Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Electrical Problems

Comments

• sarahmsisarahmsi Member Posts: 5
    I own a 2005 Envoy XL, I purchased it new. I've had tons of electrical issues and it was even at the dealer for about a month and they finally fixed it. I made a case with Better Business Bureau and got GM to may my car payment for a month. that was in 2006 just when the warranty ran out. Since then I've had all the issues I've seen mentioned here. Today, my husband told me my break lights were out, I checked the bulbs and was replacing the fuses, when I replaced the fuse for the back lights it poped as I put it in. Has anyone had this problem before, and is this going to cost an arm and a leg? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open. :sick:
  • brumpfbrumpf Member Posts: 14
    Got a new one for you, I can't get the key out of the ingnition. I have to restart and sit there like a fool for about 5 mintes and then I can turn it off. Thanks for the great idea the Better Business Bureau.

GM recalled the vehicle for this windshield wiper problem. I took the car in and supposedly got it fixed. As soon as my warranty expired the windshield wipers shorted out the whole unit in the steering column and it cost me $660.00. GM wouldn't stand by the problem. So I'm going tofile a complaint wit the Better Business Bureau like you did, instead of taking them to court. This vehicle should be designated a lemon.

Needless to say, but I will repeat it here, GM has seen the last of my business!
    Just make sure you keep all your service receipts. GM even extended my warranty for 90 days, of course nothing happened until after it expired. I do have over 140K miles on the vehicle, I drive it like crazy. Last year I had to replace the transmission and now I'm told the cooling fan needs replacement but its been replaced twice by the dealer (for free because of my complaining) my check engine light stays on all the time, I'm told the vehicle will over heat, but it has never happened so I attribute it all to an electrical short some where. Now my fuel gauge is also out. :mad:
  • fireman22fireman22 Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2000 Envoy started doing weird things today. I started the thing today and the gages and the lights started flashing off every 5 seconds or so. And then when I backed it in the driveway and stopped it just stalled and I could not get the key out. I turned the key forward and everything was still black turned it back and forth a few times and it cranked over then I removed the key when we got out nothing came on no dome light no power locks. Anybody have a guess at what might be wrong. Thanks in advance. :sick:
    This has happened to me a few times, It turned out to be a big mess with the electrical system. the short was finally blamed on the rear defogger connections, the mechanic said it had shorted out the entire system. My first suggestion is to check all the fuses and replace them, its not too expensive. Good Luck :confuse:
  • problem_envoyproblem_envoy Member Posts: 4
    I feel your pain - I have a 2008 that has had one issue after another - it's been inthe shop a dozen times. I think it's electrical - but they always find something else to "fix" on it. Nothing like driving at 11:00 @ night going 70 miles an hour - radios dies, then your headlights, and then you coast to the side of the road hoping nothing (like a guard rail, cement barrier, or cliff) if there!!!!! It started right back up - lights radio & all - but it's been one issue after another!!!! My warrant runs out soon and although financially I can't afford it - I'm going to have to unload it. Otherwise, I'll definately be broke!!!! Do you know what the endless service record has done to your over all value??
    I'm scared to - to drive this miserable GMC Envoy!! Mine soon will be out of warranty and it's in the shop at least every other week - I have to believe they've already replaced 1/2 of everything on that car!!! Next time - I'm not buying GMC - for sure - I've always had a Chevy and my husband wanted me to "upgrade" to a GMC - I got 4 wheel drive which he does not like - and he claims that is what all the problems stem from. Other than him being a jerk, I think the car is just short of a "lemon!!!"
    I totally agree with YOU!!! We have been GM customers since 1974 and my 2008 GMC Envoy is the worst of the worst - we have never had a car with this many problems - it's in the shop every couple weeks. I think they'ver replaced 1/2 of it - which is a good think because it will soon be out of warranty. GMC has some major flaws in it's product line. Have you had any "stabilitrack" problems - I've had it in for the recall, and every couple weeks the "service stabilitrack" light comes on and they change something else. The garage is about as inept as they come - but it's miles to another GMC dealer. I can't afford to keep the thing after the warranty runs out.
  • tunerotunero Member Posts: 2
    if you still have the problem? it will be the hot and cold door module it can be change by glow box
  • tunerotunero Member Posts: 2
    what exactly your truck doing?
  • blackbeauty5blackbeauty5 Member Posts: 2
    yes this could be a fuel pump, what you should do is a fuel pump pressure test ,drive it with the pressure guage attach observe pressure when the car acts up at that point if pressure drop then it a fuel pump working intermittently, if pressure is still there then it may be relay or wiring check it out, if this helps
  • dbridges1951dbridges1951 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem and went back and forth to the dealership numerous times.......finally blew my top and they sent me to a Chev dealers service department ...the problem was a short in the wires in the steering column... repairman said it was common problem and it took him forever when he worked on the first car with the problem but now that is the first thing he checks ......that explains why it goes off and on at different times and sometimes stays off for a week or an hour or a day or two....ho[pe this helps////////DB
    I've posted previous messages about my car, so I won't go into detail. But I've been reading the electrical issues and I've got one if any one can suggest anything, i'm open. My brake light fuse kept burning out every day, sometimes weeks when I put it in it popped immediately. Now, I've had the same fuse in for a month, tested it and still shows good, but still no break lights and get this, if I have no break lights my cruise control doesn't work either, crazy, I know. So, I'm driving a 5yr old Envoy with no break lights, no cruise control, a broken gas guage and today my husband was on the passenger seat and when we parked his door would not unlock.... had to start the car, put it in reverse, back up then drive forward and put it in park again then the door unlocked.. We should do a class action on GMC with these Envoys...geez.. :lemon:
  • tkaminski1tkaminski1 Member Posts: 5
    As I was driving my car the dash board lights all lit up,including the low oil, anti locks, every light, couldnt read the gear I was in, everything!! The air conditioning stopped working, the radio turned off, the windows and locks wouldnt work! It would go back to normal for a couple of seconds and then would go out again. I took it in the shop and they couldnt figure it out, they actually fixed something with the computer. It was back to normal for a day and back out again today!!! HELP!! This is a 2005 Envoy.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Tkaminski1,
    Are all of your instruments out? Did you call the dealership back to say it was doing it again? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Okay, yesterday I was doing my errands, stopped at the store before I picked my kid up from school. Was out of the car 20 min at most, when I got back in, it would not start, no lights, nothing. When I tried the key again, the instrument panel was flickering and there was a high pitch sound coming from the radio. I called AAA and they came and jumped my battery and said I needed a new battery, this is the second battery I've replaced. They said an electrical short must be draining my battery. $175 to check it out and see if they can find the problem...... Yeah like I can afford that right now. And Tkaminski1, I'm guessing your car is out of warranty? if not, take it back and make them fix it.
    I actually took it to a local place that does my repairs, not the dealership. They have my car right now and have had it since Tue. I am waiting to hear from them, but they seemed to be cluelss as to what the problem was. They charged me $700 so far and I am having the same exact problem. Have you heard of this problem before?? I was able to drive it for a day and then the next day it wouldnt start in my garage, had to have it towed.
    Yes it is out of warranty. I am hoping the place finds the problem today and eventually we are trading it in for a new car.
  • eblueblu Member Posts: 3
    Went out to start my 2003 GMC Envoy and it wouldn't start. It made some static noises and the power came on but it wouldn't start. I think I have around 50,000 miles on it. I really haven't had any other problems with it. This is just inconvenient. Glad I still have my Civic!
  • libbnskylibbnsky Member Posts: 1
    You guys are scaring me! I just bought a 2005 Envoy and reading all of your problems with your Envoys is worrying me! Have had it for 3 weeks, and had the airbag light stay on, which the dealer fixed, since it happened before we actually bought it, and the engine light come on, which we are waiting for an oxygen sensor for it. Hope I have better luck than all of you!! Luckily we bought a good warranty!!
  • loushuloushu Member Posts: 1
    I hope you have fixed the problem. If not, ask the mechanic to check the switch in the steering wheel column. I saw an earlier posting suggesting the same.
    I had similar problems on my 2005 Envoy as you had described. While I was driving one day, all lights in the instrument panel suddenly lit up. I pulled the car to the side, stopped the engine and tried to start it a few minutes later. At first there was not even a clicking sound, like the battery was totally dead. After a few tries, the starter cranked but the engine wouldn't start. A few more attempts later, handles in the instrument meters swung widely but the engine still wouldn't started. The car was towed to a repair shop. After several days, the mechanic told me the problem was a short in the switch in the steering wheel column and he had replaced it. The car was fine since.
  • dinky3dinky3 Member Posts: 1
    I was having the same problems. I am retired now so I don't drive my 2004 Envoy XUV much. I had replaced the battery July 09, and by November 09 when I would go to start the vehicle I would hear "clicking noises" and it would not turn over. I could jump the vehicle and it would be good for 4 days, and then the battery would be dead again. So I just had to let the DANG vehicle sit for about a year, and drive my Maxima. I had purchased the battery for my Envoy from AutoZone (they are wonderful by the way), and they replaced the battery with a new one this year. I had the vehicle in the shop several times again in 2010, and no mechanic could figure out what was "draining the battery" down till it had no power what-so-ever. Then I remembered that the same thing years ago happened to someone else I knew. The bottom line is I was not driving my vehicle enough or starting it and letting it run in the driveway (whatch out in some states/cities this is illegal), and so the "SECURITY SYSTEM" was constantly running (the red light blinking) and that was "draining the battery". So, I jumped it again in October 2010, drove about 40 miles, and I make sure to atleast start it about every 3 days, I have not had a problem with starting it since then (it has been well over a month now), also no more clicking noises. I hope this helps, I love my Envoy but like you I couldn't trust it.
  • boogeyx2boogeyx2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 GMC Envoy also. Amazingly just after the warranty expired i started having trouble. First the Check engine light said camshaft position sensor failed . I replaced it and this did nothing. Then the Speedometer started acting crazy. Shortly after this the radio works sometimes and mostly it doesn't. Now it misses very badly and tells me multiple cylinder misfire and cylinder 6 misfire. i Swapped out the plug and coil to another cylinder with no effect...What a POS!!! trade in value is a joke so im stuck with it..
  • cheitcheit Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, I am having the same battery draw issue you all are having. Periodically, we will come out in the morning to start the Envoy and the battery is completely dead. I have checked doors, cell phone chargers, etc. and nothing looks like the obvious problem. I don't touch anything, I simply charge the battery backup and look at the vehicle for lights on, door ajar, etc., but I don't see or hear anything that would be the obviousl problem. It's happened 8-10 times over the past 9 months, and I have had the battery replaced, had a small service station do a battery draw test (they found nothing), and had the GMC dealership do a full electrical test, and battery draw test (they found nothing either). Tonight, I am making the dealership keep the Envoy overnight to try and see if it goes dead by morning.

Our Envoy is the Denali version with the DVD and Nav, and since the DVD player is broken (that's a whole other story), I'm going to disconnect the power to the DVD Player via the fuse or directly when I get it back, and I'm going to see if the DVD (technically an "after-market" item) is causing the issue.

I'll keep you posted, but would love any feedback from the original poster if they managed to resolve the issue.
  • kjaynekjayne Member Posts: 1
    About 6 months ago my Emvoy completely died, no lights no nothing, took battery in and there were 3 dead cells so I they give me a new battery. Two weeks ago, car completely dies 30 mins later starts up fine i take it to the shop, gages are all out of wack, none of them are working. Shop tells me its the cluster in the computer, fixes it, car starts gages work great. Fri car completely dead. Put the positive from the jumper cable on my battery, not even connected to the other car, it starts. Wont start Sat or Sun, get a jump this morning and it starts. Have it at the shop right now, hoping they can find the issue. So frustrating, have had this car for 3 years with no problems until now. Its a 2004, have already put in 500.00! From what I have read here it could be a multitude of problems!
  • cheitcheit Member Posts: 2
    Hey guys, update on my Envoy (2006 Denali version). Car died in the garage overnight, so I didn't touch a thing - I just charge the battery and drove it straight to the GMC dealership. Had them keep it overnight. It was dead by the morning, so they did a draw test and found some wiring in the back hatch that was lose, and based on how the wires landed/feel when we closed the hatch, it would make a connection and drain the battery. We thought for the longest time it was that the hatch wasn't closing all the way, since it seemed to be happening after we got something out of the back (groceries, etc.). Turns out we weren't far off. My recommendation is as soon as it dies, don't touch anything and just bring it right in so the draw on the battery will be there when you take it in. Also was told by the service rep that the starter causes a number of issues with this vehicle. Issues arise when you shut the car off, the starter doesn't fully disengage, and keeps certain items on (electricly) when you think the car is shut off.

I'm now fully repaired for under $150, and I hope you guys have the same luck.
    Do you have a DVD systme built in your car? The dealership came to the conclusion that it was the DVD system draining the battery. Before the battery issue I had an electrical issue that kept going in and out. They noticed their was a fuse in the tailgate that was short. Good luck!!!
  • dwyczalekdwyczalek Member Posts: 2
    Looks like quite an old e-mail don't know if you got it fixed yet I just bought one and it doesn't work either I know the fuse box is under hood on drivers side, I checked mine and i have 12 volts at the window but it still doesn't work I haven't fixed it yet im thinking it is a bad ground not a fuse.
  • keepupkeepup Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same issue with my speedometer as most of you. Somtimes it moves other times it reads 40 when I'm on the freeway and I know I'm doing at least 100 and then there are the days when the needle just sits at 0! If we all call Transport Canada ( 1-800 333-0510) and put in a complaint we might stand a chance of getting the Envoy added to the goodwill act and get our vehicles fixed or our money back, but we need everyone to call. So if you know someone with this issue give them the number. I have always been a GM person I even talked 2 of my best friends into buying an Envoy... come on GM step up to the plate and stand behind your products! Dont make me switch to one of those other 2 vehicle makers!
  • ghg29205ghg29205 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 2002 GMC Envoy on December 15th.

For the last couple of weeks, at random times during the night (or whenever the car is sitting idly parked) my rear brake lights and front parking lights come on for 5 minutes or so and then by the time I check again a few minutes later they're turned back off.

This has caused me to have to jumpstart my vehicle several times now over the last few days.

I've tried several different things as far as adjusting the ambient light settings for when I use my remote door lock and I've also tried simply using my key to lock my car when parking it. Nothing seems to be working.

I'm dreading taking it into GMC after reading some of the horror stories on here about how difficult it seems to nail down what sort of electrical problem may be at play here.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this problem?
  • soozie2soozie2 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2011
    My 06 Envoy denali started developing problems over the last few months: service stabilitrak lite stays on or goes off whenever. Last month my headlights went out completely and had to replace the low beam relay. Recently the engine light came on but nothing showed up on the diagonostic computer. Three days ago the stop engine warning signal came on and the oil pressure gauge went all the way down. I got out checked the oil it seemed a bit low, so I added a quart and went on my way...started up okay, no warning lights,ran okay, then about a half mile down the whole thing happened again. Scared me to death! I was alone on a dark road waiting for AAA for three hours! Got it to the mechanic who when he did the computer diagnosis was told i need a valve. He replaced it and the engine light is still on. I am so disappointed , I thought I was driving a reliable car. BTW just broke 70k. Any advice?
  • mtuvamtuva Member Posts: 1
    did they find the problem?
    My envoy denali is still not fixed. It appears there are some serious electrical issues. The computer diagnosis says it is one thing, they fix it then it tells them it is something else. Engine light is still on and so is the stabilitrak light.
    soozie2,
    Have you spoke with a GM Dealer?
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jlatimorejlatimore Member Posts: 2
    I have had all the problems that some have mentioned when it comes to this auto. I have replaced the ignition because I couldn't get the key to turn in the lock position so it could be removed. Now I can't get the brake or tail lights to go off when the truck is not running. Has anybody had this same problem and what did you do go get them to go off?
  • jlatimorejlatimore Member Posts: 2
    I awoke this morning to find my brake and parking lights on and the car was not running. Did you have any success in finding out the problem and what did you do to fix the problem.
  • gaberwokkysmomgaberwokkysmom Member Posts: 1
    i have the 2006 envoy, 4.2 inline 6 engine 38k. i've had it for almost a year and never had a problem til now w/it. it started a few weeks ago as my family and i were returning home on the highway the rpms plummeted, power steering failed and the car died completely mid highway. luckily i was able to coast to the shoulder. my hubby (a mechanic) couldnt see anything immediately wrong. i turned the key and it started up again with no problem, like it had never happened. we drove home thinking it was a fluke. it got so bad over the nxt few days tht in the span of a 16 mile trip it did the same thing 10x's. fuses & relays have been switched out, engine parts cleaned & codes wiped at the shop. still doing it and GM said they've not had any complaints with the Envoys to date and no active recalls. my husband deploys in a very short window and i would like to have a reliable vehicle while he's gone especially w/my 2yr old being special needs. any and all help is welcome
    Hi gab: i sympathize....have you talked to a customer service rep from GM? I am currently investigating my ongoing denali issues with them and hope they will stand by their product. If you really research further you'll see there are many issues and complaints with this models electrical systems and suspensions. I might be naieve but i can only hope gm will strive for customer satisfaction and loyalty in making us retain our loyalty with future purchases.
    Good luck.........sooz
    gaberwokkysmom,

I recommend having the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership. Please keep me updated on your situation. If you have any other concerns or problems, please feel free to email me.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • ericanwvericanwv Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Envoy that has done the same thing to me the other day....I was driving down the road and nothing was wrong then it shut off....what is happening to these vehicles?
  • rockwell3rockwell3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 GMC Envoy. I love my vehicle but this happened to me yesterday and my steering wheel went stiff and I couldn't coast to the side of the road. I had to wait in the middle of the road for a tow truck and then they put it on the machine and it said something about a mapping and toggle something I dont even have a navigation system. When I went back to check on my vehicle at the shop, it was closing time and they only guy their just threw me my keys and told me I was ready to go and to come back and pay tomorrow. When I called back up there, they told me that I didn't owe anything that it started right up and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Weird and my cruise control works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.
    rockwell3,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance. To get the case set up, I will need the VIN, current mileage, contact information including a number and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
  • stacy21stacy21 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 2003 Envoy for about 7 years and have dumped hundred and hundred of dollars fixing the multitude of issues... The truck almost killed me and my children with its faulty fuel tank issue!! I had gas leaking terrible out of the the tank, GM fixed it under a recall but still!
    I have had electrical issues, air conditioning issues, everything you could imagine and now today, ignition cylinder for $300 !!!! My key wouldnt turn to start the car!!! not to mention my entire instrument cluster doesnt work.. I have no idea how fast I am going or what my rpm's are at or if my water is too hot cause none of the gauges work and they want $700 for that to be fixed !!!! I truly hate all the issues with this truck!!!!
  • amymike36amymike36 Member Posts: 5
    We bought the Envoy 2 years ago. It had everything I wanted. But it has been one thing after another. We have had the air conditioning looked at, the brakes and now I am having trouble with the gas gauge. I just had my car in the get the grill replaced and condensor due to hitting a bird. The air on the drivers side will not cool, so I took it back. They have checked everything and it is in the control. We have had this looked at before so I am hoping they cover it. The gas gauge one day decides to work and the next it does not. My husband is about over the edge with this car.
    amymike36,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    It is at the dealer today getting looked at. I do not have the information on my right now but will get it to you tonight.
    amymike36,

Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership regarding the vehicle. Look forward to getting your email.

Thank you,
    Now they are saying leak in the a/c line under the fuel tank. Could cost $500 on up depending on if line needs replaced or repaired. This is crazy.
    Vin# 1GKET16SX56167700. I have never had a car with this many problems.
    At this point I almost want to trade it in. I love the way it drives and the room but to keep taking it in and having problems is not good. I have not heard from my husband yet so not sure what the total on this ones going to be. He might tell them forget it and we will go trade it in for something else.