Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

124»

Comments

• smithjssmithjs Member Posts: 7
    I have a question. I just purchased a 2010 Camry SE and every time a turn the car on and move a couple feet I hear a noise (sometime more pronounced than others) it is louder when the car has sat for a while). The sound occurs when you move a couple of feet and the car hits between 7 and 11 mph. The service tech says it is normal. Over the weekend, I test drove several Camry's (LE's XLE's and SEs) none of the cars I test drove over the weekend made the noise. Than on Monday, after talking to the service tech about the noise - I decided to test drive one more car - found the same exact model on the lot - the Camry SE made a similar noise. Is this really normal??
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Read the owners manual, there's a section where it describes a self test that the ABS Braking system is doing, and to expect the noise. After a couple months, you won't hear it.
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    hey ucdebb,

I took my Camry in a few times for that garnish and just gave up. Out of the millions of Camrys on the road I have to be satisfied with one which has the same level of QC as an 80s era GM :| Mine is just like the way you've described yours.

There is no fix. Simply put the dashboard and the garnish do not line up. Depending on how much skill (or effort they're willing to use) the technician has you'll end up with something that's not as noticeable to something horribly ugly.

My AC fan has a rattle, my driver's side seat belt squeaks and rattles..this isn't why I paid a premium for the toyota logo :( Oh well my next car will probably be a Honda or possibly even a GM. My experiment with Toyota has been a disappointment (no offense to fans of the brand. I realize that every car maker has their share of people who nit pick at issues).
  • ucdebbucdebb Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply and update. Today I called the Toyota Customer Service @ 1-800-331-4331 about this problem. They assigned a customer case mgr. to my case and should hear from the case mgr. in the next 24 hrs. Keep your fingers crossed they have an answer!
  • camryatlantacamryatlanta Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately my 2009 Camry, which was made in August 2008, still has this problem. The car slows down quickly after I release the gas pedal. However there is a “tipping point” where the strong engine brake disappears. The “tipping point” is 30mph if I release the pedal when the speed is over 40mph or 20mph when the speed is between 30mph and 40mph. After a jerk at the “tipping point” you can feel the car coasting free now.
  • mmcgui02mmcgui02 Member Posts: 2
    Just got a call from my mechanic...my car went in for some standard servicing and he discovered my water pump is seeping coolant, have lost 50%. So it needs to be replaced along with the thermostat. He hasn't seen a large number of failures at this mileage, but it did not shock him either.

My mileage puts me over standard warranty and I didn't go for extended warranty for a few reasons, one being Toyota's quality and my history with past cars. I was definitely spoiled by my 1999 Lexus SUV which didn't incur any significant repair costs until it was well over 150k...just a heads up for Camry owners...something to potentially watch for.
  • mechinc1mechinc1 Member Posts: 15
    It could be a rust build up on your brake rotors?
    When you park your car the brakes will be warmer than ambient temps. When they cool down you will get condensation and then getting a rust imprint of your brake pads on your brake rotors. Does the noise go away when you apply your brakes a few times?
  • tony108tony108 Member Posts: 16
    Hello mmcqui02,

Check with your warranty booklet. I think the water pump is covered under the powertrain warranty which is up to 60k miles and/or 60 months. You might get a refund if you already had it repaired somewhere else.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Yes, the "fuel cut" procedure to extend FE requires that the transaxle downshift again and again as the car slows, otherwise with no fuel to keep it running the engine would stall. But with FWD or F/awd vehicle there is a potential danger in allowing too much engine compression braking at low speeds. So what actually happens is that below a ceratin speed, low speed, the transaxle will actually now upshift to prevent ANY engine compression braking.

"slingshot effect" or, being bumped from behind, feeling, results.

Then unless you apply pressure to the gas pedal shortly before coming to a full stop the transaxle will delay the shift into 1st until the car has come to a full and complete stop.

Strange new world....
  • wendy67wendy67 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with the waterpump; however, I have 70k miles on my 2008. I was hearing a rattling and the Toyota dealership said the waterpump and drive belt both had to be replaced at a cost of $400. My Camry is past the warranty as well and I did not purchase the extended warranty either. I have had nothing but problems with this car and am beginning to think it is a lemon. I had to have 2 wheel bearings replaced before the car had 36k miles on it, which thankfully was covered under the warranty. Now the waterpump and drivebelt. I am about ready to trade it in on a Honda.
  • mmcgui02mmcgui02 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2010
    I had the waterpump problem around 60K miles, and now I need to replace my struts as they have a leak and I am just around 66K miles...this will cost $700. Very disappointed in my 2008 Camry. My 2000 Lexus RX300 didn't cost me anything besides oil changes and tires until it hit 100K. Because I need to transport 4 elder relatives, it became very important to have a sedan. I rue the day I decided to go with this Camry.
  • macg4geniusmacg4genius Member Posts: 7
    Yes, My CD player had gone beserk and display was displaying something strange and sound was going off. I asked dealer to replace it, They checked and ordered new one. for 2 1/2 months did not get the new player as they said it has to come from factory. I got tired and called Toyota CS and complained. Went to other dealer and they received in 4 days and got it fixed in 7 days. It's been working for a year now.
    I took my 08 Camry to dealer 3 times and last time they kept for 2 days but could not figure out problem. While driving light on, instrument light goes off and comes back on. Now problem worsen and radio light goes off completely. Dealer told me that it happens as I must be driving in Auto mode which is not true. My Warranty is about to go off in September and they have not fixed the problem. Toyota CS told me that if dealer could not see problem means there is no solution. I must to to state for lemon's law for arbitration. This is rediculous Factory should have solution to guide if dealer does not have clue about car problem. It is giving me feeling that Toyota has stopped caring for customers.
    Take a video of your lights dimming
  • kendrakkendrak Member Posts: 1
    So I too just got a call from my mechanic informing me that my water pump has gone out and leaked coolant all over the crank sensor which also needs to be replaced. NICE. You would think at 35k miles there would not be a single problem being that my 05 Corolla XRS has only required routine maintenance with over 150k miles. I have also experienced the brake issue and internal display problem and my car again only has 35k miles~ Please post any standard warranty information as my car is still in the shop and I need to decide if I should tow it to the dealership instead.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The bumper-to-bumper warranty is 36 months, or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. The powertrain warranty, which I think would cover the crank sensor, is 60 months or 60,000 miles.
    I believe a call to the dealership, would confirm that a tow to the dealership would be the cheapest best fix for this.
  • southbay2southbay2 Member Posts: 2
  • southbay2southbay2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 camry. A couple of weeks ago the keyless entry doesnt work. I tried using another keyless transmitter (never used after I bought the car) but it still doesnt work. Sometimes but rarely it does work which means that I can open the door with the keyless remote transmitter.

so is this the problem of the keyless receiver? can I fix it DIY? thanks!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    An "upselling" mechanic is more, most likely your problem.

Water pump seals ALWAYS "seep", but even if an actual failure it would be hard for coolant to compromise the crank position sensor, acid maybe.
  • ryanj27ryanj27 Member Posts: 1
    This has happened twice now, but it's something that is getting me worried. When I go to start my car, it just makes a sound that's like it normally starting only repeating and then going away for a second then coming on. like ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-chhhhhh-on. (sorry about that description, I don't know how else to describe it). I thought it might be the battery, but wouldn't the battery light be on? The maintenance required light has been on for a few weeks, but it usually just means I need to change the oil, but I just got the oil changed a few days ago and it's still on. an the check engine light will come on and off randomly. I don't know if that's linked to the start up problem, but when I take it in to get looked at, I want to know what I should have them look for. any ideas about the starting issue? Thanks!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Could be the battery - is it still the original?

Whoever changed your oil forgot to reset the maintenace required light - if you want to do it yourself, your owner's manual tells you how - VERY easy.

Check engine light - you need to get the codes read (Advanced Auto does for free). Typically, it is an emissions problem or fuel cap loose or fuel cap gasket not sealing. Nothing really serious, unless you have to have your emissions checked for getting your car registration, because then you cannot have a check engine light on.
  • ahwuyenahwuyen Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    I had been using camry 07 for sometime now. few days ago I discovered while on motion that the throttle stop responding and the immediately the check engine light was on. I removed my battery and put it back. the car was back to normal but after sometime i.e. about 20 miles driving the check engine light was on a few miles after that the throttle stop responding on motion. can anyone help me.
  • ahwuyenahwuyen Member Posts: 2
    I had been using camry 07 for sometime now. few days ago I discovered while on motion that the throttle stop responding and the immediately the check engine light was on. I removed my battery and put it back. the car was back to normal but after sometime i.e. about 20 miles driving the check engine light was on a few miles after that the throttle stop responding on motion. can anyone help me.
  • coontie66coontie66 Member Posts: 110
    I have an interesting problem. The wind shield visors just droop down infront of your face. Toyota wants $400 to replace both. This is a safety issue. Is there a way to just tighten them?
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    I have the same problem in my 09. the driver's visor no longer snaps back and sits flush with the ceiling. for me it's not as bad as yours, but still it's very annoying.
    My 2008 also has same problem. I talked to mechanic, he told me to buy new from delaer or used from junk yard. It is easy to replace taking plastic cover off Then unscrew screws and unplug wires. Put new in reverse order.
    I have got my radio replaced 3 times already in warranty.
  • maminamamina Member Posts: 1
    I am concern on the safety of this particular model.
    My son recently had an accident driver side and frontal impact where neither the driver side or the side air bags deployed; therefore, he sustained serious head and face injuries.
    We have owned toyotas for many years and are very pleased with their performance; however, in this particular time, it did not live up to the safety measures we expect.
    Does anyone else know of an incident similar to this one and if there is a recall on this model and year? I looked and couldn't find anything.
    Thanks!
    RMS
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    No recalls or TSBs. Many people in every make and model car have similar things happen (air bags do not deploy).
  • aikayaikay Member Posts: 1
    I have used this car for slightly over four years now, a 1999 model toyota camry, however I becoming more alarmed now because of the fuel consumption, it uses 59 liters of fuel to cover just about 70kilometer distance, that is about 45 mpg within the city. what could possibly be the problem with the fuel consumption, it is outrageous!
  • jenn9039jenn9039 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    So last night I parked my car and went to turn it off like a normal person would and I couldn't do it. The stopped once click shy of turning off and it wouldn't turn anymore. The engine shut off fine but the radio continued to play and the interior lights were on then went out. I turned the car back on, which went fine, but the same thing happened when I went to turn it off again. I turned the car back on, backed up a little, then moved forward, put it into park and again the key wouldn't turn into that last click to shut everything off. I called my friend out, he tried everything I did, it didn't work for him either. I asked him to take the car around the block, park it again and see if that would work. This time it did. It hasn't happened again since last night but is this something I should be worried about?
  • camry4markcamry4mark Member Posts: 2
    Do you mean the backlighting or the actual instruments appear to stop working? There is a problem surfacing in some 07 and 08 Camry's that make the instruments act up inculding speedometer, tach, and warning lights. If your AC compressor also cuts off look to a problem in the CAN network. Most always the ABS pump and module. Post back with details. There is a lower cost fix.
  • ybanerdybanerd Member Posts: 1
    This is now a recall issue for the Camry. Contact your nerest Toyota Dealer to have it fixed for FREE.
    Yes I mean back lighting and headlights of the car including radio/CD player. I took it to dealers 4 times and has not been fixed yet(While under warranty and out of warranty).
  • tcnich89tcnich89 Member Posts: 1
    My power outlets (cigarette outlets) stopped working. I don't believe it is the smaller fuses. Any ideas??
  • yourmechanicyourmechanic Member Posts: 17
    If it's not the fuses then you may have overloaded the power outlet and burned it out.
  • mtillismtillis Member Posts: 1
    [macg4genius] my 2008 Camry is doing exactly what you described. My ABS light/ brake light/ RPM/ temp guage/ speedometer and odometer won't work on the instrument panel. Whenever those lights come on my a/c stops blowing cold, the speedometer goes to 0, the RPM and temp guage will fluctuate just a hair. So, you're saying that it's the CAN network. Is this costly. I see where you've said there is a lower cost fix. Can you please advise?
  • nb_packnb_pack Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2008 Camry Hybrid. Recently was having problems with the drivers door locking via the keyfob. Figured out it was the door actuator finally and have bought and replaced that and it works great. But somehow in doing that and testing and having to use the manual key so much that now the manual key doesn't work. I push the button on the handle and it does nothing(it used to lock the doors). I put the manual key in and turn it and it does nothing. Doesn't feel like its turning the lock or anything. I'm wondering if I've screwed that up and need a new door handle/lock assembly now too or if it's just something I've accidentally disconnected when I changed out the actuator. I can't find anything I unhooked but I could be wrong. Any help is appreciated.