Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz GL450 Reliable?

Comments

• rickc1rickc1 Member Posts: 7
    Here is an update. We towed the car in and the dealer found that the power steering pump failed, reservoir was bad, and right front strut was leaking. We replaced the left front strut 2 years ago. We replaced the new stuff. Then when we got home from the dealer, the window switches flew off. We brought the car in again for new switches, and the service rep calls back. "We noticed now that your right REAR strut is leaking and needs replacement!" The struts have been replaced under extended warranty so I don't think they are trying to skin me. This car is a complete disaster. Run away as fast as you can from these POSs.
  • gregoryxgregoryx Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2012
    Believing the hype of Mercedes and finally able to purchase a luxury vehicle, I purchased a ml320 in 2002. The car initially was great but after 4 years began to be a money sinker .... Fast forward 7 years I attributed the expenses to bad luck and then bought my wife a cpo 2009 gl 320 bluetec. I tried to convince my wife to get thebaudi q7 or the x5 or my favorite - the Tahoe. She was fixated on the Benz so I bought it.
    2.5 years and 6100 of maintenance later I am about to sell this car and buy something, anything else. She is at dealer every other month for something. It is crazy. In comparison, I have BMW and no problems at all. I also owned an Acura rl - no problems. The Mercedes line is not good
  • lsv2lsv2 Member Posts: 1
    I have to say, I have found the GL to be not the best car Mercedes have built.
    I have owned a 2008 GL320 cdi 36000 miles, for 18 months. The engine uses 2 lts per 700 miles, mercedes assure me this is within parameters, it breathes through the oil filler, also within mercedes parameters, black exhaust deposits on rear bumper and tail pipes mercededs assure me this is also normal!. Dealer never mentioned it when I went to buy it, how strange!) |A front suspension strut has failed (Warranty work) associated suspension levelling problems returned to dealer with steering wander (warranty work). Self levelling sensor arms seized all round, now the tailgate latch has failed, to buy, with all discounts and self fit £188.00 All I wanted was a vehicle that would drive from service to service without lifting the bonnet. My Mitsubishi did it for 12 years. NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL.
  • frustratedinmdfrustratedinmd Member Posts: 2
    In 2010, we traded a 2005 Toyota Highlander for a 2007 MB GL 450; we traded at CARMAX and got a great deal on the trade. Additionally, it seemed the MB was a good deal, with only 26K miles on it at the time. We absolutely loved the MB at first...most important to us was room and comfort and it passed the ultimate test: a 1500 mile family road trip. The usual oil changes, periodic maintenance. In the last year, several things went wrong. As some previously mentioned, window mechanism switches; then, brake pads and rotors needed replacement; once or twice, it stalled while driving and explained by a mere bubble in the gas line. Some things, covered by the warranty, some not. Worth mentioning that the extended warranty expired in May this year. Three weeks ago, another instance of stalling. This time, the engine started right back up, but did not go into gear...neither reverse nor drive. I was towed to the nearest dealership and initially, the problem was described as a conductor plate sensor problem. Research discovered that this was/is a common problem. Two days later, described as a transmission problem that masked itself as a conductor plate problem. Not surprisingly, I am baffled that a 5-year old vehicle with less than 100K miles needs a transmission replacement. I am certain this doesn't happen to other vehicles of other makes. When I challenged the dealership, the onus was placed on me; that I did not have transmission service done on the vehicle and shouldn't expect relief from the balance due upon service completion. Copies of service and oil changes done on the vehicle were not sufficient. Given I don't have many choices, I requested a used or rebuilt transmission be found. The dealership did not find one to match and ordered a new one. I feel like my hands have been tied and am disappointed to be in this situation. After sinking so much money into this car, we will keep it and pray that nothing else happens to it. If so, we will certainly opt to take our losses and rid ourselves of this vehicle. Our next purchase will not be a MB; likely an Audi.
  • rmussel22rmussel22 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    I have the same problems with my 2008 GL 450. I have had suspension problems-one side replaced, dealer split the cost with me. New tires after 1 year. Engine light goes on and off at will. My a/c does the same thing and the mechanic can't seem to find the problem. How did they fix your a/c? I live in Texas and it is 100 degrees here and I never know when my a/c will kick in and out. Thanks for the help.
  • dsmilliedsmillie Member Posts: 1
    I agree completely.I'll never buy a Mercedes again.

i have spent many thousands of dollars fixing my 2007 GL and it still needs more work.

The power steering failed ($2200), the check engine light ($2200 for intake manifold and it didn't fix problem), the suspension is knocking, the transmission makes a terrible sound when going into gear.

If anyone organizes a class action suit please post it here.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    Just browsing this forum after being away several years. Not surprised to see posts that are similar to my experiences.
    2008 GL450 has had the following problems:
    - Power steering mechanism (something under the hood) - replaced under warranty a few years back
    - Steering fluid leaking - had to replace the entire Rack and Pinion system - ~$2,500
    - All four air shocks (when parked car would "fall" down on itself, then pump itself back up when running) - ~$2,000
    - Electronic console/nav/radio/etc. - ~$1,500
    - Ignition electronics (car failed to start) - $500
    - Now the steering column must be replaced - ~$2,200 (motor that raises/lowers malfunctioned so entire column must be replaced)

5 years, 75,000 miles on it, so the vehicle is not young but to have this amount of breakdowns to parts that shouldn't really ever break is inexcusable. I raised the issue with MBUSA and spoke to a case manager, but they are unwilling to do anything about it.

Unfortunate because aside from these problems, I love the vehicle. Despite the problems, I may get a 2013 because I can't find another vehicle in this size that has the same ride, handling, comfort, etc. Too bad the price to pay is unreliability. This time I will lease and let them pay for the repairs.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2012
    Wow, ~$8,200 in repairs over 5 years is pretty steep. Wonder how much an extended warranty costs and whether most of your work would have been excluded anyway if you had one.

Thanks for the report.
  • frustratedinmdfrustratedinmd Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Here I am again, 5 months since I posted my first message. This time, because my parking/emergency break handle broke off in my hand and the front passenger door actuator malfunctioned. The door actuator, $883 for parts and labor; the brake handle, $183. Oh and while they were at it, the dealership decided to tell me that my front brake pads and rotors should be replaced soon. Did I mention that they were changed/replaced a year ago? Additionally, power steering fluid is leaking and the reservoir needs replacing...$458; lastly and since the GL just went over 78K miles, the spark plugs needs changing...another $450. In (only)2 1/2 years of ownership, already $8K; by tomorrow at this time, another $1K. NO MORE. We WILL take our losses and on our way back from spending Christmas with family, plan to head to the Lexus dealership. I am so sorry for all those who have experienced these problems and sorry that instead of doing my homework, relied upon a product I thought had a good reputation, with above-average service and customer service departments. Boy, am I a fool!
  • sylvia14sylvia14 Member Posts: 1
    We just returned from Tahoe, minus our 450GL! WE had almost arrived to our destination a week ago when the GL starting slipping and sliding in the snow! Something totally failed...no 4 wheel drive or brakes and the car slid down a driveway...we are lucky no one was hurt. A few minutes later a sedan rear ended our car. WE had to have it towed back to the Bay area. Luckily we had 2 cars...our daughter's Subaru Forrester(which performed perfectly) saved our vacation. Now I am really worried about the repair costs that the insurance will surely not cover...since it looks like there a leak in the steering column, and who know what else. I don't think I will ever feel comfortable driving this car in the snow...it was terrifying!
    On another note...I have been blaming my poor husband...because the brake handle has broken on him twice!!! I thought he was pulling it too hard..but from other posts it sounds like a common problem. WE have maintained the car well, and I mainly drive it around town...SO I am pretty disappointed. ONe other thing...we seem to be replacing our expensive tires on a yearly basis! I miss my old Suburban!! Thanks for listening.
  • bleathermanbleatherman Member Posts: 2
    I had a GL 320 Diesel, what a great vehicle. Got to know my service advisor really well. 16 warranty claims. I got it fixed for good! Bought an Audi Q7. I will give the MB praise for riding/handling like a sportscar. The Audi is a bit more barge like, but in every other category the Audi out performs the MB. Google Earth gps dusts the MB dinosaur. Interior comfort for adults is better even though the third row seat is smaller. Dash is like a jet airplane. Handled a great ski trip to NC a week ago and this car handled a totally iced over road that was really steep. Very happy with the newer car. Let's see if it falls apart at 50k like the mB.
  • iringa026iringa026 Member Posts: 1
    I am in Tanzania, East Africa. I am considering to import Merc GL 2013 or a Landcruiser VX 200? Which one? Need advice
    i purchased a 2009 CPO GL 320 in 2011 and have spent approx 7000 on various repairs, including scheduled maintenance and i purchased extended warranty. i don't mind spending moneyon the scheduled maintenance but it's the unscheduled maintenance that bothers me.

by comparison i have a bmw and the only time i've ever been to the dealer is for the scheduled maintenance.

last week - after a $400 B service 2 weeks prior, my wife had the serpentine belt AND the power steering pump belt disintegrate while driving. she lost the ability to easily steer and lost ALL power to the vehicle. thank God she was able to glide into a service station. i will spare you the back story of deciding not to drive her vehicle on a family vacation over the holiday etc but suffice to say that we could have been driving in a winter snowstorm through the west virginia mountains and had the car fail. the service advisor tells me that they don't know how it happened but the belts failed becuse the pulley harness melted which caused the belts to get loose and ultimately fall apart and tear up under the hood. by the way, the b service includes an inspection of the entire assembly and belts etc. i have extended warranty and the repair is covered but i am not fearful of my wife driving it again.

has anyone else heard of this???
  • mygl450isjunkmygl450isjunk Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    GL450 is unreliable and has poor quality from my experience.

I own a Mercedes Benz 2012 GL450, I bought it new. it is at 27000 miles now.

My GL450 has so many problems. suspension noises for left and right sides, radios turns on by itself, excessive dust on front wheel, car suddenly level up when parked sometimes.. it has been in the shop back and forth at least 4 times, around 3 weeks time in the shop. Rental car guys know me personally because I have been there so many times. I finally got my car back today, suspension noises are gone finally (after at least 3 times trying), but new problem showed up, I can't start it with first try. For one time, I tried at least five times in my garage today. It is scary !!! especially for a one year old car and I am disappointed considering I bought it over $70k and it is a Mercedes !

I tried to work with Mercedes Benz customer service and dealership. Here are their responses.

Mercedes Benz customer service: Mercedes offers little help and very arrogant, manager told me "you car is still drivable", they don't care about customer satisfaction as they claimed.

Dealership: they try to sell me a new GL450 2013 at MSRP. Good job dealership, take advantage of your customer who needs help and still thinking make money from your customer with a lemon car.
  • texasrangerstexasrangers Member Posts: 2
    I am going to start this by copying the information that I sent to the Nevada DMW and to Mercedes corporate as well as the dealership. Mercedes WILL NOT respond to our complaints and neither will the dealership. Here is a background on this terrible car that is a big waste of money!
    We purchased the vehicle on December 3, 2011. On December 20, 2011, with only 648 miles on the vehicle, the vehicle had to be towed out of our garage due to an issue with the transmission. The transmission gave out. Had to be reassembled.
    On May 2, 2012, with 4,280 miles on the vehicle, we brought it in because of a terrible moldy, wet smell coming from the air vents. The air filter was removed, replaced and “Frigi-Fresh” was put into the blowers. The AC system was also revitalized. The smell came back within two days. The dealership did not fix this problem.
    On June 15, 2012, with 5,791 miles on the vehicle, a warning light became illuminated. There as an internal short which indicated a problem with the airmatic system. This problem was fixed by the dealership by replacing the airmatic pump, relay and fuse. The moldy, wet smell coming from the air vents was also addressed on this visit. The service department noticed the smell as well. The service department performed a cleaning on the system again as per the RO. On this same service date, we indicated to you we heard a popping sound when making sharp turns. You verified that there was a problem with the left front steering knuckle and bearing assembly. The part was ordered and the dealership fixed this problem.
    On July 23, 2012, with 6,707 miles on the vehicle, we brought in the vehicle due to the moldy, “rotten gym bag” smell . The service department verified our concern again and opened a case. Along with the FTS, the service department performed various tasks including odor evaluations and turning the AC to max and then leaving car in sun for one hour. The RO indicates the service department still found a smell. The dealership did not fix this problem.
    On August 24, 2012, with 7,600 miles on the vehicle, we brought he vehicle back to the service department for the smell of mold or a “rotten smell” . The service department performed a “Wynns Fresh Air Cleaning Treatment”. The smell came back by the next day thus, the dealership did not fix this problem.
    The bottom line is the dealership is simply putting a Band-Aid on the problem each time we go in for the mold smell in the vents. We have been told many things, namely- all cars do this so it is ok, turn off your AC 5 minutes before you go home (who wants to do that when it is 100 degrees outside). The dealership has also told us that the hot weather is to blame. Well, the first date we brought the car in with the smell was on May 2, 2012, where the mean temperature of the day was 57.5 degrees Fahrenheit. The second time we brought the vehicle in was on June 15, 2012, and the mean temperature was only 75.5. And, how can you compare a Honda to a Mercedes by the manager telling us that his Honda smells too. We paid $84,000 for this vehicle and we expect more than a Honda.
    My husband is understandably very upset. The dealership and Mercedes corporate has not fixed the problem. You, the dealership, has also treated us like second-class citizens. Our concerns and feelings have never been validated. The upper-management has never communicated with us nor acted as a liaison for us with Mercedes corporate. This entire experience has been demeaning and rude. We really expect a lot more when you pay that much for a car. You act like you sell $84,000 cars all day long. My husband works hard for his money and although the car payment is well within our monthly budget, we feel like we are wasting some $1400 a month on nothing but problems.
    We did not want to get out of our lease, we did not want a new car. We wanted you to simply fix the problem. But, the service manager has told us to get an attorney and that the problem will never be fixed. That is very sad, in my opinion, that an employee tells you to get an attorney; that is very low class. Thus, the problem will not be fixed. The dealership told us you would work on doing something for us- i.e. a new car, but the dealership had the service manager call and tell us the dealership would do nothing.
    Mercedes corporate sent my husband a letter indicating they would not buy back our car. In fact, this was not what we asked for- we asked for you to fix the problem. You did not address the issue of the car not getting fixed. Again, putting a Band-Aid on the problem does not solve the problem. My husband said that if you didn’t fix the problem, then buy back the car. You only addressed the issue of buying back the car. We were also assigned a case manager named Lois who never followed up with my husband and instead only referred him to a manager who would be in charge of deciding upon a buy-back. Again, why wouldn’t Mercedes figure out a way to fix the problem?
    We are just dumb-founded. You would think that spending a lot of money would get you different treatment. This must NOT be how Mercedes operates. You spend that kind of money because you expect to be treated better than average. Again, we work hard for our money. We are very sad and disappointed neither Mercedes corporate nor Mercedes of Reno will fix the problem of the mold smell coming through the vents. Why can’t you help us? Why can’t you do something to permanently fix the problem? That is what we are asking.

We are now going to explore a class action lawsuit. Looking for others with this problem. My mom's 2012 ML350 is having the same problem.
  • joefixesjoefixes Member Posts: 1
    I am sorry for all of you GL owners with problems with your expensive vehicle. I simply came here looking for information about the GL450 as I was considering purchasing one. I am going through a nightmare of a problem with my Honda Pilot and was hoping to replace it. I was going to purchase a CPO GL450. Wow....am I glad I spent some time looking into it! I'm certain that this is a wonderful car, but with so many people having so many similar problems, I would be a fool to stand in line to make this purchase.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and helping me to make an informed decision.
  • duck302duck302 Member Posts: 1
    Ha, I have a 2012 GL450 with 23K. Parked it in the garage and noticed the windshield washer lever was really hot and an electrical smell was present. Turned it off and went inside. About an hour later I tried to start the car and it would not crank. The interior lights still work, the headlights are dim, it will not come out of park. Thank goodness for warranties.
  • tom380tom380 Member Posts: 1
    2007 GL 450......cost 70k..........80k miles........transmission replaced at 40k $7500......check engine light this week, timing chain $5000 ?..........3 sets of tires.......numerous brake jobs......paint peeling on window trim........this is a pile of junk!!!! don't buy one...
  • csnlitteltoncsnlittelton Member Posts: 1
    My friend and I just returned from a similar experience. It took us 2 hours to get 2.5 miles due to complete loss of brakes, no 4 wheel drive. My GL450 slid all the way down a hill and if there had not been snow banks on the side we would have gone off a cliff. I thought the vehicle had stalled. I finally got control and within a few seconds it happened again.

I live in Colorado and have driven in all types of conditions with other SUVs and have never in my life had anything like this happen. I am getting rid of this 2012 GL450!!!!!!!!!
  • toodumbtoodumb Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a diesel sedan. When MB announced that their new E280 was being offered with a diesel, it went to top of my shopping list, for about 5 minutes.

Then, I remembered my 2007 GL450 experience. Other than the engine catching on fire, I've had most of the issues listed on this site. MB certainly knows about the problems and have done an excellent job of alienating customers who have purchasing multiple vehicles from them.

Never again!
  • mbk1mbk1 Member Posts: 2
    Reading your story Steve, makes me want to cry. We too have had all the problems with our gl over the years and unfortunately have a love hate relationship with the car. Just got the word that the "clunk" I have been hearing, is the steering rack actually coming away from the car!!! The part will be 1900.00 and with labor will be almost $3,000.00 to have fixed. UNBELIEVABLE
    This expensive car has had the most problems in a car we have EVER owned. Any word back from the MB corp on your problems....sounds like a design flaw to be sure.
  • raidersfan11raidersfan11 Member Posts: 1
    I agree we have had the same issue with the shock only it burnt out the compressor motor -$5000 repair. We have had the doors in for not locking, not unlocking breaking handle. I agree this SUV is a total POS!!! Never buying MB crap again. German engineering = complication without purpose that breaks all the time!!!!
  • gl450_2011gl450_2011 Member Posts: 2
    I actually own both Pilot and GL450. I absolutely love them both! Not sure why you are having so many issues with two of the most reliable SUV's on the market! (By Car & Driver) bad luck perhaps (>.<)
  • gl450_2011gl450_2011 Member Posts: 2
    I went through three generations of GL's. 2007, 2009 and 2011. I have not spent a penny other than putting gas in it! Perhaps the problems are related to the dealership? I highly recommend Helms Brother for your next car (^.^)
  • mbk1mbk1 Member Posts: 2
    So happy that some owners are! After reading this whole forum, you might note that a lot of owners of 2007 & 2008 (like me) GL's are all dealing with similar issues. I'm only glad mine has not burst into flames like some of the others! And btw, I do like this car, for so many other reasons. But when we originally spent all this $, I didnt think it would be a car that would have issues like this.
  • chris218chris218 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2007 GL450. When I removed the key from the ignition today, the alarm went off. As soon as I put the key back in the ignition the alarm stops. I have tried this with both keys and get the same results. Hoping someone can offer a potential fix.....thanks
  • sjlmsjlm Member Posts: 3
    My 2011 GL450 is 3 yrs old w/ 24,000 mi. I've had no problems until now. AC works fine on short trips. After about 11/2 - 2 hrs. it stops blowing & stops cooling. On 2 long trips I shut it for 5-10 mins. & then the fan worked some and air was somewhat cool for 5-10 mins. (Not blowing enough and not really cold.) Repeated that for 5 hrs on one trip, 2 hrs on another. 88-92 degrees out -- not fun. Brought it into the dealership in between the 2 trips. Of course, it was working when I brought it in, and they found nothing. Any ideas? rcf8000 what did your dealer do about your AC problem?
  • eweneek1eweneek1 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone able to explain how to adjust the sound on the back up sensor on the 2013 GL450? Complained to the dealer and now there is no sound from the front or rear sensors.
  • biglinbiglin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 ML350..car just made it to 106000...had to change the AC compressor that was about 700.00.. a local family business Mercedes shop did the work..i never take the car to the dealer..for this AC compressor job and yes we called they wanted 2000.00 to do it...thx but no thx..we also have that musty smell coming from the vents..we've tried new air filters and spray..they are lying about other cars having the same problem..i even tried dryer cloth which worked for a while..and then yes the smell came back...if you guys need another name for your lawsuit..IM IN..this ridiculous..Mercedes know that this is a problem and will not address it..If I had known about the smell that salesman would have been very unhappy that day..no sale for him..
    Brought it to a different dealer after the second trip. (Talked to MB USA who said they would contact dealer before I brought the car in.) They replaced the blower motor. On a 4-hour trip AC worked. Don't know whether they fixed it or it worked b/c the outside temp never reached 80. Just ordered a 2014 GL 450 b/c this is the only problem I've had with 2 of them.
  • mjdietermjdieter Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 GL450 is having the exact issues with the AC that you are explaining (no air after 1 1/2 - 2 hours of driving in 90 plus degree heat). I have dealt with MB for two years trying to fix this. We have had the car in for service over 5 times and the dealer service department with the help of MB USA have done nothing to fix it because it doesn't produce an error code. Were you able to get any resolution to your issue?? BTW, MB USA is stating that no one else in the country is having an air conditioner issue that I'm experiencing.
    Well, we now know there are at least two of us! I don't know whether changing the blower motor fixed the problem b/c it was only around 80 degrees during the only long trip I've taken afterwards. The AC worked on that trip. But I was at least satisfied that the dealer tried to do something instead of nothing b/c they had no code telling them what to do. There was a time when mechanics could fix AC w/o having any codes! Good luck.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hello,
    I own a 2003 M-Class that I bought new and it has been free of any serious maintenance issues per se. The only out of the ordinary issues were:
    1) Transmission lines were leaky and replaced under warranty
    2) I happened to leave the moonroof open during light rain and that shorted the electricals - I had to get a switch panel for the window glass etc... in the middle - Granted it was my fault but this has never happened in my Honda S2K, Solara drop top or Lotus Elise when I have been drenched, driving into sudden rain top down.
    3) Just a few K miles ago, the rear differential was acting up and got addressed by my friendly neighborhood mechanic (NOT the dealer)

As you may be aware, the M class was wrought with problems between 1998 and 2002 and they turned around in 2003... Truck just hit 106K and I am thinking of moving up to the GL.

But the threads I see in the forum genuinely scare me. Is it a safe bet to go with 2013 or beyond? I see a significant drop in issues reported since MY 2013. or is it just a crap shoot?
    Your thoughts?
    Cheers!
    --njexpress
  • lee1129lee1129 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 gl450. I bought it in 2010 with 48k miles. Now has 130k miles. Always serviced at a MB dealer. All service done as scheduled. Big issue is the AIRMATIC... Since 2010, we have replaced the AIRMATIC on ALL 4 WHEELS... the front driver side was replaced TWICE and now the front passenger side is broken for the second time. Each time we fix the AIRMATIC costs over $1000.
    .. Has anyone had a similar issue with the AIRMATIC? Something tells me that having to replace the AIRMATIC this many times has to be a defect in the vehicle... Are there any lawsuits or recall efforts out there? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thx
    edited September 2013
    Did you open up a case with Mercedes?

How to Effectively Complain about your Car Problem may help.
    don't do it. there are so many other options available. why take the risk with a $60k plus vehicle. i researched the alternatives pretty well and suggest the audi q7 or a good old american tahoe . . .
    more recently the buick and the bmw have come out with good options.

do not take the risk. too much information out there

i've had a M class 2002 which lasted pretty good until last couple of years when it became a constant expense and now i have a GL that i bought for my wife which has more yellow/warning lights than any other car i've ever purchased
  • lee1129lee1129 Member Posts: 2
    No. I have not. Do I do that with MB corporate or the local MB dealer? Thx
    edited September 2013
    I'd try contacting Mercedes customer service and explain the recurring issues and ask them if they can look into it.

Maybe there's a Secret Warranty on the suspension.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Thank you, Gregory!!
    I have eliminated the GL totally. It even sounds like the 2012/13 LR4 is far more reliable than the GL. You are right, too much bad info out there to pull the trigger.
    I have narrowed down my options to wait a while and see if:
    1) the 2015 Audi redesign is worth the wait after more pics emerge or
    2) Wait till the 2015 q7 arrives and go buy a 2013/14 Q7 and save myself the depreciation
    3) Swallow the looks of teeh 2014 Lexus GX and get it for reliability reasons or
    4) Given the window of time I have, continue to research the 2012/13 Landrover LR4.

I wish you the very best with the Missus's GL.

Thank you again!!
    Cheers!
    --njexpress
  • mabruteammabruteam Member Posts: 4
    Mine is a 2008, gl320 now with 108K miles, the only issue now is a clicking sound sometimes at 80 MPH inside the dash, driver side, car is still like new, love my car.
    Problems all got repaired by Mercedes before 50K miles: steering leak, oil cooler leak, DPF sensor. if this GL will last as long as one of our 2008 Sprinter, with now 487K miles (same engine) will be wonderful. Love mercedes
    1980 300D sold
    1983 240D sold
    1983 SD300 sold, my best car ever
    1984 300D sold
    1995 e320 wagon 175K still with us
    2002 S430 sold 139K miles
    2003 SL500 40K miles our baby since new
    2004 C320 wagon 89K still with us
    2006 R350 sold 70K miles
    2008 Sprinter 487K miles Work
    2008 GL320 108K miles love this car
    2009 sprinter 22 K miles Work
    2009 C300 wife gone lease 40K
    2010 sprinter 14K miles work
    2011 GLK wife 30K miles perfect

My secret is to choose the right Mechanic... I spend less money on all those mercedes to keep them on the road than one of our service vehicles Ford E350 6.0 Powertroke with just 100K miles...

• mabruteammabruteam Member Posts: 4
    Now my gl320 with almost 110K miles started having air conditioning problems, very cold for days but sometimes will stop working for few minutes... today after few months stop cooling, I was researching for the real problem, my freon gauges were showing that the compressor was trying to start but will stop after just 5 PSI movement, charge was perfect, dealer added freon just to make sure when this problem started, I will be replacing the compressor and drier, ebay Denso cost around $450, mercedes dealer is asking around $2100!! lucky me I am a HVAC contractor.
  • chunachuna Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Hi, i was just searching for similar problems with a gl 450 which is what i currently have, mine is a GL 450 2012, i am leasing for 3 years, 2 more to go cant wait to get rid of it. i have had hesitation problems and back and forth to the dealer, they decided to let me swap with another Mbenz, then without an explanation they rescinded the offer and all they say was that "the way the vehicle drives is a characteristic and is how it was designed"..pretty much they are not willing to do anything. This issue has been going on since March of this year, many emails, phone calls to customer assistance care (CAC) what a joke they are, trips to the dealership bottom line they havent done anything. i feel your frustration regarding how management customer care for such a prestige company like Mbenz can care less for their customers, this is my second car with them and believe me the last one same for my family. After spending about 80K you expect to drive a car without issues and be able to have someone from management address and listen to your concerns, and not just have you go thru the 1-800 #. Hesitation/delays is dangerous when you have the right to go and your car wont respond or after a yield sign or if you need to merge into a highway or street. They have been given us the run around. Lastly they send a letter offering about 3000$ for the inconvenience, and we can use it towards a purchase of a new GL, and is valid for one year, HELLO..i already have one MB that I want to get rid of, and secondly my lease is not up until 2015... I felt insulted, and looks like they had no clue about what they were writing. i am still pursuing my case. Good luck everyone.
  • texasrangerstexasrangers Member Posts: 2
    We traded the GL550 in for a Lexus RX450 hybrid.
    Took a $20k loss so we could break free from this lemon. We are so much happier! Mercedes is worst product on the planet and doesn't stand by product!
    Never buy again! We LOVE our new Lexus!
  • myposgl320myposgl320 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

2009 GL320 Nothing but a piece of [non-permissible content removed]!!! Need to visit the repair shop every two months. Had to replace the Heating Element for Hi-Def Fluid $1382, Engine oil coolant leaking $1200. Airmatic suspension replaced under warranty both sides. Power Steering failed under warranty. There are also other issues, dealer cannot seem to find out the source of the problem. Spending $82K on this SUV is not worth it. I DON"T RECOMMEND BUYING ANOTHER MERCEDES AT ALL. POORLY ENGINEER... "The Best or Nothing" Thats [non-permissible content removed] joke!!!!

• myposgl320myposgl320 Member Posts: 2

The funny thing about the GL320/GL450/GL550 hardly any recall on this vehnicle. Let me know if there is a class action lawsuit on this POS...

• lovecarsnylovecarsny Member Posts: 1

Mercedes Benz 2008 GL450 ISSUES!!

When the GL450 first came out, we leased it and frankly did not have any issues. About 3 years ago, we purchased a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) 2008 GL450 with about 30,000 miles or so on it. The car truly was a dream until it hit exactly 70,000 miles and then suspension issue after suspension issue. Someone in the thread hit it right on the head, the dealer only goes by error codes and this car does not give error codes. I'll skip the boring details, but the car has always been serviced by the same dealer I purchased it from and they always made me feel I'm crazy as the car never dropped when they had it. They even kept it for a week and it didn't drop. Well, it dropped when I got it back and I took a cell phone video and showed them and they changed the air ride suspension and struts. Now, just today I'm driving and I have the heat at full blast as my windows were fogging up and the blower isn't working. With all of these issues, I've spoken to the dealer and they claim my experience and issues are ONLY occuring with my vehicle, clearly they need to read this forum. I love this car, but I'll never purchased a used Mercedes, too many issues. I'm just thankful I purchased the extended warranty on it.

• cm8112cm8112 Member Posts: 1

We purchased a brand new 2010 Mercedes-Benz GL450. Fully Loaded, including entertainment and towing packages. In January 2014 our problems started. The car had just a little over 60K miles. Airmatics were gone, one after another within days. One of them even blew up. 4 Electrical problems, including radio, and door locks. All repairs costed more than $4,500 within 6 months, and it continued until we had enough. It just started to fall apart after 60K miles. I gave it away for $26K. Lost almost 50 grand in 4 years. I was lucky with that history of repairs. Do yourself a favor get a Japanese car. Our time, hard earned money and peace of mind are valuable. Stay away of this car and brand.

Ouch. :'(

• danihellzdanihellz Member Posts: 1

I'm so glad I got to read this now.
    I was going to trade in my 2011 328xi Wagon (which is with 50k miles and never gave me any problem besides replacing light bulbs once in a while) for a GL.

I just changed my mind, thanks for the feedback!

• trans400trans400 Member Posts: 1
    17k miles on 2014 GL550 with the only repair work done outside of regular maintenance is replacing a front half-shaft due to a leak and replacing the steering column due to a failure in the tilt mechanism. Just returned from a ski trip and the GL is great in the light snow, rain and icy conditions we experienced on this trip. This is a heavy, powerful vehicle with the industries best 4WD which may inspire others to attempt tackling conditions beyond the capabilities of the street wheels and all-season tires outfitted on these trucks. A set of winter wheels and tires would make this on-par with the best AWD/4WD out there. The air suspension provides for the best-in-class ride but that comes at a price when the struts wear out as all suspension parts do. These air-ride components are extremely expensive, but one can save costs by purchasing quality after-market components from Arnott Industries at a significant savings. The air-matic suspension hydraulics use a similar fluid to brake fluid, which is hygroscopic (attracts water), and will cause these systems to fail due to corrosion and fluid breakdown. Whereas Mercedes recommends brake fluid flush every two years for this reason, there is no factory recommendation for changing the fluid and filter on the air-matic which leads to premature system failures. This may be due to the high cost of flushing the fluid and filter changes at the dealership as this requires individual suspension articulation on a "rodeo machine" to flush the fluid completely and costs about $600. Mercedes may have figured $600 every two years or $2500 to begin replacing failed components after 6-8 years is a wash so they do not recommend any maintenance on this system. There is some strong discussions on Mercedes owner forums about this topic and how the DIY can be done for under $100 making fluid changes a much more practical maintenance. Keep in mind that the GL costs $80-$100k new because of all of this technology, so when you pickup a used model for $30-$50k, you are still maintaining a $100k vehicle and will need to brake open the wallet much wider than for a $40k new SUV. What you get in return is a world-class SUV, one your friends and family will envy, and something that comfortably and safely transports your family for many years if properly maintained.