Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Sheetmetal Rust

jmshvacjmshvac Member Posts: 1
Just curious, My F250 was just out of it's 5yr warr.
Iv'e noticed what I thought was just a tack weld loosing it's paint before the warranty expired. I took the truck back to the dealer and they informed me that the truck was two months out of its warr.and could do nothing. Now a year later both rear fenders are rusting from the inside out and I noticed other Ford doing the same. With the newer galvinized metals thsi should not be happining this soon. Does any one else have this problem and so did Ford own up to it. What recourses do I have? Thanks.

Comments

• jyztoyjyztoy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F250 also. I have the same thing happening. I thought I heard a while back that the steel ford is using is only galvanizes on one side so they could get the paint to stay on. Not sure how true it is though.
  • toddh4toddh4 Member Posts: 1
    yep same thing her 2002 f 250 rusting over rear wheel pass. side thus far.
  • 428scj428scj Member Posts: 1
    i had a 99 f350 s.d. that i sold because of the box that rotted in the wheel wells too i worked at the time at a ford store and had the rep look at the truck i was also just out by one month and was told no. i still have a 94 lightning that has not seen snow and the wheel well are rusty on it with only 80k. my 92 f150 4x4 rotted in the same way.
    i still have my 2001 f250 and the box is rusting again no help just out of warranty.
    i did call ford and they said i could trade it in for a new one!!! why so in a few year i can replace the box sides or get an other truck.I was a service manager for three ford dealers for over 20 years, but i'm not happy that i have to buy a new box or a part of qrts for two of them. don't get me wrong i have ford blue blood with 4 mustangs,two trucks and an exploder. just rubs me the wrong way with the same concern year after year.
  • jpsjrjpsjr Member Posts: 1
    MY FORD F250 HD 4 WHEEL DR. EXT CAB 8 FT BED IS RUSTING AWAY. WHEEL WELLS FIRST NOW THE BACK OF THE CAB . STARTS WITH BLISTERING PAINT FROM THE INSIDE OUT. THE DEALER TOLD ME I WAS 2 MONTHS OUT OF WARRANTY SO IT WAS MY PROBLEM , I TOLD HIM FORD WAS PUSHING ME TO CHEVY , HE TOLD ME THAT WAS OK BECAUSE THEY SOLD CHEVYS TOO. IT WAS HARD NOT TO DECK THE GUY ( I GUESS THATS THE NEW CUSTOMER SERVICE) . i bought this truck new , it was not cheap ,just cheaply made). I HAVE A 1957 T-BIRD THAT HAS NO RUST ITS ABOUT 95% RIGHT , BUT THIS F 250 IS MY LAST FORD . I HAVE HAD FORDS SINCE 1963 BUT NO MORE. TODAY GM WENT INTO BANKRUPTCY , I HOPE FORD FOLLOWS AND THE GOV. KEEPS ITS NOSE OUT OF IT. THEY HAVE BEEN STICKING IT TO US FOR YEARS LETS GIVE IT BACK. I LOVE THE TRUCK BUT LOOKS LIKE I WILL NEED A LOT OF BODY FILLER , MAY AS WELL BUY SOME STOCK IN BODY FILLER WHILE I'M AT IT , I HAVE SEEN A LOT OF 2002 F250s THAT ARE THE SAME AS MINE SO THE STOCK HAS TO GO UP. I GUESS YOU COULD SAY I'M JUST A LITTLE BITTER.
  • angry77angry77 Member Posts: 1
    my truck is doing the same as all of your trucks. i bought my truck brand new in 03 waxed it twice a year and i have a hole the size of a quarter on my pass side up above the rear wheel and getting worse. the paint is bubbling on my drivers side rite above the drivers rear wheel ..when i called ford they told me sorry sir there's nothing we can do.anybody got any idea's???
  • ffrmp177ffrmp177 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 F-150 Crew Lar. Both front doors rusted...front rocker panels rusted completely through...(large holes)... The truck was taken care of...Polished 3 times a years...Tried getting warranty from Ford with 76,000 miles (3 years ago)..They told me the warranty was up at 75,000... "like the rust just started 1000 miles ago...I have been a Ford customer for 15 years...i will NEVER buy another Ford....They have lost me as a customer for LIFE....
  • ffrmp177ffrmp177 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 F-150 Crew Lar. Both front doors rusted...front rocker panels rusted completely through...(large holes)... The truck was taken care of...Polished 3 times a years...Tried getting warranty from Ford with 76,000 miles (3 years ago)..They told me the warranty was up at 75,000... "like the rust just started 1000 miles ago...I have been a Ford customer for 15 years...i will NEVER buy another Ford....They have lost me as a customer for LIFE...
  • blueoval02blueoval02 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    I have a 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty, dark blue in color. I bought the truck brand new and am having the same issue. I have kept the truck in pristine condition and the paint around the rear wheel wells has started popping. I have noticed the same thing with trucks the same year as mine and as new as 2006. Before this one, I had a 1992 Ford F-150 that I kept for ten years and not once had this type of issue with it. I have always been a hardcore Ford believer, but I am starting to rethink my devotion. It is ashame that you pay this much for a truck and then have to shell out even more money because of a default in manufactoring. What happened to American made products?
  • gnu1gnu1 Member Posts: 1
    i, and most other owners of the f250's have the same rust problems on the wheel wells. obviously a manufacture problem. with bill ford and mulahly(sp?) promising high quality in ads, this total line failure sure shows that they really are not paying attention to quality. this will reflect badly on future sales as our vehicles on the road will show ford does not really pay attention to quality.
  • snowman217snowman217 Member Posts: 2
    I have A 2005 F 250 and It also started rusting just after 5 years. I also contacted ford with no satisfaction.I started with the dealership and since they did not have A body shop they did not even record my problem in the system. I then called and emailed ford they said they understood my frustration but there was nothing they could do. I agree that ford is not concerned about quality and do not appreciate their customers. When ford refused to take money from the government that was great but after A
    truck's warranty run's out they quit caring about their customers. it is obvious ford is like most other companies now A day Customer Service means nothing. other problem's I have had with my truck, before it had 40 miles the transmission burnt up (they did fix that but only because it burnt completely up) the overhead compartment broke at 2 yrs,the heated seat quit working at 4yrs,at 5yrs 3 months it I noticed rust bubbles on both rear wheelwells and cab corners' and the latest at 6yrs and 2 months the drivers seat seatbelt latch broke
  • ron083ron083 Member Posts: 1
    Just alittle FYI, I too have a Ford F350 SD with rotting rear panels, I took my truck to a good body shop and I was told that Ford installed foam tape between the fender walls and the side panel in all their Super Duty Vehicals, This was done to provide noise reduction. The down side to this is that the foam rubber absorbs moisture and road grit into it and over time wears down the protective coatings on the metal fenders which over time causes this rust problem. So now with alittle more knowledge I am in the process of getting a new bed for my truck. I was told by the body shop to get the new bed, and power wash the hell out of the bottom side of it, Once this is done find a nice dry place to store it for a couple weeks. After the bed has dried thoroughly Spray the entire underside of the bed including the problem area I spoke of above with either a bed liner or a really good undercoating. This should seal this area and prevent the rust issue. Now if only they would fix the Slide pins on their caliper brake design so they don't sieze and cause pre-mature brake wear. :sick:
  • amberbockamberbock Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 F250 super duty that has started rusting on the fenders and bumpers, took it to the dealer who stated my warrenty had expired by 2 months. Wrote to ford who said that it was to bad. Will never buy another ford.
  • hammermawlhammermawl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 F 350 Crew Cab Lariat with the same problem I am heading to the dealer next week who I have bought 3 previous vehicles from.

I will let you know what happens!

Stay safe,

HMA
  • pzavellpzavell Member Posts: 1
    Very frustrated. I have an 05 Super Duty and both my rear wells are almost totally gone. I wrote to Ford knowing nothing would be done but just wanted to let them know that I have currently 3 Ford trucks, one personal and 2 for my business and I am done with them. I am looking forward to receiving my Ram 1500 this week and if I can figure out what to do with this rusted out bed on my 250 I'm getting rid of it as well. Try and find a bed out there. They are around $2500 give or take and then I have to paint it or they are in need of a lot of work and are located very far away and the shipping costs are outrageous. I have no idea what to do with this piece of crap and I am so done with Ford. Body shops are telling me $2400 give or take to repair but don't recommend repairing because it will just come back. Does anyone have any legal suggestions out there.