Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

what is it worth

sgleavesgleave Member Posts: 1
I would like to know what a 72' malibu is worth.
It has a V-8 307, automatic 4-door, 55,000 original
miles with one owner.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Probably about $3,000-3,500 if it's really nice. A true show car could go somewhat higher, but $4K is about it. Any scratches or dents or repairs needed should be deducted from that.
  • mavrckmavrck Member Posts: 5
    Any opinions on the value of a '73 Maverick Grabber?

1 owner, 80K, auto, V8.
    Excellent exterior, good interior.
    These cars don't seem to have any collectible value at this time, so something under $2,000 according to Kelley Blue Book Early Car Edition.
  • cobra98cobra98 Member Posts: 76
    Mr_Shiftright: Was it you on the previous Edmund bulleting boards that was participating in the Fiero discussion? If so, here's one you'll like. There's a specialty used car dealership on the way into work that sells Porsches, BMW, Jaguars, etc... Well I noticed last week they had a Fiero (and they still do). It's not the base, but I don't know if it's a GT or the Formula. I can only hope it's an '88 (last year). But anyhow, they are asking $6,900 for it! Talk about one born every day.... I think they'd be lucky to get close to half of that...
    Well, maybe if it were the last year 6 cylinder with the 5-speed trans and it was absolutely museum-grade, drop dead beautiful, they may get somewhere like that price--but without those options, not likely a 4 cylinder automatic would move at that price...the older stripper models are practically a sale-proof car.
    Just a regular two door hardtop? Maybe $3,000-3,500 or so for a clean daily driver....if it was an SS, possibly up to $1,000 more in the condition noted...for any dents, torn upholstery or mechanical problems, deduct accordingly.

If this is a convertible, the value doubles at least.
  • cmeehancmeehan Member Posts: 2
    it's a regular impala, not an SS or convertible
    thanks for the information....
  • moorgammoorgam Member Posts: 2
    Please tell me what a 1965 Impala, one owner, v-8 after market air would be worth. I don't want someone to take advantage of my ignorance now that my husband has died. Thanks.
    Dear moorgam,

Your question has been answered in your previous post, but briefly, if it is really in outstanding condition, anywhere from $3,500 to $5,000. Deduct accordingly for dents, faded paint, rust, bad upholstery, etc. If it's more like a sturdy, good-running but a bit well-worn type car (a "driver" as we say), more like $1,500-$2,000. If it's not running, then under $1,000.

Hope this helps, and you may e-mail me (just click on the blue-highlighted name above this post) and I'll be glad to answer any of your questions.

Mr. Shiftright
  • timctimc Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1976 Capri 11 Ghia V-6 in excellent condition. I have painted it recently and people are constantly asking me where they can get one and how much it costs, etc. Like they think it is a new model or something. Is it common for an older car to retain that newer style even as it gets older? Also, I haven't seen one on the road for years. How much is it worth appox.?
    I assume you are referring to the German Ford Capri marketed under the Mercury name?

I used to have the same car, so I know them. They were (are) fun to drive and a nice set of wheels for not much money. Practically nobody knows about them, or cares, so market value is low for lack of interest...probably $2,500 for a nice one.

You never know which body styles will look good to people in 20 years from now and which will look old and dated. The wedge shaped sports cars from the 80s are not looking so good these days, nor are American cars from the late 70s early 80s.
    But the old fastback style, which is more rounded, seems to still appeal to the modern eye, since cars today are very curvaceous rather than wedgey or boxy. This is why, for instance, most people will look at a 1960 Volvo 544 and say "awwww, how cute" and then look at a 1980 Volvo and say "UGH"....(or, to be kinder, maybe "ho-hum").
  • timctimc Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the response on my Capri. Ihave one other car that is a "driver" but is for now stored. It is a 57 Ford Fairlane 500 4-door Victoria. At least it says so on the door jamb. It has a 312 (strong), auto, p.s., stock padded dash and one of those "ghost" town and country radios. If I painted it to original color scheme, what would it's appox. value be. Thank you for the info!
    A 1957 Ford 4-door is not, unfortunately, a valuable car, so you'd have to think twice about putting much money into it. You can buy very nice ones today for $4,500-6,000, but if you can justify fixing it up while knowing that's your ceiling price, you can still certainly drive and enjoy the car.
  • tabtab Member Posts: 2
    I would like to know the value of a 1936 oldsmobile business coupe in running order. The body seems to be in very good condition.It has 85,000 miles. It has been in storage most of its life.

At one time there was a publication called, "The Gold Book", from the Gold Book, Inc., 430 Tenth Ave. Atlanta GA 30318. It was a blue book for old cars. I would like to find their new address or a publication of a similar order.

Thank you.

Tab.
    Dear Tab,

The only books I know of that currently exists that covers these older cars are:

Old Car Price Guide

and the

Ultimate Car Collector Price Guide

Personally, I find both these publications somewhat optimistic, and they are in fact called 'Wish Books' by many collectors, as in "I Wish I Could Get That Price for Mine!".

But they are valuable in giving you a rough ballpark estimate, and, to be fair, are sometimes quite accurate. The problem is that they are showing "show car" prices, that is, values for highly restored cars, and readers don't get that, and think their unrestored and funky cars are worth that.

There are some similar cars for sale currently in Hemmings Motor News

Figure a restored car would be worth around $10,000 or so, so deduct from there...if it's a little old and dusty but all complete and presentable inside and out and you could just get in and drive it around, I'd say $3,500 would be about right.
  • tabhowardtabhoward Member Posts: 1
    mr-shiftright
    Thanks for the info
    tab
  • lchlch Member Posts: 2
    How 'bout a 71 Challenger hardtop, 440/4, automatic, factory air, hemi orange w/black top and interior? About 66,000 miles on car; unknown on engine (not the original). Spent most of its life on the west coast, so only a trace of rust. Probably about a #3 car.

What might it be worth, and how would you try to sell it to get top dollar?

lch
    Well, a non-original #2 Challenger 440-6 pak, nice nice car, sold recently for $13,000, so you can deduct from there for a body with some rust, etc.

Best place to sell would be Hemmings Motor News.
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    How about a 1974 Blond Stratocaster, with new Spertzel locking tuning keys, very good Blond finish...oh wait...cars...nm...BTW, 1970's guitars are worth what the cars are from that era: squat. What happened to 1) quality build 2) originality/design in all walks of life in the 1970's??? BTW, the above guitar is un-datable by all guides I have, 1974 is an approximation. Can you imagine an un-datable car? Any examples you can give? :)
    Yeah, there are a few older cars that have a huge aftermarket ("huge" meaning you can order ANY body or mechanical part as well as "upgrade" the car for safety and reliability).

In that above category would be VW bug and MGB.

The late 70s, early 80s had to be the low point in American car design and engineering, or at least as lamentable as 1937-1947.

Now, of course, we are in Renaissance, thank to the Japanese who woke the American car companies up, and to the computer, which made modern cars so versatile and reliable.
  • jrjpulverjrjpulver Member Posts: 1
    how do you find out what a classic car would cost im looking at a 1967 Mustang fastback is there a range what it might be worth
  • billdel2billdel2 Member Posts: 1
    My grandmother is finally loosening her grip on her 1973 Monte Carlo -- honest, only driven by a little old lady going to the supermarket. Is it considered a classic in that sense of the word? And how can we find out what it's worth?

Thanks for any advice.
    - Bill
    No, not really, just a nice used car...but there is a small, microscopic little cult around the car that might boost the price a bit, or at least make it easier to sell than a regular /73 sedan. If anyone offered you around $4,000 for the car, I personally wouldn't walk away from that...in fact I'd jump on it, or even a bit less. I suppose an absolute jewel of a car (like it came out of the box) might bring $5,000 to $5,500, but it would really have to be something! Just sell it at a fair price and be done with it, it's not like you'll wake up one day and discover it's worth $100,000, don't worry!
  • javlin1javlin1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a AMC Javelin 73 v-8 that was on the road in 91 and was in good condition then. It has been sitting in my parents diveway since then. It has a 100,000 on it , i think maybe less. I have several people interested in it, but havn't a clue to what its worth. Its a sharp car, but since it has been sitting there for 8 years, I don't know what it is worth. In the late 80's it was worht 2000 - 2500. But now I dont Know, is their anyway I can find out???
    If it's a Javelin AMX, and you got it registered and running, and it looked very sharp, probably $4000-6000.

If it's just a Javelin, probably $2,500-4,000.

If not running, cut all these prices in half.

If not in really good shape throughout, deduct accordingly for defects in cosmetics.
  • dogbeardogbear Member Posts: 1
    We are trying to find out what our 1969 Chevy Suburban 3 door is worth. 350, V-8, 4 speed, 4 wheel drive,custom,perfect interior, near perfect body, no rust, good paint. 62,700 original miles, runs and drives excellent. Thanks for any help you can give us.
  • seward01seward01 Member Posts: 1
    Any idea as to what a fair asking price for this is with 40k original miles and good to very good condition? Can't seem to find listing for this in Hemmings. Has 442 Wildcat engine.
    Oh, probably $5,000 if it were nice looking, would be a good asking price. I wouldn't advertise the low miles unless you could prove it, though, since if someone finds out otherwise after they buy it they could make you eat the whole deal legally.
  • uclaesquclaesq Member Posts: 2
    I'm new her, but recently inherited a 1970 Oldsmobile 98 convertible ( Gold w/ white leather interior and top) The car has 110,000 original miles and is in good condition. Everything works right down to the map light Any idea of its value ? Thanks
    Bruce Davis
    uclaesq@aol.com
    Didn't we talk about this car somewhere else?

Anyway, of course it all depends what you mean by "good condition". These big boat ragtops are getting more popular, since they are still cheap to buy relative to 50s and 60s ragtops and are reliable and easy to fix.

That being said, the car isn't a 442 so can't be in the big buck category as a late "muscle" car type.

Let's see---I'd guess anywhere from $5,000-7,500 for a very decent car with maybe a few little flaws, and upwards of $8,500++ for a real show stopper.
  • hanson13hanson13 Member Posts: 1
    this is my first time on line with edmunds. I have just purchased a beautiful 1976 buick electra 225. this car is gray with a black int.Its eguipt with a 455 motor power windows,air,tilt,am,fm,raido,power bench seat,and has documentation to support claim to 26000 original miles.the paint is original and in good condition but the wheel skirts need repair. because a large rust spot is showing through where the welds for the release handles were originally spot welded. could you tell me the real value of this auto. and lastly any shops specializing in wheel skirt restoration.this car is a lovely driver.
    Hmmm...probably $2,500-3,500 the way it sits, maybe a little more once you get it fixed up...the 2 dr Limited is worth a bit more than the 4-door hdtp sedan or 2 dr sedan.

These are nice driving cars but aren't much collected because of similar styling among all GM lines, rather troublesome smog equipment and quality control issues. Still, it's a nice ride for not much money, but you should be careful not to put too much in it. Drive it, enjoy it and use it up would be my advice.
  • yyydd5yyydd5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1947 Chevy Stylemaster that I want to
    sale.

4 door sedan 6 cyl Stick shift 3 speed.
    Fair condition.

Can you tell me how much it is worth?
    I'd say in fair condition, which I presume means running and driveable, maybe around $2,500 would be a good asking price....if it can't be driven or even started, you may have to take less of course.
    A fairly clean daily driver would bring around $4,500 and a really sharp car around $6,500. These are more or less "real" prices at which the cars are likely to change hands.
  • niteshftniteshft Member Posts: 2
    Had a '70 TR-6 with O.D. and miss it. Am "looking"
    thru internet at (about a dozen photos) a 1972 TR-6 with 102,000 m. New clutch/throw out bearing. No visible rust. Like new top. seats, rugs, dash looks good. States a "strong car". Worth $5,400?
    Thanks- mike
    Yeah, that's ballpark for a decent daily driver, but I would never buy a TR6 without looking at it in real life....people lie like rugs when selling British sportscars. Rust is an issue on these cars, so you need to look for that and for lots of bondo, collision damage, etc. Also, they fall victim to barbaric restoration work.
  • speedshiftspeedshift Member Posts: 1,598
    I've got two pieces of literature that I'd like your opinion on. The first is "1965 Ford DOHC Competition Engine" (second edition), by Ak Miller Enterprises. It's 44 pages on how to keep your Indy engine healthy; every Mustang owner needs a copy. The other is a promotional insert for the '64 GTO, originally stapled into Motor Trend (I think). Can you recommend a web site for this material? I have a lot of sales literature from the mid-to-late '60s that I collected as a kid.

BTW, I think it's great that Edmonds provides this forum, with Mr. Shiftright sharing his expertise. I know Edmunds does this to draw traffic, but still I appreciate the forum. And no banners.
  • njudkinsnjudkins Member Posts: 1
    Please help, we donated a 1975 Mercury Monarch Ghia to a charity last year and have not been able to find the old blue book value for tax purposes, can anyone help??
    About the car-it was running, fully loaded,my husband had completedly rebuilt the engine in 1993,put a terrific sound system in the car and had good tires and upgraded wheels. on the downside, the leather interior had a few tears on the passengers and drivers seat..thanks for your help!
    About $2,000-2,500 for a car in decent condition, as you describe. For tax purposes, you could probaby claim $3,000 without any worry, but higher than that you won't find much evidence of more value.
  • chrycochryco Member Posts: 1
    What do your sources show for the value of a 66 Dart GT hardtop 273 4bbl auto in #2 condition? What sources would you recommend to find out how many of these cars are still in service? One of the things that complicates this is that the engine code, D, is the same for the 2bbl cars as for the 4bbl.
  • 70boss70boss Member Posts: 4
    How about a 1966 Mustang Convertible, C-code engine smokes when you start it. Auto, silver blue, clean interior with no tears, dash good, nearly perfect woodgrain wheel (no gaps, one crack) Power steering, power top. Top is perfect. Rust free ORIGINAL floors, torque boxes, rails. Drivers quarter has been replaced. Runs and drives good, all light work. Some pitting on chrome. Body buck tag, clean engine compartment. Very good driver paint, meaning a few small scrapes and chips. Very solid #3. So how does the Mustang market look?
    Mustang market is very good, but it is also complex. The big money goes to the nicest cars and also the cars with the desirable options, like K code, 4-speed and A/C, GT group, etc. So the prices vary wildly depending on how the options go and how original and correct the car is.

Nonetheless, one could sell the rattiest early Mustang convertible for a decent price.

Figure $15,000 for local show winner quality, $17K+ for K code restored cars, and anywhere from $8K-12K for clean drivers, depending how the car is cosmetically and mechanically. I suppose around $10,000 asking is right for your car, but really I'd have to see it to know. A lot of Mustang value depends on eyeball appeal.
  • flipper33flipper33 Member Posts: 1
    I Have a 1959 Chevy Stepside , Short Wheel Base truck. It is in Fair Shape with 327 Small Block Engine , Standard Transmission . I am Wondering What it is Worth Approximetely.
    Probably around $3,000 if by "fair" you mean complete, running and not a disaster.
  • babyrhinobabyrhino Member Posts: 1
    I backed into a '67 Mercedes yesterday . . . dented the fender, driver's door, and passenger door on the drivers side. I don't know very much about the car, except the body was good with poor paint. Are these parts available? What is a '67 Mercedes (let's assume fair shape) worth?
  • goodman2goodman2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1970 pontiac firebird Ram Air III formula that I purchased back in 1992. It has the original numbers matching 3 speed manual transmission, along with the all numbers matching engine from the carb to the manifolds. Looking at production numbers for this combination, there seems to be only 15 of these produced in 1970. The car is in original condition with the only modification being the paint. Otherwise, the car is in very good condition and drives great. Any idea on the value of this rare Firebird?
    The combination of options being rare doesn't make a car necessarilymore valuable, because the options have to be rare AND desirable. The 3-speed and paint change will hurt the value, definitely.

Probably an L74 Ram Air coupe that was really, really nice but not show or restored is looking like...um...just guessing here...around $12K-14K....usually you can find a very tasty 4-speed restored #2 car (local show winner)in the high teens. I have seen higher asking prices for over the top fanatical restorations but I assume we are not talking about an immaculate undriven car in a glass case here. Again, the 3-speed will hurt value, so if you get a strong offer, I'd consider not letting that buyer walk away. But of course check the Internet and Hemmings Motor News for comparable cars (same condition and equipment) before selling. I'm just giving you ballparks here.
  • novaman1novaman1 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a 1972 Chevy Nova with 58,595 original miles, automatic, p/s, interior in excellent condition, exterior in very good shape. The body is 4 door. The engine is a 307 V-8. I paid $1,700 for the car and am wondering what it's worth?

Thanks
    Seems just about fairly priced at $1,700 for a 4-door 307.
  • rustrust Member Posts: 5
    We picked up a 1958 Nash Metropolitan coupe recently for $4,000. It's a good running, clean,rust free Colorado car with a perfect interior. The exterior is original and generally very nice, but has picked up just too many dings and scratches and bad touch-up spots to leave as is. The car deserves some attention, but we don't want to go too far "over the top". We are not strong Metro fans, but we do get fun and attention showing the car at local events. How much more cash can be put into this novelty before we get into the "sure and substantial loss" category?
This discussion has been closed.