Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Blazer Fuel Pump and Pressure Regulator Problems

Comments

• chgoblazerchgoblazer Member Posts: 4
    Pump not working
    Replaced the pump, lasted two weeks.
    Tried starting it everyday for one week No humm). Seventh day it started, why I have no clue.
    two days later it was dead again.(no humm)
    Got under the truck, unplugged it, checked the plug for hot,(GOOD).
    Checked the ground (GOOD), which is on the frame in the middle, remove spare to find it.
    Put a paper clip in the plug, from behind while plugged in the pump, so it made a better connection. Push the clip from behind.
    Now no problems
  • nicsandnicsand Member Posts: 4
    I'm no mechanic, but I hope this helps if u run into anymore problems. Along with my fuel pump(which if u havent checked ebay pretty reasonable) I had the ignition switch(modulator) changed. Did a little research online, found it to be common problem with these cars. Hope this helps.
  • marwill4marwill4 Member Posts: 1
    Is replacing the fuel regulator on a 1999 blazer the same as on a 1997 or 1994?
  • kangfishkangfish Member Posts: 1
    where can I find a detail pic of one of these
  • duntovduntov Member Posts: 133
    Go to http://rockauto.com and navigate until you get a photograph of your part. Most of the 1985 through 1994 parts are different from the 1995 - up Blazer parts.

You will need to know the manufacturer of the part and their part number. I use AC Delco parts when they are available and the website will sometimes give you a cross-reference from the aftermarket part to the original or replacement GM part number. Other brands may be cheaper and just as good as AC Delco or GM but I try to keep my Blazer "all GM", especially if it is a part that is visable to a critical eye. You can find parts cheaper that those sold by Rock Auto Parts. I only use their website when I want a photo of the part or a part number. Sometimes the photo may be a generic photo so don't consider the photo as as absolute.

For example, the original GM EGR valve and a AC Delco replacement EGR valve for a 1991 S10 Blazer 4x4 4-door is black whereas most aftermarket brands are plated.
  • scrubsjimscrubsjim Member Posts: 2
    :mad: stupid dodge neon :confuse: fuel pump?? it starts after a few attempts
    somestimes idles ok sometime VERY rough, give it some gas it stalls then dies
    HELP PLEASE :lemon:
  • zac_a_takzac_a_tak Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Blazer will start just fine and after running for sometime she won't accept fuel and lose power under strain(like up hill).
    If she dies I just restart and she runs fine for awhile longer. I also believe that my fuel pump is singing way to loud. Like straining. Could this be a vent problem? It seems like once everything is heated up is when I have the problem. On cool days it just take longer for the problem to occur. I replaced the pump/filter and no gauage lights on the dash comes on. Nor does the check engine light come on and nothing ever shows up on the comptuer. I am lost for ideas and so are the mechs can you help? Zack
  • bubbleszcarbubbleszcar Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem with my 97 blazer. It only did that when it was hot as well, now it won't even work. I was told it was the fuel pump. We just changed it, fuel filter and relay as well and the new pump wont even turn on........I'm stumped.......
  • bubbleszcarbubbleszcar Member Posts: 2
    I was driving down the interstate when the blazer just seemed to loose its power. I would give it gas but then seemed to act like it was getting too much. It eventually came to a stop. When starting off again it was fine for a couple miles and then just shut off completely. It would start up, but if i gave it any gas would quit. I was able to drive it home after it cooled just thought maybe got to hot. But a few days later it would do it more frequently until now. It is just parked. We replaced the fuel pump, filter and relay but the new pump won't even work. Battery is completely dead so have to charge it up....the new pump won't work........could this be a defective pump or is there something else causing this? :confuse: :sick: :cry:
    The companies that make and sell electric in-tank fuel pumps recommend that you also replace the fuel pump wiring harness as well as the filter. Some companies even recommend cleaning the fuel tank or replacing it entirely with a new one. Something caused the fuel pump to fail! They do that in order to prevent customers from thinking the new fuel pumps are defective when they don't work.

My late father built and raced jalopys from 1947 to 1952. He gave me some good advice on car repair jobs that are difficult to do. He said..."Replace the pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft every time you can see it" That statment definately applies to a in-tank electric fuel pump, wiring harness and screen.l.
  • silversmokesilversmoke Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem. check the ignition switch. This throws everything off when it is malfunctioned.
  • gwlanegwlane Member Posts: 2
    I had a mecanic install a fuel pump it lasted 1 month ,now the car dies but it will start for a short time if I pour gas down the intake , if I let the car set for 2-3 hrs it runs again for 30-50 miles, :confuse: this was an aftermarket pump ,I have changed the relay under the hood on the drivers side
  • gwlanegwlane Member Posts: 2
    Iam still having the same problem after changing the relay I am going to check the conection at the tank does anyone have any suggestion
  • scooter89scooter89 Member Posts: 6
    My son has a 97 blazer that started to intermittantly die and fail to restart. The next morning, all would be fine. After 30 days, finally quit at the shop, they said to replace the fuel pump. All good for 60 days, then same problem over again. Once again, the shop said the pump was bad. Again,new fuel pump, all connections at the pump looked "like new", it ran a week, and now, the problem is back. Sometimes it will start and idle, but put it in gear (auto tranny), and it will die. Great car when it runs. Ideas?
    Replace the fuel filter located on the driver's side frame. That is usually done routinely as part of a major tune up. When a in-tank fuel pump is replaced, the in-tank wiring harness and screen should also be replaced or the new fuel pump will fail just like the previous fuel pump and for the same reasons. The wiring harness is included with the better quality fuel pump kits. Otherwise you must by the harness and screen separately. Sometimes, the fuel tank must be cleaned inside or replaced.

Has your Blazer ever run out of gas? Never run a Blazer fuel tank extremely low on fuel or run out of fuel. That unloads the fuel pump and it has been known to ruin them..
  • scooter89scooter89 Member Posts: 6
    Both fuel pumps have had a new harness and screen. The tank appeared clean when changing the second pump, but we drained and wiped out the tank anyway. Fuel filter was changed prior to the first pump change, although gas would run freely through it. I just went out and started the Blazer and drove it around our one acre, now it seems to work fine, could the fuel pressure regulator be intermittantly faulty? My son and I appreciate your help.
    Yes, the fuel pressure regulator could be faulty. However, you better hope it isn't because a 1992 and later S/T-10 Blazer equipped with CPI (Central Port Injection), the fuel pressure regulator costs more than $500.00 because you cannot purchase it separately from the fuel injection spider assembly.

Unlike a 1992 and later model, a 1987-1991 S/T-10 Blazer with TBI (Throttle Body Injection) the fuel pressure regulator costs $90.00 and can be replaced without replacing the throttle body.
  • jessy19jessy19 Member Posts: 1
    the messages i'm replying to were posted a few months ago but i'd bet anything it's your fuel injectors. i was moving from minnesota to oklahoma. half way there in iowa my blazer started messing up. my boyfriend who was in his truck in front of me, said it was the fuel pump or injectors. i was able to make it to the next town where the mechanic replaced mine for me. good luck.
  • gabhanjacisagabhanjacisa Member Posts: 19
    1989 S-10 Blazer 2.8. Replaced spark plugs and wires. Replaced fuel pump relay (both of them). Replaced fuel filter. Car will crank but will not start. If I spray in some carb cleaner, car will "run" until carb cleaner burns off.

How do I know if the fuel pump is bad? What do I listen for? Can I remove the line to the fuel filter and see if gas is moving through the line? A mechanic told me to hit its location with a hammer, but how is this done since it is in gas tank? And, I don't know where in the tank it is to hit the location properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    The so-called mechanic who told you to "hit it with a hammer" was joking. Mechanics are not going to tell you how to fix something because finding the problem and fixing it is what they do for a living.

A good ASE trained mechanic will know how to use fuel pressure guages and will use them to guage to test the out-put pressure of an electric fuel pump. They also can use a TBI fuel injection solenoid harness tester to find electrical or fuel system malfunctions. If the fuel pump tests good, the TBI pressure regulator may be bad. The part that may be bad is a AC Delco TBI pressure regulator...Part no. 217-2903, and costs $54.00.

Find a ASE trained mechanic with the proper equipment. That will be expensive but not as expensive as replacing parts until you find the problem. Local independently owned mechanics cannot afford expensive test equipment, even if they knew how to use it. All those guys can do is keep replacing parts untill they finally find the problem ....at your expense. A good mechanic with the proper tools can go directly to the problem and fix it.
  • myblazermyblazer Member Posts: 3
    Excessive parts and labor cost is usually the reason we do thing ourselves. The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank and it is at least a 4 hour job if you have all the parts and the tools. No special tools are required. A independent auto repair shop would charge about $260 labor plus $150 for the parts, for a total of $410 to do the job plus guarantee it for 90 days, whatever a guarantee is worth.

If you buy the parts and do the work yourself, it will cost:
    Pump.....................$95.00
    Strainer..................$8.00
    Wiring harness.......$10.00
    Total......................$113.00

If you do the work yourself and buy the parts, there is no guarantee, but the pay is pretty good.
  • ixxixxiixxixxi Member Posts: 9
    I would assume you are just going to buy a new pump. You will need a siphon pump, you can buy a cheap orange one with 2 hoses about 5 feet long at wal mart for $10. You will also need fuel line removal sleeves and you can get those from your local auto parts store for about $10 and come in a multi size/color pack.
    The first thing you will need to do is get the fuel out of your tank, but you cant do it from the fill cap alone. under the blazer is 2 bands that wrap around the fuel tank. Drop them down as far as you can go without taking them off. Next, access your tank through the rear wheel well, remove the fill hose from the fuel tank and open up your nifty walmart siphon pump. Depending upon your level of gas, you might need a couple 5 gal cans. Remove the gas from your tank.
    Next,while your tank is lowered, remove the breather tube from the top front of the tank, its a tight squeeze and theres a spring clamp around it but you can usually just pullit off with a good tug by hand. After you do that, you will need to remove the fuel lines from your pump. Break open those new fuel line remover sleeves you bought and go back to the back under the blazer. Find the sleeve that fits around the adapters on your pump and slide the sleeve where it couples with the fuel line, there is a ring in that coupler where you need to slide the sleeve under to unlock it from the pump. The middle one may be tricky so either modify your sleeve, or I just broke the center plastic piece off my pump because it was garbage anyways. Remove the wiring harness on the pump. REMEMBER THE ORDER THESE HOSES GO BACK IN ON.
    So now,You should have fuel siphoned out, breather tube disconnected, and your fuel lines removed from the fuel pump. For easier acessability you could also drive your entire driver side up on car ramps, I just jacked up the back but its up to you. Now, lay under the fuel tank and remove the bolds the rest of the way, taking not how the brackets lock back into the chassis. the tank only weighs about 5lbs so drop it down to your chest and slide it out.
    Remove the lock ring for the fuel pump. There should be a tab on the tank that holds the ring in place, if the ring is rusty, or doesn't want to spin, use a hammer and a screwdriver in one of the slots and tap it out. Your pump will only fit in there one way because there is a notch. Break out the NEW O-ring and cover it with the lube that comes with it. Put it on the pump and and insert the pump back into the tank. Don't force it in the tank. Your O-ring may not be seated properly and you want to avoid shearing pieces off if you pinch it.
    To install just do the steps backwards.
    1. Put the tank back on the brackets and get the threads started.
    2. Attach your breather tube on the top of tank.
    3. Install your fuel lines and electrical back on pump. Did you remember the order?
    4. Re-attach your fill hose
    5.Tighten your bolts on your mounting bands

I did it twice on mine, first one was a bad pump, but I would estimate the time on this to be an 1hr to 1.5 hours.
    Actually, I didnt say "Hit it with a hammer." I actually said tap it with a hammer, and what im talking about tapping is the steel ring that holds the pump onto the tank. It looked by his post that he was looking to attempt it at home, which anyone can do. Sure you could spend $800 for a service station to Professionally change it out, on top of you buying a $30 gauge part number 327a-asd72 or whatever it is. but i dont think that some joe blow replacing the fuel pump is going to buy an expensive tool to spin a lock ring an inch, and i could almost bet that a mechanic would do something similar. and no, im not a mechanic, but i changed mine out and it still works ;-)
  • pinetopfirefigpinetopfirefig Member Posts: 5
    OK. deep breath. My mechanic has had my 98 Blazer for 7 WEEKS now. :mad: I took it in because the fuel pump had gone out (again). It had gone out about 3 years ago. Anyway, they replaced it but then had problems with power getting to the pump. They have narrowed it down to the underhood fuse block, saying that there is a short in there somewhere. They have tried to replace the fuse block twice (with 98 blazer fuse blocks) but the ones they found will not work. They are missing a pin or something. What the heck???????? Can anyone offer any help (other than finding a new mechanic). Thanks.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Seven Weeks???!!!

Get a tow truck and save your Blazer. The guy is not a mechanic, he's a half-wit parts swapper who doesn't know what he is doing!
    No kidding. There is NO excuse for a vehicle to be in the shop that long. If it's not done today, I am calling a tow truck tomorrow. Should have done that 4 weeks ago!!!
    If a shop keeps your vehicle for a longer period of time than seems normal, they are usually hiding something.I have never found an automobile repair shop that would tell a customer they don't know how to fix a problem. In addition, most auto repair shops will demand a 50% deposit on any job that will cost more than the car is worth.

For example: Any one armed blind man can replace a ABS control unit on a 1991 Blazer with 4WAL brakes but none of them will tell you they don't know how to bleed it. That job will cost about $1500 on a car that is no worth $1500.

. Don't let the ASE Certified symbol or shoulder patch that all auto mechanics wear fool you, it means absolutly nothing. It is just a "come-on" to get your business. No one can fail the ASE Certification Test.

Learn how to do the auto repair work yourself....because you certainly cannot beat the pay.
    Tell me about it. They tried two different fuse boxes, and no fit. You would think that after the first one not working they would have known what they were looking for the second time. These guys do not know what they are doing. PERIOD. I agree and will learn how to do more of this stuff myself.
  • myblazermyblazer Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the step by step it made it a lot easier its done runs good Thanks
    glad it worked. Im a novice myself!
    when you turn your key forward, but not all the way till it turns over, you will hear kind of a whizzing sound for about 5 seconds coming from the back end driver side. If you turn the key and dont hear a whizzing sound, then your fuel pump is most likely out.
  • pissedpissed Member Posts: 1
    i replace y trans mission in 1989 ranger 2.9 fi. ford upon starting it up.. it for about 30sec. after searching i found that my eec relay sw keeps blowing my 30amp fuse. also i dont hear my fuel pump cycle on.
  • v_bunnies10100v_bunnies10100 Member Posts: 3
    Where there any recalls on this vehicle and is there still time to get them repaired from any chevy dealer? I would appreciate a response via my email address v.bunnies@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance.Devonna
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would appreciate a response via my email address...

That tends to defeat the purpose of Forum. Best to keep the conversation here so everyone benefits.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • v_bunnies10100v_bunnies10100 Member Posts: 3
    Well I still have yet recieved an answer to what is wrong with the vehilce, My husband has changed the fuel pump, wiring harness, spark plugs and rotary cup but it still won't start, could it be the emissions ar the computer in the vehicle?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may want to take a look at A Quick Guide to Recalls .

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mary57mary57 Member Posts: 1
    My '94 Blazer Tahoe 4x4 is still running, but I noticed today that the fuel pump sound is not turning itself off once I've started the engine. Is this a warning that I'll be needing an expensive fuel pump change or is there something I can do now that would save me big bucks?
  • franbillfranbill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 s10 blazer, 2 wheel drive 2 door. What other year fuel pumps will fit?
    The fuel pump fits 1997-2001 Chevrolet Blazer and GMC Jimmy.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Only the two door fuel pump will fit, not the four door. The different sources show conflicting information on year interchanges. Some show 99-01, others show 96-02. This may be one of those times where you will need to get the part number off the pump module. From what I can discern, the break point is -02 and later because of the fuel tank itself.
  • billy_m09billy_m09 Member Posts: 1
    thanks for ur help i hope it dont cost that much but well see maybe i'll get lucky well ok thanks again!
  • fordman76fordman76 Member Posts: 1
    I really wish I done my home work! I had to put ball joints on a blazer my sister bought,pain in the [non-permissible content removed] but got it done.her brake lights had quit was trying to figure that out,come to find out the hazard switch was bad replaced that.Now the damn thing wont start.The fuel pumps not priming up checked fuse,relay in engine compartment seem to be fine.so I dropped the tank straight wired the pump and it shot fuel out damn near eight foot.I do not believe Im getting power to the pump, but the sending unit is still working.Any ideas would be great,the truck has security sys. the light blinks,but when you turn the key on it goes out,so I dont think it is that
    even if your fuel pump works, if it is old or worn, it will still push fuel through but not enough for the air/fuel mixture required to start the engine. I had this happen and the only thing that happened was it would just keep turning and turning but wouldnt start. Do you have a check engine light on? You should be able to rent a computer from your local auto parts store. Granted they arent the most sophisticated like the mechanic's, but it will get you in the ball park. If you get a code for your air/fuel mixture too lean, chances are the pump is bad. You could always start out by changing the fuel filter (under driver side on the inward side of the chassis) and if that dont work then may be the pump. I would recommend getting an OEM pump as I have went through 2 auto store pumps in a year and a half, so that would equal the cost of a factory pump anyways. Good luck
  • mandalizabethmandalizabeth Member Posts: 1
    i have a 98 blazer that needs a new fuel pump, i was estimated $835. after looking around a little bit, i have found the highest priced fuel pump to be about $250, and some even under $100. granted, i know nothing about how it is replaced, over $500 for labor seems a bit much. the mechanic that gave me this estimate is a friend of my family, so no one believes that this is a ridiculous estimate, but i'm kind of weary. he says that they are extremely difficult to get to and replace. i just wanted to find out exactly how difficult it is and if $835 is reasonable? i absolutely love my blazer, but if this is honestly the cheapest i can get it done for, im gonna have to get rid of it. =\ help.
    Search the pages in this article as I posted a detailed walkthrough on how to change a fuel pump out yourself. It only takes a couple hours with the right tools. You can buy the cheaper pump but remember...you get what you pay for. If you can afford it get the original factory one from chevy dealer for $400-$450. A mechanic can do a complete change in an hour but they have a set time in a book that it should take to change it. So if they charge $400 for labor to change a pump you pay that price even if it takes 15 minutes. But its really easy to do but if you can't do it, ask a local mechanic because you could save up to $50 an hour labor.
    The fuel pump is located inside the gas tank. The gas tank must be emptied, removed and cleaned before replacing the fuel pump. The fuel pump assembly, fuel pump wiring harness and screen should be replaced. Some fuel pumps include the wiring harness but the screen must be purchased separately. It is recommended that the in-line fuel filter be replaced every 10,000 miles because if it is restricted it can place an unecessary strain on the fuel pump which will lead to a early failure. I don't know iof this helps but I always keep at least 1/4 tank of gas to keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel. The rumor is that a fuel tank that is nearly empty all the time can overheat and damage a fuel pump. Some examples of the more expensive brand of parts that are needed for 1998 Blazer 18 gallon tank with a low lubricity fuel tank sender (module) and pump (RPO K55):
    AC Delco fuel pump and sender, MU112 (GM-25878731) ...$343
    AC Delco Strainer, TS102 (GM-25179682).........$36
    Airtex harness WH3006...........$10
    Your application may vary.

It is a job that I would not want to do and I have heard from others who have replaced the fuel pump themselves and they said they would not want to do it again. For a person that is unfamiliar with the job, it will take at least 4 to 6 hours.
    Alright, I just had a 3rd fuel pump put in my 98 Blazer. Last one lasted 7 months, and at that time I had the underhood fuseblock replaced as well. 2 weeks ago I had intermittent starting, and then got it to the shop and they replaced the fuel pump which had gone out (under warranty-ac delco). Anyway, got the blazer home and the next day, it would not start. I can not hear the very distinct sound of the pump coming on, so I am assuming there is a short somewhere. The pigtail was replaced, relay replaced, filter replaced, all the usual stuff checked. My mechanic is stumped. I am wondering if it is the ignition, spider, or computer. I have no security system to mess things up, so thats out. Any ideas?
  • nicsandnicsand Member Posts: 4
    I do have a couple of ideas. I have a 97 chevy blazer with some of the same problems you've had. From my experience the buzzing noise that I heard was the fuel pump. When I had it replaced the mechanic said the fuel pump wasn't placed properly and thats where the buzzing noise came from. He said you shouldn't here the pump coming on. As far as the intermittent starting try to check the ignition module. I had mine replaced almost a year ago and I haven't had any problems since. Hope this helps.
    Thanks nicsand. I have been wondering if it was the ignition module myself. But, the million dollar question is...........why does the fuel pump keep going out? Like I said, this is the 3rd pump I have put in. These last 2 pumps were ac delco and this one was under warranty.