Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6- Water leak

tricia14tricia14 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Pontiac
I have an 05 Pontiac 4dr G6 GT Everytime it rains rain seems to leak onto the drivers side floor. It is coming from the side panel under the dash and I cannot seem to find the original source, it has become very frustrating. Anyone had a similar problem?

Comments

• atomlin01atomlin01 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same year, and GT model. I just bought it and discovered the problem as well. I can't figure it out. I plan on taking it in to see if the dealership can figure it out, if I find out first or if you or someone else can figure out how that water is coming in from under the dash first please let me know. Thanks!!!
  • littrelld1954littrelld1954 Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 05 Pontiac 4dr G6 sedan and it leaks on passenger side and goes into back floorboard on passenger side..... Dealer replaced drain hose in sunroof and says this will fix problem.... I they are correct ...... The headliner and passenger seat showed no signs of leaking.... was still in warranty by 200 miles..... I Hope the dealer repair guys know what they are doing ...... dale_littrell@yahoo.com
  • littrelld1954littrelld1954 Member Posts: 2
    I also have an 05 Pontiac 4dr G6 sedan and it leaks on passenger side and goes into back floorboard on passenger side..... Dealer replaced drain hose in sunroof and says this will fix problem.... I hope they are correct ...... The headliner and passenger seat showed no signs of leaking.... was still in warranty by 200 miles..... I Hope the dealer repair guys know what they are doing ...... dale_littrell@yahoo.com
  • gtpracergtpracer Member Posts: 1
    i had the same problem out of my 2006 GTP there is a factory notice that went out to all dealerships it was a problem that was fixed in 07 the drain lines are too short they have to replace them with longer lines this repair will cost you nothing it is just like a recall take it to your local dealer and have it fixed
  • socalrogersocalroger Member Posts: 1
    I had similar leak on drivers side about 2 weeks ago. Water got into computer electronics and car barely would run. Also drivers side floor was soaked. Had it towed to dealer. They said it was water coming from the sun roof coming down the channel into a damaged grommet on the door light switch. Car is under extended warranty and yet they still charged me $290! Said its not covered. I've lodged a complaint with the dealer and waiting for a response. I see this is an on-going problem.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Car is under extended warranty and yet they still charged me $290! Said its not covered.

Sounds like you got screwed.....
  • ThezeofGod62ThezeofGod62 Member Posts: 4
    Water leaks from headliner (dearler haven't fixed the problem yet) Out of warranty I ahev to pay for that as well as rental car.

Purchased car 4mths ago, problems noticed within the first 30 days...
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, you would think the dealer would know about the issue, considering the car was on the lot, and more than likely it rained. So, perhaps their hiding something. ??
  • ralkaralka Member Posts: 72
    what year G 6 ?
    it is a very common problem. leaks down the panels on the rear side windows, or water in the headliner. what area are you?
    2007 Pontiac G6
    do you want to fix it yourself ?
    Yes...I still have an extended warranty but, I can not afford to pay for a rental car knowing that they will hold my car longer than needed as well as they can not seem to fix this problem...The Service center told the dealer to put me in another car...Because they can not fix the problem.....
    are you still having leak problems?
  • bobbigmacbobbigmac Member Posts: 1
    I have been reading your posts are the drain hose avaibile to be purchased? My car is out of warranty by time not milage.
    you don't need to replace the rear tubes they can be moved to accommodate
    they only need to be replaced if there is a physical problem with them, bent broken etc...
  • ajay5ajay5 Member Posts: 10
    My 06 coupe leaked more than once. The first time dealer said hose(sunroof drain) was loose. Second time it started leaking again the same time I got the repair campaign letter. It just started leaking again at 44,000 miles. I have the GMPP but the claim was denied because water leaks aren't covered. I was able to argue that the repair under the campaign must have been faulty and the service writer at my dealer got the repair covered. It was aggravating and I know if it leaks again they won't cover it.
    g m is tough to deal with after warranty. and the dealer doesn't want to eat the repairs. Especially with all the financial issues right now.
  • prayingforhelpprayingforhelp Member Posts: 2
    2005 PONTIAC G6 SUNROOF LEAKING WHEN IT RAIN OR WHEN I WASH MY CAR ON TOP OF THE SUNROOF CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WERE TO GO IM HERE IN FORTLAUDERDALE FLORIDA I OWN THECAR SINCE 6 MONTHS AND SUNROOF DOSENT EVEN OPEN THE LEAK IS REALLY BAD PLEASE HELP WHEN IT RAIN MY PASSENGER SIDE BE WET LIKE A PUDDLE AND MY BACK FLOOR AND WATER JUST BE LEAKING WHEN I COME TO A HARD STOP ON BRAKES PLEASE HELP ANYONE EVERYONE THANK YOU :cry::(
  • prayingforhelpprayingforhelp Member Posts: 2
    yea were are having the same problem just that its on my passenger side did you ever get any one to look at it i have 2005 pontiac g6
  • tricia14tricia14 Member Posts: 3
    I actually took my car to the dealership and it was one of the drains from the moonroof , when I took it in the mileage was under 36000 miles and was covered under warranty. Good luck!
  • auggiesdadauggiesdad Member Posts: 1
    My G6 has accumulated up to an inch of standing water on the floors of the back seat. The insulation under the seat was soaked as well. I was told it was a bad seal in the rear window but now I'll re-think it. Vent tube sounds easier to fix. I love the car otherwise but my wife won't even ride in it. I didn't get any kind of notice on it and trade in value is very low. I'll take the loss and trade it in.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I would get out if you can! Before you get buried deep in the silly problems.

Selling it would be worse than trading it, so trade it on a new car, I would stay away from a new pontiac! In fact, I would stay away from GM in general right now. Let them work their business out first. There are so many other cars that are not GM that would be so much fun! No car is perfect, but to have this going on, not acceptable!
    sunroof drain tubes are the culprit 90% of the time . the tubes are short in the front and have to much tension in the rears pulling the tube out of the outlet. gets them wet at the rear half glass area, seat belts , under the rear seat and carpets and eventually to the front .
  • blk06g6gtpblk06g6gtp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2 dr 06 G6 and I've noticed that after it rains my seatbelts get wet in the retainer. I'm not sure if it is the sunroof leaking or the seals along my door. I pulled the molding and the floor in the rear is wet and molding on both sides. I also pulled the seal up from the floor along the door and water ran out of it. My warranty has just expired and I want to know what is wrong and if I really need to take it in. I would appreciate any help.
  • jenntasticjenntastic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 G6 Sedan with no sunroof.

I park in my garage at home every night. I park in a parking garage every day at work.

It has NOT rained in a week and even if it had rained, I have no sun roof to leak.

Two days ago I mopped up standing water on the back passenger side floor board. There is no evidence of water or moisture anywhere else in the car. All other floors are dry. All seats are dry. All doors and seat belts are dry.

The water is obviously coming up from the floor, but how? And where? And why?

Anyone?
  • tricia14tricia14 Member Posts: 3
    My problem was definitely the sunroof drain. My car was an 05 and it was covered under the warranty because the mileage was under 36,000 miles at the time so check it out, call the GMC 800 number and they should be able to direct you on where to call in your area. Good luck!
  • gr0501gr0501 Member Posts: 1
    The problem is coming from the air conditioner drain it is backing up into your car and flowing to the back passenger floor board. There is a plug in the drain you need to replace it with a rubber boot you can get at the dealership they know all about this problem. the part costs $7.00. The drain is located on the firewall behind the metal shield under the car.
    has to be a/c drainage problem
  • chicagogal75chicagogal75 Member Posts: 2
    Yikes! We just had a ton of rain here in the Chicagoland area AND it's been very hot and humid. I just noticed tonight that I had a puddle of water on the floor in my back passenger side area. I thought maybe I left the window down a bit, but no evidence of that. Window was fully up. Thought maybe water bottle fell or something. Nope. No water bottle in sight. This A/C thing that others have posted has to be the problem. My car is almost at 50k miles now. A 2007 G6 sedan. Great. Guess I am screwed, unless I can find someone handy to fix it for me. Don't think I am buying a GM car next time. I think warranty or not, if a company builds something faulty, they should repair it. It's a problem and they need to fix it! Ugh!?
  • nlmahoneynlmahoney Member Posts: 1
    Your description is the same as mine. I have a 2008 g6. Took it to a garage, problem was noted as being a leak coming off the A/C evaporator. Not totally convinced yet problem is totally fixed. But i just ripped the carpet out of the passenger side of the car. Totally soaked FWD to AFT. I'm gonna keep an eye on it this week to see if what they did fixed the problem.
  • chicagogal75chicagogal75 Member Posts: 2
    So did anyone take their car in and figure out the issue? We lifted the backseat up and the padding is soaking wet underneath the seat? What the ????? Who built this car??? Why would they put water drain tubes towards the backseats? Luckily I have no kids - yet or anyone to ride in the backseat anyways but it's starting to smell back there. So for now, I am riding around with a shoebox prompt up my backseat. Yeah...real ghetto style like! Gggrrr.... I am hesitant to take it to dealer cuz its not under warranty anymore. I almost have 50,000 miles on it now. Should I take a hair dryer to it? It doesn't seem to be drying. My dealership told me there is no recall notice out on my car. Did some redneck GM employees put my car together and route the drainage pipes to the backseat as a joke!? I mean seriously!! Guess I can save myself a bath in the mornings...I can just bathe in my car on the way to work!
  • timberlytimberly Member Posts: 1
    I just had this same problem happen to me on my 2008 g6. The only reason I knew something was wrong was because my windows kept fogging up. I had my car into GM several times before my warranty expired and they said nothing was wrong (in fact, they told me that it was because my hair was wet) My car just hit 52,000 miles on it and is no longer under warrenty. I took the car in one last time and the figured out that the ac was draining back into the car. They tried to charge me $120 to partially dry the foam and carpet and seal the leak. I had to drive around for 3 days with my carpet up and airing out. Plus my car really stunk like mold. I let GM have it and they ended up not charging me for the repair. My advice is to call the GM Corp. office and file a complaint. They will listen!
  • 2005g62005g6 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 2005 and rain poured through the light by the rear view mirror then all was calm for a couple years later then last year we noticed the rear floor soaking wet. I had no idea what was going on until I found this site. I'll have to follow up with corporate, I agree they should have a recall after reading these posts! We've had the back carpet cleaned but it still smells and we do have a child. We're concerned about mold under the carpet on the padding. We're not sure how to pull the carpet up in the back seat, any tips? Thank you.
  • dlinerdliner Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2011
    Mine is also a 2005 G6 and I have read 100's of postings regarding the leaking sunroof or moonroof but yours is the only one I've read that sounds identical to how mine is leaking. Mine also poured down from the light by the rear view mirror. I have pulled the head liner down and by the time I got that far, I could see the drain tubes but are in a very tight area, I couldn't tell whether or not they were disconnected as I ran out of daylight, so I put it back together. The last rain, we vacuumed 8 gallons of water from the back passenger floor board. Seatbelts and seats were also damp. The moldy smell and the stained seats are terrible.I took mine to Classic Chevrolet in Arlington, TX and they kept it overnight claiming they ran water over the car and it never leaked. Famous saying from these idiots, if it doesn't do it while we have it, we don't know where the problem is. I'm curious if you have been able to fix yours since it seems to be identical to my leak and if so, what did you end up doing?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    dliner,

Could you please email me your VIN? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • dlinerdliner Member Posts: 6
    Caron,
    I sent the VIN to gmcustsvc
  • danine35danine35 Member Posts: 2
    About 1yr & 1/2 after I got the car (purchased brand new) it was raining and when I braked water came pouring in through the light by the rear view mirror, sunroof button and also along the passenger side down the front windshield inside the car - took the car in to have it checked and they said the drains from the sunroof were clogged. Then was fine for a couple years. Now, its not only leaking through the light again and down the windshield - my passenger backseat floor is soaked AND the front passenger floor - i don't know where the leak comes from in the back seat but in the front passenger - I can see it pour in from under the glove box near the passenger door - I have checked the door itself and its not coming in through the door and the seals but from under the glove box. So not sure what the problem is - and the car isn't under warranty (but when the drains were fixed the first time that wasn't covered by warranty which wasnt cheap.) - Obviously, this is a defect with the car - so why is this not a recall problem? And it should be fixed for free, cause since this has been "fixed" once before, it will probably cost even more this time around. - frustrating!
    danine35,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. The first time you had the vehicle fixed, was it fixed at a GM dealership?

Thank you,
  • danine35danine35 Member Posts: 2
    Caron,
    Yes, it was - took it where it was bought the first time (pontiac dealership...and since pontiac is no longer, its now a Kia dealership)
    danine35,

I would encourage you to take the vehicle in to a GM dealership. Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
  • brittni629brittni629 Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 with a sunroof leaks water from the front seat lights and the back seat lights, not only when it rains really hard, but also when I run it through a car wash! I took it to the dealership I bought it at and they said they couldn't find a leak at all! Its so annoying and with all the other problems I've had with this car and the other Pontiac G6 hardtop convertible, I'm not surprised that Pontiac wasn't selling any cars.
    brittni629,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Was the selling dealer a GM dealership?

Thank you,
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    edited June 2011
    Disconnected sun roof drain lines has been a problem, drain lines need to be reconnected. Maybe extension added, been reported too short.

If GM was smart they would recall for customer satisfaction, but.
  • mskrockmskrock Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,
    i bought my 05 G6 a year ago but am just now having this water problem. After a hard rain, the backseat passenger floor becomes wet, all other areas of the car feel dry. i noticed this about 2 weeks ago and yesterday i noticed a small puddle near the rear door after a late night storm. The windows were fully up and doors were closed (i've become paranoid since the first time this has happened). My problem sounds similar to the drainage of the a/c in previous posts. Does anyone agree with this or should i look elsewhere? i want to get this fixed before it becomes a bigger issue.
  • celtic_ladceltic_lad Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 sedan. We have water coming in around the switch for the sun roof and also it looks like it is coming in by the front passenger heater duct. Can both of these areas be from the sunroof drains, or is the one on the floor something else? We have not been running the A/C. I have already removed the hood cowl and everything under that was clear.
  • celtic_ladceltic_lad Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find information on how to repair this myself. The repair manual I have doesn't even make mention of the drains.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Google, lots there.
  • michaelamosh1michaelamosh1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I own a 2005 pontiac G6. The other day when i was leaving to go to work i noticed my front and back passenger side floor was flooded. I was told to check my drain tubes from the sun roof and one of them was disconnected. I reconnected it and everything was fine for my front passenger side floor. I had my A/C blasting on the floor to try to dry the carpet out more and when i got home i noticed that the back passenger side floor was even more wet than before. It has to be the A/C. Is there a way of fixing it without going to the dealership? I noticed alot of similar problems and someone said something about getting a rubber piece for the drain? can someone help me please! :cry::cry::cry:
    mskrock,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into your local dealership to be diagnosed? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • teddyj1teddyj1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 with water leaking through the moonroof controls and down the passenger door. I didn't know what it was until I googled it and found many others with the same problem. It seems like this has been happening since 2005. Why does it take so long for GM to fix a problem! Why is there no recall on this yet! American made garbage!!! :mad: