Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Noises and Sounds

2»

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I agree completely. As I have said before on these forums, Cars are machines, and it's a miracle they work at all. For every serious complaint we see here, and I don't deny the problems mentioned, there are more issues out there, but millions of properly operating cars with very satisfied customers. I have a small fleet of cars for my business + 3 cars for my family. I've tried them all. At this moment, I have 5 Fords (4 are Escapes, incidentally), 3 Chryslers and 2 Toyotas. They are all good. No major problems or issues, and some of them have over 80,000 miles. Just rep-laced an Explorer with over 140,000 miles on it. Between them, the Toyotas seem to be the best made, but not always the most functional or attractive design, the Fords are the best designed vehicles, and the Chryslers are, well, ok. I've owned them all, but the GM cars have overall, been the worst performers for me, and even those aren't terrible, but sometimes you can get a lemon from any company. I have had a bad Ford or two (not ever an Escape though), but have not put a fatwa on Ford because of it. I get rid of the bad one, and get something else and move on. It happens, and it's the cost of driving to me. If every car from one manufacturer I had owned was horrible, yes, I'd quit buying from them, and I've pretty much quit buying GM, but not for that reason. I just don't care for their designs, lack of technology, and mediocre quality overall. In short, they are not remarkable at any level. Anyway, that's how I feel. I don't see the need or the potential effect of the threats directed toward Ford or anybody else. You can't punish a company with those. Just vote with your money. That's all that matters. :P
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    nvbanker:
    That is funny because I too will never by a new GM product again. I can understand making a lemon but when you work it all the way up to the factory rep and he tells you it was a bad design and there is nothing they can do about it then I take it personal. I was 19 years old at the time and was making $3.65 an hour making those payment on a 1984 Pontiac Firebird. That car took every penny I had. I told the GM rep that this is the last car I would ever buy from GM and he just smiled at me. Well I buy a new car every 2 years so that is 13 cars I have bought and 0 have been GM. I knew they would go belly up someday and they did.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Took the wifes 2010 Escape XLT 2.5 6spd auto/4WD into the dealer about 2 weeks ago for the transmission shifting issue. I was told by the service rep there was "another" re-programming notice issued by Ford. So, they re-programmed and topped off the fluid. So far so good. I have driven the Escape myself around town, back and forth to work a few times just to see if I could feel the hard shifts between 2nd/3rd, nothing felt. It actually feels smoother when shifting. So, for now I am satisfied. Wife and I really like this vehicle. This is our 3rd Escape and the other 2 were reliable, solid vehicles. :)
  • 2hills2hills Member Posts: 10
    A fellow stopped me on the street the other day telling me he was lookingto buy a 2011 Escape. He asked me what I thought of the Escape... I told him I wished I had never purchased mine and that he would be better off to steer clear of the Escape. I also referred him to this forum if he wanted to find out what other people are saying about the escape. He thanked me and told me he was going to consider something else.
  • cannon3cannon3 Member Posts: 296
    Hate to tell you.. If this guy does any sort of research he will see overall the Escape is pretty reliable.. ;)
    Actually, this is the only forum I have found with ANY negative comments on the Escape at all. Every car line has a few lemons in it.
    The car is not a lemon, but it is such a pain in the butt when you try dealing with a ford dealership or ford directly and the answer is "thats the way it is". its like they dont give a damn about the annoying noise, and it has been ongoing since 2009. Could they figure it out, I think they could but they don't care.
    Well good news (I think). A new TSB was issued on July 22 to fix the hoot in the transmission. TSB11-7-23 says that a snubber installed and incorporated with the fluid reservoir. This is like a soap opera, so I'm not sure if it will work. The service dept has ordered the part and hoepefully this will be the fix needed to get rid of this annoying noise.
  • duckyellowduckyellow Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Another reason to snub the so called "domestics" (which only assemble things, not make them)

and go for Japanese cars that run 500k

For the record I still drive my 2001 Mustang. Decent car but Ford are jerks to deal with in all respects. Slow, dimwitted and just plain frustrating. Been looking and I like some of the domestic cars but these days it seems it little problem after little problem with no resolution. Life is to short for that nonsense.

I want to drive my car not sit in the dealership waiting room sipping on JB coffee and listening to some fat union tard give excuses.

Everytime I get my oil changed I see people arguing with Ford. My Mustang was great except for tie rods - which were a knows issue to ford but they wouldnt replae them until they broke one by one. After warranty with 26000 km's on the car. 3 years has passed see and I was out of luck. But its a know issue I said ... "tuff luck" they said. So now when they try to sell me a car I can look them in the eye and say "tough luck"

Its actually painfull to listen to car salesmen. I love how they've never heard of issues with anythign they sell. You can take a binder full of recals with you and they will still say they've never heard of it. We seriously have to pass laws in Canada about false representation and disclosure. If I buy in the States I am covered by "lemon law". If the same problem arises 3x the law makes them buy the car back. In Canada we only have arbitration. Not the same thing at all. If Harper stops giving away $ to haiti and Somalia maybe he can pay attention to the lies people are getting away with and pass just one law.
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    It is highly unlikely that Prime Minister Harper will get involved with your complaints of Ford dealers, regardless if we donate monies to Haiti, Somalia or to any country or not.
  • wvescapewvescape Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if 2hills or anyone else has had luck with the new TSB was issued on July 22 to fix the hoot in the transmission. TSB11-7-23. Please respond it drives me crazy.
  • suzyatvsuzyatv Member Posts: 1
    I am taking the vehicle in this week for what Ford tells me is a "simple" fix.
    I am alarmed by the many posts about this problem and the fact that it has gone on so long.
    I hope that the fix works or I will be an unhappy camper. It is most annoying and getting worse.
    Has anyone requested the assurance that it will not do long term harm in writing.
    That will be my strategy,
    I returned from vacation only to find the ford dealer hadn't ordered the snubber as he had promised. I have an appointment on the 27th to have this part installed so hopefully this is the long awaited fix. I think most of my frustration with this noise is the fact the local dealer acts like its no big deal and I should just go away. Dealers are great when they sell you a car but when you have problems.... well its a crap shoot. I left one dealer in town because they shafted me on a repair to my 2001 escape now this dealer is stating to geive me the run around. I'll keep you posted on the fix.
    I have had my 2010 into the ford dealership and had a snubber installed in the transmission as per TSB11-7-23. We took the car on a road trip the next day and had a lot of stop and go traffic and the "hoot" has gone away. I hope this is a permenant fix because its nice not hearing that noise any longer. I love my escape again.
    Well I have been driving my 2010 escape now for about 3 weeks and do not have the hoot, but the transmission is noisier than it used to be, probably the snubber has something to do with it.
  • emar4emar4 Member Posts: 2
    Just had the "subber" fix for the hoot noise done on my Escape AWD and so far so good. The noise is gone. If it comes back I will post it.
  • emar4emar4 Member Posts: 2
    I meant "snubber". It took six hours to put in the piece. They had to take the transmission apart. It is supposed to keep the transmission chain "taut" so that it doesn't make the noise.
  • edgarjedgarj Member Posts: 2
    Have the sound returned?
  • edgarjedgarj Member Posts: 2
    Have the sound returned?
  • normak2normak2 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the transmission in my '10 Escape rebuilt. It had 24,000 miles on it when it began to have just a slight hesitation when going at highway speeds. They checked the fluid and said it was awful so scheduled for a rebuild. Said it would take a week. Well, guess what...parts were back-ordered from Ford. So well over 2 weeks later, I finally have my car back in the garage. Also had to have the module for the heating/cooling system replaced. Also the alternator pulley had to be replaced due to a rattle. All of this at 24,000 miles. I am disgusted. I also had to get to my 3rd loaner car before I had one that was decent.

My fear is what else will go wrong with this car? I'm retired and never expected to have to have these challenges so soon in the ownership. It was a one-year-old Ford lease car. (one "owner" only) so presumed it would be in good condition. Feel let down!
    Odds are, if it was a lease car turned in within a year, it was a buy back or lemon, or the owner just got tired of the problems and turned it in on another one, which is costly to do. Or, could have been a repo. Anyway, they don't make 1 year leases routinely - I think you got someone else problem. These issues are NOT normal for an Escape. I've had 9.
  • connie43connie43 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve your clicking noise problem?
  • danno56danno56 Member Posts: 1
    Hi ...this is kind of related to the Ford Escape rear end noise issue posted 2 years ago. Thought I would give this info to your readers, we just recently discovered a whinning/whistling noise from the rear of our 2007 Escape. I thought it sounded alot like the diff case, and possibly the wheel bearings. To the shop for diagnosis it went where, they could not find anything wrong other than it had regular 90 weight oil instead of the synth stuff. Everyone was stumped including me cause the noise was annoying! I jacked it up, spun the wheels, checked all i could check, and then realized the noise started when i put the luggage racks back on! Duh
  • printerman1printerman1 Member Posts: 68
    what program can tweak the engine computer to give better gas mileage, then re-tweak it in case of in case it goes into be fixed.
    I noted European version of this 2011, given much better mileage. We do a lot of distance driving. Forget about the emissions, I just want better mileage.