Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Broken Crank Sensor

wvownerwvowner Member Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Hyundai
Had timing belt replaced at 60,000 miles.

Now has 98,000 miles and the sensor crank broke off and caused $2300.00 worth of damage.

Dealer said not under power train warranty and will not help on any reduction in pricing.

Anyone else ever had this problem.

Dealer has never seen this problem before.

Comments

• somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    had any work done where a tech might have damaged it and tried to hide it?
  • wvownerwvowner Member Posts: 4
    We know the crank sensor is in the timing belt area. We suggested this to the dealer. They say they didn't do anything to the crank sensor. All repairs have been done by the dealer.

We called the manufacturer yesterday to try to get some assistance on the bill. Maybe they would reduce the amount of the bill due to them never seeing this happen before but they refused. Said nothing they could do.

We are now looking at a new Toyota 4Runner.
    you should sue - there is no outside force that could physically break the crank sensor - is it just not working or physically broken? maybe a closer look could show some type of glue or silicone present proving that someone broke it while doing the other work and tried to cover it up...
    The crank sensor is physically broken. We ask to see the sensor and they only showed us a very small piece that had fallen off.

I don't think we would have the money to hire an attorney and drag this out.

We have decided to have a used engine with 22,000 miles put in the car and keep it at another garage but we are looking at purchasing a 2008 4Runner.

We will never buy another car from Joe Holland in Charleston WV.

The service man (Jayson) who was assigned to us was always rude and his service manager wasn't any more help than he was.

We have still not heard from the manufacturer and we have called them twice. No return calls.

Thanks for your help.
    wow - i would do the small claims court thing - or maybe get one of those offers of help from the news - to make it a public humiliation for their facility - better business bureau wouldn't hurt either...
  • edmac1edmac1 Member Posts: 36
    The crank sensor is part of the drive train. How long is your warranty?
    They said if it was part of the drive train it would have been covered. The thing is they say it is NOT part of the drive train. How can you argue with the manufacturer? I don't have the money to sue for this.
    put them on the news - make it public - that's usually uncomfortable for them....
  • chiwlfchiwlf Member Posts: 6
    The issue here is the description of the crank sensor itself as compared to what is considered a "Powertrain" component. The simplest way to describe this is that a "Powertrain Component" covered under the powertrain warranty is a lubricated moving part that sends power to the drive wheels. On a Hyundai this pretty much covers all "Non Electronic" parts from wheel to wheel as long as there is a drive axle attached. In other words on a front wheel drive only vehicle the front wheel bearings are a powertrain part but not the rears. The crank Sensor is a non moving, non lubricated electronic sensor that has a 5/60 warranty. I assume that this is a 2.4 4 cyl and when it broke it took out the tone wheel and timing belt and grenaded the engine when the valves kissed the pistons. What you need to understand that the dealer does not make up the warranty policies and procedures, the manufacturer does and if the failed part isn't covered the damage caused isn't either.
    I hope this clarifies the powertrain issue a little.
  • surfer6surfer6 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the crank shaft sensor is located on the Sante Fe 02?
    I have replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the problem, but not. Test drove and the car died, got it started and drove it home. Now it will not start at all.
  • imanikristinaimanikristina Member Posts: 6
    Good Afternoon,

At this very moment, my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe is being repaired at the local Hyundai dealership.

On Tuesday nite, my Santa Fe started stalling - on a busy street - and then stopped when the engine light came on. After over an hour, roadside service arrived and gave me a "jump". After turning on my lights, high beam and the air conditioner, he said there was nothing "major" wrong with my vehicle; neither the battery nor the altenator were the problem. After letting it run for a few minutes, I attempted to drive home. Less than 2 miles later, it stopped again. Again, I let it run for 10-15 minutes and drove the last 2 miles home.

The next morning it was towed to the dealer. Their assessment: "Battery testing bad. Charging system tested fine. Replaced battery and retested system. Condition corrected." I agreed to have the battery replaced based on this assessment - although the roadside service said there was no problem with my battery, since I had 55,700 miles on my vehicle.

I purchased 4 new tires in August and did not get a front-end alignment. Therefore, I told them to do a front-end alignment as well.

When I got my bill, I was being charged for a "4-wheel alignment" rather than a front-end alignment. The service department person told me each of these procedures cost the same. Again, what did I ask for? What did I receive?

I paid my bill and fewer than 2 miles later, my vehicle stopped - on the expressway!! I immediately phoned the dealer and made him aware of the magnitude of my discontent. They sent a tow truck - over an hour later. They loaned me a 2008 Santa Fe and reminded me that I was responsible for the gas. I received a call yesterday afternoon and, after running additional test, it was determined that that the Crank Sensor went bad. It is covered under the 5/60. I'll pick it up later this afternoon. Let us not talk about how I really, really feel about my experience...

ImaniKristina (ichessmom2@aol.com)
  • klaidlawklaidlaw Member Posts: 1
    I've just retrieved my 2003 4 Cylinder Santa Fe, having broken down on the side of Canada's busiest highway (the 401) TWICE in the past three months with a faulty crank shaft sensor. Even my mechanic feels sorry for me! I've read that the 2001 V6 Santa Fe's had a crank shaft sensor recall - I'm beginning to think it shouldn't have stopped there!
    Good Evening,

While the service department manager was assessing my vehicle - the first time -, he noticed that 2 of the 3 brake lights were out. He said they could replace them for $25.00. I said thank you, but no thanks.

After reading my manual, I went to Wal-Mart's automotive section and purchased a 2-bulb pack of 27 watt combination bulbs. The total price - $1.96!! In my garage last Saturday nite, armed with my electric screw driver as well as a manual philips screwdriver, I changed both bulbs within 45 minutes. It is truly amazing what these people try to get away with and no one holds them accountable. Perhaps a letter to the corporate headquarters - along with my receipt would make a difference...

ImaniKristina (ichessmom2@bellsouth.net)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and no one holds them accountable

You just did. Way to go! :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • novnognovnog Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get any satisfaction from Hyundai? I have the same problem. 2003 Santa Fe 2.4L with 65,000 miles. Crankshaft angle sensor broke, and pieces caused timing belt to jam and snap.
    Good Afternoon,

Fortunately, my 2004 Santa Fe was still under warranty. They fixed it at no cost to me.

Kind regards,
    Loretta
  • stushstush Member Posts: 62
    Just wondering what some of the symptoms of having a crank sensor going bad. I have an 02 with the 2.7 V6. Anybody.
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    When the crank sencer fails, the engine timing moves to "top dead center" (de-falt mode) to protect the engine. It runs, but lacks power.
  • ziggy22ziggy22 Member Posts: 1
    This week my '04 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 died on me. My vehicle only has 42k miles on it. I was told that they replaced the CRANK SENSOR and Blade. Confused, they told me the 380.00 for that was the same as replacing the TIMING BELT that I was charged an additional 340.00 for (are these the same parts?). Along with the timing belt they said they had to replace the BELT-VALVE, V-RIBBED BELT, and BELT-"V" something adding 178.01 to the bill for the belts. They told me the problem that started this event was the CANISTER CLOSED VALVE and CHARCHOL CANISTER charging me 327.00. I walked out leaving them $1,135.82. Anyone have any advice or experience with this. Of course, I'm 4 months out of warranty.
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    If it took you 45 minutes and the dealer was only going to charge you $23.00 labor....what are you crying about?

You think maybe they should work for free?

Do you?
  • espo35espo35 Member Posts: 144
    If they had damaged the sensor, your car would've gone zero miles....let alone 38,000 of them.

The light bulb in my living room worked GREAT last week.

Now, after a guy came in to clean the drapes....IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL!!!!

I should sue.
  • ivanc420ivanc420 Member Posts: 1
    If you work on the crank like me, dont be surprised if you break the crank-angle sensor that hides behind the belt. My truck turned off, i did the crank kit,it turnred on and worked great for three days. Later it turned off abruptly, and it was the crank sensor. I know its about $100 but you need someone who knows to double and triple check before buying the part(crank sensor). I bought the sensor and it turned on and it has been running since motor-wise. It breaks even though you dont touch it when you work around the belt or crank, dont act surprised if it tuurns off(when you work around the turning bel area). It happened to me for not checking the oil so could happen happen to you for other reasons. Be careful around the crank sensor and you will avoid problems.
    Please re-read my note...

I went to Wal-Mart's automotive section and purchased a 2-bulb pack of 27 watt combination bulbs. The total price - $1.96!!

In my garage last Saturday nite, I changed both bulbs within 45 minutes.

Admittedly, everything has its price. However, I paid less than $2.00 for the bulbs as opposed to paying the dealer $25.00!
    Good Evening
    I will begin my conversation by saying this is my 4th and final Hyundai!

On 10/28 I attempted to have my oil changed at Monro Muffler & Brake Service. They've done work for me before so I trusted them when they told me (and showed me) that the Crankshaft Pulley was wobbling and it appears that it could fall off. They recommended that I not drive my vehicle. Armed with this info, I phoned the Hyundai Dealership that replaced the Catalytic Converter in May, as well as the Crankshaft Sensor in 2008 I spoke about previously. They concurred with Monro Muffler and suggested I have my vehicle towed to them.

I went home and phoned Hyundai Motor America in CA and they confirmed that this problem was covered under their 10/10,000 Mile Powertrain Warranty. They scheduled an appointment for me, the original owner, for the next morning.

The next morning, I phoned the Dealership to confirm my appointment and drove my Hyundai Santa Fe to them. They refused to honor the warranty because I did not have a current vehicle registration. I did, however, have a current NC Driver's License and a current State Farm Insurance Card. Hyundai Motor America confirmed via telephone that I was the original owner. State Farm confirmed, via telephone, that I was the current owner. Again, they refused to honor the warranty. The warranty reads as follows: "You must, upon request, provide documentation to prove ownership when necessary".

After extensive conversations with management, I left my vehicle there in order to make a business appointment. This required renting a vehicle. I rented a vehicle, made my appointment and called them back later for a response from higher management. Again, they refused to honor the warranty. When I told them I was returning the next day to retrieve my vehicle, the manager asked if we could "work something out". He said he didn't want me to drive the vehicle and would charge me $400+ to repair it. I told him to either repair consistent with the terms and conditions of the warranty, or have it ready for me to pick up the next day.

Long story short, I returned the rental car the next day, picked up my vehicle and drove it home. It was repaired by a private mechanic on that Monday for nearly $300. Including the cost of the rental, I paid nearly $350.00!!!!!! OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Never, never, never again...

ImaniKristina
    Raleigh, NC
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2010
    I'd take it up with my local consumer protection agency or the Federal Trade Commission. Someone in Burr's or Hagan's office could probably tell you who to contact.
    I would sue. Companies always count on people not following thru on their principles - the problem you have seems to be more with the particular dealer than Hyundai itself. Not sure if you had many problems with the car - but lodging a complaint with Hyundai should have gotten you in the door... they should not have refused to honor the warranty. Carfax could have even confirmed ownership. Another dealer would have probably honored the warranty. matter of fact - Hyundai probably would have advised you on where to go... anyway - sue for the money you spent on repair and tow - small claims court - you might not even need a lawyer but get one anyway and sue for the cost of that too...
    Good Evening,

This matter is now in the hands of the NC Attorney General. I can also take this matter to Small Claims Court and file a Breach of Warranty action against them.

Kind regards,
    ImaniKristina
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2010
    Now Nissan is getting into the act and being rude about proof of ownership from one of their owners with a warranty claim.

blastlane, "Nissan Pathfinder Transmission Questions" #574, 30 Nov 2010 8:23 am

I haven't seen anything about dealers getting ripped off by fake warranty claims so I have to wonder if the automakers are trying to make life miserable for people by requiring them to jump through a bunch of hoops just to collect on what they paid for. I don't know if it's deserved or not, but Hyundai has a bit of a reputation for denying warranty claims on technicalities; I guess Nissan is trying to join that club too.
This discussion has been closed.