Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-7 Engine Problems

Comments

• Update...Mazda will NOT be honoring their warranty once again. Found out that they did agree that we did all of the maintenance as required, but they don't know what the original owner did with the vehicle... the problem here is that as 2 other mechanics told us, the maintenance (oil changes) had absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

I called their "Customer Care" and was told that they would pay $500 towards the $1600 repair and that they felt that was more than fair on their part. Really...? How? An attorney told us that NO that was not right. A car under warranty is under warranty. Period.

So, how do you fight that...? Well, we are going to pay for the repairs and trade it immediately. We WILL lose alot of money, but will get rid of the POS headache for good.

I think we can agree that things go wrong with products every day...but it's how we are treated that makes the difference of whether we will buy that product again or not. You would think Mazda would get that too!

None of us should ever give up! Keep spreading the word about Mazda... Facebook, emails, word of mouth...any way you can. I am going to keep calling Mazda, sending emails, contacting attorneys for a Class Action, whatever I can. Hopefully someday we will all get a big fat check in the mail for all tha we've had to deal with!!! Good luck all!
  • Bought a new cx7 2008 in 08 noticed rattling after you started for a min or two about 7 months ago! as of late failed Air test was told bye dealer needed a 02 censer replaced!DId that passed air test but a week later car engine would run but not move and im told my turbo is out and needs to be replaced ive never gotten any recall letter that ive read people here have gotten and im only at 65,000 miles and have done reg oil changes documented dont know what to do!
  • archearche Posts: 3
    edited February 2012
    I don't think it matters if you got the letter or not. It is a blanket warranty, take a look at the paper work here:

Turbo Warranty
  • Hi, I am trying to find information on a class action lawsuit as wee
    ll. Were you able to get any information regarding this? I (like many others) had my car stop running on me the other night while I was driving on the highway. I took it to a shop where I was told about the timing chain issue. I then called a mazda service dept where I was told I needed to provide all maintence records. Well, my dad has done most of the maintience (oil changes) on my car so I dont have records. Anyway I am a single mom with a 8 month old baby who needs a car and now I am left with out transportation for what sounds like will be an extremely long time.
  • I have a 07' CX7 and just experienced all this crap that so many others have. I see your post is a bit older however I was wondering if you know anything about a class action suit against them. I am so stuck on what to do. I am a single mom of an 8 month old and am barely getting by as it is. I need my car!!!
  • Wow, I was all ready to go look at the new CX-5, but this discussion changed my mind. I realize it's a completely different vehicle with different powertrain components, but I don't like the fact that Mazda has given you all such lousy service and not taken responsibility for what is obviously an inherent issue with that particular model. Cars are generally so reliable these days - I'm sorry you are all having such problems. It also goes to show why it's important to read the forums, and not just the edmunds.com reviews.
  • I'm sooo glad that you did your research and found your way to this forum!

Makes me happy to know that people are getting the facts about Mazda and NOT buying their junk. (They do however make some good looking lemons... their designers should get together with some good engineers and make a vehicle that kicks butt!)

Thanks for posting your decision not to buy a Mazda, hopefully others will read this and follow suit! Trust me, you most likely saved yourself alot of heartache.

We took a big $ loss and left our POS right at the dealer where it was getting fixed. They were wonderful and apologized over and over for the crappy service from Mazda, so we traded it off and left in right there where it still sits waiting for parts. We decided to buy American this time and got a Ford Escape Limited! It is awesome!

Oh, and just an FYI...do yourself a favor and get a 6 cylinder. It was recommended by all mechanics that we dealt with. Best of luck to you in your quest for a new vehicle...and good job again on your research!
  • Mazda sent out letter stating recall on turbo caused bye white smoke out of tail pipes! before my turbo went out was failing emission test caused from a engine problem so the test said! Turbo went out took it to mazda dealer they replaced converter,gasket,fuel and air censor under warranty but not turbo becuz since turbo is broken they cannot start it to determine if it has indeed has whits smoke coming out of tailpipes! so i was told i have to replace turbo which is a crock of S#$%! just a week before all this happened took it to dealer hooked it up on computer to check why it was falling emission test told me it was a co2 censor and nothing else was wrong and co2 censor wasnt covered on warranty paid for that on my own two anyone filling a class action lawsuit or invovled in one have all documents of oil changes,repairs etc!
  • Being screwed over by Mazda as we speak! HELP!!!!! If I may ask how much did your repairs cost to replace the turbo. I'm not sure whether to repair and trade in or just leave it as is.
  • Mazda actually capitulated and paid for half; the dealership admitted there was a "possibility" that the major engine work they did the week before the turbo failure "may have led" to the failure and kicked in half of what was left, so I only paid $800. They charged cost for the parts, and ate some of the labor. Before Mazda corporate accepted anything (I was at 60,100 miles) or any discounts, it was $4800. That seems to be about average.
    Depending on your mileage, you can try to get a repair; since they extended the warranty it might help you, and just badger the h*ll out of the corporate rep you call (call the toll-free customer service number; the dealer staff are worthless) and tell them how many messages you've seen online, that by extending the warranty they've admitted liability, blah, blah, blah. Try to sound lawyerly. :) Don't threaten a suit--that just makes them mad and will shut them down talking to you (I'm a paralegal, so I know whereof I speak).
    I will saw that my "new" turbo, now only 6,000 miles old, already is whistling, which means it's heading toward another failure. Leaving it "as is" is NOT an option; your engine will eventually completely die on you.
    Good luck, we're all in this together.
  • ckbolesckboles Posts: 16
    After 60 days of hassle with Mazda and the Dealership, I took my car to an excellent independent mechanic. Repair for turbo + timing chain was $3000, vs. $10,000 from the Dealer, who refused to repair individual parts, and would only do an engine replacement.
    My mechanic said the car will run perfectly with the parts they are put in, and is puzzled by the Dealership response. I am appalled by this entire situation, and can't help wondering what the Dealer motive is to decline cost effective repairs.
    Anyway, if you can fix the car cost effectively, do it, then trade it in if they'll give you a fair price for it!
  • bryancosbryancos Posts: 282
    On Sunday, February 19, 2012 my 2007 Mazda CX7 also became a casualty of an engine failure due to the faulty timing chain at close to 80K mi. The VVT actuator pin apparently broke, resulting in engine failure. The vehicle had made no prior warning signs or noises indicative of a problem. It simply stopped running on the highway at 65MPH. The car became disabled on a winding mountain road and because the breakdown happened so suddenly I had to maneuver into the center median so I would not be blocking an actual lane of travel. Still we were in danger of being hit if an inattentive driver came along, and it was fortunate that a passing sheriff's deputy and his partner spotted us and pulled in behind us with his emergency lighting activated to warn approaching drivers until a tow truck arrive about an hour or so later. This could have been a really dangerous situation.

I have a third party zero deductible extended warranty that was purchased through the credit union when I bought the car used at 45K mi. I had read about issues with the turbo and AC before I bought the car so felt the warranty would come in handy. I was right. Fortunately I had all the service records for all full synthetic oil changes, tune ups, etc. both from the previous owner and from my service visits. I had to wait for an adjuster to look at the car after the dealer had diagnosed the problem before work could begin, and it took TEN DAYS of being without a vehicle before the warranty company notified the dealership that replacement of the engine was authorized and I was finally placed into a rental car. They say it could take at least 2-3 weeks (maybe longer) for the car to be ready... it'll take a week or more just for the parts to be shipped! I'm one of the few lucky ones who didn't have anyone pull the "engine sludge" excuse... I'll be interested to see how the car runs when I get it back, but will certainly be babying it until it's properly broken in. If I'm lucky I'll see the car by the end of March 2012.
  • Is there anyone interested in a class action lawsuit regarding the CX7 extended warrantly letter regarding the VVT or variable valve timing issue. I have a car beyond their limit with the problem and it is not going to be covered unless you have service records from Mazda. etc. It is about $2000. I am not the only one. While there a woman came in with the same problem and was told no independent mechanic will touch it and when one does call in for parts they are given the run around on availablity. I also had the aiar compressor issue after warranty and was luckily later reimbursed but this is too much. I am ready to put on the pressure as I aee I am not alone. Enough is enough
  • sbmazdasbmazda Posts: 8
    Following up on my post. Took into dealer on 2/29 to have breather kit installed and I have not seen any amount of smoke or smell since (cross fingers). They mentioned that while they were in there that the turbo looked good. I will keep reporting back, hopefully with good new!
  • minnieaminniea Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    That's a good news indeed..Mazda is taking underselling models out of the rotation. Models like the RX-8 sports car and the Tribute aren't selling, and thus they got to go. Next out the door is the CX-7, which is being exchanged by the CX-5. Mazda discontinues CX-7crossover in U.S.. The CX-7 crossovers SUV by Mazda is barely different than the CX-5 and doesn't sell very

well.
    Had the exact SAME issue... almost identical mileage (just shy of 80k mi) at time of failure about one month ago! My repairs are (thankfully) being covered by my 3rd party warranty company. Vehicle is still in for repairs at the dealership. New engine has been installed, but they just found issues with the turbo, so they have to order the parts and wait for arrival.. then wait and see what else is broken or in need of replacement... in the meantime the dealer has provided me with a 2011 Mazda 6 loaner...
  • borden81borden81 Posts: 2
    Where did you get the "turbo timer" for the CX7? Thanks
    edited March 2012
    One month and 10 days after my CX7 was towed to the dealership after becoming disabled on Feb 19, I finally got the call on Mar 29 that my car was ready for pickup. The extended warranty company provided them with a used engine with 27Kmi on it that they had shipped to the dealership. (I checked the fine print on my warranty paperwork and it states that replacement parts may be new, oem, used, or rebuilt at their discretion) The turbo, however was new and ordered by the dealer. Car seems to be running just fine. No break in period required, as it's a used motor. My cost was nothing out of pocket thanks to the zero-deductible platinum extended warranty, (Best $1300 I ever spent as this is the 3rd time I've used the warranty for repairs) but the invoice shows the price billed to the warranty company was $3242 for the turbo, parts and labor - this did NOT include the cost of the engine, as it was purchased by the warranty company. I've requested a copy of all of their paperwork for my records though. Unfortunately I have no guarantee that this used engine will not exhibit the SAME VVT ACTUATOR PIN FAILURE. The replacement engine is warrantied for 12 mos and the extended warranty is still good for another 20kmi/24 mos. Which has me thinking it'll be trade in time before that period expires...
  • ckbolesckboles Posts: 16
    Glad you got it fixed, but log your complaint with Mazda, get the recall letters, and get the actuator fixed if they'll do it. We had one turbo covered under warranty, then it went out again, along with the timing chain and assorted other items. $5000 out of pocket, as the warranty company wouldn't cover it the second time. Every time I start the car, I'm waiting for something else to break.......
  • 3wide3wide Posts: 4
    Still waiting for parts to have the VVT/Timing Chain repair done on my 2007 CX-7 with the 2.3 Turbo. It's been about 2 months since I gave the dealer the ok to do the repair, but they can't do it because they are waiting on the parts from Mazda USA. I still don't have a definite date as to when the parts will be in. I'm told "I'm on the list" and that I'll get a call as soon as the parts are in.

Anyone else waiting for parts for their CX-7 with a defective VVT?