Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Toyota Camry Problems and Repairs

taogantaogan Member Posts: 3
edited September 2017 in Toyota
my girl friend's camry got this wierd vibration around 40miles/h especially go up on hill. Does anyone have the same experience? How we should decribe this to dealer? Take him for a ride?

Please help

Comments

• adamw812adamw812 Member Posts: 32
    Try shifting the transmission out of "D" to 4 and see if that makes a difference
  • joegojoego Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. The symptom goes away if I shift from "D" to 4th gear, making the car drop out of 5th gear. Toyota service said is was due to the software programming in the engine computer (ECU), that manages the shifting and engine speed. Toyota is aware of it but has no solution.

That's bull. This problem is either a design defect or some subtle problem Toyota does not want to acknowledge, like the transmission hesitation problem. I not accepting Toyota's response that I have to work around the problem until it gets resolved. You shouldn't either...... Good luck
  • joel16joel16 Member Posts: 64
    This happens to me every once in awhile. The way I would describe it is it's like driving over the washboard slits on the side of some highways, or in front of some toll booths. It's not quite as jarring, but a vibration or low rumble.
  • dricharddrichard Member Posts: 7
    I've just bought a 2008 Camry LE demo model with 8000km (~5000 miles) had it for a week and noticed the same thing; at first I thought it was the road surface since it happened to me twice on the same hill.

But since then I've been able to reproduce the same thing "taogan" describes over and over at the exact same speed he says (60-65km/h) on many different hills. It seems to happen when goin up a slight incline and accelerating slowly in the 1300-1500 RPM range. When I shift from "D" to 4th, I've been unable to cause it to happen.

For me the vibration is felt through the seat and floor, it doesn't seem to be felt through the steering wheel; are you guys experiencing the same?

I've found this online: "Toyota's transmission adds computer logic: The Camry ''knows'' when it is going up hill or down hill, and the transmission shifts gears accordingly. It can hold a lower gear longer when necessary to avoid the annoying shifting up and down that occurs in some automatics. Though it offers a manual-shift feature, we found it best to leave it in Drive as its performance is a bit mushy." ------ http://autos.aol.com/cars-Toyota-Camry+Solara-2008/expert-review

Whatever they've done, I'm not impressed; I'm going to the dealer with this information tomorrow, and will keep you all posted.
  • slhefnerslhefner Member Posts: 2
    I bought my camry in Dec 07 and have had the same exact problems with the vibrations around 40 mph just like everyone else has posted. Mine not only does this on hills but also in curves and flat surfaces. After 2 different trips to the Toyota dealership where I purchased they told me there was nothing wrong with my car and that they would have to have me take the tech for a test drive....did that and he felt the problem. He said his inital thought was the torque convertor. So my car is currently in the shop where they are waiting on a go ahead from Toyota to replace the entire transmission. Once that's complete I'll let you know whether or not that solves the problem. Hopefully so, this is my first Toyota and I love the space in the car but honestly coming from someone that owned a Honda to begin with - this kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth for Toyota.
    On another subject - before my car went in the shop on Monday of this week - over the weekend my husband was driving the car and had problems with the cd player giving an error 3 message. I immediately called the service department on Saturday to alert them of that problem also. The tech told me that they had several bad radios and that they would replace my radio with a brand new one also when I dropped my car off this week.
    So all in all - a new transmission & a new radio on a brand new 2008 4 cyl camry.
  • marine2marine2 Member Posts: 1,155
    It's probably the engine straining to keep the speed up. The tranny should automatically shift to a lower gear and not have that vibration. I guess it's not designed to do that and requires you to shift manually.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    lawsora...Would have been usefull if you had the salesman note the fact that the transmission problems were no longer a problem on your paperwork. You would have had a stronger possition at this time.
  • lawsoralawsora Member Posts: 3
    My wife's new Camry is also having the 40 MPH vibration problem. Took it to the dealer this weekend and they kept it until today. They said that is is a problem that Toyota knows about and is working on a software solution. They said it was ready to be picked up and that the vibration would not hurt the car. I told them that when Ipurchased the car, I had been reading about Camry transmission problems and asked them if they were corrected, and the salesman said yes. I told them that I consider this to be a problem that would severely affect the value of the car and as such it would be covered under the Lemon Law if not corrected. I intend to keep bugging them and taking it back until fixed or until they have had 3 chances to fix, and then enact the Lemon Law if not fixed. I didn't pay $28K for a car to have it run like this.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Lawsora,

What model do you have, which has this vibration?

A 4cylinder vehicle for 28K?.....or are you saying that you have a V6 engine which also has a vibration?
  • carguy65carguy65 Member Posts: 24
    I just picked up an 08 and it's an XLEV6, I had a bad experience with on 07, all of the tranny problems related to 07's.

So far everything is a OK. I did have an issue with the blue-tooth set up but found I was speaking to loud and over modulating when I spoke in a normal or lower voice I had no problem, I thought this might help others.

I had back up sensors but in my rear bumper and there black car is silver, anyone know if these can be painted?
    2008 Camry XLE 4 Cylinder 2100 miles.

Was just told by the Service Manager that there is no fix at this time and they do not consider it to be a defect, and it will not harm the vehicle. They said it is shifting into overdrive too soon. I have worked on enough cars in my life to know that if it is shifting into overdrive too soon, that is putting a strain on the transmission which will eventually result in a failure.

I have contacted Toyota in California and have been assigned a case number.
    Paperwork did say that they called reginal office and per Jonny from Cincinati it is normal and that California is aware of the complaint.
  • bob08bob08 Member Posts: 2
    Bought a 2008 Camry about a month ago. Like the new look but that was short lived. Got the same problem with virbation/rumble around 40 mph. Dealer told me it's normal, there is nothing they can do about it and to call Toyota and complain. This is my forth and last Camry.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I can't say about Toyota, but on my wife's Mini Cooper that got rear-ended, it took an additional 3 weeks to get the correct color sensors from the plant in England. I asked about painting them, and I was told that a paint layer would distort the sensing ability, which makes sense if you think about how the sensors work.

So, I would guess the answer is NO. Having stated that, I don't understand why you can't get color-keyed sensors that match the paint color...makes nosense...
    Some after market sellers say they can be painted, I see them on Caddies etc, and there painted, I guess I will just live with the black, I noticed these are sold plastic which would stop the Ultrasonic sensor behind them?
    Like I said I will just live with it.

Thanks for your feed back Busiris
    Further it seems these Ultrasonic ones can be painted with two light coats of paint, I will try and pop them out but haven't found out how there held in there, one place said they were tapered to sort of jam in, as the bumper is ultra thin I am not sure I will keep you posted,
  • teeter1teeter1 Member Posts: 1
    have they found a way to fix this my dealer told me it was normal until i told them i run a repair shop and my ase cert. master tech noticed my trans shutter and then they said ok we will look .they called me a day later said nothings wrong happed as soon as i left :mad:
  • slhefnerslhefner Member Posts: 2
    Update:

Dealership kept my camry for a week. Toyota corp office told them not to replace the transmission. Toyota does not have a solution but does acknowledge the problem. I was told that Toyota will issue a recall once they know how to fix it. After picking up my car the service dept told me they had three other camry's come in during the week mine was there with the same exact problem.

On another note, they are replacing my radio as that was defective also. Everytime you play a cd (store bought) it quits playing in the middle of songs and says error, then good luck on getting it to eject. I'm still waiting on the radio to come in...
    Correct...you don't want them tearing out the transmission for this. They should be able to issue a TSB which reflashes the software and keep it in 4th gear longer, not letting it drop into 5th overdrive and lockup until the mph get above 50. If you ride around in 4th, you'll notice no problem or lugging at all. So just tweak the software to keep it out of 5th at low speeds......and problem goes away.
  • georgie2georgie2 Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of buying a 2008 Camry SE V6. The reviews seem to be mixed on transmission probs. Maybe 20% of posts say they have a trans problem vibration.

In reading Edmunds car reviews and Inside Line, the transmission related complaints with 2008 Camry are unclear whether these complaints affect the 2008 Camry 4 cyl, ONLY, or also affect the 6 cyl.

I am interested in the 6 cyl but do not want to buy a problematic car. Please advise, if you know. Thanks.
  • bob08bob08 Member Posts: 2
    My 08 Camry is a 4 cyl. The salesman has offered to trade me out and into to another vehical. I was thinking of going to a Camry SE V6. However I don't know if the V6 has the same type of trassmission problem. Can anyone help us?
  • ez2beme00ez2beme00 Member Posts: 14
    I have an 08 Camry SE 4cyl. and have tried to replicate this shift problem. I went up an incline at 35,40,45 mph and trans downshifted into 4th perfectly every time. I believe it has to do with how the trans software learns your driving style. My wife and I drive pretty aggresively, and the SE loves to be driven hard. We love the car,its as close to a BMW as you will get at this price,......plus it gets an honest 30 mpg its a great car.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    check out the hybrid.
    Thanks,Bob08,

The picture is still murky to me about the V6 transmission. My family now has a 2002 V6 and it has been a great car with essentially no problems, which is why I was attracted to the new "08 Camry, now offering an incentive rebate.

But, I will probably pass on buying this new 08 Camry as I am not going to take a chance on getting one with a problematic transmission. I looked at v6 Accord but its ride is notably rougher and maybe ~$1K higher price with comparable options.
  • dec426dec426 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 2008 Toyota Camry LE - AT - 4 Dr Sdn. I returned to the dealer
    who claimed to have reset the transmission computer memory. "Witnin the next
    100/200 miles the comuter will automatically adjust-- no more problem! Within
    the next 100 miles the problem was worse. I returned and my dealer contacted
    Toyota's Technical Service and was told that Toyota is aware of the problem. There
    is NO FIX available and Toyota is working on it. Maybe, Toyota, will in the future,
    issue a Technical Service Bulletin OR perhaps issue a Recall. "Do not bother to
    return with the same problem as we cannot do anything about it."
    I contacted Toyota Motor Car, USA in Torrence, California only to be assigned a case number and was again told "NO FIX IS AVAILABLE." I should check
    periodically to see if a TAC has been issued.
    I intend to file a request for arbitration under the state lemon laws.
    If you, or anyone you know, intends to purchase a NEW vehicle beware of reports
    on the internet that alledge 2007 - 2008 and 2009 Toyota Camry's may have this
    defect. "BUYER BEWARE"
  • rsantan1rsantan1 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2007 Camry SE V6 which I purchased in Aug/2006. I have not had transmissions issues but it definitely drives differently that any of my previous vehicles. I do not know if it's the drive by wire or the trans. One thing for sure is that the car is fast. It is not a fuel miser. So if you want 30mpg buy a different car. Also.......Drive the actual car you want to purchase. See if the Dealer will let you use it for the weekend.
    Thank you for the input on your '07 V6 Camry, which sounds positive. It may be that trans probs are only affecting the V4s. Yes, I agree test drives of the actual car are essential ... .just don't want a problem to occur 500 miles later.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    But be aware that a dealer can change some of the driving charactoristics of modern day vehicles by disconnecting the battery and thereby causing the system to revert back to the factory default parameters.

As the car is driven the engine/transaxle ECU "learns", and continuously relearns, the actual sensor tolerances and "correct" servomotor positions, etc.

And I am NOT speaking of driver style/type charactoristics which are ERASED each and every time you start the car.
  • smythesmythe Member Posts: 10
    Problem is that with modern cars, like "wwest" said, when the car is brand new, it may drive fine (as mine did), but as it filled its "sensor/actuator wear memory", it became undrivable (2007 4 cyl AT LE). After multiple software re-flashes, and finally a new ECU and a reflash of the new ECU, it drives correctly, but there was no way to detect this impending problem (very frustrating and dangerous) in the test drive. Also, as mentioned in the previous post, every time I'd take it to the dealer, they'd disconnect the batter for a while, and it would drive fine for a while, then revert to its old tricks. I wonder if the vibration might actually be just the same bad ECU software that came in my car letting it upshift to fifth and lock the torque converter too soon. Mine did that, thought I didn't notice any vibration other than that from the engine straining at extremely low RPM.

The TSB that describes the Engine/Xmission control ECU software is the successor to:

EG056-06 ECM CALIBRATION: ENHANCEMENT TO SHIFTING PERFORMANCE & SMOOTHNESS

Just look for the -07 one that replaced this one.

I can't help but wonder if Toyota is still selling Camrys with the old crappy ECU software in them because they don't want to have to redo their EPA mileage testing etc. So they just install when customers complain to avoid a recall/retest.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    "can't help but wonder if Toyota is still selling Camrys with the old crappy ECU software in them because they don't want to have to redo their EPA mileage testing etc. So they just install when customers complain to avoid a recall/retest. "

No, the new models have the new software. BTW, my '07 had the reprogram done, and it has been perfect ever since. It did not make any noticeable change to MPG.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Good Morning dec426:
    I own a 2007 Camry V6 XLE with 25,000 miles and I do not have any problems with this vehicle that are posted on these boards. My driving is done mostly on the highway between 55 and 70 mph and I get 30 mpg. I use 87 octane fuel (both name brand and off brand). The transmission shift very smooth and positive. Yes, is does drive differently because of the drive by wire system. When I want to pass a slow moving vehicle on the highway, I push slightly on the accelerator, the transmission downshifts and the vehicle accelerates. Once the "passing procedure has been completed", I back off slightly on the accelerator, and the transmission up-shifts! If I want "fast acceleration" I press HARD on the accelerator, and the vehicle moves forward in an aggressive manner.
    QUESTION:
    Could I be the only person who has a Cmary that operates properly?

Best regards. ------ Dwayne :shades: ;):)
    Thanks, Dwayne, that is positive info.

Indeed, there have been mixed reviews on the board regarding this issue. Yet, you have an '07. Maybe the '08 Camry V6 transmission has differences than the '07s?
    Apparently the driving procedure that gets drivers in "trouble" is as follows...

a] You are accelerating "lightly" with the transaxle in the proper lower gear ratio for the speed and level of acceleration you have "called" for.

b] You release the pressure on the gas pedal momentarily and the transaxle upshifts accordingly (in actuality, for our purposes, the transaxle "begins" the upshifting process).

c] Now, within milliseconds, you realize you need to accelerate again and depress the gas pedal back to the original position you were using earlier for slight acceleration.

Or here is yet another scenario...

a] You are coasting down to come to a full stop and as the speed declines below 10MPH the transaxle begins the upshift process under the standard shift pattern/schedule.

b] Just as, within milliseconds(again), the upshift begins the traffic light changes to green and now you apply pressure to the gas pedal.

Due to the fact that the Toyota/Lexus transaxles no longer have a pressure holding/sustaining accumulator two sequential gear changes in quick succession cannot be supported so DBW is used to delay the onset of engine torque until ATF pressure again rises to the appropriate level.
  • niceguy1234niceguy1234 Member Posts: 37
    I purchased the SE V6 about 2 months ago. At the beginning, I was worry about the Camry engine problem, and I am not sure if I should choose the 08 Accord EX-L V6 or the 08 Camry SE V6. Now I owned my Camry SE V6 for almost 2 months with about 1500 miles on it. Everything seems alright, and I am very happy with the car. No engine hesitation, no engine flare. Very powerful behind the 268 hp engine.

I feel good that I did not pick the 08 Accord V6 because I see there so many complaints about the V6 VCM issue. It happens for new technology, just like the new 6-gear Camry V6 tranny. If I buy the Accord, I may want to wait for the 09 model. By then Honda should come up some improvement on their VCM.
  • sunilvsunilv Member Posts: 26
    I think you are right smythe. My car 07 4 cy LE is still struggling with the transmission. I did all the software updations and still there is hesitation or like loosing power during shift change and it jerks or vibrates during shift change.

I think after doing the reflash when they test drive it seems ok but after some miles it is going back to the same stage. Last time when I went to the dealer they test drived and said it is normal.

In my case sometimes I feel it is running smoothly and after some mile it is causing problems as I mentioned. Then again after some miles it will run smoothly. I don't know whether it is due to the temperature difference, bcos in the morning if it is cold my car always jerks during shift changes.
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    I'm in the market for a new car and was looking at the 08 Camry. Is it safe to purchase or is it still plagued by transmission (?) issues? Would it matter if I went with a 4 cylinder over a v6 or is the problem affecting both engines+transmissions?
    I bought a 07 and 08 Camry, the 08's seems to be 100% none of the problems of the 07's. Including a squeaky dash and squealing brakes, I believe they even fixed the rattle with the seat belts, which rested to close to the pillars and when they were hanging on the passenger side rattled against the pillar. 100% satisfied here!
    Sorry forgot to mention it's an XLE-v6 not a 4CYL. Also the drive by wire issue with the V6 anyway has been an issue since my first in 2003, I had a hard time getting used to that but in the 07, and 08 you really do not feel it.
  • lvesterlvester Member Posts: 1
    Hi Drichard. You said you were going to the dealer about the problem with your 2008 Camry? My father has had the Exact same problem with his car. What did the dealer say? Did they do anything about the problem? Offer any solution? My Dad is extremely frustrated with Toyota and is hoping for some insite as to how to get something done about it. He has tried to contact Toyota direct but they will only deal with the dealer. The dealer offers no solutions other that to say "they are aware of the problem' Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi wwest:
    I enjoyed reading your posting. I am sure that you are describing the problem that some people are experiencing with this vehicle!
    There is a big operating difference bwteen my 2003 Honda Accord, and the DBW V6 Camry. Once the driver gets to know the operating characteristics of the new drive train, the vehicle performs very well in both city and highway operation.
    I live in Nothern New Jersey. When I leave the house in the morning, (after I have warmed up the engine), I drive this vehicle as a "stick shift". (I put the automatic selector in manual three, and I ride the town streets in either three or four.) This gives me "engine braking" and quick acceleration! ----- (Sometimes in traffic, when I ride small side streets I use the 2 position). When I reach the highway, I place the selctor into drive position. My driving style, most probably has by-passed the transmission issue.
    Sometimes when I am traveling South on the PIP from Stony Point New York, I make it a point to stop on the entrance ramp to the parkway, and I accelerate hard. This vehicle goes through the gears like a "drag racer on a quarter mile track"! I go from "O" to "60" in seconds. I would love to be able to open this vehicle up on the open highway, just to see what it could really do in terms of performance. In the old days, before radar, the New York State Thruway would have been the ideal place to carry on this little experiment. But, those days a long gone along with the 1955 Ford, the 1957 Plymouth and the 1956 Olds.
    In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the operating characteristics of this vehicle. It is just different technology! I would purchase another Camry. My vehicle is 13 months old, and it is approaching 27,000 miles, and I do not have any problems with this vehicle. It only goes back to the dealer for regular service, (every 2,500 miles / my choice.)
    I enjoyed reading your posting. ----- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :shades: ;):)
  • dricharddrichard Member Posts: 7
    Hi Ivester,

Unfortunately my dealership has said the same thing, "Toyota is aware of the problem, and they are working on a solution" The owner of the dealership told me today that when the '07's came out and had a tranny problem it took Toyota about 6 months to come up with a solution. I'm still really discouraged about this whole thing though.

I'll let everyone know when they tell me that there is a solution; I hope you all will do the same.

Denny
  • silentcutsilentcut Member Posts: 5
    Hi all ,
    I am quite unhappy to join the club of toyota 2008 owners..alas...i am facing the same vibration problem at 40mph.I bought a brand new camry xle v6 which had 53 miles on it. I test drove but in the excitement i didnt really see the problem.The saleman told me the car "breaks in" after few miles and asked me to drive at low speeds.
    When you speed up at 40 mph to 50 mph and release the gas pedal, the car automatically slows down and that too drastically. It doesnt give you a smooth ride feel and the driver is always conscious of the "force" that tries to slow the vehicle if you dont accelerate.So you have to keep accelerating..Gosh..
    The worst happens at the "STOP" The car hesitates to move and the pick up is so bad that the car ( we are talking a v6 camry xle here) makes grrrgrrrrrrrr.....noise...

I have no probs with my JBL stereo and i think i love it and all other features are amazing ( as of now atleast). No doubt about that.Also the dealer has done a "trim line hand paint" on my silver car and it looks gorgeous.Looks wise i love it.On the highway also the car is doing good.It is the local trips to my work (40 mph) that suck...

I am not a pro in defining these problems using the apt terminology, but i guess you understand my problem here.Anyway i went to the dealer in Connecticut and they checked the car and said its the ABS that slows down to prevent accidents ..bunch of bull..i went to the toyota mechanic today and they said its a problem that toyota is aware of and there is no solution to it as of now.Atleast they admitted that its a problem and that we as buyers have to "live with it".

I am planning to return my car ( lemon law) as i spent 30k on it.I dont know how to go about the lemon law to claim a new car or something equivalent and iam totally helpless like many others in this forum.I found the posts here describing similar problem and folks just be brave and lets do something.

Voice your opinion and make sure you document everything ( trips to dealers, mechanics etc etc)..Do we have to live with it forever or can we utilize the lemon law and return the car?? please advise on this matter and any support in this issue will be highly appreciated.

Finally If you cant enjoy a ride after paying 30 k What's the point in buying a brand new car??

Beware all car shoppers..atleast dont buy a toyota for few years..the old camry's were great...Gone are those days i guess...
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    "When you speed up at 40 mph to 50 mph and release the gas pedal, the car automatically slows down and that too drastically."

You know I felt the same thing! I test drove a V6 XLE (it was either an 08 or an 09) and on the roads and highway i felt like i had to keep nudging the accelerator to keep the car rolling. It was like there was a heavy resistance by the engine once you lifted your foot. At the time I just chalked it up to "progress" - me I'm used to a 12 year old GM 3.8L v6 with 4 speed.

I don't think the Camry is for me :( What I can't figure out is that they sell millions (around here it seems like every 3rd car is a new gen Camry). Don't other people have the same hang ups or do they live with it?
    "It was like there was a heavy resistance by the engine once you lifted your foot."

I suspect, strongly, that what "yawl" are experiencing is Toyota's (and Lexus') latest attempt at "fixing" the transaxle design flaw that they first introduced to the market via the new RX300. in '98.

According to the technical notes I have seen at techinfo.toyota.com there is new transaxle ECU control firmware that monitors the rate at which the driver operates the gas pedal. The ECU then presumes the driver's (immediate future) intention from the rate at which the gas pedal is released. With a slow and easy release the transaxle will upshift on the presumption that the driver's intent is to begin, enter, constant speed cruising. Whereas with a quick and fast release of accelerator pedal foot pressure the presumption will be that the driver wishes to slow the car, coastdown to a lower speed, or maybe even slow more quickly using engine compression braking.

"When you speed up at 40 mph to 50 mph and release the gas pedal, the car automatically slows down and that too drastically."

If the gas pedal foot pressure release is quick and fast and is preceded by a period of acceleration, even brief or light period of acceleration, the resulting presumption of driver's intent being to slow the car will result in the transaxle remaining in the previous "low" gear being used for acceleration and that might result in an unexpectedly high level, pretty severe level, of engine compression braking.

Obviously that, an inadvertent and surprising, maybe even a somewhat severe level of engine compression braking, could be a pretty dangerous situation for a FWD vehicle operating on a slippery roadbed surface.

But probably not any more serious or potentially dangerous than the 1-2 second transaxle downshift delay/hesitation that resulted from the last "trial" fix, DBW.

Ten years and counting.
  • silentcutsilentcut Member Posts: 5
    Thanks a ton for replying wwest and also mrdisco,

So you think we should release the gas pedal slowly and let the system "learn" the users intent?? I can try it and see if that works..

Also my next question- Can we just use the car as is ( slowing down at 40mph) and not run into problems in the future related to transmission..?? Plus are we losing gas miles bcoz of this problem?

Any inputs will be appreciated.
    "So you think we should release the gas pedal slowly and let the system "learn" the users intent??

Yes, that's the way I read the documentation for this new "feature", a slow release is supposed to result in an upshift provided one is available whereas a fast/quick release would cause the system to presume a quick slowdown is desired and remain in the current (low?) gear ratio.

This may very well be simply an expansion of the firmware that results in the activation of the earlier implementation of BA, Brake Assist.
  • smythesmythe Member Posts: 10
    At risk of being somewhat redundant to earlier posts:

With the low idle speeds, high-ratio gearing, and 5 or 6 speeds of modern cars, the manufacturer has 2 choices with regard to off-throttle response:

1. Upshift - Causes driveline rotation rate to slow, and thus transmission hydraulic pump becomes unable to make quick downshifts upon re-application of throttle due to insufficient pumped fluid volume. This is often seen as a "shift delay". The version of firmware on my 2007 I4 5sp AT Camry behaves this way. Once you get used to it and plan ahead for it, it's not really that bad. Also, this often results in smoother shifts when it does downshift.

2. Downshift - Increases drivetrain rate of rotation, and thus the transmission is already in a lower gear when throttle is reapplied, and if an even lower gear is needed, hydraulic pump oil volume is high so the shift can be completed quickly.

Actually, I'd prefer option 2, but that's because I'm a somewhat spirited driver and live in an area where wet/slipery roads are a rarity.

The option of a higher volume pump (has been tried by Lexus and Toyota) has been known to cause premature xmission failures, so sticking with the lower volume pumps and dealing with the above tradeoffs is a good idea. Besides, the lower volume pumps often result in smoother shifts across the board.
  • sennysenny Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 model Camry, just done 18750 miles had a difficult problem
    occurred yesterday. For the last 7 months it did so well, as per my
    expectation and value.
    Yesterday morning after 40 miles, I saw suddenly an engine check
    symbol, and while thinking what could be the reason , I saw my heat
    indicator needle dropped to zero. Immediately i pulled aside and
    stopped my car. Suddenly my wife saw smoke coming from hood. I rushed
    out and opened hood.No more smoke. But I found my coolant bottle is
    empty. Opened radiator cover after some time . Put water. Steam oozed
    out, I continued pouring water till it subsidized. Filled water in
    coolant bottle reservoir. After an hour started and no warnings
    existed. I took the vehicle to nearby dealer. Told everything. They
    checked and replaced engine oil as it was almost due for next change.
    Retuned home from office and today morning also came back to office.
    Heat level and coolant level same as normal. But I feel slight
    sluggishness ( less pulling) .
    What to Do? Only 7 months and bought new for relaibility.
    Please reply
    Make sure your radiator has coolant in it, and monitor closely to see if you can find where your cooling system might be leaking. Watch under your vehicle whereever you park.
  • sennysenny Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for a quick reply.
    We will closely monitor, till we find something.