Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy instrument panel problems

Comments

• alihsalihs Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2008
    Oh and to fix my panel will be over $500!!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    alihs,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information? I look forward to your response. Thank you for taking the time to post your experience and giving me to opportunity to work with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • pocketpocket Member Posts: 29
    ahlis,
    Look back in the prior posts, you will find several references to people who can fix these panels, for around $200.00. Now I am not a GM mechanic, but from what I do know about electronics, you would not have to enter any codes for the panel to work, as they will only replace the stepper motors that drive the gauges. However if you replace the entire module, they would have to enter the codes for the new module to work with your computer onboard your envoy. For a difference of $300. I would seriously consider pulling the dashboard module yourself, and sending it in to one of these aforementioned people, and having it repaired. The module is not hard to pull, and is thoroughly explained in the Hayne's manual that is available at your local parts store for around $25.00. If this sounds like I have a personal agends, you are right. I am out to cost GM as much money as I can until they own up to their mistakes and do the right thing, and issue a full recall on these vehicles. If I can help any further, I monitor this sight, and am saving all correspondence on this issue. Just post a message in this forum to me, and I will respond. I am honest, and if I do not know the answer, I will tell you so. There is no BS here. Hopefully we can all band together and force GM to do the right thing. I drive 2 GM :lemon: 's and will not buy another one when these 2 are gone.
  • cbernonecbernone Member Posts: 3
    Bad dash bad car bad company bailout sure taxpayers dollars bad dash we live with recall is stupid no cut off at 70000 bad dash should get fixed free
    500 bucks yea cadilac battery from dealer only can gm rip us off any more just ask em!
    I’m sorry that your Envoy hasn’t been a satisfactory vehicle for you, and that during other family circumstances you’ve had the added stress of vehicle concerns. If you would like Customer Assistance, please email Christina here with your VIN, involved dealership, and contact information and we’ll do the best we can!

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • mlecumberrimlecumberri Member Posts: 1
    I am also having this problem, I have check all the connections to sensors as well as all the fuses and they're all fine. I just don't have the money to take it to a dealer either, specially if only the diagnosis is $100+
  • gmcluvr08gmcluvr08 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone that's had this problem with the dash panel had the windows not work and the vehicle not start? Or is this another problem altogether? A friend of mine has an 06 Envoy and all the dash lights come on and the windows don't work and it may start and it may not. Five days ago the dealer replaced the ignition switch and just tonight it is acting up again. They are about ready to trade this pile of junk off.
  • mac3013mac3013 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Envoy. In the beginning of Sept my boyfriend hasD the truck for a trip to NC, he noticed that they temp gauge was spiked all the way to 260. Him mad his buddies checked everything out and the car was not over heating. This was on a Sunday, the guage finally dropped back to 0 on Weds of that week. The following Sunday he was driving home from NC and it spiked again, it has not seen 0 since then. The guage has now completely Gina all thewaynaround and is back at the beginning where it should be.... Today I noticed that the battery guage is now spiked. The gas light only comes on when it feels like it and the panel doesn't chime when I open the door with the key in the ignition.

Don't really want to spend 700-1000 to get it fixed but I a guessing from this thread that I am going to have to do it....
    Mlecumberri,

We can check into any recall information available on your vehicle. Email us through the email available on our profile with your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN and we’ll look into that further.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Gmcluvr08,

I’m sorry to hear that this concern with your friend’s Envoy was not resolved. If your friend is willing to email us here or call the Customer Assistance center, we’d be more than happy to help with dealership follow up.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • myenvoymyenvoy Member Posts: 2
    I have had a consistent string of problems on my GMC envoy. I have driven with a useless instrument cluster for 3 years. The fuel gauge and the speedometer both stopped working 3 months after I bought from the GMC dealer, who would not stand by either and wanted to charge $700 for a new instrument cluster. In addition to the cluster, I have had the following issues: tie rods, fuel pump, face panel air conditioning/heat does not work (no mechanic even wants to mess with fixing this/cant figure out what is causing it). Within the last week, the back door/trunk latch, lock, and wind shield wiper do not work.

The vehicle is a disaster. I have some after market scam warranty - somehow does not cover anything that goes wrong with the envoy (guessing they just read this website and excluded all these issues).

Its sad b/c I was very pleased with my suburban and yukon. Now after the envoy, seems like quality has really gone south from the days of quality gm trucks/suvs. Wish i would have paid $2k more for the honda pilot instead of pouring the $2k over the years into the envoy that does not work.
    It is at the GM dealer now and as soon as it comes out they are going to trade for something else. This Envoy has left my friend stranded 4 times in the last year,very unacceptable for a vehicle with less than 85,000 miles on it.
  • myenvoymyenvoy Member Posts: 2
    2nd post within 2 days. Just yesterday, my 2004 envoy has showed low oil pressure, shut engine off, and the power steering stopped. Has happened 3x within the last 3 weeks. I do not even let my wife drive the vehicle anymore because of all the issues.As soon as you fix one, another shows up the next day.

Pretty sure it is the throttle body - which dealer wants to charge way too much to fix. Just another $500 issue to fix and $100 to tell me what the problem actually is.

In terms of the instrument cluster, I believe the core issue is the stepper motors which take a good deal of time/dis-assembly to fix.

Yesterday i solved the liftgate, wireless entry, rear wipper issue - poor quality of design and parts by GM the major issue. The back hatch wires were completely severed based on poor placement/wiring. Soldered back together and reconfigured placement.

It is a lot of fun paying and fixing all the issues that result years down the road from poor engineering and quality.
  • magnastymagnasty Member Posts: 26
    I feel for you. It sounds as though this car has several safety issues and that information should be reported to safecar.gov.

I want to share an email I received from a friend who WAS a potential Envoy buyer.

" ****** I looked at the website you sent me to....all I can say is that GM has screwed these guys royally. Thanks for the heads up. Now I know to stay away from any used Envoy or Trailblazer. In fact, I took your suggestion and look at Ford and some of the imports. The Honda Pilot looks inviting. As you suggested, I will pass this information on to anyone looking at a GM vehicle. Have these folks notified their local congressman? Thanks, Karen"
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Myenvoy,

I’m sorry to hear about the multiple concerns you’re having with your Envoy. I cannot make any guarantees up front about what can be done, but if you would like Customer Assistance to look further into your vehicle and getting this concern resolved, we can do so. Please email us with your information (name/username, contact info, last 8 of your VIN, involved dealership) and we’d be happy to see what we can do.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • dansndon2dansndon2 Member Posts: 1
    (2004 Envoy XUV) My temp. gauge just went out and lights in the panel have been out for some time. Just brought it to a repair shop and was informed it would be $615.00 to repair. GM needs to do the right thing here. I'm just finding out about this problem.
    We'd be happy to look into this further for you. Please email us more information, including your name/user name, contact information, the last 8 of your VIN, and your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sonnyazsonnyaz Member Posts: 3
    Please know, by posting here and expecting GM to do anything is ridiculous! THEY KNOW DAMN WELL THERE ARE PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLE!!! Yet, do NOTHING!!!

I have written letters to GM itself, to my local congressman, and have spoken to my attorney...one way or another, I hope I can get GM to pay for something that should have been recalled many moons ago!

I have copied all these notes pertaining to the very same issue every person here has! And, the ridiculous rebuttals we get from customer service...they do NOTHING!

GM is garbage, and I promise to NEVER buy another! I am going to go to the ends of the earth to get this right! They DO NOT CARE!
    I'm sorry that you're frustrated, sonnyaz.

Have you already worked with Customer Assistance? Can we look further into the situation for you, please? Email us with your name/user name, the last 8 of your VIN, any SR#s you have with us, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • corinam1975corinam1975 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2003 Envoy in 2002. It currently only has 81,000 miles on it. I've encountered a lot of these similar issues with my car. A week after buying it, I noticed a strange ticking noise from the Engine. I was told buy GMC it was a known problem, and for $100.00 that they would reprogram the computer. If its a known problem, why am I to pay to get it fixed? Then I paid $200.00 to have it fixed cause my AC levels would not work on 1 nor 5, so needless to say I was always having to adjust the AC... Just yesterday I tried to was my rear windshield and its not working, I noticed a lot of people having the same issue. Mind you, i live in California so I rarely need to use the wipers, so who knows how long this problem has been going on? These happen to be a few of the small issues going on with my car. The two main issues that I have are my suv not wanting to start and all the INSTRUMENT PANEL PROBLEMS. First off my suv will sometimes not start for know reason at all. I mess with the steering wheel, also changing the gears and after about 10 minutes the suv starts right up, so strange. I havent been able to pin point the issue. Second, My instrument panel cluster is in need of replacement. I first noticed my speedometer intermittently sticking, which has resulted in a $200.00 speeding ticket. Then my FUEL gauge is started to act up. It shows different levels at different times... Im just having to fill up all the time with fears that I may run out of gas. No, while driving at night all of my panel lights are not working. Im driving in darkness and having to fumble around to turn on the interior lights to see the heating/AC or the panel. I guess it doesnt matter if I see the panel, if I cant see how fast im going or if Im about to run out of gas.... Im wondering why some of these issues have not been recalled. I bought this SUV with a family and safety in mind and now im not too sure. The IPC issue is really making me think of getting rid of this SUV. SAFETY is a priority and I dont see GMC thinking the same way... :mad:
  • xuv73xuv73 Member Posts: 3
    Hey everyone,
    I have a 2004 Envoy Xuv my speedometer has been not been working for about 2 years now I took it to a mechanic and was informed I would have to buy a whole new cluster for $600. My driver side seat chooses which days it wants to work, I am also having problems with the air compressor I come outside each to see my cars rear almost touching the ground I normally have to start 2 or 3 times to get the compressor working. Since Ive had this car it's been nothing but head aches. You think a car under 77,000 miles would be more reliable. If anyone can give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it, and of course all of the problems with this car would began after my warranty runs out which I was shafted on that as well, but that's another story.
    I have many more problems with this vehicle just so stressed to list the rest, I think GMC needs to recall all these vehicles and handle all these electronical problems, its just really sad reading everyone's problems and knowing they are driving around like this, I'm paying so much money a month for a vehicle I'm unsatisfied with. It's a shame really
  • ksw1313ksw1313 Member Posts: 1
    Where are you located maybe I can get you to fix mine! My window is now stuck down because my wiper quit working mid stride (the window was up at the time) so there is a wiper obstruction. Pushed the yellow button on the inside just cuz I was frustrated and the dam window went down...go figure.
    Is it a pain to fix it yourself or is it not to bad?
    Xuv73,

Have you been working with a dealership or with Customer Assistance on these concerns?

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • elle66elle66 Member Posts: 2
    I have had this vehicle for 3 years now, bought it second hand. The instrument panel started to go about 1 1/2 ago. I thought it was a fuse but no. Slowly the whole thing started to go. I went to the dealer. They said it would cost me 900.00 to replace the panel, not including labor. I have 1 more year until this vehicle is paid off. I am getting my tires changed in a few weeks, have a wheel bearing to replace...trading it in, in the spring...I'm done. I won't buy a gmc again. No help from the dealer, they don't care that I am driving at risk on the road.
    I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your Envoy. If we can look into things further for you, please email us more information, including your name/username, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sarah,

I haven't worked with anyone since I found out the price to fix the "problems" with this car. But if there is a number I will definetly put it to use Wht steps do I need to take?
    You can either email us your information (name/user name, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN, the name of your involved dealership, and more information about the trips you've made to the dealer to address your current concern) or you can speak to somebody over the phone by calling 800-462-8782 (Monday-Saturday, 8am-9pm EST).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • lilcutie1lilcutie1 Member Posts: 3
    Everytime I fill have up the gas tank on my 2005 ENVOY the check engine light comes on the fuel guage reads empty when the tank is full. I received a letter from GMC stating they will pay for 1/2 the cost to repair which I think is unfair. With so many customers having this problem there should be a recall on this item. However they will not take responsibility for item. After talking to representatives from GMC I was asked to take it into a GMC dealer to check it out. I took to the GMC dealer for them to check it only for them to tell me that I would also be responsible for the cost of a diagnostics. This seems like a very unjust request since they are very aware of the problem. This is my first GMC vehicle and will be my last. Every where I go people want to know how I like my truck I use to tell Very much. Now I will tell them to stay away from GMC because they are not loyal to there customers or there product.
    I have the exact same problem and reset my odometer. I support a class action suit
  • tiffanyntiffanyn Member Posts: 8
    I have to say that I agree, Lilcutie1. Before having this fuel gauge problem (and a couple more), I would have recommended this car to anyone. Now, I wouldn't. And the fact that GMC will pay for 1/2 of the repair indicates that they know there is a problem. They should pay for the full repair cost. I own a small business, and I can't even imagine not taking care of my customers. Don't they realize that, by not paying for the repairs, they will lose return business, which must cost a lot more in the long run than these repair costs? It simply doesn't make sense...
    I have back and forth in communication with the corporate office and they don't seem to get it. We really need to look into what our options are for a class action case.
  • badenvoyxlbadenvoyxl Member Posts: 2
    I am the first owner of a 2005 Envoy XL SLT with 86,000 miles. I have had a couple major problems with my truck. First problem the truck was burning oil. Thank goodness this problem occurred while the truck was still under warranty. Now that the car has reached 7 years old and is out of warranty I have encountered new problems. First the RPM gauge stopped working temporarily. The head lights turn off sometimes and it doesn't respond to turning the switch on and off. The air condition trap door, which is located under the dashboard is stuck, so if I turn off the air it makes an annoying clicking sound. Penske said it will cost $1000 to repair the air condition door. The newest and most frustrating problem with my truck is the fuel gauge is broken. When I fill up my truck the gauge bounces up and down and the electronic mileage display indicates "---" or it states "fuel level low". Penske stated that I have to pay $175 to repair this problem and GMC will pay the remaining portion. I think it is unreasonable for them to charge me anything because the average gas gauge sensor lasts 12 to 20 years without a problem. GMC should recall the part and pay for the entire cost.
  • grogers667grogers667 Member Posts: 9
    Welcome to the club!! I saw a lady the other day driving an Envoy and ask her about the truck. She said and I agree, "It rides good but NONE of my gauges work and I bought it new!" GMC SHOULD recall ALL of these vehicles! Anyone you ask will tell you they have the same issues!! We were stranded on the interstate with a 3 month old baby in the back seat when ours ran out of gas..in a construction zone!! And they say it is not a SAFETY issue?? If you don't use the rip off dealers they will not refund you anything!!!
    I am sorry that you are frustrated as a result of the fuel gauge concern on your Envoy. If you were interested in a Customer Assistance case, where we would investigate your situation, please send us an email with more information, including your name and contact information, your involved dealership and an account of your visits there for this concern (if applicable), and the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Thank you for posting, tiffanyn. From your submission, it sounds like you have had a few different concerns arise with your vehicle in addition to the fuel gauge? Have you been working with your dealership towards resolving these concerns? If we can set up a customer assistance case for you, which are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, please email us more information (include your name and contact information, your involved dealership and an account of your visits there for these concerns (if applicable), and the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Badenvoyxl,

I can understand why you are frustrated. I have posted in response to other forum members who have a similar position to yours in regards to the repair on the gas gauge inviting them to open up a Customer Assistance Case, and wanted to make sure that you knew you were invited to do so as well.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ewanewan Member Posts: 2
    I Agree with you Alihs, from the day i bought my used GMC Envoy till now i 'm having issues with my GMC Envoy 2004. At times i'm driving with my family and the car begin to feel like it just cant go anymore, the wheels become locked up along with the engine making a lot of noise with the car moving really slow. I was also stranded at new york when my GMC decided not to start, after i had it towed to the closest mec shop i was told that it was the battery, so i bought a new one, still didn't work, took almost the old day for them to figure out that it was the ignition switch. I've been trying to trade this car in for the last three years but no dealership is willing to take it, they are even willing to let me keep the envoy along with giving me another car. Really don't know what to do, i'm only sure that i worry everyday my family and i get in that car.
    Gm paid for my dash replacement gmc envoy 2004 paid 429 dollars used dashed fixed by term auto in brooklawn new jersey. Thanks gm!
    My friends took their Envoy to a different dealer and they pulled all the codes out and looked them over and found a TSB from GM that the drivers seat control module needed to be reflashed. That was over a week ago and so far none of the issues they were having have returned. It cost them $70 to have this done.
  • wgirtwgirt Member Posts: 1
    I think WE all need to file a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against GM for this. Clearly this is the MANUFACTURER's mistake that we are being FORCED to bear the cost of. As a consumer...this is unacceptable. I for one WILL NEVER AGAIN purchase another GM product in my lifetime if this is the way GM takes care of their problems...and their customers.
  • grogers667grogers667 Member Posts: 9
    We were told once it was a battery problem too... replaced the battery and still did not fix the issues... we bought this truck new in 06... Envoy XLT.. with every option
    1. Problems since... at about 20k miles air would not come on..took it back to dealer they could not get it to repeat the problem..the ac began working again... again the ac quit and several more times but it would always start back up..took it back to dealer , again they could not get it to repeat the problem!
    2. Rubber seal from the back doors comes loose at about 30k or so... The glue around the back hatch began oozing..took it to my dealer ( 50 mi away) they patched it by putting more goo on it...
    3. Began giving out of gas though the gauge would say it had gas..then the gas light would come on when the truck was FULL... at about 70k... We held out hopes after finding this site, GM would recall these..took it to dealer to check..NO recall of course! We were told it would costs us around 80 for diagnostic and about 700 to 1000 to repair fuel gauge because it is in the tank and they would have to drop the gas tank...it was out of warranty at this time and also the dealer we purchased it from went Bankrupt...so this was another dealer...

4. After giving out of gas on the sad day my husband was diagnosed with cancer, and our 3 month old grand baby was in the back seat, on a busy interstate in construction, we bite the bullet and paid a private garage to fix it and put point in it... it costs over 600 .. still cheaper than GM Dealer...

5. Gas gauge working but NOW the check engine light STAYS on... It idles rough, it has about 106 k... we went out of town for cancer treatments to come back to truck and it wouldn't start.. battery replaced next week...

6. Had to put a water pump on it... 597.00... Tech stated water pump was 'coming apart" ... The truck still idles rough... paid for now..would like to not have a payment but it is not dependable..can't trade it and would NOT sell it to my worst enemy! Thanks GM...AND when you send in your VIN and info , don't expect much!I have not got anything! GMC = Great Money for COMPANY or Government Motors... gonna paint me a lemon on each door when I can afford it!! Right now I have more problems than this so will deal with it day by day!
    We're glad that you're satisfied! How has everything been working since it was replaced?

If we can be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to get into contact with us via email with more information.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I'm sorry that you are upset, wgirt. I tried to look and see your previous posts but was unable to see any. If that is my own user error, I apologize if I am being redundant, but I wanted to see if there is some way I can be of service to you? Are you currently driving an Envoy and experiencing some concerns?

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ewanewan Member Posts: 2
    Good evening Sarah,

I'm currently a owner of a 2004 GMC Envoy and I'm having a number of different issues with it. The warranty on my Envoy has been expired for the last couple years and since the day i bought it I've spent thousands of dollars on repair cost alone. Whenever i go to the dealership to get it looked at they would issue me a laundry list of faults along with huge bill. I really cant wait to pay the truck off, it's nothing but trouble. I would even trade it in just to get rid of it, extremely tired of worrying while driving with my family.

v/r
    Ewan
  • mrs_herrera15mrs_herrera15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Envoy XL that has recently been giving us a TON of problems. First, the fuel sensor has not worked for some time now and I have to go by my mileage to estimate when I need to fill up. Second, my AC went out and has not worked for a few months. Third, my truck would turn off suddenly when I would be at a stop light or pulling up into my garage. So, my husband being a great mechanic recently spent over $800 in parts alone, and did the labor himself. BUT now the problems seem to continue. The oil pressue gauge is not working now so we don't know what to do. If I would have known there were more like us experiencing the same problems I would have waited on spending money we don't have to fix our only SUV. This was our first American made truck and I think it might be our last. I have had my truck for 4 years now and have maintained it regulary. But the problems seem to be getting worse. Please help!!
    Ewan,

Thank you for sending this post my way. I want to express my apologies that you have encountered so many frustrations with your vehicle. Do you have a current concern that is waiting on a repair? If you do, we would like to get a Customer Assistance Case established for you, but would need some more information in order to do so. If you would please email us: your name/username and contact information (phone and address), the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN and its current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Good afternoon, Mrs. Herrera,

I am sorry to hear that your Envoy is experiencing some difficulties. I see that your husband has technical expertise, and respect that. I understand that visiting a dealership for a diagnosis is not always an option for everybody, but if you do decide to go in for a diagnosis, please let us know as we would like to make sure to follow up with you on it.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • magnastymagnasty Member Posts: 26
    I hate to burst your bubble, but the only help you are going to get is from your husband. Please understand, GM is not only going to ignore these issues, they will not offer any kind of assistance unless you allow the dealership to bleed you for money. Don't believe me? Look at the response you received from GM customer serivice.

As I said many times in the forum, as a former GM employee I understand the game they are playing. They will allow you to voice your concerns, but will never issue a recall for know defects such as the many listed here. The only way they will possibly respond (and I doubt that now) is if you have a safety issue as a result of these problems. Go to the NHTSA website and safecar.gov and register a complaint. Good luck!

Oh, by the way, when you get fed up you can always do what I did. After owning several GM cars, trucks and SUVs over the years, I decided to drop GM as my vehicle of choice.