Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• kujhawk2001kujhawk2001 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem as everyone else except they charged me $1200 at the dealership. My gas gauge was reading past full when clearly empty. I ignored it as the dealership wanted $575 to fix. Then one day, I could not fill the gas tank, it kept shutting off automatically. They said it was the auto shut off incase of a roll over accident? Lovely. They 'fixed' it but then the gas tank was faulty and everytime I filled it up gas was pouring all over the ground. They said the gas tank repair was part of recall but the gauge and shut off was not? This seems wrong. How do you contact GMC customer service?
  • ms33362ms33362 Member Posts: 6
    GMC 1-800-462-8782, seems to be alot of problems with the envoy. I cant wait to get rid of mine...Good luck
  • calahoocalahoo Member Posts: 5
    Well my stabilitrak light has come on now and then. They say it is a computer module in the steering column. $1000 cdn to replace. Then steering wheel makes a squeaking noise. $1000 cdn to replace. Now our gas guage decided that one day it is 1/2 then it is empty. Is there anyone that can help me with some info for GMC Canada? I have 87,000 kms on it. Would any warranty cover anything. They just replaced the whole right front end under warranty. Only have had this truck for 6 months. Thanks.
  • oic_83oic_83 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Mariah,

I have a 2004 GMC Envoy and the cluster has went out on it. My oil gauge is pegged to the right and my speed odometer quits working when it rains out. Any advice for me?

Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Oic_83,
    Can you please email me so I can get some more information from you? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • magnastymagnasty Member Posts: 26
    edited June 2010
    Last fall I replaced the engine on my Envoy at 85,000 miles. Then the front 4WD differential failed and had to be repaired. The a/c fan works when it wants to, half of the lights on the radio buttons are out and the CD player feels like an oven when I listen to CDs. About a month ago the instrument cluster went haywire. I went to trade it in and the dealer tells me there was a recall on the cluster. I was never informed and I bought the vehicle new. The dealer told me I would have to have it repaired at my cost since the recall is no longer valid. And as if this was not enough, I was driving from Indiana to Ga. and at 2:00AM, the headlights went out. I had to drive about 4 hours with only the fog lights on. The dealership could not duplicate the problem. That was 2 years ago and it has happened 3 times since then.

After owning 14 GM vehicles -worked for GM for 23 years - I am done. I have never owned a foreign car or another domestic brand for that matter. I was trading my Envoy for a new Escalade, but tonight I told my wife I walked away from the Escalade and we are looking elsewhere.
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    Ok, I have read just about every post in here. I have a 2004 Envoy XUV, and so far the oil pressure gauge has pegged to the far right. The speedometer pegs at 120, and stays there even when the vehicle is stopped. The cruise control works when it wants to. And finally no relation to the elec. probs, but I have replaced the rear tailgate latches (all 3 of them) no less than 6 times in the last year. I replaced them for the last time 6 months ago, and have not opened the tailgate since. I am afraid to. I have read posts from a Mariah at GMC customer service, can anyone tell me how to get in contact with her??? Need all the help I can get.
    You may contact Mariah at socialmedia@gm.com She does respond.
    For those of you who are interested, there are a couple of companies that will repair your cluster for about $100. I found them on ebay. Search "envoy instrument cluster repair" on ebay and you will find it. The only thing is you have to know how to remove the cluster yourself which is not a big deal. There are a couple of websites that show you how to do it.
  • donneledonnele Member Posts: 6
    Well it looks like I'm now have joined the group of many! people with a 2005 Envoy and the speedometer is going nuts :-( This is really to bad its not covered when its Obvious so many of us!! Geeze GMC step up to the plate-- all I did was google it!! and got tons of hits. I will call the dealer- just barely cleared the 60,000 miles :-( -
    doubt i will get far with them - See all the sites to have it "rebuilt" - Does it POP out that easy? seen a utube post but was not a envoy - anyone have a site where I can see how to POP it out? Or online step directions?

Again its just really to bad to have all these issues - on what looks like a nice car :mad: Guess will be thinking twice when it comes time to to buy another one.
  • donneledonnele Member Posts: 6
    Can you please post a link to those websites?
    One of the most informative ones is

www.mrwhizard.com

Another is
    www.autoecu.com

Good luck!
    In order for GM to begin to consider looking at covering these issues, every vehicle owner should report the problems they are having to a GM dealership. GM only responds to volumes of complaints and of right now, they are hearing enough feedback to constitute considering a campaign. Since my original post, I have given up and traded my Envoy. I would suggest that everyone visit or at least call their local dealership and voice your displeasure.
  • dfalcodfalco Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 xuv I just bought recently started to act like it is full when I am trying to fill it up with gas. It just keeps spitting out and shutting the pump off so it takes almost 30 minutes to fill up if not longer. Any suggestions?
  • jcasertojcaserto Member Posts: 2
    I have experienced the same thing from time to time and found that if you just put the nozzle a very few inches into the tank it will work....good luck!
    edited July 2010
    thank u will try. Also, probably not a shock to anyone, my speedo don,t work. But will just deal with it cause all else works on cluster.
  • nothappy19nothappy19 Member Posts: 18
    I have had the same problem since I bought my Envoy. This helps but I still have gas come spurting out the gas spout and down the side of the car. If you put the nozzle in part way and do not put the hose all the way open, the first notch or second on the pump it will usually shut off in time, or I have learned to just listen for the sound of the gas to start getting to the top. Pain in the back side isn't it?
  • lvwelginmnlvwelginmn Member Posts: 2
    I have owned my 2004 Envoy SLT for four years now and after the first year everything that could go wrong did, I have spend so much money trying to keep ahead of this truck that my savings is drained. I can't afford another truck so just have to keep driving this one. But when in traffic and none of the gauges are working I just have to go with the flow of the traffic and hope like hell I don't get caught speeding or get a fix it ticket as I can't afford to get it fixed. I have no gauges and the tail gate gave up two years ago and I have to climb in and out to use the back of the truck looks great in a skirt after work getting groceries :mad: I have a bid from the Chevy dealer but they say they need to take the dash out and send it in to get it fixed for $650.00 and the tail gate will cost me another $650.00 :cry: I am single and do not have the money to do it oh well guess it is what it is but I'd sure like to see one of the top exects from GMC drive the piece of Sh*t day in and day out and not get any help from the company that knows full well that their product is a :lemon:

Lori
    Thanks for the advice, and yes it is a pain in the back side. On top of that my tailgate started to act up when me and my son went to play some golf. The top left latch would not engage. Got home and now everything is fine. The only way to get the gas to flow in is to turn it on and off really fast. :mad:
  • gdsantogdsanto Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    just yesterday i started to have electronic issues with my 2005 envoy xl. first when i went to exit truck the radio didnt shut off when i opened door. then the gauge gauge went from 1/4 tank to empty to full back to empty all in a minute. now it wont stay consistent. i dont know how much gas i really have. does gmc cover these problems?
    Hello Gdsanto,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • envoytrumpetenvoytrumpet Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Envoy XL V6 with 125,XXX miles on it. I had the gauges go out two years ago. The speedometer read one of the following: 0, 120, or somewhere around half the speed I was going. I delayed getting it fixed because of cost and I thought I wouldn't be able to drive it. I finally got tired of it and looked on eBay. I found "GaugeRepairMan" and his eBay store
    BRIAN'S SPEEDODOMETER REPAIR CENTER.
    Auction # 320512886257

Great News!:
    1. I got it done for $59 + 20 return shipping + 15 priority shipping to him
    2. You CAN drive without the gauges installed! I used an android app and a gps for a speedo. Many of you are probably good enough at guessing after driving with a broken one.
    2. A soccer mom could easily take them out in less than 20 min. without any fancy tools...just a very basic tool set Just put the steering wheel down. Undo the couple screws above the speedo and the couple that are connecting the lower dash (under the wheel) to the upper. The visor thingy comes off then you unscrew around the bezel and unclip. (sounds harder than it isx)
    3. He replaced ALL stepper motors (the things that cause the problem) with a new, more reliable version. My speedometer and oil pressure gauges where bad. He replaced all the motors with a new version that doesn't seem to have the same problems.
    4. The turnaround was VERY fast! I reinstalled my gauges less than a week after I first took them out.
    5. Reinstalling was just as easy as taking them out.
    6) He gave me a lifetime warranty on parts and labor, replaced all backlights, and re calibrated everything
    7) This isn't a band-aid fix, it is a permanent fix.

I haven't ever left a testimonial before. I have had the gauges in my car and working perfectly for a few months now.
    I am thrilled about the $600 I saved!
    I'm thrilled with their work!
  • tiffanyntiffanyn Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    Hi gdsanto,

Were you able to resolve your gas gauge problem on the Envoy? In June I filled up my tank, and the gauge immediately showed "E" (which happens every time I fill up). It had never happened before. Please let me know how you were able to repair yours (if you were).

I called about getting it repaired. Just the diagnostic is $99, and they said they may not even find the problem. Ugh...

Thank you,

TiffanyN
  • df_envoydf_envoy Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Envoy. I found the info on this discussion most helpful.

I contacted GMC and this is how it got resolved. I had the diagnosis done at the dealership. It was confirmed the Sending Unit was bad. GMC agreed to split the difference with me (still cost me $300.00) but much better that $600.00.

GMC Customer Servrice was reallly good throguh the process.

Hope this helps
  • kutenvoykutenvoy Member Posts: 1
    I think I have just started to have a similar problem.. I have an 03 envoy that has been pretty hevily modified by the previous owner, full air ride suspension, the front has been tubbed and things relocated, upgraded audio, you name it. the problem is with this truck its not always quite clear if a problem is just a problem with OEM equipment, or from all the cutting, wiring, and hacking the previous owner did on the truck.

This is what happened. I had all the gauges freeze in one position on me one morning. I disconnected the battery for a few hours to see if resetting everything would do the trick. IT DID! Gauge went back to working.... for a day. Then they froze up again, I tried the battery trick again, this time with no luck.

This is what its doing... All gauges are effected and frozen in place, the digital gear selector display is not on, the backlighting still is lit, turn signals still show, and when I turn the car on you can see all the warning lights still have power to them.. I dont know if this is the same issue with the gauge cluster, doesnt make sense to me for the whole thing to freeze up?? I would think if I lost power to the gauges all the needles would drop, like if I shut the truck off. But no, The tach is stuck at 1k RMP, gas gauge is stuck at 1/8th tank, speedo stuck at 0, all other gauges stuck at about normal readings, just not moving.
    Any insight to this issue would be helpful, Im just trying to diagnose if it is the gauge cluster that needs replaced/ repaired, or if it could be another issue from something else... Thanks for any help
  • bernz2bernz2 Member Posts: 1
    My Dad's 2003 Envoy is having problems with the fuel and oil presure gauges. Can you tell me what forum you recieved this information from. Also, who on E-Bay you purchased the stepper motors from.

Thanks Bernie
  • blazer6973547blazer6973547 Member Posts: 24
    edited November 2010
    2002 envoy cluster, it lights up warning lights work along with high beam and signals but not one guage will budge, ive heard others say gauges are stuck somewhere but mine are all just dead, i took out the battery over night and everything was good for a week. this time i took out the cluster over night but didnt make a difference. any suggestions? i put the cluster back and have the battery out tonight to see if it makes a difference for tomorrow......gotta admit though of all the problems with these suvs they are so nice to drive
  • cjckentuckycjckentucky Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2005 GMC Envoy.My speedometer is stuck above 120. Check engine light stays on. I am having a problem with the vehicle accelerating on it's own. sometimes it is sluggish and starts jerking while I'm driving other times I can be stopeed with my foot on the brake and it starts accelerating on it's own. It will also accelerate in park. Sometimes it will get sluggish and just die. Does anyone have this problem or know of any recalls. I am also having a problem with the brakes getting very hot and smells like something is burning.
  • andym3andym3 Member Posts: 5
    Honestly on my 2004 Envoy I'm just dealing with the nonsense. I'm refusing to pay out of pocket for something I feel should be a GMC-wide recall. Fortunately mine is minimal compared to others. My speedometer acts up periodically but the oil gauge is pegged out all the time. I have recently noticed "jerking" when I have the Cruise Control on and going downhill slightly. Others are reporting fuel gauge and light problems. I think you have a safety issue with the acceleration problems and should bring it to the NTSB attention.
    As I have said before, unless GM is hearing a ton of complaints (which they are not) your concerns will go ignored. I used to work for GM and they will never respond or address what they consider message board complaints. What you need to do is go to the dealership, talk to the service manager, then get the name(s) of the zone reps and talk to them too. Then ask them who is the next in line and keep calling/writing. Trust me, it will work. Another avenue is the BBB.

Now, it is up to you what you will do with this information. Just don't sit behind the keyboard...you have to make some calls and perhaps write a few letters/emails.
    cjckentucky,
    If you will e-mail me your request, VIN, and current mileage and I would be happy to look into recall information for you.
    Christina GM Customer Assistance
  • cjckentuckycjckentucky Member Posts: 3
    My VIN #1GKDT13S952212746 999. My mileage is around 79,500.
    Thank you for your response. Hope to hear from you soon.

CClark
  • tiffanyntiffanyn Member Posts: 8
    Hi GM Customer Svc,

The fuel gauge on my 2005 Envoy isn't working properly. When I fill the tank with gas, the gauge immediately falls to "empty". Then, after about 20 miles, the guage begins registering, then about 100 miles later it falls to "empty" again. From what I understand, quite a few people have had fuel gauge problems on this make/model vehicle. I've been told several different reasons as to why this is happening. What has been the most common reason for this?

Thank you!

Tiffany
    tiffanyn,
    I apologize you are having difficulties. I apologize I am not a mechanic and do not have information on reasons for the problem. I would recommend taking your vehicle to your dealer of choice. They will be able to assist you in diagnosing your vehicle and fixing the problem. Please keep me updated on your progress with the dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    cjckentucky,
    Please e-mail me so we can look into this concern further. You can e-mail me by clicking on my name. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Tiffany,

I would follow the GM customer service persons advice and take it to a dealer. Then when they tell you the springs are flawed in the design and many trucks have had this issue and were fixed by the dealerships, but the Envoy is not covered, ask for the zone rep. When this person does nothing but give you lip service, ask what is the next step in the appeal process. Then go to the BBB and file a complaint. Do the same at nhtsa.gov. If you bought the vehicle at the dealership you take it back to, I would file a BBB complaint against them too.

Christina, I understand your intentions are genuine and you are simply doing your job, but the people on this forum deserve much more. When the GM rep finally called me, he only suggested what dealerships to take my vehicle to since GM did not recognize this as a campaign issue. In short, I got nothing. There is an inherent design flaw with the instrument cluster and GM has known about it for sometime. However, they refuse to address it for the vehicles mentioned. GM simply is turning a deaf ear to the issue in my opinion and that is the reason why GM loses customers. If the initial quality does not kill the relationship with the customer, realiability and ignoring known issues will. As I said, I traded my Envoy and will never look back. There are people making a ton of money repairing GM instrument clusters and many of them are from the Envoy and Trailblazers from 2002-2006.
  • dpevarnikdpevarnik Member Posts: 1
    Wow! I thought I had just bought a lemon.

I have had my speedometer replaced and I'm on my second fuel gauge replacement. I have had my fuel line disconnect three times with two tows to the shop. Two front pinoins replaced. I have had the manifold replaced due to a crack in it. It was jerking one day and drove it to the shop and they had to tighten all the bolts to the transmission. This is what I can recall from the top of my head. It does sound like thier should be a recall notice on the speedometer.

The funny thing is that I bought a GMC Canyon a year before my Envoy and I have had no problems with it.
    dpevarnik,
    Will you please e-mail me with your complete contact information including a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and your situation including Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • lisammlisamm Member Posts: 1
    today was the 1st time I had the issue-speedometer seems too start at 57 when stopped & goes from there-the gas guage has been up & down-using my trip mileage to monitor it-this cluster is just completely confusing to me-is GMC dooing anything at all to fix these issues or are the owners respoonsible for malfunctions in their products???
    Please go back in this forum and read some of my posts on this. To answer your question, GM will not do a darn thing about this other than give lip service. The consumer has to raise the issue.
  • the_pittsthe_pitts Member Posts: 2
    I'm stuck with my lemon :lemon: thought it was against the law to sell a lemon but GMC is getting away with it. I bought a new GMC ENVOY in 2003 only had 35 miles on it when I drove it off the lot. In the first year the first long trip I took in it the dash board lights and service engine soon light lit up, took it to the nearest dealer some sensor had gone out. I know just before the 4th year I was constantly in the dealer service department tell them it wasn't driving right and being told I didn't know what I was talking about and it was in my head. Finally the damn thing couldn't get out of second gear. Guess what it needed a new transmission. It has never driven the same since. You know what is sad! GMC can't even fix their own cars worth a hoot! GMC certified to rip you off. This time I've taken my car in because I was told the cluster was a dealer part and the RPM gauge isn't working and the speedometer won't go below 20 and stick at 50 at times. Isn't this a safety issue? (Guess it not as serious an issue as excelerating vehicles by Toyota) What is the point of a speedometer if you can't tell how fast your going? And the price to repair this is outrageous! My car is at the service department now. Not happy was told the clusters not working and the water pump is broke and there is a crack in the gas tank...HMMMM! I can see why GMC is bouncing back. Oh and they are gonna replace the gas tank at no charge..HMMM :confuse: I know my gas tank wasn't leaking when I took it in so where is this crack and how did it get there? I originally took it in to have the gauges checked for NOT WORKING and to have the Belts replaced but ended up with more crap wrong with this LEMON. I am in the market for a new car and guess what I won't even be looking at! :mad: NOT AMERICAN MADE! :P And we bailed this company out for what reason??
    GM has wiped their hands of these problems. The Envoy has been discontinued. In my opinion, by not taking action they are telling the owners need to cut their losses and move on. Ford is selling far superior products and they NEVER had to ask for bail out money. Why, because they understand their business. Think about it, what can manufacturer would have to be so bad and not understand how to run their business and have to ask for a loan to survive? GM has ALWAYS been about getting the numbers out there. Trust me, I spent over 20 years working for GM and some of things they did to get the vehicles to the market will amaze you.

Now, think about this the next time you are in the market for a new car. Think about the trouble you have experienced and how GM has ignored you. Do you really want to go through the same pain with your next vehicle?
    lisamm,
    Are you still experiencing these issues? Have you had your vehicle into the dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • vegascaptainvegascaptain Member Posts: 3
    I bought this Envoy new in 2004 Here are the PROBLEMS I'VE HAD SO FAR:

*Front differetial - replaced...Cost $3600.00 Dealer split difference w/ me since just out of warranty, and previous complaints from me about FWD performance.
    *Transmission - went out... Just happened @ 100k miles. Cost $3000.00
    *Rear tail-lights - continuously burning out
    *Cigarette lighters - continuously burning fuses
    *Radio lights - Half of radio lights are burnt out
    *A/C - Fan blower will not work on highest (5) setting.. Cost wanted $500.00
    *Windshield washer fluid motor - burnt out. Has been for a long time. Cost wanted $500.00
    *Rearview mirror - Broke... Cost wanted $500.00.. You've gotta be kidding!

***Many other problems, but I am tired of complaning and coming upon deaf ears. Thanks for listening. I will never buy a GM vehicle again!
    I have a 2004 Envoy also and I have the same problems you stated. I did not realize about other peoples tail-lights, I also had to have a friend re-wire my headlight. Burnt the wiring right up. Cigerette lighter, I did not think about the fuses, it has not worked for years, I may try to find the fuse. Also the CD player will not take CD's and if you get one in it will not eject it. But the Stupid player does not work anyway, so I just have a picture of a CD flashing on the left side of the radio all the time. I also had the instrument panel replaced, water pump, the insulation around the door fall off all the time I am constantly pushing it back in place, real tail light on top does not work either.
  • supholmessupholmes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Envoy and for the most part I've loved it. It rides nice, I don't have too many problems, er I didn't think I had too many problems until I started listing them out in my head! 1st problem occurred when the check engine light came on. It wasn't flashing so it didn't concern me at first, had the code checked and I got something like Secondary Air of some sorts. Took it to the dealer I purchased it from and spent $250.00 for them to fix it. Got it back and drove it for a good week before the check engine light came back on and has been on ever since.
    2nd problem- about every 3-4 months I've had to replace a taillight or a headlamp. Thought that was a little unusual to have to replace so often.
    3rd problem- CD player freezes. CD in the player and works one minute and then next minute frozen, have to eject the CD and push it back in to get it to work. This ones not a biggie to me.
    4th problem- headlamps flicker almost like alternator getting ready to go out, but I have no loss of power in the car when it does it.
    5th problem- my heat/air won't work on #5.
    6th problem- part of the lights on stereo, heat/air controls are out.
    7th problem ( and biggest problem of them all)- my speedometer only works sporadically. I've had to resort to getting a GPS to monitor my speed because I can't rely on my speedometer. I'm either driving a really fast 0 or a really slow 120. When this first started occurring I would notice that anytime I got to 65mph and then slowed down, the gauge would stick and then go down. Then as time wore on, it would just stick at 65 and never move for 3-4 days. It's troublesome to me as I drive my car daily to take my kids to school, practice, to run my errands, etc. I don't have a lot of money to spend at the dealership to get this fixed all the time and I can't do without a vehicle at all.

What I would like to know if anyone has successfully gotten these issues looked into without having to pay a fortune? Is there is a legit recall for some of these issues? I would like to trade my vehicle in the near future, however until then I would like to know is there a resolution for these issues besides having to pay and arm and a leg and have a mechanic stare at you thinking you are crazy when you tell them what's been going on.
  • ms33362ms33362 Member Posts: 6
    I traded mine in. Best thing i ever did. to much of a headache.
    I read your email Supholmes, wow I had forgotton about a lot of this stuff from (starting in) 2007. Esspecially the headlamps flickering, no one seems to be with me when this happens and it still does.YUP, check engine light, headlamps/tailamps, CD player, and yes the speedometer, had to use my GPS too. I want to get rid of it so bad, but I sure would never sell it around my town, or to a friend. Every day I drive it I wonder what is going to go wrong next. The Envoy has such a BAD reputation that you won't get any money out of it. Trust me I have been checking. Oh by the way are your door seals coming apart too?
    supholmes,
    Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? I would like to look into this for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • the_pittsthe_pitts Member Posts: 2
    The tail lights were recalled because the bulbs are jiggling loose not burning out they should be replaced almost rear ended because of that problem was like replacing light bulbs in the tail lights every 2 weeks then got a recall notice in the mail so take it in they should replace those.