Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

whats the difference?

gsxrider137gsxrider137 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Subaru
i am looking into buying an 08 impreza wrx, but i noticed the horsepower difference between the wrx and the sti is 80 hp. whats the diffence that nakjes the same motor make more power? anyone know? i am more interested in buying the wrx...esspecially if i can make it make that kind of horsepower easy

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    It's not really the same motor any more. I think they did use the STI block for the first year or two of the 2.5T, at least that was the case with the Forester XT.

Basically, you get a lot more boost and forged pistons to handle the boost, a semi-closed deck block, a much stronger 6 speed manual, and a stronger clutch, and I'm sure much more.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    ECU, Injectors, Fuel Pump, Turbo, Intercooler, Intake manifold, and that's just on the power side.

It's not as simple as a manual boost controller and a Turbo-back exhaust to get from a WRX to an STi.

And I also suggest if anyone is going to push a WRX to STi levels, you'd also want the STi suspension, tire width, brembo brakes, transmission, rear diffy, etc. etc. or you run a safety risk.

-mike
  • Options
    gsxrider137gsxrider137 Member Posts: 3
    ok....then i'll just look at the wrx. 225hp is nothing to sneeze at...but i know i will be doing upgrades and i'd like to know where the threshold is on the car 1st...if i can.
    with upgrades, whqat can the wrx push out safely?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Depends on what mods you do. I know of ones putting out 500+ whp but that is with heavy internal and external modifications.

The weak link will be your transmission and internals of the engine IMO.

-mike
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, with that manual tranny I would not go much beyond 250hp, to be honest.

The automatics are actually a little more robust, and can handle more.
This discussion has been closed.