Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram 2007.5 and newer Diesel Emissions Concerns

bigal8871bigal8871 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Dodge
I just got a 2008 3500 with the 6.7 turbo diesel 6 speed auto and I am having problems with the new emissions system I do alot of very slow driving at times and the build up is killing me the dealer says it is the way it is. The truck is awsome in all ways except that I cant go up in the mountains to hunt with it. any suggestions? I am a security guard and also I patrol the woods during hunting season. but with the new truck I cant go slow for lg periods of time.

Comments

• oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 29
    I ALSO HAVE A NEW 2007 6.7 DODGE DIESEL 2500. I'M ALSO HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW BLUTEC EMISSION SYSTEM. CHRONIC CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS. 7 CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS IN 6000 MILES. JUST GOT IT OUT OF THE SHOP TODAY AFTER 8 DAYS DOWN FOR A NEW TURBO CHARGER. THE EGR HAS BEEN CLEANED 3 TIMES. O2 SENSOR HAS BEEN REPLACED. PCM HAS BEEN REPROGRAMMED WHICH WAS UNDER A RECALL. VERY FRUSTRATING. THIS WAS GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD BUT AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED DODGE IS USING US AND OUR BLUTEC DIESELS AS TEST MULES. THEY DID NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK ON THIS ONE. I PETITIONED DODGE FOR A BUY BACK LAST WEEK AND THEY'RE SUPPOSED T LET ME KNOW THEIR INTENTIONS TOMORROW. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES.
    OLDTECH
  • rdvynckerdvyncke Member Posts: 1
    I bought this truck dec 22,07 after my 04 started using oil and had 250,000 miles and the 04 sick can still ran circles around this 08. I will be going 70 mph and she will down shift for no reason the rpms shouts up over 3500rpm . the truck will jerk and shake from it. and then has no power to get the speed back up. And engaging from park to drive/ reserve there is this loud knucking noise and every dodge dealer I take it too when they first heard they said that is not normal and when they get back from a test drive and they feel the down shift they say that is not normal but then they call diamler chrysler and they come back out and they that is normal operating procedure for the truck. I am not dumb and this is not my first truck I know it is not normal and i too feel like they are using us as testing mules which is wrong we ran a business and I need this truck to ran and ran right and safe which it does not. I too have requested a buyback and since off for the lemon law. And the way they treated me I will probably not buy another one this is it I have bought 4 dodge since may of 04 but no more.
  • oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 29
    I HAVEN'T HAD ANY TRANSMISSION CONCERNS WITH MY 2007 DIESEL. MY TRANSMISSION WORKS PERFECT. IT SHIFTS JUST AS GOOD AS ANY GAS POWERED TRUCK I'VE OWNED. THE ONLY PROBLEM I'VE HAD IS THAT DAD BLAMED CHECK ENGINE LIGHT. I STILL PLAN TO STICK WITH DODGE BUT I WILL GO BACK TO A GAS ENGINE UNTIL THEY GET THIS NEW BLUTEC EMISSIONS SYSTEM WORKING RIGHT. IT'S NOT JUST DODGE HAVING THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE FRIENDS WITH NEW CHEVY'S AND FORDS WITH SIMILAR DIESEL EMISSIONS SYSTEMS AND THEY TOO ARE HAVING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT PROBLEMS. I JUST DON'T BELIEVE THESE DIESEL ENGINES CAN RUN AS CLEAN AS THE MANUFACTURERS WANT THEM TO. I WISH YOU THE BEST ON YOUR BUY BACK AND I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW MINE GOES
  • kawasakikawasaki Member Posts: 1
    I had a 2007 6.7, only 4,800 miles it was in the shop 11 times for engine light, I lemon lawed it.Stupid me I buy another, 2008 6.7 and at 700 miles the lights on again! Looks like there going to buy back another one, this time they only get 3 chances ti fix it. Looking like its HEMI time. Ps my 2005 5.9 is problem free.
  • ironglenironglen Member Posts: 5
    I test drove a used 2007.5 this weekend and the catalyst 80% full was lit on the overhead display. Is this what you guys are refering to? The owners manual stated that it would need servicing if this occurred. I really liked the truck as it was clean and was priced 2-3 grand less than TMV, but from what you guys have said, I should stay the heck away from it.

So, I am getting from all of you (esp. oldtech) is that the bluetech works properly only during constant cruising, but not in traffic, idling conditions. Sounds like a gamble, plus I saw that the 5.9L CTD is better on fuel. So, I should look for an nice older CTD, right?

Finally, what were the end results for all of you guys with the buybacks?
  • jojoboyjojoboy Member Posts: 1
    My 08 6.7 experienced the same issues you have outlined with the emissions light. Started at 17000 miles and was sent to dealer a number of times. They replaced turbo and several updated Oxygen sensors and TAB's. After about 15 trips to dealer in span of 6 to 8 months they finally corrected issue. Truck now has about 47000 and has not had any other issues. Item 1: Stay on their case. If you drive out and light comes on in 100 miles take it back. Do not wait. Thru persistance and an exceptional dealer and service manager we fixed mine. I think Chrysler has finally figured out most of the bugs in this system because I believe they used mine as the test bed, but they did it. Vehicle never quit or ran bad during any of this time and dealer picked up the tab for rentals each time. Compared to my 04 5.9 I was disappointed in the new truck regarding this issue but other than that it has been absolutely perfect and continues to be in every way. I cannot tell you how impressed I am with the Cummings engines and the Dodge products. It runs great and gets good mileage for this size truck. I am hearing the Ford is having some of the same issues with their new diesel emissions. You can thank the government for forcing these guys to add this new emissions to meet clean air standards. At least we don't have to put pee in our engines like Mercedes at $1000.00 per 10,000 miles.
  • danielamosdanielamos Member Posts: 2
    Do you have any idea what they finally got to fix it. I am having to bring it in for a desoot every 500 miles. But I guess thats cause I spend a lot of time in traffic. Its just getting on my nerves.
  • mckenzie101mckenzie101 Member Posts: 12
    I now have over 67,500 miles. When the odometer rolled over 67,500 the perform service message displayed on the overhead monitor. The owners manual says to take it to the Dealer and have the EGR valve and cooler cleaned and the catalyst checked. All the Dealer did was cleared the message and told me everything was fine. They didn't clean a thing! Has anyone had this done? The owners manual says that the perform service message is designed to come on automatically at 67,500 miles.
  • dvaldesdvaldes Member Posts: 1
    jojoboy I'm not the type not to believe some but I have an 07 and it's been back and forth to the dealer lithia doge here in corpus christi tx they've replaced the whole system once and now I'm having the same problems now and their blaming it on bad fuel and I don't believe they've figured it out only how to stick to the cunsumer :mad:
  • amazon123amazon123 Member Posts: 2
    Fords and chevys have a fluid injection system that has to be maintained and refilled at a cost of 1500 big ones to keep dpf and egr problems at bay. Dodge sucks! I am on my 3rd turbo, egr, exhaust valve sensor, ox sensor, DPF filters. on and on. I am pursuing a Lemon law on my 50k piece of s%^& made and manufactured in Mexico.
  • amazon123amazon123 Member Posts: 2
    Up date on previous post. I have an attorney for my Lemon truck and I am planning to be a really difficult customer. Dodge has made a lemon vehicle and I will pursue a Federal lawsuit. The last time I had truck in shop Dodge blamed me the customer, for causing their emission trouble. They said my driving habits were to blame for their 6.7 lemon problems. I had a perfect 2005 5.9 quad that I traded in and my driving habits haven't changed. Dodge just made a 6.7 lemon motor lemon. :sick: :sick: :sick:
This discussion has been closed.