Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Audi A4

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    3) The speedometer goes to 180 mph. Not only is that absurd, since the salesman told me that the car is linited to 120 mph...

FWIW, per the brochure, the car is limited to 130 mph (typical for cars with "H" rated tires).

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    I think you'll easily get 30 mpg + on the 09 2.0 Quattro on the higway. Ask most current Audi customers with 05.5 to 08 Audi 2.0 T quattros, and 30 plus on the highway is very possible. Audi is pretty conservative on highway numbers with the new EPA ratings.

I have a 2008 4.2 V8 350 hp. Just took a trip to the beach 180 miles. Cruise set on 75 and I was getting over 27 MPG. The factory ratings with the new EPA is only 23 on my car. For a car that's big and heavy, I was really surprised my 4.2 A6 mileage was that good on the highway. The FSI direct injection really helps.

I just drove the new 09 A4 with the upgraded 2.0T, and it's quite an awesome motor. The torque is incredible at lower RPM's. It feels like a V6 under the hood.

Gone is the old noisy 2.0 from 05.5 to 08. Balance shafts control the noise and the new 09 model is incredibly quiet compared to the old one.

As for the interior, the new MMI in the A4 is a step up, IMO from the old one.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Member Posts: 108
    Where are you guys able to test drive these cars? BMW is beating down my door on a deal for a 2008 335i, but I'm waiting until I test drive the new A4. I'm an Audi believer, and have an 06 Audi on lease that I absolutely love. I'm brand loyal, but it's hard to pass up on a 335i paired with a manual, especially at what they are offering.

The car goes on sale in September, right?
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    Only the largest Audi dealers are getting some cars which are designated for demo purposes only. They can't sell these. I know our dealer was expecting fully loaded models, but received the base premium models. As I previously stated, they are haveing a party next Thursday to formally introduce these cars. They said they hope to have more, however, I believe these would also be for demo purposes. They are not expecting to make any deliveries this month, but some may trickle in early.
    Thanks for the feedback. That likely means for Charlotte, we won't see the demo cars until next month, much like the rest of the country. Has your dealership released anything on pricing?
  • willbuyan09willbuyan09 Member Posts: 10
    I think I am going to order an A4 tomorrow. I have been looking into buying a new car for the last 8 months. I saw a guy with an 08 A5 yesterday and he was kind enough to let me take a peek. (The inside is like the 09 A4). It is gorgeous and I want one.

I have a couple of question is anyone can advise me.

First--I am having a difficult time deciding between the sedan and Avant. I currently have an SUV and the idea of the cargo room is very appealing. However, I don't want to ruin the sportiness (or the perception) of the car. Any comments to help me decide?

Second--I have never ordered a car before. And this is pretty crazy since I can't test drive it. (I live in the Denver area). But, I need a new car by Dec. 31. Any advice for this?

I do have a deal breaker. My husband is 6'4" and has a long torso, so, we have to make sure he can fit in the car comfortably.

Going to the dealer tomorrow.
  • traderjtraderj Member Posts: 39
    2.0T sedan Quatro - Premium $32,700 Premium Plus-$36,700 Prestige-$40,000

3.2 FSI Quatro -Premium Plus $40,000 Prestige-$43,300

2.0t Avant Quatro -Premium $34,500 Premium Plus-$38,500 Prestige-$41,800

Add $825- to all prices for Destination Charges

I don't have the individual Option prices
  • jmd23jmd23 Member Posts: 13
    You can build your Audi A4 from AudiUSA.com -- 3.2 Quattro Prestige with all the bells and whistles will set you back $53k plus -- still a lot of car for the money, IMO.

willbuyan09
    The Avant ONLY comes in 2.0 4-cylinder form. It you're okay with that, everything else is the same as the sedan in options.

A dealer told me it will take 3 months when ordering a car, but with supply issues it may take longer if you want the S-Line package -- which is very nice if you can wait for it.
  • willbuyan09willbuyan09 Member Posts: 10
    Went to the dealership yesterday with husband. He sat in the 08 A4 sedan since the headroom will be the same in the 09. He doesn't fit. His head hits the headliner. He is 6'4" with a long torso.

I have been checking out cars for 8 months and decided on this car. I really thought he would fit because he fits in the G. I am soooooo frustrated.

He fits in the A5 (not practical for the family or work) and the A6. I may look closer at the A6, but, it has the same features at the A4 for more money and less fuel economy.

Back to the drawing board. :cry:
    I just went to Audi USA and saw they have the pricing up for the new A4; however, they didn't have any pricing available for the manual transmission. Anyone else notice this? I looked all throughout the specs of the new A4, and didn't see anything eluding to the manual (particularly for the 2.0T under the Detailed Specs under Transmission, all-wheel drive), but some of their pictures display the manual in it (i.e. selecting the S-Line package).

Just want to make sure I'm not batty and I'm missing it, even though it might be painfully obvious. Assuming this holds up (no manual, which I sincerely doubt), any one else find this to be a deal breaker, or am I one of the few that still believes in three pedals?
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Per the brochure I have for the new A4, the 2.0T 6-Speed manual will be released in 2009.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    "I just went to Audi USA and saw they have the pricing up for the new A4; however, they didn't have any pricing available for the manual transmission. Anyone else notice this? I looked all throughout the specs of the new A4, and didn't see anything eluding to the manual (particularly for the 2.0T under the Detailed Specs under Transmission, all-wheel drive... "

The manual A4 will not be available until 2009 (according to Audi literature). Now that might mean January or it might be December (but then that would be a 2010 model). So my guess is that the manual will not be out until perhaps spring '09.

But what's got my shorts in knots is that there will not be a manual Avant. Those dogs! Nothing like paying extra for something that (slightly) slows the car down, hits the mpg, and decreases driver involvement.
    Thanks Shipo / Byron. Unfortunately, that doesn't do much for me since my lease is up in February. Makes it difficult to plan for the next car especially when there are good deals going on with 2008 models (and not just for Audi). Oh what's a guy to do . . .

Now the fact the manual isn't coming in the Avant does chap my . . . . well, you know. Not that I'm old enough for a station wagon (although I'm getting close to that age).

I know we discussed the manual situation ad nauseum, but it does irk me that that manuals aren't released right away. Grrrrr!!
  • numero1numero1 Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,

Just ordered a 09 Audi A4 2.0 sedan white exterior with black interior, prestige with navigation. Paid 43k including destination charge for the car, another 4k in state taxes, new plates, dealer prep, etc... Dealer had a base 09 A4 with no led daytime running lights. When I sat in rear seats, there was more room than the Mercedes c350 I sat in a week before.

I live in long Island, the dealer said he should have the car between September 8-15. I can't wait until then!!!"
    Congratulations on the new car. I assume you could only purchase it in the tiptronic transmission, correct?

Anyone else think the price for 2.0T with the prestige package is a little high ($40K listed on Audi's website)? I know it's loaded to the hilt, but you can get a base 335i for $39 / $40K (assuming you just want the base model and want the performance, which most people don't do).

Anyway, just my 2 1/2 cents.
    Thank you! Yep, got it in tiptronic transmission.
  • discostewdiscostew Member Posts: 29
    I was gung ho on buying a 2009 Avant. After discovering no manual, tough pricing ($45k?!?), and less than stellar MPG, I scrambled to find a left over 2008 manual full s-line avant. Scored one of two left on the East Coast. Paid about $32k for it. I really hope Audi reconsiders the manual choice.
    The pricing kills me, especially on the A4 sedan with the S-Line package ($43K). That seems like a lot of money for a four banger.

I've been calling dealerships in DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc to try to find some dealer who knows something about the release of the manual in the sedan outside of 1Q09. Based on my conversations, it sounds like those on this board know more than the dealers. I hate waiting . . . . :)
  • kyh1kyh1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi bigpapaluke, may I know does your A4 09 comes with S line package at the price of $43k? Or it only comes with prestige package with navigation? I don't know if it is worth paying $43k for prestige package with navigation or should I stick with premium plus package with navigation for a slightly lower price?

This is my first time purchasing a car so I want to make sure nothing goes wrong. Anything else I should look out for when purchasing cars? I read through several websites on things to take note of but I am not sure if I missed out any important points to take note when buying a new car. It seems to me that dealers are taking this chance to mark up the price for this new model since its rather popular. Guess its difficult to negotiate below MSRP! :(

And I have problems deciding between either a black or white exterior, any opinions? Thank you guys! :)
    It's a bummer you have to spring for the pricier prestige package in order to get S line, and it does take it into that lower 40's price point.

S line is differnet for 09. Last years S line was just more of a cosmetic treatment and larger wheels/sport suspension. The new 09 A4 has true recaro style sport seats, and 19 inch wheels as well. All the seats were the same in the 08 model regardless if it was S line or not.

The new 09 A4 is not even on sale yet, so there could be some changes to the order guide as Audi finds out what people do and don't like.

75% of sales will probably be premium and premium plus models. There's a lot fo equiptment in the premium plus model, and it's priced right @ under 37k.

You can't get an AWD MB or BMW with xenons, dual memory & power seats, bluetooth, sat radio, ipod for 36k. Audi's new 2.0 Turbo is a better motor than either BMW's or MB base V6's.

Audi has to make up money somewhere, and it's on the higher end options.
    Bang for the buck with AWD, you're right, Audi is where it's at. And Audi's improved turbo engine is going to be a much more fun drive than BMW's base 3.0L or MB's too.

For me, the S line is about the aggressive exterior styling, the wheels are hot, and I love Audi's sport suspension. But again, my beef is that in order to get the S Line, you have to get the prestige. And that's what sky rockets the cost to $43K, which doesn't even include navigation (not that I want that).

So to your point, they may make some order guide changes as sales pick up on the 09s. I just wish they could be more definitive on when the manual transmission become available, and offer more flexibility with their option pairing. Am I asking for too much? :)
    The A4 that I'm interested in was equipped with the Prestige and the S-Line package. My primary focus is the S-Line, but per Audi, I can't get the S-Line without the prestige. If I added Navigation, I think that's an extra $2500, which would put it around $45K.

In terms of your question, I would do a comparison on what comes on the Premium Plus vs the Prestige and make your decision that way. The prestige comes with Advance Key, upgraded audio package, park assist, side assist, whereas the Premium Plus does not. So if those things aren't important to you, and you want Navigation, save yourself some money and go with the premium plus. It really comes down to personal choice.

As far as other things to look for in a car, I would check road noise, braking, acceleration, handling, feel of the materials, location of cup holders . . . but again, I'm uber picky and meticulous with my car purchase. Others on this board look for other things when they drive it. So it really boils down to how the car feels for you.

Finally, car color . . . honestly, I'm going to go white with mine because based on the pictures online, the white really pronounces the car's lines and gives it a meaty look (especially with the S Line wheels). Black is also hot too, but in pollen season, a bare to clean. Again, comes down to personal choice. :)
    ''Just ordered a 09 Audi A4 2.0 sedan white exterior with black interior, prestige with navigation. Paid 43k including destination charge for the car, another 4k in state taxes, new plates, dealer prep, etc.'' - bigpapaluke

You previously mentioned you ordered one with navigation and prestige package all at 43k. Does that mean it includes the S-Line package? If you ordered with a prestige with navigation and S-Line package for 43k I think its a very very good deal.
    That wasn't me - that was numero1. My guess is by the configuration, it was prestige with nav without the S-line. But I would ask him / her.
    Oops, I saw the name wrongly!
    Yeah I didn't get the S-line package. I would have to wait 3 months to take delivery of the car :(

I read Audi was having supply problems with S-line components.
  • henrysignhenrysign Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why the S-Line Package is on hold and when it will be here? I can’t get a straight answer. I have even called Germany. I see that kyh1 said 3 months, but i am being told they have no clue when the S-Line will be available. I hate responses like that from Audi....Your selling a 40K + car and don’t know when or exactly why an option is not available? Very frustrating!
  • henrysignhenrysign Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know why the S-Line Package is on hold and when it will be here? I can’t get a straight answer. I have even called Germany. I see that kyh1 said 3 months, but i am being told they have no clue when the S-Line will be available. I hate responses like that from Audi....Your selling a 40K + car and don’t know when or exactly why an option is not available? Very frustrating!
  • jmd23jmd23 Member Posts: 13
    3 months is what I'm being told. A dealer emailed me the entire model year 2009 order guide. And in red text it says S-line packages not currently available.

It's worth the wait -- if you can wait :-(
    Audi has supplier problems and can't make enough of the 19 inch rims - so no S line are available at this time.

Probably a 10-12 week delay in ordering cars with S line 19 inch rims.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    But what's got my shorts in knots is that there will not be a manual Avant. Those dogs! Nothing like paying extra for something that (slightly) slows the car down, hits the mpg, and decreases driver involvement.

Perhaps AUDI USA cannot sell enough manual A4 Avants to warrant the expense of importing them? Subaru killed off their manual trans Forester Turbo for that same reason.
    You are correct....so few people buy a 6 speed Avant that it's not worth the cost of production to bring it over. The US market is not very eager to buy manual wagons.
  • techtooltechtool Member Posts: 6
    I just completed a 50 mile test drive in an '09 A4 3.2. It had no options and was stickered at $40K. For context, I have a 2002 A6 2.7T (automatic) I have owned since new. The new A4 has total Audi "identity." It looks, feels, and drives like an Audi. In fact, except for the fact it's just a little bit smaller, it feels almost exactly like my A6. It feels much more substantial than the prior A4. Acceleration is very satisfying, with just a little off the line sluggishness. Handling and ride are great, and the car is quiet. The back seat and trunk are spacious and take the A4 into the "we all can go out to dinner comfortably" mode. It doesn't have the kind of "direct connect" feel I have found in every BMW I have ever driven, that is, it's an Audi. Other than some of the new technology features, e.g., Bluetooth, which is very easy to use, it seems an awful lot like my 6 year old A6, though, of course, tighter and newer feeling. It gets better gas mileage (around 25 according to the computer vs. 21 that the A6 would have delivered on the same route). My A6 listed at $44.5 K in 2002, so the new A4 is a relative bargain. I liked it a lot, but didn't find anything radically new in the car. I will definitely have it on the list when it's time to retire the A6, which has been one of the best cars I have ever owned -- and totally reliable and dependable.
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    I've been driving a 2006 A4 3.2 with lease due in 2 months. Stopped in at the dealer in Charlotte, NC, and drove the 2.0 and 3.2 models. Both cars were black with beige interior and had the lowest trim, hence no sport package. The 2.0 surprised me with its torque. Felt more like my 3.2 and stronger. Quieter too. The 3.2 felt much like my current 3.2 though not as quick off the mark -- probably due to lack of break in on the demo car that had only 120 miles on it. But the 2.0 felt quicker than the 3.2, though I'm not sure it actually was. Also worthy of note is that the wretched lurch/lunge from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear when in the normal "Drive" gear, seems to have gone away. Seems Audi has adjusted the revs at which these gears change. Curious to see if others have noticed that, too. Can tell much more leg room in rear. Front seats more comfortable as well. New dash layout is big improvement, though did not have many buttons around gear shifter on the low trim level I drove. The speedo dial has terrible scaling on it. The needle hardly moves up and you're at 60 mph, which on my current A4 the same needle position reads about 40 mph -- this is a bad change. Handling was down on expectations, but probably because of the narrower wheels/tires than the higher trims. Don't know if I'm going to get the '09 A4 because the configuration I want is not even available for order with no idea on when it will be. Leaning to the '09 BMW 335. If somehow I did go with the A4, I don't see why I'd go past the 2.0 engine.
  • mjlewis32mjlewis32 Member Posts: 3
    Really appreciate all of this info as I narrow down my A4 purchasing decision; having a difficult time deciding to go with the 2.0T or the 3.2 V6. Assuming the approx $3k difference isn't a major factor, I want to get the engine I'm going to be happiest with...any thoughts on this?

Also debating whether to hold out for the S-Line or just going with Prestige and a Sport package and getting my order in.

Thanks for any thoughts...Audi doesn't make this easy.
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    You and the dealer didn't happen to pull into the Boston Market on Independence Blvd. did you? I was sitting there with the GF and a new black A4 rolled into the parking lot. Someone was test driving it. It is really a beautiful car. My silver '07 A4 was sitting right there. I think this was Saturday. Cheers.
    Was the Charlotte dealership a popular place to test drive a car? I just got back form there this afternoon. I drove the 2.0T. I thought is was a solid engine, but I can't get a sense of how it truly operates because I am looking at it with a manual transmission.

Speaking of manual, the dealership just informed me the A4 won't be releasing the car in a manual transmission until the 2010 model. Anyone else hear that? If so, this is pretty much a deal breaker and am going in a different direction since my lease is up in February 2009. Has anyone else heard this discouraging news?
    Wasn't me. I was there Friday.
    Here's your problem, which is my problem as well -- you cannot order a prestige trim with sport package just yet because it requires the 19" wheels that are not available. Others on this thread have mentioned supplier-related issues with no known date to resolve. The dealer has no knowledge about availability on this option.

Question for all -- with the sports package and Audi drive select options, can you only have one or the other, but not both? Seems to me you can't have both. On Audi's site you can't configure a car with sports package (I think a web page error). Any insights? Problem is you can't get paddle shifters with the Audi drive select option, which is what I would lilke.
  • tkrbytkrby Member Posts: 1
    I am located in charlotte NC as well. I went down and looked at the 2009 A4 as well and was pretty impressed. Quick question for any of the Charlotte people? Have any of you had any experience negotiation with Audi of Charlotte? How are they? Right now i am looking at the 09 A4 2.0 or the 2008 Infiniti G35.

I am gettting the vibe from the sales team at Audi that there wont be much negotiating on the 09.
  • rascal99rascal99 Member Posts: 54
    I bought my 07 A4 from Audi of CLT. The buying experience was great. Pretty relaxed. I basically told them what I wanted to pay and they agreed (the price was a few hundred over invoice). This was a copule years ago. Trying to get an '09 at a good price will be tough though. It is a new model and appears to be popular, and the economy in Charlotte is much better than average. FWIW, try to negotiate the price of the maintenence contract in to the deal. It is worth it, and the service at Audi of CLT has been very good so far; although, I am sure they are expensive once the service contract expires :surprise: Good luck.
  • a4audivaa4audiva Member Posts: 3
    Ordered my 2009 A4 2.0T late last week. My first Audi and I can't wait for it to arrive from Germany.

Premium Plus with the wood trim. Paid $37,400 (including destination, but not taxes, title.) This also included $500 off from Audi for attending the Audi A4 Driving Experience at Summit Point ( Very fun and free event that ended up saving me $500)

I live in a one dealer area in Virginia and I didn't feel that there was much negotiating yet. They seem to be selling these A4's before they even arrive in the US.

Tested the 3.2 at Summit Point and a 2.0 demo at the dealer. The 2.0 feels just as quick with all of the low end torque. Just my two cents. Instead of paying for the bigger engine ... spend that money on adding options.
    Not true you'll have to wait until '10 for a manual. They should be here 1st quarter 2009.

I'd personally skip the 3.2 and spend the money on extra options for the 2.0T as others have mentioned.

There's a huge difference between the 08 2.0T and the 09 2.0T. The new 2.0 is a heck of a lot quieter, smoother, and much more refined than the last generation 05.5 - 08 models. It's a pretty fast car, and the torque curve with 258 lb ft under 2000 rpm is all you need.
  • kikihowkikihow Member Posts: 20
    I just ordered the 2009 A4 2.0T in white with black interior and the Prestige Package, Navigation and 19" wheels. However, it's true that there is a hold up if you want the wheels or the sports line package. My dealer told me they expect to have just the 19" wheels as a single available option any day now. He's waiting for the option before he puts my order in.

The only thing I don't like is that the 2.0T has a greyish grille and not black. My dealer said he could send me to a guy who does their body work and for a $100-$200 I could get it painted piano black (sweet!)

I was surprised that I was able to negotiate a good price on the Audi given it's newness, redesign and demand. My dealer agreed to $1000 over invoice (I'll still be paying the stupid $200 advertising fee though) which comes out to be ~$41,700 (not including wheels). However, it's worth noting the difference between invoice and MSRP is only $2600, hey, but I'm not going to complain about a $1600 savings on a 2009 A4! In fact, they agreed to it so quickly I wish I had offered only $500 over invoice. Another Audi dealer who was suppose to be a "friend of the family" only offered me $999 off the MSRP. I guess what this means is that they can sell you these vehicles for under MSRP. :)
    I would agree. I bought my 06 Audi A4 back in Nov. 05, and I paid $800 over internet listed invoice. Very painless experience - probably the best buying experience I've had. Their service department is incredible. I would definitely recommend them if you found the right car.

I agree, the 09 models will be more difficult to negotiate on because they are new models. I think you can still get 3% over invoice, maybe slightly less. Give it a try and see what happens.
    Yes, I agree. My price ended up being 2.5% over invoice. There's an excellent FREE worksheet for figuring out what you should offer at CarBuyingTips.com. Also, Audi doesn't have any factory holdback like most car dealers do! Although, I'm sure the dealerships make their money somewhere :)
    Does anyone know when the 19" s-line wheel option (not package) will become available for the 2009 A4? Also, any ideas on what the MSRP/Invoice price will be for the wheels (or even approximately, maybe from past purchases)?
    :confuse:
    As of today, you're probrobly looking at a 2 month delay in ordering 19 inch wheels.
  • smaccoysmaccoy Member Posts: 1
    yes, i also heard here in northern virginia that the a4 sedan will have a manual in early 09. i also heard from my dealer here that the avant version will have a manual in 2010 but i'm trying to get a second opinion on that. multiple dealers in the area have said that the manual transmission issue is the biggest complaint they have heard from potential customers.
  • byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    "... multiple dealers in the area have said that the manual transmission issue is the biggest complaint they have heard from potential customers."

Exactly. I would probably have just gone ahead and ordered an Avant with a stick. But I'm on the fence for an AT Avant.

Just drove the A4 with the auto and, while the auto wasn't too bad, I have little interest in paying for one. It's additional $ for a small hit on performance and mileage. Phooey!

Also noticed that the sliver instrument surround doesn't work too well with the wood trim. The car seems better sans wood.

Final note was that the standard suspension was floaty and not at all to my liking. The car needs the sports suspension (or the fancy electromechanical suspension) for sure.