Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335d 2009+

1234568»

Comments

• investor27investor27 Member Posts: 59
    Huh? Dropping the clutch at idle, and it won't stall? Don't you mean 1st gear? That is a great tip, but unfortunately BMW is not bring out the 335d with a manual to the US market. They had claimed that the manual transmission can't handle all that torque. I wonder how the manual transmission is handling all that torque over in Europe. Doesn't make sense.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    As far as I know, the 335d isn't available anywhere in the world with a manual transmission. Yes, no?

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Actually that's okay. I always felt the best combination for a diesel car was a turbo automatic.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    1st gear yes. Well, obviously he misspoke, So I just connected the dots. :surprise:

It would appear that BMW in effect "cheaped out". The torque (300 - 405
    # ft ) between the 335 I and the 335D is app 105 # ft MORE, add to that an additional safety factor, and you are probably talking a radical redesign, aka higher cost. Not even the 550I - 5 series V-8 has 405# ft (360 # ft only- only is way oxymoronic in this application)

So for as many as they anticipated selling, a 6 speed manual option probably makes no economic sense.
    It makes no sense to market this car as a manual transmission in the USA anyway IMO. I think BMW made the right move here.
  • nopcbsnopcbs Member Posts: 43
    You're right, of course. The overwhelming majority of BMW's sold in the US are automatics. BMW was even reluctant to sell their current M cars with a manual option and had to be talked into it by US enthusiasts who wanted it...and some dealers as an image need.

BMW used to be a very sporting brand in the US, but that was long ago and now they are one of the brands for the affluent who are just buying a sporty image, but don't really like to drive very much...or have a clue how to drive a manual.

Not all, mind you, but (given the number who want an automatic when they can have a manual) certainly most. BMW knows their market. It's another reason we will not see the 1-Series hatch here...unless they need the EPA numbers. Image.
  • jlbljlbl Member Posts: 1,333
    As far as I know, the 335d isn't available anywhere in the world with a manual transmission. Yes, no?

Yes, indeed. ;)

Regards,
    Jose
    Last week I (again) drove uphill my 335d with Bridgestone Potenza RFT summer tires for a few miles on up to 5 inches of fresh snow.

To do so, I switched off the traction control (but not the sliding one) as recommended in the BMW manual. To start moving from a full stop, it was enough to put the stick in D mode or M mode and release the brake pedal. Torque was tamed. Too much pressure on the accelerator then or afterwards and the rear end could start to sideslip, though it was easy to control the sliding. With snow tires I don't feel it would be difficult to drive safely a 335d on snow for more long distances — provided enough ground clearance.

Here is some pics of the car (in a parking lot free of snow above of the snowed road)

Regards,
    Jose
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Great photos -- a haunted treescape. Where were they taken?
    Where were they taken?

In the parking lot of the entrance to Pont d'Espagne. Pont d'Espagne is a mountain pass (by foot) between France and Spain. It belongs to the Central Pyrenees National Park which extends itself on both sides of the border. Closer villages to Pont d'Espagne are Cauterets in France and Panticosa in Spain.

You may see more pics of the place in my CarSpace Albums:

April Snow (2009)

Central Pyrenees 2007

Here is some example from there

Regards,
    Jose
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Thanks Jose, It is something I did not expect in Spain. Another good reason to visit your country. That and being able to rent a diesel car. :shades:

We are so behind the rest of the world on vehicles. We have been stuck with dinosaurs like GM, Ford & Chrysler for so long. Maybe when they go broke we will get some decent vehicles here in the USA.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    Maybe when they go broke we will get some decent vehicles here in the USA.

Not if CARB & the EPA have anything to say about it.

Then there's the "image" thing which seems to drive BMW to send over the biggest baddest diesel in the lineup, rather than one or two of the really economical ones they have already available.

I agree with you by the way, but I've very nearly given up hope.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Emissions laws will never be rescinded, but it's possible new laws might be postponed or that existing laws could be somewhat modified.

It would be political death to revoke emissions laws in those states with huge car populations. Nobody really wants that anyway.
    Indeed, that is how BMW ( for example, there are others) are able to have a great outlet for their gasser fuel guzzlers !!! Life is good !! Heaven help us that we should actually let in cars that ACTUALLY GET better fuel mileage!? Why get 35-40 mpg when 20-16 mpg will do JUST fine? Now these are the "cheapo" entry cars!?

EPA Mileage Estimates - Manual (City / Highway / Combined): 17 mpg / 26 mpg / 20 mpg;

link title

Of course my fav is the 16 mpg BMW M3

EPA Mileage Estimates - Manual (City / Highway / Combined): 14 mpg / 20 mpg / 16 mpg; ;)
    That's the manufacturer's choice. Either their cars meet USA emissions and safety standards or they don't, regardless of MPG. You want to sell here, you follow the same rules as everybody else.
    Agreed, You also make what I am saying an absolute slam dunk- no brainer. However that position is the sound of one hand clapping. It is also defacto the position of the granting authority. Or if we want to start the convolution game, Less is good !!!??? Greater consumption has economic consequences aka benefits......... and or vice versa.
    Well one could argue that if you provide more fuel-efficient luxury gas or (same thing) cars that got double the gas mileage, everyone would just consume it twice as fast. The free market has this pathological quality to it on the upper end of consumer items.

Would the owner of a 335d drive his new spiffy car just as much he might his old 750iL?

You betcha he would (I would too). Why not, I can afford it.

This is why I find it a bit strange to push diesels in the luxury end of the market as an "economical" car. People who can afford such a nice car as a 335 can afford as much fuel as they require for their pleasure. The idea that this type of car is somehow beneficial to mankind is rather ephemeral.

Of course it is certainly beneficial to the person driving it. Beats a Yaris all to hell. And for those destined to drive Yari, why not a turbo diesel version and the money saved goes to groceries?
    Surely one can, BUT as it applies to the 2009 BMW 335 D, that argument is truly a no show. In test drives, the computer indicated app 33 mpg and I was far from gentle. (not abusive however) Indeed if I were to get it, it would be for its longer distance attibutes, aka HELL of a ROAD CAR... and OH by the way you can actually commute with it !! However most BMW owners would probably chose to...fly???

Almost EVERYONE that I know anyway that has so called higher end cars has ridiculously low mileage. Indeed one can even ask in terms of mileage, why one even bought it?
  • cctdicctdi Member Posts: 82
    The car in the snow road on the picture is new to me, we don’t get the one door coupe style 355D here in States.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/cctdi/IMG_0760.jpg

For the snow roads in scenario like the pictures l take this car out; with 553 ft of toque, what a friend of this car!
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/cctdi/DSC01136.jpg
    For snow bowling, the S8 will be a lot of fun.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/cctdi/DSC01043a.jpg
    The Bimmer which brings its possible best luxury car in really clean diesel form first time to this shore is not appreciated by most of people here, just because it is a diesel! To me, the 335D feels lighter and faster than the 335xi or 535xi, after I fully road test and daily driving the 335D, the bulky 750Li now is somewhat disgusting. Yes, you feel you drive a diesel car, because the neck breaking pushing back as you stomp down the pedal, and you feel it while you pull up the diesel isle in a gas station, currently in South Jersey, the diesel price is same as the premium, you don’t feel the pinch any more, how about the UREA thing? I was very concerned too; now, I don’t feel its existence except purposely looking down the small ring shape cover on the driver side rear bumper. And odd enough, the 35D engine looks smaller than the 35i.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/cctdi/IMG_0765.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/cctdi/IMG_0763-1.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/cctdi/DSC01140-1.jpg
  • mr42hhmr42hh Member Posts: 9
    The car in the snow road on the picture is new to me, we don’t get the one door coupe style 355D here in States.

We get the 335d wagon too, and 535d sedan and wagon, 635d coupe and convertible too. X3, X5, X6 as well.
    Oddly, there is no 335d convertible. Just 320d, 325d and 330d.
    how about the UREA thing?

No need of urea for diesel cars in Europe. I figure out if we should used it it would be not a concern, as you say. I think is manufactured odorless, and as I posted time age, urea, even natural, is good for the skin. :surprise:

Regards,
    Jose
  • senorpilotsenorpilot Member Posts: 2
    I have read many of your posts, (Rice and Jose). I recently came home from Spain, and fell in love with the 118d. If that car were brought here, "image" may improve vs. decline. One never knows.

In any event, after driving the pyrenees in that "rental" car, I can only say that I now wish I had never driven that car. I want it here SOOOO much!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    In any event, after driving the pyrenees in that "rental" car, I can only say that I now wish I had never driven that car. I want it here SOOOO much!

I felt the same way after driving a 1.9 TDi A3 back in 2001 in Germany & Switzerland. I came home wanting one then, but it wasn't available. Still isn't, at least with a manual transmission.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    On February 2008 my wife and I drove a hired 118d from Pyrenees to Alps and back. The car was such a gem (fuel economy, power and drivability) than my wife bought a 2009 118d for herself. "My" 2008 335d coupe is not a better car to her eyes :sick: . (Yet she likes driving it if given the opportunity. :confuse: )

Regards,
    Jose
  • lhn5lhn5 Member Posts: 37
    I am interested in a few cars including the BMW 3 series. I really don't know much about a diesel engine. What variables should I consider in 328 vs 335 vs 335d? Are turbo engines problematic in hot climates? Thanks.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    What variables should I consider in 328 vs 335 vs 335d?

Drive all three and decide based on which one makes you smile the most. To me the 328i feels a bit more nimble, the 335i is seriously fast, and the 335d returns exceptional fuel economy coupled with very good performance. My main gripe with the diesel is that a manual transmission is not available. In my case I'd probably go with a 328i M Sport with a manual tranny.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
  • auaqauaq Member Posts: 12
  • auaqauaq Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2011
    My family and I are thinking of buying a new car probably such as the focus, corolla, camry, civic, and altima perhaps (all from 2011 models). I have been looking in for a diesel for quite a while now and am prepared to have one. The thing is our budget is somewhere around 20 grand. There are only four diesel available in us namely vw (golf, jetta tdi), audi a3, bmw 335d, and merc e350 blutech, but they all cost more than our budget. Now of course we haven't tried a financial check yet on the diesels nor have test drove them, but do you think I could afford one with 60 - 72 month installments. What I mean is that how much on a rough estimate are the monthly installments (for those who have one could answer my question). Mind you I am not good when it comes to financial stuff and accounting cause i leave that to my father, so bear with me. I am trying to find a car which may satisfy me and my family on long term ownership like comfort wise, reliability and durability, and the size of the car (like medium size sedans, small cars would do if it has got space at the back). Aside from the known reputation of diesel engines what other things i should be concerned about like the buttons/switches, the little stuff that can easily go wrong (window motors, door locks, lights, etc.) which can cost us dearly.

Thanks
    I am not so sure that your post is not a "put on", but on the assumption that it is not...

With $20,000 as a budget, you are NOT shopping for a new diesel engine car, with the possable exception of something like a demo VW Jetta diesel. You do have enough budget for a nice Certified VW Jetta diesel sedan or (better) wagon and that is your best bet. Forget about new Merc or Beemer diesels...you cannot afford a $50,000+ new car with a $20,000 budget. A used 335d will still cost you about $40,000, so forget used BMW diesels. Now you can get a 2005-2006 MB W211 E320 cdi for close to your budget if not at it, but it will have a lot of miles and not much warranty left (even if it's a Certified). With a diesel, a lot of miles is no big deal and the E320 cdi diesel is one of the best. The problem is, it's in a Merc and Merc's are not Toyota-like in reliability and not cheap to fix when they break. This is pretty much true of all German cars. They are nicely designed, drive nice, but not all that reliable and pricey to fix for all but the simplest things. They tend to be needlessly complex, too.

The other thing is that while a diesle will get you about 30% better mileage, you can lose 10% and more of that advantage on the price of diesel vs. regular. Plus on older models (like the W211 E320 cdi), there really is a bit of an odor issue (I have one, trust me, it's true.) The newer models with urea injection and the later W211 BluTec V6's lack the odor issue. Not huge, but it is there.

If you are going to drive big miles at highway speeds (diesels do not do well on short city commutes...they don't warm up fast) and can live with spotty VW reliability, a 1-2 year old Jetta wagon diesel is the way to go. The DSG auto transmission is decent, but I have heard that they wear pretty quick and are pricey to fix. The manual is robust, but the clutch is not one of the better ones (to use) and the shift is a bit rubbery. Overall, it is a very nice car...almost bought one myself...and gives Prius-level highway mileage.

If I were you, I would buy a nice used Lexus or Infiniti or Acura sedan.

- nopcbs
  • rmorin1249rmorin1249 Member Posts: 8
    I bought my 335d in March at a discount of about $8500 off MSRP including the EcoCredit. I have driven the car just short of 15K miles and have had ZERO issues. It was serviced at 13K miles at a cost of $0. I have averaged 32-34 mpg on my daily 60 mile RT commute. It is about 30% city and 70% highay driving. On a highway trip I have gotten as much as 40 mpg at a steady 70-75 mph on level highways. I do not have the sport package so this means 17" all season tires which provide a decent ride and good handling. I have owned over 10 new BMWs and this is the best commuter car I have ever owned.
    Glad to hear it. Keep us posted on how well you like the vehicle. Or dislike, though that is not likely. I like the X5 with the same engine. Just not ready to drop the cash.
    Out of curiosity, have you run the numbers on actual cost to operate (I mean fuel) on your 335d with diesel at whatever you pay vs. a 328 (using EPA estimates...they are pretty good nowadays) using regular (or premium, if you prefer).

In Mi, diesel is at $4.00 to $4.10 a gallon now. Regular is at $3.12 and premium 20 cents more. We pay 30% more for diesel than gasoline and the mpg advantage is nowhere near that vs. a comparable gas engine. More like 20%. Plus it is winter and diesels are slow to warm up and hate running "cold" in terms of mpg. I love my diesel, but sure wish diesel was at near parity to gas in price.
    Winter is kind of a double whammy on diesel drivers. Still a lot of people heating their homes with diesel. Keeps the price high during the winter. Though I did not see much relief this year even in summer months.

Looking at the X5 35D on the economy website, I see owners getting 30 MPG overall with mostly highway driving. That is nearly double my mileage on my last trip to AZ. I got 16 MPG in my SUV. Not to mention the range is almost double. Today in San Diego diesel is available close to me for $3.79 and Premium for $3.51. Only 7% more. Making the diesel X5 a clear winner. Diesel would have to be closer to $6 per gallon to be a factor.

People reporting mileage on the 2011 335d show over all average of 33-38 MPG. Which is much higher than the flaky EPA estimate of 27 MPG.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=29851&id=30056
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    While the biased EPA numbers may indicate a 20% difference in fuel economy when comparing say a 328i and a 335d, in the real world the difference is significantly greater than that, and the 335d will suck the doors off the 328i at the same time.

The above said, the 335d cannot be had with a manual transmission, and as such, it will never find its way into any garage of mine.
  • genjonesgenjones Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps if you read a recent BMW CCA article on a 335is where the author hopped up his car to what sounds like 335d performance (with the Sport Package of course!) you might notice how he stated his favorite part of the car was the automatic transmission.

The 335d comes with the more durable, possibly better automatic that the 7 series has to boot!

I won't argue about manual transmissions, I love them dearly, and BMW makes some of the best, but lets not drink too much Kool-Aid shall we! Many people can enjoy such a car in every day driving with a competent automatic.
    I think turbo diesels and automatics are a match made in heaven---the two make more sense together than with a manual transmission--the automatic is smart and picks the exactly right match of torque to shifting. You *can* rev modern diesels up more than years past, but I'm not sure it does you very much good to go anywhere near redline.
  • genjonesgenjones Member Posts: 2
    My Beetle TDI was just fine with a manual tranny - better than my Daughter's DSG automatic. It's just the torque-monster 335d that only the high end automatic can handle apparently. Same thing happened with the early Panteras, the 1994 Corvette and I'm sure some other exotic machinery in the past.