Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

1 Ton Diesel Tundra

1972ck1972ck Member Posts: 56
Toyota Racing Development showcases a 1 ton 8 liter, in-line 6 cylinder diesel built by Toyota owned Hino Corp. at the SEMA show in Oct. of '07. Let's tell Toyota Motor Corp. to "build it and they will come"! Come on Toyota let's show the auto makers how to build a real 1 ton pick up.

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Isn't Hino owned by Nissan?

-mike
  • Options
    No, Hino is partially owned by Toyota. As well as (again partially) Yamaha. Yamaha actually builds some of Toyota's engines for them and develops head designs for Toyota. I believe Toyota also purchased a small portion of Subaru not too long ago. I know Toyota sold it's 1st generation hybrid tech. to Nissan and to Ford.

If you check out some of the rigs TRD made/displayed for the SEMA show in Vegas of October of last year. You should be able to find a pic. of the 1 ton dually Tundra. Toyota would not place a Nissan powertrain in their own product. If Toyota goes ahead and places this truck into production I know I'll the 1st to sign up. Can you imagine a heavy duty, diesel w/ Toyota quality? Toyota hasn't made a one ton p/u since the late eighties, early nineties. :shades:
  • Options
    Hmm what company is the one that is Nissan?

Oh and I'm not sold on "Toyota Reliability" I can point to the current Tundra and their broken cam shafts, and the camry "sludge" issues from a few years ago.

With that said I would buy it over all but the GMC/Chevy 2500 w/Isuzu Diesel Engine.

-mike
  • Options
    I think all manufactures have their issue with certain models. If I remember correctly the sludge issue w/ the Camry and Sienna was mainly due to consumers not changing their oil at the recommended intervals. As for the camshafts on the new 5.7 lite Tundra. I think I remember reading that it was only about 2,000 or so units out of 170k sold for '07 that were effected.
    I am hoping that enough people will plead Toyota into building this "concept" vehicle. I know darn well they've already got things in the works. They always seem to be ahead of the "bell curve" so to speak. They just need to know they can sell enough of these units to make it a production vehicle. (see $$$)
    Toyota has finally taken a step in the right direction with the new Tundra. The T100 did not fit the American truck buyers expectations. The 2000 to 2006 Tundra wasn't cutting the mustard either. Great truck it didn't have the capabilities that the American truck buyer wanted. That's not to say they really needed it. I know of a lot of people who are retired and are looking for a diesel to tow large 5th wheels and travel trailers with slide-outs. A 1/2 ton gas powered full sized p/u just isn't enough. A 1 ton or atleast a 3/4 ton diesel Toyota Tundra would show the truck buyer that Toyota surely can build a truck! They build large delivery trucks overseas with diesels. They've got the technology...now just build the damned thing. :)
  • Options
    Yup I'd love to see that and a diesel powered Titan and Armada too.

-mike
  • Options
    Looked it up UD = Nissan Diesel.

-mike
  • Options
    The President of Toyota Motor Corp. announced the other day at a press conference that Toyota will indeed build the diesel Tundra for the '10-'11 MY.
    It will be powered by a new "clean diesel" technology. I am guessing sequential direct injection and new catalyst technology in the exhaust manifold. Can't wait for 2010 to get here now. Something to look forward to. :D
  • Options
    dorabieldorabiel Member Posts: 1
    I would too love to see :)