Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes C350 Sports Sedan

casper1022casper1022 Member Posts: 24
Is anyone familiar with the 3m protective plastic film they install on certain areas of the vehicle to protect the vehicle from rock chips, debris and etc. The dealer is charging an arm and leg to install this film. Upon surfing the net, there are other detailing companies that do the same service for almost 1/2 the price. Any comments on this protective film?? Is it worth having the protection on the vehicle.

Comments

• 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    I think the film is a great idea. We have it on my wife's BMW, and it does a great job. You may be able to negotiate the price of the film down from the dealer. Otherwise, I would schedule an aftermarket place to do it as soon as possible. If had had even one chip under the film, it would bug me every time I saw it. :sick:
  • casper1022casper1022 Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for your info..I just called a person in Florida who supposedly is known for installing this films, its unfortunate he is not in the area. I see you are in Seattle too, mind recommending me to a installer since I want to make sure they are reputable. Thanks again and I know its a good investment but the dealer is not willing to negotiate and I would like this done ASAP too, like the day after I fetch my car from the dealer. Thanks again. :)
    We got the car a couple years old with the film already installed, so I have no personal experience with a local installer. Sorry.
    hi, thanks for the info. i was fortunate i found the detailer of one of seattles mercedes dealers.. i even want to share with you that, there is a new product out to protect your windshield, when a little rock hits the windshield instead of causing those big visible spider web like images, it will or suppose to cause only a head of a pin size image once the little rock hits the windshield, i am also considering having this done at the same time. thanks again for responding to my inquiry. its good to know someone local in the area in the event something happens its easy to return and have them retouch or fix the problem. have a nice day and who knows one day we will meet on the freeways..thanks :)
    Thanks for the nice message. I'll actually be in the market for a new car in a few months, and have it narrowed down to the Audi A4 and the C350. I'm also interested in the Infiniti G35, but it's sort of on the back burner. I've always like German cars.
    All that being said, I'd love to get the contact info of the guy you found, and your buying experience of the car itself. My email is in my profile. It's a secondary address that I don't mind giving out. Thanks again, hope to hear from you.

Nelson
    I've had my C350 for 3 weeks now and had the INVISIBLE BRA installed and I am happy with it and the installer did a great job, considering the vehicle is BLACK. I am enjoying the drive and hope it stays as good as they say. Haven't really taken it out much to the freeway yet. If your considering a vehicle, I hope you'll consider the C350. If you need more info, please feel free to email me. :)
  • sperrysperry Member Posts: 15
    Does the new 2008 C-350 have memory seats? I can't find any mention of it on the MB web site.

Thanks.
    Sperry, unfortunately there are no memory settings on the 2008 C class. I would have wanted this as an added standard feature. :(
    That is too bad. :( I've already purchased the vehicle but I guess I just assumed it had memory seats. It's such a basic accessory.
    Well, I am sure the next model will have the memory and other features which the 2008 did not have as standard. When did you purchase your vehicle? It would be interesting to compare notes as the months go since I am reading certain issues from others in the forum.. go ahead and email me directly if you would like.
    Overall, I am happy with the vehicle, just have to get use to all the gadgets and how to use them. I only have like 200miles on mine, need to take it for a long drive to break it in. :)
  • jspagna1jspagna1 Member Posts: 34
    You mean none of the new C-Class models come with memory setas. The 2 things I really wanted were heated & memory seats. Are you guys sure about that?
    :) the good news is, both front seats are heated, thats a standard feature on the C350, but for sure for sure, no memory seats, sorry to disappoint you-- :(
    I haven't received it yet. Supposed to arrive next week. Was custom built. I put in all options except iPod and Panoramic roof. Also, the color seems to be rare, Borolo Red.

I will let you know my experiences. I wanted the QuickPark as well but the dealer wants $1,100 to install it. I don't want it that much.
    I ordered mine in August 2007, I received it January 31st 2008, I ordered the nav/multimedia system,leather seats and the tele-aid. I strongly suggest if you are one who cannot stand those rock chips on the front, have them install the invisible bra. Using the dealer may cost you 3x the price, I suggest you look for a local installer in your area. If you are interested, there is a new product also to protect the windshield which is also a invisible film..I actually got the black and am very happy with it..Am sure your RED will look stunning.. :)
    I just received my C350. I Love it!! The no memory seats is a bit annoying but I will get used to it. Even more annoying is the non powered Tilt/Telescoping steerring wheel. The lock is in an ackward position and having to adjust it when drivers are switched can be an issue. Can someone answer why these features, memory seats, powered tilt/telescoping wheel, 4-matic, etc. are offered on all models of the C-Class in Canada?

I took it for a drive at 1:00a the day I got it. Went to a road that was dark and quite. Got her up to 120mph and she wanted to go faster. It was amazing! She handeled great.

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. :D
  • benzrbenzr Member Posts: 2
    I've had my C350 since Jan 2008 and I love it! As many have said here, it would have been nice with memory seats. For those of you in the Northeast (like Michgian) 4-matic was sorely missed. Winter was the worst in several years in Michigan, and driving this baby in snowy, sometimes icy winter roads was tricky. The veh would hardly move when caught on slight uphill (I mean real slight uphill) in a heavy snowstorm with icy road conditions. One other thing, if you are a golfer you may not be happy with the trunk space. I cannot get my golf bag into the trunk without taking the driver out of the bag and lay it criss-cross to the bag. It's a bit annoying. Other than that, I am pleased with the car and its handling capabilities and I look forward to warmer days ahead in this baby.
  • sirlennysirlenny Member Posts: 4
    I just odered the 2009 C350 and it comes with the memory seats. I live in Germany so I can get the US spec before it get to the states. I will get my C350 in June. I will keep you posted on all the new items for the C350. Can't wait to get this in my drive way :)
    I drive an Audi TT roadster and my bag must sit on my seat. I will take deliver of my 2009 C350 in June....I will be happy to be able to put my bag in the truck. What driver do you use? I use an TaylorMade R7 Superquard 10.5. :)
  • srvlonghornsrvlonghorn Member Posts: 15
    I am seriously considering the Mercedes C300 Sport or 350 but there are still a couple things that bother me.

1. C300: 228hp; 221ft lbs; 0-60 in 7.1sec C350: 268hp; 258ft lbs; 0-60 in 6.1sec - are both well below their competition. Heck even the Honda Accord V6 is 268hp & 248ft lbs

2. No memory seats, or a rear camera

Does this bother anyone else?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    Good luck with your search.

I was considering a C-class for five minutes or so, and have subscribed to a number of these boards. Most who post appear to be badge hounds who have little or no knowledge of driving dynamics or engine specs.

With luck, you'll hear from the one or two who have actual input, but don't hold your breath.

The consensus appears to be that Merc used to have totally unreliable electric/electronic stuff and generally appear to value luxury over performance. The new C may have fixed the reliability stuff. . .or not.

Once again, good luck.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Thanks for the feedback.

Do you think there will be any improvements for the 2009 model? And when would the 2009's be available?
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I don't know about you, but I don't think I have ever floored the car at a traffic light (or similar) to get to 60mph....so while those numbers are interesting, the more real life one is 30-60mph which no one quotes anymore. Having said that, you want enough power to get on freeways and get away from trouble...and 0-60 in 7 sec's is more than enough. It wasn't too many years ago when even mercedes and BMW's were quoting 0-60 times of 9 seconds...and with gas prices being what they are, we may see that again pretty quickly. And torque numbers of 221 or 268 can't be compared because you really want to know when that torque cuts in. If it cuts in at 5000 rpm, you aren't going to feel that torque at any normal driving speed...what you want is a smooth torque curve. OK..let me net this out...don't compare specs. The honda is a front wheel drive car and drives very differently than a bmw/mercedes/infiniti rear wheel drive.

Memory seats are being added back in the 09's (not sure if they are part of a package...but they are available). The lack of a rear backup camera is a shame since much less expensive cars have it. If that's critical, by an altima....or if you want everything..hp/torque/rear camera...look at the infiniti G35/37.

The 09 C300/350 start build this month in Germany and should be on your dealer's shelves at some point in July. It takes approx 28 days from build to appearing your local dealerr's lot
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I am seriously considering the Mercedes C300 Sport or 350 but there are still a couple things that bother me.

1. C300: 228hp; 221ft lbs; 0-60 in 7.1sec C350: 268hp; 258ft lbs; 0-60 in 6.1sec - are both well below their competition. Heck even the Honda Accord V6 is 268hp & 248ft lbs

If it bothers much you could always get the new accord ;)
    Those two are my main gripes also, along with no manual transmission for the 350.
    Well I tested the C300 Sport and although I would not classify myself as a speed demon, I was a little underwhelmed by the car's performance - specifically the loose feel of the steering and the lack of acceleration when I floored it.

Having had a night to sleep on it, I realize that perhaps I should have test drove the 350.

Has anybody out there tested both versions? And if so, what were the factors that caused you to purchase / dismiss the vehicle.

For the record, I loved everything else about the car.

Thanks!
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    Drove both cars...liked the performance of the 350 better although the steering seemed twitchy (might have been the tires...car wasn't really preped). I would up leasing an Infiniti M35 for 24 months at a much better price than even the 300 (all cars were priced with navigation/multimedia.. The C is still a small car and the finish inside is not all that exciting. If the lease price had been close, I might have gone with the 350 just to drive a mercedes.
  • trauppiustrauppius Member Posts: 31
    I have driven and enjoyed both. The C300 with 7-Auto takes a hit in acceleration compared with 6-Manual due to the low torque of the engine. The C350 with the higher torque engine does not have exhibit this performance gap.

Are you sure you had the C300 Auto in the Speed (S) mode, not the default Comfort (C) mode? It makes a big difference as the car starts out in 2nd gear unless you floor it; and even then it seems to lag behind. Given the heft of the C Class cars the 300 does a pretty fair job, especially once up to highway speeds.

In the end I opted to buy a new 2009 C350 through the European Delivery Plan (EDP). The C350 adds the 7-Auto, P1 package, Sirius radio, AMG lip spoiler, wood trim, 17" AMG 6-spoke wheels, and 350 engine for combo price that is less than the individual options. The EDP then shaves 7% off the MSRP + waives the ~$800 delivery charge.

I think the C350 will also retain a trade-in/resale advantage over the C300 Sport.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    I really like the style of the new C class, and given the cash to dealer and low APR decided to drive a C350 over the weekend.

Very please with the car - enough room, performance and luxury to satisfy my needs. Went ahead and pulled the trigger and took one home. :shades:

Looking forward to driving this baby for quite some time.
    Just like yourself, I have no regrets purchasing the C350 though I don't use it a lot. I only have 1000miles on the vehicle, but the little miles I've driven the vehicle, I cannot complain. Regarding the value on re-sale, I am hoping that it will retain its value when time to sell..I only purchased a few options, the leather seats, Nav/multimedia system and the Teleaid..Love the car..Am sure you will love your car too..
    Great auto...I took delivery of my 2009 C350 on 31 July at the factory...great experience! I took a trip in the mountains of Germany. Great drive..Great Auto. I added all the options, but the Tel Star. If you ever get to take delivery at the factory, you will love it.
    First question for you fellas -

It appears the 350 runs just a bit on the warm side? Call me a nervous nellie, but anytime the temp gauge is beyond half way I get cautious. My car seems to run ~ 90 degrees - and 80 is the midpoint on the guage

I noticed in several of the interior shots from the various Edmund's tests that their car was also ~ 90, and the service manager tells me this is typical of the vehicle.

How about you guys? Does the needle stay just above the mid point of your temp gauge?
  • trauppiustrauppius Member Posts: 31
    I just picked up a 2009 C350 at the factory in Sindelfingen, Germany and drove it for 575 miles over 5 days. Speeds up to 110 MPH for a few miles at a time.

My temperature guage is calibrated in Degrees Centigrade and stabilized in the low 80's range when warmed up and loafing down the road. The highes I saw was just about 90 Deg C when pulling 110 MPH with the air-conditioner on with an outside temp of 78 Deg F. It never went higher.

Now, 90 Deg C is just 194 Deg F and still below the 212 Deg F boiling point of water at sea-level air pressure. Todays cars use pressurized cooling systems that extend the boiling point of the coolant (water+glycol+water pump lubricant+rust inhibitor) up to about 250 Deg F. My gauge has a red zone marked beginning at 120 Deg C (equals 248 Deg F), just below the coolant boing point.

So, I would say that 90 Deg C is normal/nominal (depending on outside temp) and that temps significantly above that, say 100 Deg C or more, are reason for extra caution and concern to find out why the temp is atypical. It could indicate low coolant, a leak, a faulty pressure cap, etc.
    Thanks Trauppius -

Other than the runs up to 110 MPH ;) I am having the same experience as you.

I gotta say I really do like this car, fast, smooth and comfortable. My wife is making excuses to run errands at night just to take it out for a spin. :shades:
    one month in and I am even more pleased. Car rides and drives well and puts a smile on my face every morning. Couldn't have wished for a better first month. :shades:
    what a pleasant surprise, my dealer had an open house for new car buyers - I am sure that other high end dealers do the same thing, but this is the first time I have been invited to one.

I also was pleased to see 50+ other buyers as well. Seems as if the local economy must be doing OK.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    While perusing the M-B website on the C300, when you go to build the car, it lists Premium Package Number 1 as having memory seats, unless I misunderstood that part. If not, then surely this option would be available on the C350???
    The C350 does have the memory seats in the package. I have a 09 C350 and it does have the memory seats. I hope this helps
  • sunpowersunpower Member Posts: 1
    My dealer told me that the 09c350 has keyless entry but does not have a push button start so I have to take my keys out anyway. Is that true? Why would they do that? I checked the website and I couldnt see that it mentioned anything about push button start option.
  • ttseattlettseattle Member Posts: 1
    Hi casper,
    I notice that you are in Seattle and used a company that install the invisible bra at a reasonable price. Can please let me know what is the name of the store/ company and where is it? I would like to have it on our new Black BMW.
    Thank you very much for your info.
    Please send me your email address so i can give you more info..he was a good installer and work was superb, worth having this extra protection on your vehicle..we both have black cars so i will be glad to send u a photo on the work he did..looking foward to hearing from you...thanks
    I'd like the info on the installer you found also please. foote42@gmail.com. Thanks!

Nelson
  • whit5whit5 Member Posts: 65
    hi
    wondering if this is a good deal at this time . i was looking at a c350 2008, sticker is $44,106 loaded with p2 option. dealer said he could do $10k off. making it $34,106 but from what edmunds has on there site, the invoice is $41k and seems if i get it at invioce wit the $10k off i should be able to get the car for $31-32. The dealer was quick to give me $10k off the $44k without negotiating. So im thinking i should be able to get down to 32k..edmunds also says there is $3500 in rebates and another 3% of msrp on holdback equalling another $1200 off car..

what do u guys think?
    thanks
  • tleeiahtleeiah Member Posts: 1
    Need big help ! Does anyone know how to reset the ' Service A due by ( not due in )xx days ' light on the '08 Mercedes C350 ? I changed the oil & filter myself to avoid the big rip off by the dealership but I did it after the due date. I was able to cancel the message temporarily but could not reset it for good. Thanks in advance !
  • dsmoke1986dsmoke1986 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 09' Black C 350 Sport with MM, P2, Panorama, 18" AMG Wheels, and Ipod Integration kit for 42,500, with 1.9% financing extended for 66 months...This is the furthest the dealer would push on the deal, but I'm very happy with it, its a grand less than the TMV on this site...Hope this helps someone out, as this board had been dead forever.
    OK - so I have an 08 C-350 without Nav - cool as it was could not justify the price. So I get an email about "Universal media interface or Nav + 4". This appears to be Navigation that works on the standard in dash screen, but I am unsure and cannot find much about it on the web.

I have not yet called the dealer to check cost (if over $500 I just can't see doing it).

Has anybody see this system in action? How does in compare? I use an iPhone 3G S for navigation now, and while it is not perfect for in car use there is no extra cost (I all ready have the phone and service)

Any thoughts? :confuse:
    wow - called my dealer and this runs $1,700 for parts and 3 hours labor to install - for what appears to be a software upgrade? Which is really too bad. At nearly $2,000 this is not a good value.

Wow - Tom-Tom iPhone application here I come!
  • vejkos20vejkos20 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you ever get an answer as to how to reset the computer?? If you did, could you please send me an email how. I have the same problem. My dad is a mechanic and changed the oil for me. Thanks.
  • rcallahanrcallahan Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking at the 2010 350 now. I noticed that the price for P2 does not reflect what is on the Mercedes site. It seems the 350 comes with P1 as a standard and the Mercedes site shows what a P1 and P2 would cost, like the C300 car. Dealer can't seem to figure it out.
  • hawkkman1hawkkman1 Member Posts: 4
    If anyone knows how we as laymen at times, know how to reset the maintenance interval message, please, I would appreciate it if you would email me at Hawkkman@gmail.com....2007 C280 thanks
  • hawkkman1hawkkman1 Member Posts: 4
    How am I to use my incar (dash) phone system? I use a cell, but would like to use the setup in the car when traveling....any info concerning this. please email Hawkkman@gmail.com......2007 C280 Thanks a bunch