Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Envoy Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning

abra0101abra0101 Member Posts: 1
I'VE GOT A '02 ENVOY SLT AND MY PROBLEM IS NO AIR IS COMMING OUT ON THE VENTS AND SOMETIMES I HEAR A CLICKING SOUND UNDER MY DASH, IF THIS IS THE BLEND ACTUATOR WHERE COULD I FIND IT AND WHAT TO REMOVE TO GET INTO THE ACTUATOR? YOUR ADVICES IS GREATLY APPRECIATED....THANKS

Comments

• maxx13maxx13 Member Posts: 2
    WERE YOU ABLE TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? STRANGLY ENOUGH, THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I JOINED THIS SITE TODAY. WITHOUT WARNING...NO AIR MOVEMENT AT ALL. NOTHING! IF YOU FIXED THIS, I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP....THANKS IN ADVANCE
  • dingo6120dingo6120 Member Posts: 1
    I had this problem after 100k. After some careful analyzing, i realized that my electronic climate control system was also reading the wrong exterior temp. What this means is that the truck thinks its exterior temp is cold enough to freeze the compressor and therefore will not allow the a/c to kick on. After I bypassed the ext temp sensor I have not had any problems since.
  • envoyagerenvoyager Member Posts: 4
    After bypassing your ext temp sensor (is this the one by the front of the radiator?), what does your temp readout show (either in your mirror or HVAC)?
  • dlasnerdlasner Member Posts: 1
    My left heat control works, but the right side seems to be stuck on cold or neutral temp. Sliding it up or down does nothing and I don't hear any change in whatever mechanism allows hot air in on the left. does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • sidehustle2007sidehustle2007 Member Posts: 1
    where the hell is this sensor will someone please tell me.
  • kenny1018kenny1018 Member Posts: 1
    my a/c control is stuck on the floor selection what do i do
  • ricardog504ricardog504 Member Posts: 2
    my air stopped venting through the front vents all other vents work defrost rear air floor side but not the front.i would like to know what the problem might be causei already did the ignition switch. i am pretty handy but need a direction to follow.
  • mlbarfield73mlbarfield73 Member Posts: 1
    This morning my 2003 Envoy's A/C worked fine. At lunch, it was only blowing hot air. The outside sensor looks like its "stuck" on 80 degrees with the letters EXT above it. What the heck?!? Our mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow, but it is weird that two hours later it didn't work.
  • hood4mdhood4md Member Posts: 3
    Did you get an answer from your mechanic? I have the same problem, except my outside sensor is stuck on 30 degrees. No air here either (not good in 3rd day of 90+ degrees). Need insight before going to my mechanic!!! HELP!!!
  • carnycocarnyco Member Posts: 2
    Have you got an answer regarding your A/C problem because my 2003 Envoy is having the same problem, works and blows through all vents but not a breath out of the 4 front dashboard vents?
  • carnycocarnyco Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problem with my 4 front dashboard vents....NO AIR!
    Did you get a reply to your same problem, and if so, can you give me a copy of the fixit reply you received?
    Thanks
  • dbartleydbartley Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 GMC Envoy AC turns off and on for no reason. Also, my radio fuse shorts out immediately. I know very little about cars, so what is my next step?
  • jeciwall27jeciwall27 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Envoy. My air conditioner works on all dials except for 5 (highest output). It's cold air coming out of the other speeds, but just totally shuts off at # 5 maximum. Also, how do you change the bulbs behind the stereo. I have 3 light buttons out on my dash.
  • pastorharrypastorharry Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 GMC Envoy air conditioner is working fine only the I am getting large amounts of water condensation on the passenger floor area.
    Is there a problem with a leaky hose or something that handles the condensation. There is no condensationh on the ground when you turn off the car.
    Help!
  • martmarkmartmark Member Posts: 2
    We are having the same problem with our 2004 Envoy. Did you get any resolution or clews to the problem? This is our first search for anwsers on the web.
    Mart
  • cyokleycyokley Member Posts: 3
    I an having the same problem, could you tell me what you did to fix this?
  • martmarkmartmark Member Posts: 2
    I went to my GMC dealer and asked them about the problem. He went out to my auto and reached in the engine compartment just behind the glove box (by feel) and pulled out two components. One black straight rubber tube first, about 1 to 2 inches long, and a connecting plastic black elbow (90 degrees). He proceeded to clean them out by blowing in them and then reinstalled them. He said that this is where blockage impedes the flow of condensation and causes leaks in side. He said he has done this a few times for customers. It took all of 5 minutes, no charge. Leak has sensed stopped so far.

Hope this helps.
  • hsauberthsaubert Member Posts: 2
    2002 Envoy the air quits after about 20 minutes. I replaced the EV Fan with no luck. Any suggestions on what to look for?
  • hood4mdhood4md Member Posts: 3
    Not sure if this is related or not but...My A/C was intermittent in my 2003 Envoy. The external temp gauge was reading 50 on 90+ June days. It appears that the 'The ambient air temperature sensor' needed replacing. It mounts near the radiator. I replaced it in 10 mins and the part cost $21. The dealer was going to charge $200.

If you replace it, you need to update the ambient air temperature display on the HVAC control module, perform the following procedure:

1- Turn ON the ignition.
    2.-Simultaneously press the MODE, FRONT DEFROST and REAR DEFROST switches.

This process worked a couple of times before I was able to replace the sensor. Hope this helps!!!
  • eyotteyott Member Posts: 1
    Was a solution found for the dash vents not working on the 2003 Envoy? As I have the very same problem.
  • siksasiksa Member Posts: 3
    All of the HVAC controls and temperatures function on the console of my 03 envoy, but the blower ignores the speed control. It usually is off, but sometimes comes on at arbitrary speed when the car is initially started. Where is the control module, Does it need reset? Please help.

Thanks.
    Hi,
    I also have the same problem. Did you get it fixed and if so what was the fix? Thanks very much. Bob
  • prostocknovaprostocknova Member Posts: 5
    Hi yes i have a 2004 GMC Envoy and that also happened to mine my air works fine up until you turn the dial to 5 its actually your Resister (which controls the fan speeds) a Blower Resister and you usually can only get it at the dealer. Its kind of a pain so if you dont know anyone its best to have them put it in as well ,plus if anythings wrong your local GMC Dealer will have to cover it. Good Luck
  • alfa116alfa116 Member Posts: 1
    :cry: :sick: I'm having the same problem with the A/C. The ambient air temperature is stuck on 50 degrees. I tried the resting of the control module with no luck. I've spend the better part of the day looking of the Ambient air sensor behind the radiator. the sensor is not there, is there another location.
  • hsauberthsaubert Member Posts: 2
    What year is your Envoy?
  • cwickscwicks Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 envoy just started having the indentical problem. Did you ever find out what was causing this? Not a good thing since my truck is black, in Florida, in August. Please help!
    Yes, it was the blower control module that mounts alongside the blower. You have to remove the sound panel (two screws) under the glove box and remove the glove box at the hinge (three screws). Then you can see the module. It has a pigtail wire that plugs into the blower. Release the plug latch with a screw driver and disconnect it. The module has two screws holding it into the duct by the blower. The module costs about $72 mail order or $115.65 at the GMC dealer. The dealer wanted $200 to fix it.

Note: this fix is for the digital type control with the up/down bar graph on the console, not the rotating switch type blower speed control, which has a resistor module instesd of the electronic module.

Good luck.

Bob
  • japatarjapatar Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a used 04 Envoy with 24k miles. The radio had 2 lights out on it. As it was under warranty, they are replacing the whole radio, not fixing it. We also has a Chevy Venture 2003 van, it has the same problems, but is well out of warranty.
  • angelo1949angelo1949 Member Posts: 4
    I checked the fuse sensor and resistor, they where ok.
    does anyone has had the same problem?
    Can anyone help me in solving the problem?
    thank you
    angelo
  • angelo1949angelo1949 Member Posts: 4
    This is for anyone that may have the same problem.
    I checked the power at the end of the blower sensor and the power was ther..
    I also decided to bypass the blower sensor and connect the power directly to the blower, the blower started working so i went to buy a new blower sensor and about $160 later with the new sensor i restored the heat in the Envoy.
    Angelo
  • gbertmariagbertmaria Member Posts: 1
    a/c is working on car , air comes out from leg vents,rear vents front dash side cold
    but is not coming out front vents ,checked fuse boxes any suggestions
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    The rear HVAC and radio controls on my 2002 Envoy SLT have quit working. It is as if there is no power to the controls as neither the rear HVAC or radio controls will come on when you push the respective power buttons on the back of the front console. When you turn on the lights the markings on the control panel light up so you can see the buttons, etc., but you can still not turn on either the HVAC or radio. I checked the rear HVAC fuse and it was fine. Local non-dealer mechanic looked at it and found all wiring and connectors to be good. He thinks it is caused by some control module, but does not have the GM repair book to look at and check it. Anyone have similar issues or ideas for me to cehck before I take it back to the dealer? Thanks.
  • shaapennshaapenn Member Posts: 1
    I have read some of the other people's tales about the problems with the 2003 Envoy SLT XL air conditioning blower motor control module. I have been without air for about a month and finally had a friend take a look and found out that mine was bad. My problem now is that looking online I keep finding the 7 pronged one instead of the 3 prong. I read someone's input about going to a Super Parts AC Delco but I don't have one of those out here in Hawaii and am desperately trying to find the right part online instead of having to pay the dealer 2 or 3 times the amount. Can anyone point me in the right direction about an online site for good parts?
  • paygepayge Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 GMC ENVOY. Last month the air would just stop working for 5 sec. and then turn back on. It would quit for 15 sec and then turn back on. Then it would work fine. Now I am lucky if the blower works at all. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. Sometimes the air works and sometimes it will not. It will work on 1,2,3,4 and will quit on 5. I can sometimes get the vent air to come on and then hit the air button and sometimes the air will kick on.
    I don't believe it is the compressor but maybe a switch. I called my local GMC dealership and they said they have never heard of this problem. I do not believe that. Not from reading this. Any help will be great. Thanks.
  • oncelostoncelost Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Envoy and am having a problem. When I turn heat/air with the drivers or passenger control, extremly hot air is blowing out the passenger side. No matter what temp I set the passenger to it blows as hot air as possible, while the driver blows whatever I set it at. Does anyone have a clue? I would appreciate any help.
  • onionringonionring Member Posts: 3
    Is the module under the foam padding underneath the blower motor (towards the floor side)...I've only dropped the glove door down to look behind it...I can see the blower motor unit....also what color are the wires that plug into the blower from the module??..looks like a purple and brown wire..
  • bowtieracerbowtieracer Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Envoy XL. Automatic HVAC controls. The rear air blower quit working. I removed the rear panel to access the blower assy. Upon doing some tests, I found that the motor would blow fine if I manually grounded the ground wire that goes to the motor. Is there a bad control module somewhere that controls the motor with it's ground or is the front control switch bad? I'm not familiar with this vehicles wiring configuration and am at a loss as to where to check next. Any history on this problem? Thanks in advance.
  • scsweetpeascsweetpea Member Posts: 4
    I'm having tow problems:
    1) When a/c is on sometimes the blower blows, sometimes not. Turning the speed up or down does not adjust the air flow. It might blow a little bit but then when driving down the road it turns on full blast. Then on it's own when it wants to starts blowing nothing again.

2) When I turn the car off the A/C Heater Blower does not turn off. Once in awhile if I keep messing with it or turn the car on and off it might stop. It has drained my battery twice now and I have to unhook the battery to get it to stop.
    When I hook the battery back up, start the car, I do not turn it on and it will turn on automatically even though you do not hear it and then I am back in the same boat again.......

Somebody please help!!!
    Thanks Jess
  • cbwilshacbwilsha Member Posts: 70
    I answered your other identical post with a solution to your problems shortly after you posted it. That was 2 days ago. Have you fixed your problem?

C.B.
    I brought it to me dealer....they fixed it....some of the wiring needed repairing...reason???...cost was $89.00...so I did care...works great now..now my posi traction is jerking only when I turn to the left...had them drain fluid...ran it...about 100 miles...still does it...not sure what to do next...mileage 128,000..
    I HAVE A 2003 ENVOY...GREAT CAR..IT HAS 128,000 MILES ON IT..I ALWAYS SERVICE IT EVERY 3000 MILES FOR ENGINE OIL AND GREASE. LATELY WHEN I ONLY TURN TO THE LEFT AT VERY SLOW SPEEDS EITHER ON SNOW OR SAND THE REAR AXLE JUMPS OR SLIPS (TUGS)..YOU CAN FEEL IT AND HEAR IT. I TOOK IT TO MY DEALER AND HE CHANGED THE OIL IN THE REAR AND TOLD ME TO RUN IT FOR ABOUT AN 100 MILES AND BRING IT BACK AND THEY WOULD CHANGE IT AGAIN...WELL IT HAS ABOUT 120 MILES ON IT AND IT STILL HAS THIS ISSUE...SHOULD I GET THE OIL CHANGED AGAIN AND SPEND ANOTHER $54 BUCKS..OR DO I HAVE ANOTHER ISSUE OR SOMETHING THAT IS COSTLY...I NEVER ASK THEM TO CHANGE THE REAREND OIL DURING THE OWNERSHIP OF THIS CAR...I JUST THOUGHT THAT IT WOULD BE DONE DURING MY 128,000 MILE ENGINE OIL CHANGES..CONFUSED AND WORRIED..
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Give the GMC Envoy Noises and Sounds discussion a try. The topic here is HVAC.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • beknjimbeknjim Member Posts: 1
    My defrost is constantly blowing in my 2003 gmc envoy xl when I try to turn on any heat settings. The rear vents are not working at all and the floor vents are barely blowing any heat out. Any ideas on what the problem could be??
  • cindywoid1cindywoid1 Member Posts: 1
    Have you solved the problem with the rear HVAC and radio controls. Mine is doing the same thing. It quit working about 2 years ago when my battery died after being parked for 2 weeks during a cold Michigan February while I was out of town. When I returned and got the vehicle started my rear control no longer worked. How did you solve your problem?
  • ronburns48ronburns48 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 Envoy SLT. The passenger side, no matter what setting is placed for the dual climate control, only blows ambient air temperature. It will not blow heated or cooled air. Is there a fuse that may have failed? Is there something I can review before taking it into the repair shop?
  • wkas10wkas10 Member Posts: 2
    Yes but only after 802 dollars later at the local GMC dealer- They had trouble even with external computer control. HVAC on these envoys is almost impossible they had it for a solid 2 days and the Dash completely apart on the service floor-
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    I have not taken Envoy in to dealer yet. Got a new Ford Expedition last summer and use it for primary vehicle now. I do need to get it in to the dealer. When I do and find out what happened, I will post. My 2002 Envoy will be 9 years old in July and just hit 85,000 miles.
  • robsavrobsav Member Posts: 2
    The blower motor will not turn off when key is off and vehicle is asleep. Is it the blower motor relay under the hood or the blower motor resistor (module) behind the glove box?
  • badddawgbadddawg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 XUV. I recently had leaks in both spring air bags and replaced them. It work fine for about 2 weeks. Now they will not enflate. The pump is working normally and no leaks detected! Is there a relay/check valve that may be stuck open? Where is it located?

Ty
  • blackbeauty5blackbeauty5 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    i have a 2003 gmc envoy when the a/c is turned on the truck idle up &down like a yo-yo then it stumbles and falls dead, it will restart but falls dead when compressor engage.i replaced the cycle switch but still the same ,i i am thinking the cilmate control panel? someone help me tackle this one.