Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Rodeo Lights Problems

davidtcdavidtc Member Posts: 6
I have a 995 Isuzu Rodeo, AT, V-6, 2-WD. When you turn the key to "ON" the dash lights and four way flashers start blinking with an audible clicking from the left side of the dash, and will blink fifteen times then quit. If you continue to start, and the engine does start, the lights will do the same and quit. The truck drives fine after that. I found the source of the clicking, a black box (what else?) located above the fuse panel. This box has a lot of wires going to it but I can't find it in any book or Internet source. I have the one-wire diagnostic link, the orange one and do not have any codes. Could this be an error code. Thanks, David

Comments

• stevenmissystevenmissy Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a secound hand 95 1/2 rodeo 4wd this is my secound rodeo my first a 92 just died at 260,500 miles so i love them. my issue my new trucks running light in the rear do not work. hit the brakes they come on turn they come on but no running light. heres what i have done so far. 1.change the fuse in side the cab. 2. changed both rear brake lights. 3 changed the light relay under the hood. all wire conections at both ends are in great shape and apear to be tight and in good order. what is it that i am missing? can anyone offer any suggestions? thanks steve
  • raven11raven11 Member Posts: 1
    I also had a similiar problem with the brake lights. I went to an auto zone and tried different brands of bulbs and after cleaning around the socket areas where the bulb goes in on the brake lights, all was fine. Did you ever have the above title problem with the rear turn signal. Is there a turn relay switch??
  • lesserdjlesserdj Member Posts: 1
    I just recently have the same problem with a 95 subaru impreza wagon . Wondering if you figured it out and let me know . Im thinking it might be in the switch.
  • hardridincwbyhardridincwby Member Posts: 12
    Help. Wifes ride, Never encountered this one. Left turn signal not working if head lights on, when working the dash lights will flash as relay cycles. Right turn works fine. Dash lights quit working replaced fuse now have this problem. Seems issuse started on a very wet snowy day. Is this a cluster problem or a flaher relay problem? Where to start? Thanks guys. Rodeo has 139000 miles on it
  • lburnashlburnash Member Posts: 2
    I have a '92 Rodeo with 171K on the clock and last week the Rr. Anti-lock light came on. The red brake light is also on even with the E-brake disengaged. There is a low whine coming from the rear end that increases with speed and a rapping sound, similar to the noise a U-joint would make. I have visually inspected everything and before I tear into it, I'd like some advice as to what it might be and weather, given its age, it's worth doing. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

LBurnash
  • joshmcsjoshmcs Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 rodeo with a similar issue. One day I heard a very bad squealing whenever I applied the brakes. Then it went away. Now about 3 weeks later I have the parking brake and RABS lights coming on at the same time. I've been looking around and one possibility is the rear bearrings assembly. I would also check out your rear brake shoes to make sure they're in good order.

Edit: There are two sensors to check as well, to make sure of clean contacts or possible replacement. One is the rear speed sensor. The other is the rear ABS sensor location on top of the rear differential. Make sure the contacts are clean and find out the resistance values that should be read and you can find out if they are any good by using a plain multi-meter. Another option is to go to a repair shop to get the codes diagnosed but that would cost a little more money.
  • davidtcdavidtc Member Posts: 6
    I just went through this with my son's Rodeo. The cause of your Rear ABS light and the Brake light on at the same time is the Vehicle Speed/ABS sensor located in the differential of the rear end, if you have the two wheel drive. It sounds like the sensor has broken and is hitting the pick-up in the differential. This could be a major problem if not corrected quickly as it may get into the gears and cause further damage. Depending on which electrical system you have there is a way to find the diagnostic code for this, I highly recommend buying a good book. A code "9" for high resistance or code "10" for low resistance should come up for the rear ABS sensor.
    The sensor is not hard to change, but is hard to find the new part. It will also cost you approximately $90.00, depending on who you know in the parts market. One bolt holds it in, it may be hard to pull out as it may have a vacuum on it, but it will come out. Once you have it out, if it's not visibly damaged, you can test it with a volt-ohm meter. It should read between 900-2000 ohms resistance on the meter. Anything other than that and it is bad. Once you replace it, crank the vehicle up and shut it down the code should clear. I hope this helps, David.
  • ccarmikeccarmike Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me if they have a problem with their dash lights going out? Every other light on the dash works except for the main lights that light it up so that you can see the speedometer etc... and also my wipers work when they want too and I was wondering if anyone has these same two problems together?
  • cmow5cmow5 Member Posts: 2
    OK 94 rodeo 4x4 3.2. My head lights dont work and my front wipers. I dont think it is the fuses or bulbs. The dash has been unscrewed by previous owner(i just bought it). I noticed that if I push hard on the fog light switch and move it around i can get them to come on. The headlight switch I have to push it in and physically pull it out. First night it worked and now nothing. Theres another button there that dosent move at all. The wiper buttons pushes in and out, but they dont work. Do I need a new dash? can all of those wires be bad? any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
  • sriverasrivera Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Rodeo and my dash lights, temperature control, heat, ac controls, etc go out all the time. I usually give it one good punch and they work for a while, but only on one side, the ac, heat, defrost selector side, the temperature indicator never comes on.
  • direwolf1972direwolf1972 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and could use some help. I am semi handy with a wrench and would like to try to figure out what the problem is myself before taking it into a transmission shop and paying big bucks.

When I bought the truck it had just had the transmission replaced with one from a junkyard. The previous owner said it was stuck in second gear so he had it replaced. I'm not sure if the problem existed before the tranny swap.

All I know is that now no matter what gear I'm in the backup (reverse light) stays lit on the passengers side tail lamp. I've tried changing the tail lamp. My previous truck was a 95 Passport so I had an extra set around.

Do you think that the transmission shop that they guy had replace the transmission hooked up a wire incorrectly? Is there another cause that anyone can think of for this?

First thought off the top of my head was that the wiring bundle going to that tail light might be grounded out somewhere down the body. Finding a grounded out wire can be a nightmare though and would like to start with the easiest to fix ideas first.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Paul
  • okmech1okmech1 Member Posts: 19
    I have the service manual for a 2001 so this may or may not help..

On the wiring diagram for the exterior lights, there is only one switch between the fuse for the b/u lights and the bulb itself called the 'mode switch, back-up' (auto) or back-up lamp sw (manual). It should turn both lights on, so I'm thinking either it's stuck on and the drivers light is out, or like you said, that bulb is grounded. Each of those back-up bulbs share a ground with their respective turn signal, so If by turning on the blinker and something changes, that may get you closer.

Hope that helps
  • direwolf1972direwolf1972 Member Posts: 2
    I hadn't thought about it till I went on a road trip today. The "upshift" light comes on even in fifth gear. As I was saying I've had 94-97 Rodeo's and Passports in the past, I don't remember the upshift light coming on in top gear. I could be incorrect about this as the past can be fuzzy some days :)

The upshift light being on in fifth is another reason I think there could possibly be a problem with how the wires were hooked up when the transmission was replaced.

Anyone else have this issue?
    hmmm, good one!

Not sure how the upshift light gets it's signal. What did you find out about the light?
  • cakuvncakuvn Member Posts: 2
    I have the same dash light and tail were not light up. Find out the fuse has been burned, put the new fuse in it's burned too. Don't know what wrong.Any one has idea?
    I can help you narrow down the problem a little more if you can tell me 2 things, what fuse burnt out and when you say tail light, are you talking brake light or which one? Also, do you have a 4 or 6 cyl engine?

I ask these quesitons because I have some schematics of a 2001, knowing those answers will help figure out what lines to trace.
  • cakuvncakuvn Member Posts: 2
    My Rodeo 6 cyl, tail light what I mean are when i turn on the head light the tail light won't light, brake light is OK
    cakuvn,

If the fuse you replaced and continually burns out is the 15A one labeled 'tail' and the headlights continue to work as you said, it sounds like you have a bad tail light relay or wiring from it on towards the lights.

according to the prints, the headlight combo switch has two wires controlling the head and tail lights - headlights is a R/Y (red/yellow) going to the headlight relay, and a G/Y going to the tail relay.

Where the relay is I'm not sure, but I hope this helps anyway
  • dsteff62dsteff62 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97' Isuzu Rodeo 2WD with the 3.2 V6 engine. Recently the speedometer quit working and the abs light came on. The common consensus was to replace the vss sensor on the rear differential. I have installed a new sensor and this did not correct the problem. The hand held diagnostic gives a code for low voltage from the sensor. I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next. Thanks!
  • stickmanjonesstickmanjones Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Isuzu rodeo with manual transition. About a week ago I noticed that my reverse light was coming on when I was in 1st and 2nd but would not come on when I was in reverse. I don’t know when it started happening, I think it may have started after I got my clutch replaced 4 months ago but hadn’t noticed it because one of my reverse lights had been out anyway. Can someone tell me if this is the switch or if it could be something the mechanic did or something else? If it is infect the switch, where would it be located?
  • solla968solla968 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem and i took it to a dealer. They told me it would cost $2000 for them to do it. Do i need special equipment to change it or something?
  • racerxpracerxp Member Posts: 3
    There was a recall for the anti-lock braking system early on. Maybe you can get this addressed under the recall notice.
  • billybob54billybob54 Member Posts: 1
    Check the marker lights in the front, I had the same problem and it was one of them that was shorted out.
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    My left (drivers side) turn signal flashes normal and works OK however when I turn on my right (passenger side) turn signal I can hear it flash about 3-4 times as fast but no lights front or rear flash at all and neither does the indicator light in my dashboard. I have replaced all of the bulbs both front and rear and also the flasher however the problem persists. Can anyone give me an idea on what to check next? I've replaced all fuses also just to be sure.
    I cannot afford to get pulled over and I live in Florida so I need get this fixed ASAP.
    Any help will be appreciated.

Thx in advance.
  • kbrooks879kbrooks879 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the EXACT same problem with my 94 that I just bought. Please help! Thanks :)
    Hopefully we will both get the help we need to steer us in the right direction to correct this problem.
    Thanks for your reply!!
    I have a 1992 Rodeo LS V6 3.1 lt. engine and despite new bulbs & flasher I can't get my right (passenger side) turn signal to work. My left (driver side) turn signal works perfectly but with the right side the flasher seems to flash/click nearly 3-4 times faster than normal and fails to flash the bulbs both front and rear. Brake lights, parking, and headlights all work normally but still no right turn signal.
    Please can anyone out there help me with this problem?
    Thanks for your replies and help in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That happens when either your bulb is burnt out or the flasher has a faulty component (capacitor). You can try replacing one or the other or both.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thanks for your reply.

I suppose I could have gotten a bad flasher from the parts store. Yesterday evening I swapped all of the bulbs from the not working passenger side with those from the working drivers side. All of the drivers side (front & rear) still worked so that eliminates the bulbs as the problem therefore it seems it would have to be the flasher or in the wiring itself.
    I'll get another flasher from a different parts store and try that and keep this forum apprised.
    Again thanks! Please if you or anyone else out there has anymore ideas concerning this problem your replies are most welcome.
    I got a new flasher today. I'll put it in this evening when it cools off. The online manual states it's located on the drivers side above the kick panel. Since I did not install the other new one I'm not sure if this is the correct location. If anyone knows where exactly it it this would be a big help and greatly appreciated.

Thx.
    I've replaced the flasher and again replaced all of the bulbs on the passenger (right side) of my 1992 Isuzu Rodeo LS (3.1 ltr. V6) and still no change. My passenger side turn signal still seems to flash 3-4 x faster than normal and doesn't work at all while my drivers side flashes normal and works fine.
    In addition, I have cleaned all sockets, plugs, & contact points thoroughly on the passenger side just to be sure and it still refuses to work. Are there any known trouble spots for shorts in the wiring for this model/year I should look for?
    Also, I notice the indicator light (bulb) in the dashboard for the passenger side seems not to be working which is a bulb (checked manual). If this dashboard indicator bulb is burned out could it be causing my problem?
    This thing really has me stumped guys & I need my truck to get back & forth to my Doctor, Pharmacist, etc. Please any insight on this will be graciously appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • aboababoab Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem, Except all my signals have now quit. The hazards still work, but the turn signals are dead. I swapped the bulbs out and no change
    So anyone willing to toss a confused guy a bone?
  • fhengineerfhengineer Member Posts: 2
    ok... due to bad design... its your turn signal switch on the colum... if you pull the steering wheel off, and push down on the contacts the signals should work... there is a stupid plastic pin inside the handle that rocks the contacts into place depending on what direction you choose...How do I know this? I have a 92 rodeo with a 3.1 with the same problem... I try to rig it to make it work and it only works for a week or so... then it dies... POS... just bad design.. I think its like 100 from NAPA...
    Thanks a million!! I'm still struggling with this problem so I will check this out ASAP. Right now I really need something to go right/get one of my many problems solved so again, Thanks. I'll post once I've had a chance to check this out-hopefully later today weather and my health permitting.
  • tjung2tjung2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi-

I have a 1994 Rodeo and had the same problem with the turn signal not working and making a buzzing noise. Based on some research, I found out it was a turn signal switch but I wasn't willing to spend $200 (I've already spent far too much on this car already). Instead I figured I would get some electrical contact/cleaner spray and shoot it on the switch. I knew the switch was located somewhere in the steering wheel column but I didn't want to remove the steering wheel so I squirted in the opening by the turn signal. It took a few times but it worked. The spray should be at most electrical parts stores. I picked mine up at Radio Shack for $10.

Hope that helps.
  • lbren2lbren2 Member Posts: 1
    So there have been several issues with my 2000 4WD Isuzu Rodeo over the past couple days. I noticed it on Friday when I was driving home from work. The battery and break light were both on when I started to drive out of the parking garage. Before I was halfway home they both went out. The same thing happened on Sunday...but the lights went out before I was on the highway. Today I noticed the same light problem but they dimmed and started to flicker rather then go out completely. Also, there seemed to be something up with the transmission. It worked fine in reverse, but as soon as i put it in drive it was hesitant. When I was started to go from a stop at a light, it started to go okay and then it felt like someone put the brakes on briefly, and then it released. I got home and parked it in the driveway. My roommate had to move it to go to the gym, and he mentioned the same thing about drive not feeling right. I went outside about 30 min ago to move it back into the driveway because we are suppose to get another big snow storm tonight....and as i was pulling up the street to turn around all the emergency indicator lights came on, the speedometer and tachometer didn't move and the odometer went blank. I put on the flashers and all the lights on the dashboard started to blink with the flashers. It sounded like it was running real rough as I pulled into the driveway. I turned it off, but then realized I should look under the hood with it running and tried to start it...it wouldn't turn over.

The first thing I tried was to check the battery. With the car off, it has 11.8 V across the negative and positive terminals. I then checked all the fuses and they all seemed okay. I can't tell about the relays. I am thinking may be some sort of electrical problem causing all the light and the transmission issues. Now that it wont start I don't know what to do. Any/all suggestions would be appreciated
  • bobman31bobman31 Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys, first time poster. I have a 93 rodeo. It was obviously 4wheel drive at one point in its life. It lacks a front differential, but it still has the 4wd shift nob inside and when i shift into 4hi or 4 low It feels like its trying to engage. How can I tell if its just gonna take a new front end or if I would have to completely replace the entire transmission to make it 4 wheel drive once again. Sorry if this is an obvious question I am not a car guy but I'm trying to become one.
  • lburnashlburnash Member Posts: 2
  • pixiekissezpixiekissez Member Posts: 1
    I have checked all 4 ambers and they all work when I turn my lights on. However, my turn signals nor the hazards work. Has anyone else experienced this? I've checked fuses and relays and they are fine. I actually even replaced them. :sick:
  • tfleetmotfleetmo Member Posts: 1
    did you ever resolve this issue? I have a 96 Rodeo which has been sitting in my driveway for over a year, but still runs. However, the rear, backup lights turn on when I shift into 1st or 2nd gear and does not turn on when shift into reverse. Odd! I think it may be the battery, but my batter is only 2 years old.

Curious if you found the answer. Thanks

Tracy
  • hondosahondosa Member Posts: 2
    Probably a bad battery and/or alternator. Many auto parts stores will test both for free. I would jump start it and take to to a place that will test the battery and alt.
  • hondosahondosa Member Posts: 2
    bobman

I had a jeep Cherokee with a missing drive shaft. Turned out that the previous owner had bent it and took it off. A new drive shaft was all it needed.

Check the CV-Joint boots for cracks and install a drive shaft. You can probably get one from a salvage yard pretty cheap. It will either work or not.
  • mikadencomikadenco Member Posts: 2
    SUV has been virtually problem free for 125K miles (7 years). It has had all regular maintenance performed, esp. timing belt replacement, recent tune up, etc.
    After a lot of water was dumped on hood of car, (don't ask, but engine was cold), the engine would crank but not start. (key would stay in crank mode unless turned back). I believe that this is normal, key should go back after ignition. Not?
    Fuel Pump is ok. Local mechanic is looking at computer run ignition system but after two days still has no idea what is wrong.
    Any ideas? Remember this Rodeo has been better than great until now.
  • skapularioskapulario Member Posts: 1
    Hi Ibren2:

At this time, i am having the same problem in my 2002 Rodeo with the battery and brake light going on for a while and then in a short drive both went out in 5 or more diferents ocassions. Please tell me how you solved your problem to see if i can solve mine. Thanks
  • twjsrtwjsr Member Posts: 1
    Have same problem with ABS, Battery, Brake and check engine lights all on.

Someone said it might be a sensor, but which one?

Any ideas
  • okc5okc5 Member Posts: 1
    hello everyone, I am trying to get to the brake light bulb on the driver side. i have heard there are 4 screws to get the cover off. I can find the two on the outside but am having trouble finding the others.

My question is how do i access the bulb.

on a side note. the brake light works when the headlights are off and doesn;'t when the headlights are on.

thanks,
  • khop1khop1 Member Posts: 1
    TAIL LIGHTS INOP
  • briyonbriyon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Isuzu Rodeo and recently the parking lights started staying on when the alarm was set. This happened last week. Now the parking lots are just staying on whether I set the alarm or not...however it still seems to be associated with the alarm. I believe there is some relay that flashes the lights when you lock the doors or set the alarm but I am not 100% sure that is true or where to even look to try and find that relay. Can anyone offer some help?

Thanks,

Brian
  • iansrodeoiansrodeo Member Posts: 1
    A while ago I had to get the clutch replaced in my 1993 Rodeo (V6-3.2L). After the work was done I noticed that the up-shift light stayed on when I was in 5th gear (not right). After years of driving this vehicle I was accustumed to the light and somethimes relied on it to remind me to up-shift to 5th gear (hard to explain). So now I was always thinking that I needed to up-shift. I took it back several times to have this corrected, but they were never able to get it right. They said they had called other garages and even the dealership, but were unable to make it work like it was supposed to. finally they offered me a discount on the original work, which I had not payed for yet and completely disabled the light. I was sort of satisfied. Later I discovered that, along with the indicator light, they had disabled the cruise-control. I would really like to find out how to fix both of these issues. I really don't want to take it back to those guys and I am sure they don't want to see me, so I hope this is something that I can repair myself. I am pretty good with this sort of thing, but I know nothing about cruise-control or the other.
  • dm8528dm8528 Member Posts: 3
    Happening with my 99 Rodeo and I switched out the alarm module. It is a relay and is combined with the intermittent wipers front and back. Switch it out and should be fine. My problem is it started doing it again after a few days after swapping it out but I think my problem is a bit different. It is called Control Unit Alarm and part number is 8-97203-989-0. (I got it from a Honda site since Isuzu charges more for it and the Honda passport is the exact same vehicle) http://www.g1parts.com/default.asp
    It its to the right of the glove box mounted to the right. Two wire harnesses plugged to it and two screws and a rear clip holding it. Hard to get to if you have large hands like I do. But I got it after a while.