Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2000 CR-V hesitation between 1st & 2nd gears-automatic

hondajoelhondajoel Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Honda
I have a 2000 CR-V with about 85,000 miles that is experiencing some sort of "indecisiveness" or hesitation when accelerating slowly at around 1500 RPM. I first noticed it when climbing slight hills, but then noticed it on flat grades too. It seems to not know which gear to choose, and I often have to give a blast on the gas to get it to kick back in. Has anyone else experienced this, and could you suggest a solution? The car has not yet had the tranny fluid changed.

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Change the tranny fluid using only Honda ATF.
  • puma63puma63 Member Posts: 2
    Our CRV was doing the same thing. We changed the fluid using the approved Honda transmission fluid, took it to the shop, neither of which worked.
    Before we installed a new transmission, my husband started to seriously research the transmission. After purchasing a rebuilt transmission my husband found a tag on it that said to avoid unnecessary returns "after installation, reboot the computer". He then removed the battery from the car and touched the positive and negative cables together for an instant, effectively rebooting the car's computer to factory specs. (you'll have to re-code the radio so make sure to get the code from the owner's manual) We have not had the problem since that time. After further research we discovered that if the vehicle is towed on two wheels it can cause the computer to become confused and the transmission to shift irregularly. Talking with the original owner we found out that yes, she had it towed home after it over-heated.
    Hope this helps.
  • puma63puma63 Member Posts: 2
    we didn't put in a new transmission; it is still in the garage!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    if the vehicle is towed on two wheels it can cause the computer to become confused and the transmission to shift irregularly.

Towing with just 2 wheels on the ground we destroy the rear differential making an AWD CR-V a very noisy FWD vehicle.
This discussion has been closed.