Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 4 Cylinder Transmission 2007+

adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
edited April 2014 in Toyota
I just got this car a month or so ago. I have almost 900 miles and I notice that the transmission is slow to react when accelerating. I also notice upon takeoff that the car basically jolts right off the start rather than smoothly accelerating. Is this normal behavior? I test drove another LE before choosing this car and I do not remember this occurring. Is there a fix for this?

Comments

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Read herelink title
  • adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    I read the link you sent me to, but that applies to the V6 and the model I have is a 4 cylinder, does that still apply?
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I've seen many posts about the I4 as well like Here and Here.

However, your is 2008, so Toyota mights need to come up w/ new fix or may be never. This problem has been known for a long time especially w/ Lexus.
  • iplanetiplanet Member Posts: 27
    Normally I warm up my LE for about 5 minutes and then it doesn't happen. The car you've test drove probably warmed up by other customer.

I have a friend who's driving 2006 Camry LE and told me same thing happens to his car, so he warms up about 5+ minutes before driving.
    Granted it is different when it is cold, the most prevalent issue is when I have slowed down, made a right turn and go to accelerate out of the turn, engine warm, the transmission is slow to respond and at times dangerous.
    My car sits inside a subterranean parking garage in Southern California, it never gets cold inside there, by the time I exit the needle on the temperature gauge is already 1/4 of the way up on the register.
  • booch55booch55 Member Posts: 5
    I had an 07 XLE 4 cylinder with the same type of problem. Had 2 TSBs performed, went to arbitration and lost, traded in the car for an 08 Honda Accord. Toyota's response to the problem was "The vehicle performs as designed" Then in my opinion, it was poorly designed and at times a hazzard to drive. Glad I got rid of it.

Good luck with your 08
    I noticed yet another issue, if I am cruising at 40 M.P.H. in "D" the transmission seems to shift into overdrive and the car shudders and vibrates. It seems to be prematurely shifting into overdrive, is this also "normal" for these transmissions?
    Another key factor in the transmission hesitation issue, is it seems to only do it after making a right turn while still moving, I noticed after completing a left turn it downshifts immediately. I think I will go in and speak to the service manager at the dealer where I acquired this car and speak to him to see if those TSBs would be beneficial or a waste of time. If he feels improvement would be gained, I will have it performed, otherwise, I guess i will have to get used too it. Other than these transmission issues, the car drives well overall, perhaps, I just need to get used to a new car, I had my last car 15 years so I was fully accustomed to its characteristics. That was a 93 honda Accord EX
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Get the TSB done - it will improve performance. Nearly all that have done it report great improvements in transmission performance.
    I have not had the TSBs performed as of yet, but I did try something I read about elsewhere. I drove around the city all day today in "4" instead of "D" and many of the issues were non existent. Will continue that for a while and see what happens with gas mileage etc...I filled up today and got 25, I'd hate to lose that with modifying the computer
    You won't lose mpg - the TSB is great.
  • doug52doug52 Member Posts: 25
    AT is the main issue here, for good reason evidently - anyone out there with experience with MT? If so, please tell me what you think.. Thanks, Doug
    To keep this on topic, the TSB also is for manual transmissions built before Sept. 07. I occasionally had some hesitation, but it was completely fixed with the TSB - took the dealer 35 minutes to reprogram the ECU with new software. Cars built after August already have the new software.
    My Camry was built in September of 2007 and this is the thread I started, so if my car has the new software in the computer, I would hate to see what it would be like if it was prior to August
    If you still think you have a problem, it would be worth it to check to make sure you have the new software. Mine is perfect now.
    UPDATE-It is now April, the car has 2400 miles on it and suddenly, the transmission is behaving normally, finally. The only thing it still does is shift into 5th at just under 40 M.P.H. when I have a light foot on the accelerator pedal. The delay after making a right turn to downshift appears to have straightened itself out. I have not taken the car in for anything thus far and at this point with the way it is behaving, I would not complain on its behavior. I think the computer has "learned" and it appears to be adequate and tolerable now.
  • monzmommonzmom Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I'm a confused car novice. I was all set to get a 2008 SE V6 when I came across these posts. I think I've been sufficiently scared away from that transmission. But it looks like it's happening with the 4 cylinder versions as well. That leaves me with the Camry Hybrid. They don't appear to be having the same issues. Do they have a different transmission from the other Camrys? If not, why aren't the hybrids having the same issues I've been reading about?
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yes, the Hybrid does have a different transmission. But I wouldn't shy away from the conventional 4-cylinder either, just the V6.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The Camry hybrid doesn't have a "transmission". The HSD system uses a planetary gearset with THREE possible drive torque inputs, the gasoline engine, MG1, and MG2, and one output, to the front differential.

It appears that the ENTIRE Toyota/Lexus FWD and F/AWD products series is suffering, going all the way back to the '98 RX300, from transaxle design flaws having NOTHING to do with engine "selection". It's just that the design flaw may exhibit itself in a more pronounced, noticeable, fashion in one engine vs another.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Yeah, I kinda knew that about the Hybrid, but I don't think the original questioner wanted quite that much detail.

Regarding the extent of this alleged problem, I'm not so sure it's that bad. My 2 Camrys (prior generation) are fine, and Consumer Reports doesn't show any transmission issues for pre-'07 Camrys either.
    I agree with 210Delray. 4 cylinder's fine.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Thought I would jump in here as a 2007 Camry hybrid owner. I suggest anyone planing to buy a Toyota Camry, at least test drive the hybrid. I am not trying to SELL the car, I am suggesting not at least trying it, would be a mistake. If you decide to take my advice, just drive it, don"t baby it or any other special treatment. You have a surprise comming. JMHO.
    No surprise there.....

Camry is lightweight, FWD, and HSD generates so much TORQUE that the ECU cannot allow the use of full torque even with your foot to the FLOOR.

It is a real shame, truly, that Toyota doesn't see fit, hasn't seen fit, to build a RWD hybrid SUV in this weight class.

If ever a Prius or Camry hybrid and a Porsche Boxster or Cayman turn up in Ebay savage simultaneously I'll be off to the races.
  • minivanguyminivanguy Member Posts: 85
    I was going to get the 08 camry hybrid until I test drove one. The car picks up like a slug, I think my wife's prius exccelerate faster. :surprise:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There's lots more information and conversation to be had over in the Camry Hybrid group. Check it out!
  • santocssantocs Member Posts: 54
    Hi, I bought a new 2009 Camry a month back. Will the dealer do the TSB's without any fee or will they charge a fee for it?
    Free - just complain of the hesitation when accelerating. Takes 1/2 hour.
  • chicagocamrychicagocamry Member Posts: 29
    Does the May 2008 TSB for the hesitation problem indicate which VIN number onwards already have the TSB applied?
    Yes it does, but I have not seen it yet. All TSBs indicate when the TSB was applied to the production lines.
    Is it beneficial to put the drive to Neutral or Park while you are on a stop light?
    I read that it reduces the pressure on the transmission and extends its life?

Pleas let me know if anybody has any idea on this.
    No, do not do this, unless it is for >3 minutes or so. It is actually more harmful to shift into and out of gear in an automatic.
    I wouldn't be so quick to make that statement were I you.

Since about 2000 most Toyota and Lexus transaxles do not downshift into first gear until you come to a full and complete stop. As a matter of fact there are rather strong indications that "these" cars do not downshift at all when coasting down to a stop unless you step on the gas pedal for "re-acceleration". And even then there can be as much as a 1-2 second delay in downshifting.

Be that as it may, I suspect that if one were to be able to reliably predict a full stop is upcoming then a quick shift into neutral BEFORE coming to a full stop would not only do no harm but increase FE slightly and possibly extend the life of the transaxle slightly.

Keep in mine that many of your fellow owners have learned to manually downshift the transaxle in this "like" instance so as to avoid the infamous 1-2 second "re-acceleration" downshift delay. That, in my opinion, would definitely shorten the useful life of the transaxle, but in compensation has the real potential of extending yours.
    Problem is that you have to put it back into gear when the light turns green, and that = wear. Most everything I have read says that taking an automatic into and out of gear at lights is a bad idea. What do I know, though, I have a manual tranny.
    "into and out of gear is a bad idea.."

If you allow these newer Toyota/lexus transaxles to operate normally they will upshift, or maybe just go into neutral ("A") as you coast down below 10 MPH coming to a stop, and then only shift into first once fully stopped ("B").

If you can manage to move the shifter into neutral just prior to point/time "A", and then back into gear at point/time "B", then you have caused no more "shifting" wear on the tranny than would have happened normally. And if "A" was to have been an upshift, as is most probable, you will have actually decreased the wear on the transaxle.
  • tclantontclanton Member Posts: 15
    Will a 2009 XLE 2540 with a build date of 6-26-2008 have the latest TSB?
    Probably, but the only way to be sure is to see the TSB, which I have not seen yet. Do a search for it on the internet. The TSB will list what models by VIN number it is applicable to.
    I spoke to my dealer and he said that he would check if there was any campaign for 08 or 09 camry and said there was a campaign only for 07 camry and when i gave him details of these TSB's he said when i come for my first oil change, he would connect the car to the computer and check if there is anything wrong.
    He's wrong, it is not just for the '07. Give him the TSB #0068-08 dated 5/21/08 it is for 2007-2009 2AZ engine, and 5 AT or 5 MT transmissions. In other words, the 4 cylinders. It is titled "ECM Calibration: Enhancement to Shifting Performance, Smoothness.:

It takes 0.9 hours (really only 25 minutes).
  • sadrusadru Member Posts: 1
    With the recent heavy snow in BC, my new Camry did spinning of tires in the snow. The transmission is now dead and Toyota says the warranty will not cover it. It seems at the dealer there were many others with similar problems. Anyone else in this boat?
    Below quote is directly, word for word, from the 2010 RX350 factory manual set.

"The TCM determines the gear that is to be selected when the accelerator pedal is released (released completely) in accordance with the way the accelerator pedal is released (quickly or slowly) during deceleration. In this way, unnecessary upshifts are prevented during deceleration, matching the driver's intentions. In addition, unintended downshifts are prevented when accelerating the vehicle again, achieving smooth acceleration."

So, unless you can learn to abide by the above rules as to how you "manage" the accelerator pedal the 1-2 second downshift delay will remain a potential problem.
    Did you somehow disable TC..??

Else what is the dealer's basis for denying warranty coverage...??

A 2008 FWD vehicle without a TC system that will INSTANTLY activate to prevent/alleviate driven wheel spinning via braking and engine dethrottle, INSTANT engine dethrottling, has been deemed to be PATENTLY unsafe.

TC will ALWAYS prevent undue stress on the transaxle arising from the situation you describe. Either the TC system FAILED or was somehow disabled, if it failed the warranty applies.
This discussion has been closed.