Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Audio/Stereo Problems

creaser113creaser113 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2015 in Dodge
I have a 2002 Ram 1500 and my battery has been weakened and/or is dead in the mornings or over period of time of not driving it. I have the factory Infinity Sound System and since I've removed the fuse for the "radio amp" it has not weakened or gone dead, narrowing the problem down to the radio and/or the infinity sound system. Any suggestion of what might be causing this problem? Thanks!

See Also
How To Find A Short In Your Car

Comments

• vidarlvidarl Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2004 Ram 3500 5,9 Infinity Sound System. My dealer told my the problem is instrument cluster. The radio take 1 amp. and the instrument cluster take 1 amp. I have not done anything with it.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Ram 1500 4 Door Hemi with Infinity Sound...we are getting severe distortion from the speaker in the driver's door...

Does anyone know the actual size and shape of the speaker, and does the entire door panel have to be removed to replace it???

Yes, the molded grille is round, but, knowing American car makers, the speaker behind it does not have to be round...

I would like to order replacement speakers (both doors) in advance, so I can change them at my leisure...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Bob, I have the same system you do in my 05 Ram. From the FSM, the front door speakers are traditional 6x9s, the rear doors are 5.25" rounds. The front door speakers are intended to be a dual midrange/bass, the rear doors are full-range. You also have three tweeters in the dashboard, mounted alternately to the defroster vents.

kcram - Pickups Host
    Wow, I thought this topic was dead, and posting was a waste of time...lo and behold, I forgot that the Hosts patrol these topics like a German Shepherd patrols the house...thanks for the quick response...
    ;)

kcram - Pickups Host
  • JustimJustim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with the standard OEM single CD radio system. The problem I have is that on a warm day the radio gives me an Err message when first powered up. It also makes a noise that sounds like it is attempting to eject a CD when there is no CD in the system, this sound happens sometimes while the radio is on and almost every time the radio is turned off this continues to happen for a up to a minute. It then stops, other than that the radio and CD player do work fine. Does anyone know if this can be fixed for a reasonable price, or should I invest in a new after market radio/CD player?
  • karl42karl42 Member Posts: 3
    My 04 Ram infinity audio stock radio: sound cuts in and out randomly, radio stays on and display is not affected. I tried replacing radio with aftermarket, same problem, any ideas??

thanks, Karl
    a bad ground from the radio to the vehicle???
    I checked it, no luck
  • shakedown31shakedown31 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased a 2008 Ram quad cab pick-up with the factory satalite radio. Is there an alternative to this plane, boring set-up that really is the only thing I am dissapointed in regarding astetics of the truck. The Infinity speakers are pretty decent and the satalite radio kicks [non-permissible content removed]. Can anyone suggest a better deck that I can install and still look professional along with satalite radio?
    Turns out it was a bad amp.
  • wamackswamacks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500. The problem that I'm having is the radio/clock turning off by itself. When this happens the door locks do not work. This only happens in the warmer months when I'm not using the heater. I don't understand why the warm air from the heater keeps the radio on. The dealer has had it in twice to repair, but was not successful. One time they had my entire dash taken apart. Please help.
  • perplexed04ramperplexed04ram Member Posts: 1
    I had an issue with my truck continually stalling out at stop lights. The problem turned out to be a bad EGR valve. However while all of this was going on my Radio stopped working. All i get is the radio turning on and a clicking sound coming from the speakers. What is causing this?
  • ronbarnesronbarnes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Dodge 3500 and yesterday the two front door speakers stop working.....any ideas. Is there a fuse that controls these speakers?
  • heaton44heaton44 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 doge ram 1500 with the 4.7 and i had a in dash dvd player installed and when i got it back i no longer have to push the brake to shift from park the headlights and dome light wont turn on unless the truck is turned on. i looked at the wiring and the red and yellow wires are hooked together and when i took them apart the cd player wouldnt even turn on and i know they arent suppose to be ran together any answers????
    radio-CD player won't work in my 2004 Ram 1500...I have a 7 year, 85K warranty on the vehicle...are warranties being honored by the remaining dealers, and, if yes, can they pull out the six CDs that are stuck in the player???
    If it's the factory service contract, yes, those are still honored by remaining Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
    It is the factory warranty...thanks
  • wayneman1wayneman1 Member Posts: 2
  • wayneman1wayneman1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 6 disc nav satellite system and am wondering why I have to set the fade to the rear speakers at least to #3 or 4 before I can hear them. Is it just that the rear speakers are crapy (they are factory) or could it be in the radio itself?
    They did change my radio/CD 6-player under warranty (imagine that!!!)...the original unit had exposed bass and treble buttons to raise and lower to adjust them...this unit, different, you press "mode" (I think) and the screen now shows a bass or treble or balance/fade scale...but which button or lever do you use to adjust those settings???...

Hey, I'm just a simpleminded lawyer, I don't know nuthin' about birthin' no babies working these super duper computer radio CD palyers...

Sorry, I fell into my "Gone with the Wind" mode... :P ;)
  • kgirot58kgirot58 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Ram 2500 quit producing sound from the entire driver side. It has a stock AM/FM - CD - Cassette. All three speakers (post tweeter, driver door, rear door) have no sound. It's not the balance control. I figured since all three didn't produce sound that it might be the radio. I first checked the wires that plug in the back by wiggling them, but that seems to be okay. I replaced the radio with another stock radio and that didn't solve it. It must be between the radio and where ever the wires split up to go off to their respective speakers. Is there a relay or something in there? Any ideas?
  • danielmovedanielmove Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 with the Cummings diesel engine. A few months ago the front speakers started to not work intermittently. Then stopped working at all. I replaced the factory AM/FM cassette radio with a new radio that has a CD player in it. I used a connection kit that allowed me to simply plug into the trucks factory plugs to the radio. After hooking up everything I still do not have front speakers that work. Anyone else had this problem or have any idea where to start to look for the broken connection in the wiring harness? I am confused as to why it would affect both front speakers since they each have a + and - wire going to them.
  • dpound04dpound04 Member Posts: 2
  • dpound04dpound04 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have a 2002 1500 Quad Cab with the Infinity stereo system. I was told by Best Buy and another local stereo installer that to replace the head unit in a vehicle with the Infinity premium sound system you either need a specific wiring adapter that costs between $70-$180 (depending on who you talk to) or I need to completely rewire my stereo system. I talked at length with someone from Crutchfield who assures me that their wiring harness for $8.95 will work with the Infinity system on the Ram. Does anybody have experience with this that could tell me what is actually involved? Thanks!
  • dsneadedsneade Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out your problem? I have the exact problem, need help. Thanks.
    Karl42, I am still waiting for someone to answer my post. I still only have the rear speakers that are working however there was an instance where the front ones came on for about 5 minutes while I was driving home one day. It was really hot outside that day but I doubt that had anything to do with it. I keep hoping someone will come up with the answer to our problem. Daniel
  • winstonbwinstonb Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same front speaker trouble .it began with factory stereo and when i installed after market stereo it continued.rear speakers not affected at all,but no front.any ideas? thanks.winstonb
  • bloom3bloom3 Member Posts: 1
    karl, i have same problem with my 02 ram. the problem is in the large fuse box under the hood, loose connections with wires running into the bottom of box. reach under and move them around,see if that works. tap on a couple of the relays and fuses. rod bumps turn my speakers off and on. sorry but it's not the radio.
    bloom3,
    I tried your suggestion of reaching under the large fuse/breaker box under the hood and moving the wires around. I also tried tapping on the fuses and breakers. I even removed and cleaned the ends of all the fuses and breakers but I still do not have the front speakers working. Can you be any more specific as to where the problem may exist? Also what did you mean when you wrote "rod bumps turn my speakers off and on"? Daniel
  • traster67traster67 Member Posts: 7
    i have a 2003 1500 quad cab hemi and my radio all the sudden just went to all static, the cd player works fine but i can't get any stations. i checked the antenna and what wires i can see and i can't find the problem. i told my wife the stereo went out (reason to buy a new cd player ha ha ) but i put the new one in and i have the same problem. any ideas what it might be?...thanks!!!
    If the CD works but the radio gets static, could the antenna be loose, or the antenna wire itself have a break inside, or maybe the wire plug where it plugs into the back of the radio may be bad (short circuit)...

If the entire unit had a short, or bad ground, would the CD player also not work, so I localize it from the back of the radio to the antenna...
  • steve406steve406 Member Posts: 1
    Two problems: 1) Unit works but screen goes dark after driving for approx 2 minutes. When car is restarted, does same thing. Any ideas? 2) Zoom toggle switch not working (unit was replaced by Dodge while under warranty for same problem). Any good way to fix without full replacement?
  • msieversmsievers Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I have two problems
    1. I just got the truck. The steering wheel controls for the radio do not work. The person who had it before me had an after market radio in it and now it has the stock radio. Does anyone no why it does not work?
    2. I have HID headlights in it they are of high quality. When I turn them on I get static through the radio. If I were to run another ground from the radio would that fix the problem. Or is there some other way I can fix this problem?
    Thanks
  • crash_akcrash_ak Member Posts: 8
    all you need to do is hook up the rem wire from the after market deck to the blue wire on the wiring adpator and they should work have the same truck and had the same problem. everybody was telling me the same thing but i got them to work. let me know if you need anymore help. alot of things are modify only on the 02 ram
  • fsunole17fsunole17 Member Posts: 1
    Justim, did you ever figure out your problem, I have the same thing happening to me except the CD player does not work at all
  • dapflydapfly Member Posts: 1
    Just bought 2008 RV on Sprinter chassis. Manual for Sound 5 radio does not explain things very well. When I press button that gives options for tone, there are 2 displays that I do not know what they mean. One says "gal" and the other says "EXT". Any help out there?
  • jhaughjhaugh Member Posts: 1
    the speakers will shut off at random then a while later just come back on. Sterio stays on just all speakers shut off. we have changed the sterio and same thing is happening HELP
  • sirron64sirron64 Member Posts: 1
    WAMACKS any luck figuring out the problem, my 2002 has started doing the same things
  • badassjabadassja Member Posts: 2
    I have A 2001 dodge ram and the same problem did you ever find out an answer for your front speaker problem
  • badassjabadassja Member Posts: 2
    my front speakers in my 2001 dodge ram quit working first one thin the other any help would be nice . thank you
  • scott1041scott1041 Member Posts: 1
    When I insert a CD into the player I get an "ERR CD" message and the CD won't play. I also notice when I start the truck or when I insert/eject a CD I get a buzzing noise from the player. The radio works fine.

Anyone know what the problem might be?
  • maslomaslo Member Posts: 1
    My battery final went bad so I changed it out since then I have had problems with my stereo system had only one AM chanel I could get no FM,CD player worked but the speaker roamed from front to back and from side to side and faded in and out. now only the CD player works. Called the dealer and they have no clue what is wrong with it.
  • dodgemike1dodgemike1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 and i replaced the cd player, all fuses are good but it does not work and i also somhow lost the power to the dome lights.. what would be causing the problems
  • tooltimedavetooltimedave Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012 Ram , my problem is the sound only works with sat radio not with am /fm , I pulled the radio out to check all the wiring and noticed that if I put a little pressure down or up on the am / fm antenna it would work ,as soon as I let off it would go off again so I am thinking the problem is where it connects at that point or loose connection where it is attached inside of the radio its self . I am also going to run another ground to the radio to see if that might be the issue ,any how hope this might help with your issues ,I'll post later to let you know if the ground helped
  • TSB8CTSB8C Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2015 Ram with the 8.4AN radio setup. When parked outside on a hot day (90 degrees or above) the radio changes frequencies and/or functions (i.e. from FM to SAT or USB). My presets get moved or deleted. After starting up and running AC a few minutes to cool down the interior, and resetting everything again, it works fine. Radio was replaced by dealer once already for this issue. New one doing the same thing.
  • ghcrowsonghcrowson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500. the CD player hums but also sounds like it is trying to eject a cd when one is not in the CD player. It continues to do so even when the radio is on or off. Can anyone tell me what the problem is.