Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 CTS

Comments

• paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    The 6MT trans is available..but as soon as you start adding the luxury packages to the car...it defaults to the auto trans.....so essentially you end up with a base CTS with a manual trans.......my dealer in a northern va......which is a high volume cad only dealer....does it carry them in stock as there is a very very limited demand for them....
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,464
    Thanks to both of you. It's good to know that you can still get them. I could probably live with a 'stripper' CTS (which is kind of a contradiction in terms anyway) to get the stick.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    After returning from a vacation that lasted 10 days, I took my 2009 CTS to the dealer after a technician jumped the dead battery. The dealer then said they could find nothing wrong with the car, but all "new cars" have so much tied in to the battery that when it sits this long, this can happen- the battery goes dead. Other than this annoying thought, the car has been great. Has anyone had this problem after the car has not been used for this many days straight?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I have no personal experience with this problem with a CTS. But, 10 days seems like an awfully short period of time for the parasitic loads on the battery to drain it.
    our CTS is not a daily driver...has set as much as two weeks without moving in our garage...there cant be that much power drain by accessories that drain the battery completely......something else is wrong......my advice....try another service department
  • 150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    I only drive my CTS on long trips. It occasionally sits for a month with no problems.
  • john178john178 Member Posts: 48
    Thanks for the advice. I have never owned a car that has the battery go dead after sitting idle for up to 10 days. I will take the car to another service dealer. After reading the DTS forum, it appears as though there have been dead battery issues with this model as well. I also own a 2006 Luxury ll DTS with 55,000 miles on it- and have not had 1 problem.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Back in 2003, my first gen CTS had a similar problem. Turned out that a bunch of the batteries at the factory were defective and that replacing them solved the problem. It was a pretty simple fix considering that the first thing we all thought was that maybe the system that prevents the system from draining the battery wasn't working correctly.
  • caddyhodadcaddyhodad Member Posts: 5
    I just recently was able to make an oil change on my 2009 CTS. I wanted to do it before the warning came on in case there were any metal filings left in the engine after manufacture. Here is how it went:
    1. Thanks to previous post, I did locate the oil filter canister next to the dipstick. It requires a 24mm socket (which I had to purchase as I did not have one that big).
    2. Thanks to post on another site, I was informed to look for a plastic cowling at the bottom of the car that covers up the oil pan (and some other things).
    3. I removed the cowling (4 10mm screws), located the oil pan (plug is 15mm) toward the midpoint of the vehicle. I drained the oil.
    4. I removed the oil filter canister and placed the new one in. It snaps onto the pin on one end of the canister.
    5. I replaced the oil plug and after attempting to put the cowling on backwards (which did not work) turned it around and it actually lined up pretty easily. I re-applied the 10mm screws.
    6. I poured in 6 quarts of synthetic 5W30 oil in spout.
    7. I reset the oil life indicator by way of page 5-22 and 3-51 in owner’s manual. Press info button on dash until oil life display comes up then hold set/reset button more than 5 seconds.
    8. Done

BTW, I finally got around to changing my oil at 4,291. My sensor said 68% oil remaining. So extrapolating that means that based solely on mileage the sensor would prompt up to change oil around 13,409 miles. That sounds long, so it will be my next question to my service department.
    not sure what you are going to ask the service department about the change interval....I have always gone off the GMOL....usually changing around 25% level which puts me around the 7000-7500 mile mark.....in all my GM cars....a 04 Chevy , 06 Pontiac and the 09 CTS........teh GMOL algorithm works based on your driving habits basically and other conditions the car monitors.....so its not inconceiveable to reach that mileage....beleive the owners manual gives some specifics based on the GMOL or yearly......would have to check.....
  • caddyhodadcaddyhodad Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your response Pao. I did not know about the 25%. I also am not familiar with GMOL. I looked on the GM and found reference to it but no meaning.
    GMOL is the General Motors Oil Life Monitor/System

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsibility/environment/maintenance/simplified_ma- - intenance_040104.jsp

here is the GM site with all the details

The 25% is the level on the GMOL that generally change my oil at....
  • artmbgolfartmbgolf Member Posts: 57
    The CTS owners manual says to change oil when the monitor says or once a year, which ever come first. That is good enough for me. Synthetic oil can last a lot longer than 3k miles.
  • ben721364ben721364 Member Posts: 22
    I was surprised to read of your problems. I have an SRX that has been virtually bullet proof for 40,000+ miles and the local [Austin} dealer has been great to deal with. I hope your problems are resolved soon.
  • scrumhalf7scrumhalf7 Member Posts: 3
    I went to the dealer and looked at a 2009 CTS DI with 3200 miles that they are listing as new, it was driven by one of their VP. It has Nav. and Lux. 1 package and they are asking for $45745. I'm not sure if that is a good deal or not. I KBB it and with all the same options KBB came back at $40,500-$41,500. So my question is what should I ask for. I understand they need to make a profit too but to me this isn't even a new car bc it has 3200 miles. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    They would have to give me a much bigger price break than that to take a used car like that off their hands.
  • beerme1beerme1 Member Posts: 67
    To me it is too high. And in particular because of my last new car purchase experience. I bought a new car that that was driven by the owners wife on a cross country trip. Well it turns out that even though they sold it to me as new and was financed and considered new by Ford, in the state of Wisconsin the car had to be titled to the dealer. So in fact I am listed as the second owner which caused a lot of confusion and aggravation on my part.
    But we were looking at a 08 cts di with both lux 1 and 2 for for the kbb price you have listed for the 09.
    So to me personally if I were making an offer on that car, verify that it has not been titled and offer them $39,500 Remember new or not the car was at very least a demo and price needs to be reflective of that.
    I know that some dealers must still be sitting on 08's and if you're not concerened about the year, the deals on on 08 should be significant. But if not at least stick with the kbb price and shop around and you will find a dealer who will be at that price if offered. But talk to the dealer and treat the car as anything more than a discounted demo and see what you get.
    What is the sticker price on the car?
  • scrumhalf7scrumhalf7 Member Posts: 3
    The MSRP is $48245. Just this morning they dropped the asking price to $44245 plus there is a dealership discount of 2500 or at least there was last night. So I'm looking at $41745. But I think your right Beerme1, they need to look at that car as a demo so that is how I'm going to approach it. Thanks for the heads up on the title issue. I'll let you know what I get.
    A lot of Caddilac dealers have the manager or owner drive a car and keep it under the miles limit that they can sell it as new in that state. These demo cars should be bought at around Invoice or less and you also get any rebates available.
    Still love my 09 CTS. It now has 14,200 trouble free miles on it. I just drove from Indy to Montreal to Hellertown, PA and back to Indy. Averaged 30.6 mpg for the trip (about 99% highway).
    That is great that you got a car that gets above the EPA highway!
  • george119george119 Member Posts: 3
    I have two minor problems with my 09 CTS: The usual occasional GM problem where you cannot turn the ignition key "on" unless you jiggle the steering wheel. The other one is a little odd. If I try to charge my Mp3 player while it is playing, it messes up the AUX cicuit. It only happen on my CTS. Everything works OK on another car. The problem is in my car somewhere.
  • keganchriskeganchris Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2009 CTS and am finding that the seats are making the backs of my thighs sore and cutting off the circulation. I've tried adjusting the seats, but haven't been able to fix it. Anybody experience the same thing? Is it just the seats are not broken in and too stiff?
  • joey245joey245 Member Posts: 9
    i have a 2009 cts with the luxery package in it and the seats are fine, no problems of any kind. i am 6 ft. 2 in. tall.
    joe
    I too am 6'2" tall & I find the seats to be very comfortable.
  • sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    I'm taller than either of you and find the CTS seats (and knee room) very nice. The recaros in the CTS-V are better thanks to the thigh support. The new CTS Coupe will get the recaros as an option, V-series or not. Maybe at some point the sedan and wagon will get them too.
  • zydecomanzydecoman Member Posts: 7
    psdesertrat, that's an awesome idea. I just bought a CTS with the translucent sunroof shade. If the Houston summers prove too hot for it, I'll borrow your sunroof tint idea. I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned that before. The Corvette's removable targa top is tinted, so that should suffice for the CTS.
  • zydecomanzydecoman Member Posts: 7
    Thanks Joey245. I had no idea there was a key inside the remote. I just bought my CTS a few weeks ago and I'm learning something new about it every day!
  • redgtconv1redgtconv1 Member Posts: 7
    At about 2,000 miles I started noticing a noise coming from the rear which sounded like I had something loose in my trunk. I would hear this sound occasionally when I would go over a bump. I didn't bring the car in right away because I thought it would too hard to get it to repeat itself for the mechanic and he would just tell me it was nothing. So I waited, and now at 6,000 miles the noise has become louder and so frequent, even over very small bumps or cracks in the road. So today I brought my car to the dealer. The mechanic came out to speak to the service adviser, so I asked him if I could take him out for a quick drive to show hime exactly what I was talking about. He sat in the back and told me to drive. I started thinking of where there were some big potholes I could drive over, but we only got about 30 feet from the dealership and drove over a very small crack in the road when he said "Stop, I heard it and I know what it is". Apparently there has been a service bulletin issued for the bushings at the rear wheels. The ones that were installed at the factory were defective. Gm is now installing a new type of bushing which should last a very long time. I am 60 years old and this is the first time I can say these words "What a great experience it was getting my car serviced". I called the dealer at 12:30 to ask if I could bring my car in, I arrived there at 1:00, the mechanic was working on my car by 1:30, finished at 2:30, and I was back home at 3:00. Ocean Cadillac, Bal Harbor, Florida, Thanks!
    i had the same problem when i bought my 2009 cts from maroone cadillac in west palm beach,fl.
    i took the car back and they did not even drive it. they knew what was wrong. they advised me there was a service notice out on this problem and they fixed it.

joey000245
    jensen beach, fl.
  • ctsguy2ctsguy2 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the information guys. My 09 CTS with 14,000 also makes the noise when going over a speed bump or other large bump. Coincidentally the car is at the local Caddy dealer now for that and some other issues such as brake squeal, leaking headlight washer nozzle, squeaks and creaks and a defective shifter switch. Will be interesting to see if dealer diagnoses the wheel bearing issue without me telling them of the "service bulletin". I love my CTS but seriously think mine is somewhat of a lemon. Either that or they dropped it off the truck when delivering it new :-)
    havent heard of the bushing issue...my 09 is quiet with 21K on it..however did have the brake squeal.....the only fix is to replace the brake pads....and add the new caliper pieces.....all in the TSB.....dont drive off the lot unless they replace the pads.....otherwise...it will come back in about 1000 miles.........
    thumping in 200-9 cts is not a wheel bearing issue, ut is something to do with bushings for alignment of the rear end. it is in the service bulletin.
    joe
    "noticing a noise coming from the rear which sounded like I had something loose in my trunk. I would hear this sound occasionally when I would go over a bump."

I am not discounting the service bulletin, BUT I had a similar noise. After a lot of investigation (by me), I discovered the battery cable was hitting its enclosure. A small piece of self stick foam insulation at the point of contact solved the problem.
    Thanks again for the insight. The dealer claims that on my car it's not the bushings, but a different service bulletin regarding the rear quarter panel. They allegedly took care of the problem, yet the car still makes the noise. Anyone else ever heard of or had this issue, or leaking headlamp washer nozzles? I firmly believe the local dealer is incompetent, as they can't correct either problem, but the next closest dealer is over an hour away. BMW here I come.
    Since they replaced the bushings, the difference is dramatic. No more noises, car feels better. Their diagnosis was correct.
    Is anyone else having problems with leaking headlamp washer nozzles and defective gear shift assemblies?
    16,200 miles--not yet.
    not here either...09 with 22.5 on it
    I have 7,000 miles and I only weigh 165 lbs. However, the lower back of the drivers seat just began to sqeak if I move or put any pressure on it. I've never had anything like this in any car. Has anyone had this and what was the resolution. I will be taking it to my dealer next week.
    Just an FYI to whomever it might help. Just got my car back from the dealer after a week. Despite the VIN # not falling in the range for the TSB, the rear wheel bushings were defective and thus replaced. According to the tech, if u have the clunking in the rear of the car and/or odd handling traits, insist they check the bushings. Also the squeaking seat bottom that someone previously mentioned on here also has a TSB for installing a washer to solve the issue. There is another TSB for the Navigation screen going blank, along with numerous updates for reflashing the software to remedy issues with the radio/navigation system and clock.
    great update..thanks....will have the reflashing done at my next service
  • faultfault Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for some help, I love the 2009 CTS-V, but realistically can not afford that much money. My question is; should I wait a couple more years and purchase the 2009 V after it is 4 years old, or go ahead and purchase the 2007 CTS-V? I believe the 2009 is a far superior car than the 2007; looks, technology, reliability, and 556 HP. I'm not even sure I can handle the 2009's HP, I may be better with the 400 HP. I currently drive a Lexus SC430, lots of fun, but I think I want a manual shift with some get up and go. Thanks in advance for your coaching.
  • tomcat5470tomcat5470 Member Posts: 8
    I saw the other posts about bushings and battery cables. We just got an '09 "demo" that has the rear deck / package shelf (under the back window) rattling. It did fine for my wife part of the way home, and when we stopped off to visit her mom, I pushed open the pass-through to the trunk, didn't seem to hurt anything. After that, I had a turn driving it home, and experienced a bunch of rattling, mostly with bumps.

The noise is easily reproduced by tapping on the grill over the sub-woofer.

Has anybody seen this on their car, and known what fixed it? Thanks.
    If you just bought it and you can easily reproduce it, then the dealer should be able to easily fix it. I have had mine for 1 1/2 years without that problem. The problem with the bushings was a thumping noise that sounded like it was emanating from the trunk. It was not a rattle.
  • timd106timd106 Member Posts: 3
    yeah dude i have an 06 cts (2.8l v6) and the city milage sucks big time. I barely press the gas pedal at the light and i still drink gas (i average between 15-16.5mph city). Dont try and floor it either, you will get 2mpg and watch your needle drop right before your eyes, no lie! i got this cadillac and not the corvette because i figured this would be better gas milage, april fools!!!!!!!
  • blackcadillacblackcadillac Member Posts: 13
    OK, 11,500 miles and I'm still at 11.5 to 12.5 MPG. ;(
    CTS09- AWD - 304HP, performance package - The Black gas hog!

I use the iPhone app Gas Cubby to track my mileage and note fill ups and MPG's. I've tried different gas stations, different octanes, etc. with no real difference. I think it's a sharp car and have had lots of complements on it.

Oh well,.... To quote Fernando "It's better to look good than to feel good", :)-
    Cadillac has been useless on this. I get a what do you expect look. ;(
    17MPG city - Not even close...

I bought the car to drive it and not fret over every mile. I've excepted it....
    My wife is looking for a new Crossover, SRX? sharp!, but the gas issue is pushing us to look elsewhere.
    I wouldnt give up on the SRX, just opt out of the DI engine....my 09 CTS is fully loaded less the DI engine and AWD....Im getting 23 city....and 28-31 highway depending on driving conditions...couldnt be happier with mileage in the greater DC area here....

I think your stop and go Boston traffic coupled with the DI and AWD are your cause........Im quite happy with the smaller engine, less HP.....but do have the FE2 suspension.....which I love......like many have said..the EPA estimate is just that and not gospel.....unfortunately it seems you are on the lower end of the spectrum....
  • blackcadillacblackcadillac Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, it seems like the DI and AWD are a major factor.
    I didn't think this config would have made such a difference. 200 miles per fill up. :( eeek.

I've heard others report mileage close to yours and it drives me crazy. 23 city... WOW! I'd be happy with 15 MPG. My concern was that my CTS had a problem. I'm still not sure if it is a problem. I haven't heard anybody report MPG's as low as mine. Anybody in Beantown with a CTS09 DI304 AWD? Whatcha gettin'?

Anyway, SRX? Sharp! Maybe they'll let us drive it for a week to check it out. maybe not.
    Oh well. thx
    Our cars sound similar (09, 3.6, AWD) and and we are in the same general area (I'm on the Cape), and I too am disappointed with the gas mileage. I've got just under 20,000 miles on mine and I don't even bother calculating the mileage around town, but have also seen as low as 200 miles on a tank. Long distance highway trips with an average speed of 70 to 75 mph, have returned in the 22 range. With a little aggressive driving, I can literally see the fuel gauge needle drop. With the quality issues my vehicle has had and the disappointing mileage I'd never buy another one, but like someone else on here said looking good driving it does come into play.