspension in the '10 appears to have tamed the swing-out the earlier models showed in some testing.
  • Options
    The XT and XS had the rear viscous limited-slip diff, but I think the base X model only had an open diff. The front diff was open on all models.

That meant zero or 1 axles were "managed" for traction.

Now VDC manages both axles, even on the base model. That's an important improvement.

And note that many competitors have traction control or AWD acting at any given time, often not both. The Forester lets them act in unison. That's why if you watch the video again, all 4 wheels are accelerating, and forward progress is easy even from a dead stop in soft sand.
  • Options
    26cars26cars Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the utube link, watched a bunch of the others there as well. Gives me a new appreciation of the capabilities of this little truck! Although I'll probably pass on the rock crawling and jumping. :sick:
  • Options
    billwvbillwv Member Posts: 48
    "Now VDC manages both axles, even on the base model. That's an important improvement."

Yes -- I think the VDC, VTC, AWD and 4AT are all electronically integrated to produce a very effective system.

I've been very impressed with handling in snow.

Bill
  • Options
    We haven't had enough snow to really challenge our Forester.

They say this year we'll have more snow here in the DC area, if so we'll see.

My Miata has summer tires so it's absolutely out of the question in bad weather. Our van in FWD and the stability control is too intrusive, though it's better when you turn it "off".

Still, the Forester will do all the snow duty, no question.
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    OK, so I'm undecided, and I'm asking for your help. Driven stick all my life, but last two vehicles have been automatics because the Highlander doesn't come in stick. Honda dropped the manual trans option from the CR-V and Toyota did the same on the RAV-4. Which leaves me shopping for a Subaru Forester.

I've driven 2010 Forester XT Premium in both Auto and Manual. The manual was nice, and the Auto was very good for an auto. In Manual-mode, it even seems to rev-match on a downshift going into a corner. But these were both 3 mile test drives at best.

So what do y'all think? Also, anyone have the quick-shifter installed? A review of the before/after experience would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    I don't think Forester XT comes with a manual. Do you mean Forester X premium?
  • Options
    Since 2009, the Forester XT is 4 spd AT only. It offers a sport shift mode improves responsiveness at expense of mileage.

It's a decent 4 spd auto and works well with its cruise control, but over 75 the engine's spinning close to 3000 rpm.
  • Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    With the torque available from the turbo engine, the top-gear ratio seems unnecessarily short, especially for an automatic, where a kick-down is just a toe nudge away. I would think that 2500 or even 2200 RPM would be plenty at 75 MPH. :sick:

I'm still bummed that the XT is no longer available in the USA with a stick. :(
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The Forester is LONG overdue for either a 5 speed auto or a CVT. 2011 or 2012 models will probably finally get one of these transmissions.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, the current 5 spd AT used in H6 models is not made by Subaru and is in limited supply, hence its limited usage by Subaru.

Subaru has stated they plan to move the CVT into more vehicles, with the Forester being a likely choice for 2012 model year.

Whether the CVT will become robust enough to replace the 4spd AT in the XT models, or H6 Legacy/Outback models, remains to be seen.
  • Options
    ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Yup, sure did mean X Premium. That's what I get for putting up a post after midnight.

So, with the non-turbo model, same question - Manual or Auto?
  • Options
    Its all a matter of personal choice...

I have the 4AT and am happy with it. I use the manual mode going down hills for engine braking, which works well -- I live in WV.

But, the manual mode is no substitute for a stick shift if that is your thinking.

Bill
  • Options
    When you stated "quick-shifter," did you mean the short-throw shifter?
  • Options
    Manual.

Spend $800 or so less to begin with.

CR got 25 mpg vs. 22 mpg for the automatic, despite what EPA lab tests say the MT5 wins in the real world.

And...it's quicker.

A new clutch is a few hundred, a new automatic is a few thousand.

Having said all that my wife got an automatic - she really wanted the Limited and that's the only way it comes.
  • Options
    bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    If I were buying one, I'd absolutely get the manual transmission -- and that's not to say that the automatic is "bad", it's just that there's truly no substitute for having a true manual transmission.

All of my cars have had manual transmissions, but for my most recent purchase (an 05 Honda Element) I decided to go with an auto-trans because an AWD Element with a manual transmission is nearly impossible to come by around here (pre-owned, anyways). Every time I get in my Element, I regret not holding out until I found a manual transmission model...and I LOVE everything else about the car, but have grown to hate the 4sp auto transmission. It drives me crazy in the mountains, although around town it's not too bad.

Both of my Subarus that I owned previously had manuals and were fun to drive -- and the benefit (I believe) of having the 50:50 default split of the AWD was preferable to me over the 90:10 split of the auto Subarus. And, as already mentioned, most evidence suggests much better fuel economy with the manual transmission.

Advice? Buy the manual Forester... :)
  • Options
    pharmd718pharmd718 Member Posts: 78
    Just got this email from Subaru:

During a quality review, we discovered that under certain severe driving patterns, such as high speed highway/uphill driving and/or accelerating with high engine revolutions, the efficiency of your vehicle’s catalytic converter may begin to degrade beyond design parameters. (The “Check Engine” light will illuminate to alert you if the catalytic converter efficiency has degraded beyond an acceptable level and if your vehicle may be releasing air pollutants that exceed Federal or California emission standards.) To prevent this condition, Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic that will improve management of the catalytic converter. This software change will not adversely affect the performance of your vehicle.

WHAT WE ARE ASKING YOU TO DO PROMPTLY
    We suggest that you schedule an appointment with your Subaru dealer as soon as possible to have your vehicle’s Engine Control Module software reprogrammed. The approximate time to perform this update is 40 minutes. However, it may be necessary for you to leave your car for a longer period on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your dealer flexibility in scheduling other appointments. Your Subaru dealer will perform this repair at no cost to you.
  • Options
    I got the same email--

Doesn't sound urgent...

Any ideas on what the reprogramming will consist of?

I think I'll wait until I know more about it. Hopefully including input from this forum.

Bill
  • Options
    have not had any email yet wrt the cat converter. Mine's '09 XT.
  • Options
    Only applies to PZEV, viz"

"Service Program WVM-23 (2006 - 2009 Legacy / Outback or 2008 - 2010 Forester 2.5L with PZEV) "

bill
  • Options
    I have not yet received the message, but I will keep a lookout for it. I have to take the car in to address a couple door rattles anyway, so we can make a day of it. ;)
  • Options
    birdboybirdboy Member Posts: 158
    I have had the rattle in the cargo taken care of, both door rattles as well. My next trip will be to replace the sunroof headliner track as the liner rattles. I also have a ticking in the wind deflector and some other rattle I can not identify overhead. I am extremely disappointed with the quality of these materials. Most of all, the armrest is loose and all the parts creak, squeak and rattle especially when I put my arm on it.. I have foam stuffed all over and it just does not work. I am going to request a new storage console on my next visit. The service department at Colonial has been very cooperative and is trying, however they did not build the car. Any suggestions or other rattles to look out for? In addition, I just got a recall E mail .
    Thank You
  • Options
    Interior rattles are par for the course on newer Subaru vehicles, for some reason. I have owned three new Subarus in as many years, and each has had myriad rattles (the first two had the same rattles, so it was much easier to get the second repaired!). My new Forester has terrible door rattles - so bad, in fact, that you need not even drive it to hear them; just close the door and it will rattle! I am not sure if there are others because the door rattles are loud enough that they may drown others out. I will just say that I have not heard any others, so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I suspect part of the reason for the rattles is due to the rigidity of the car's structure. Vibrations pass through such structures more efficiently, so they essentially find the weakest link and viola; there is your rattle! Not that this is an excuse for mediocrity with interior build quality, it just means they need to step up the performance of the connectors and dampeners they use to attach everything.
  • Options
    Den5276Den5276 Member Posts: 4
    Got mine saturday and have made the appointment. It has to have a 'puter software download performed to make the boo boo better. :sick:
  • Options
    I wonder why I have not received anything. Perhaps they are sending it to folks in PZEV-required states only?
  • Options
    All states --

Got my notice in the mail today - -WV a non PZEV required state.

Bill
  • Options
    xwesx, thank you. there is a fix for the door rattles. they remove the door panel and fill it with foam which is something that should have been done when making the car. The other rattles I am working on. The rear seat back rattles have paper stuffed in the latches to reduce the play and vibration. i was told they cannot fix them as adjusting the latches becomes a safety issue i am so disapointed with all these rattles and creaks.t!
  • Options
    Thanks, Bill. Your post prompted me to go check my mail (which I do about once a week), and I, too, had a notice of some kind (have not opened it) in there. I am not sure why they did not just email me....
  • Options
    I thought I heard my rear seat back rattle at one point, but it turned out that one of them was not latched securely. It is silent both now and before that incident. That is what I get for having two small children that like to explore....

I am sorry that your experience is so poor; I am actually very happy with my Forester thus far. I was expecting a whole plethora of rattles! Granted, the door rattles, which are very bad now and continue to get worse, drive me batty, but I only get to drive the car once or twice a week, so I can live with it. Only seven weeks or so to go before the appointment.

Best of luck hunting down the culprits.

-Wes-
  • Options
    Wifey got that same letter, in a non-PZEV state, so you'll get it soon, I bet.

We'll do ours at the next oil change.
  • Options
    rich28rich28 Member Posts: 23
    When I had the stock speakers replaced in my '09 Forester, I also had dynamat installed in the doors. The auto-sound place told me they fastened some loose cables and secured some loose plastic in the doors as well. Of course, I paid to have this done, but I didn't mind since I knew they would do a good job making sure there weren't any rattles or vibrations since they installed some very nice speakers.
  • Options
    Sure enough; that was the letter.
  • Options
    gdocgdoc Member Posts: 22
    I just picked up at 2010 Subaru Forester XT with nav. I love the 4 speed automatic engine. I had an acura tsx with a 6spd MT and read all the chat about 4 speed automatic in the Forester. I just posted my experience as a acura/honda guy since 1992 (8 cars later). For me to switch to Subaru and pick this vehicle after 3 months of researching and test drives, I assure you this vehicle may not be perfect, but man it drives amazing. Quick, nimble, amazing turning radius and inside is a very tight good quality interior with a navigation that is fantastic. I am blown away how great this truck drives. Feels like comparable to the Q5 and the RDX for about 7-18k less. The 4 speed gear ratios are spaced so well, that at 140km the engine is quiet and reving low with a lot of pull. I drove the touareg and tigaun and well...both good, but not for me. Lack that 'fun factor' for me. Heavy and solid, but well..boring. But to each their own. The forester drives like any other 5speed to me. infact, seems to be searching less for the right gear than my TSX.
  • Options
    johnvjohnv Member Posts: 40
    Seems like this might not apply to the 2008 Forester. At least mysubaru doesn't mention it for mine (yet...)

I still need to take mine in for the 11-89-08 TSB reflash related to revving. Is there anything special the car wants when it is in "learning" mode after an ECU reflash? More highway miles, the regular stop-n-go mix, or ?
  • Options
    Congrats and I agree - in fact the smooth, quick shifts of the 4 speed are actually one of the strengths, despite the low ratio count.

My Sienna has 5 ratios and hesitates more, doesn't shift as decisively.

If they add ratios I hope they still tune/program it to operate exactly the way this one does.
  • Options
    23graceave23graceave Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    i feel for you. First my rear seat started to squeak . Gradually it got really loud in the car and I had to drive with the radio on!
    It took me over 6 weeks to get 3 different service managers to agree to rip out the back seats on my 09 Forester and replace the old latches with new latches. As the mechanic was driving it in to the bay he heard the roof squeak as well. He wound up ripping out the inside roof and told me it has been discovered that the adhesive they used to keep the roof secure in those Foresters has been disolving causing it to squeak there as well. So he put new adhesive in it, put the new seat latches in and then drove it around one more time with another guy in the rear to listen. One more sqeak found in the rear hatch door and it took no time at all to fix that one. All told I waited 4 hours for it but the quiet was well worth it- good luck to you but go back and tell them you are not happy with your new car.
  • Options
    Thank You, My Forrester is going in next week for the recall and to have the sunroof headliner replaced as the rattle I was told is due to the tracks having too much of a gap. The adhesive story seems to be valid as well. Tell me please , does your console and armrest squeak , creak and rattle as well? I also have another rattle somewhere overhead and can not seem to find it. If anyone from SUBARU quality is reading this, Please address all these quality fit and finish issues so that future Forester owners do not have to go through this stuff killing the enjoyment of an otherwise nice performing car. This car cost too much to have such interior quality issues.
  • Options
    23graceave23graceave Member Posts: 5
    My console does not squeak. The sqeak you have overhead could be the same one I had. They tore apart the inside roof and re-glued it and that did stop the very loud squeak. I hope they get your car fixed it is such a disappointment to have these little things interfere with the enjoyment of having a new car. I had my last 2002 Forester for almost 8 years, and the only consistent problem were the gas fumes in the winter.

good luck!
  • Options
    http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr111809.html

Top Safety Picks dwindled since they now must meet roof crush standards, but Forester managed to stay on the list:

Small SUVs
    Honda Element
    Jeep Patriot with optional side torso airbags
    Subaru Forester
    Volkswagen Tiguan

Cross-reference that list with the current month's issue of Consumer Reports most reliable list, and the Forester is the only small SUV to make both lists.

The only game in town! :shades:
  • Options
    oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like every model-line that Subaru makes made the Top Safety Pick list, unless you count the WRX as a separate line. I don't know why it is excluded. It's just another impreza, albeit a more powerful one.
  • Options
    The WRX doesn't have the active headrests of the rest of the Impreza lineup, so it doesn't score a Good score in the rear crash test.
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    The quote I like from the story I read is, "Subaru was the only automaker with an IIHS winner in all four vehicle classes in which it competes."