Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL 1999-2003

hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
I'm adding this discussion because most of the messages in the "Older Tls" discussion are about the '04-'08 generation.

I'm the original owner of a '99 with 108,000 miles. It's been a very satisfying, low maintenance ride. I'd be interested in hearing about the experience of other owners of this (second) generation TL.

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, the "Older TLs" discussion started with the second generation and progressed to the third when it became available.

But it is reasonable to split them up, so let's go with this one. Just keep in mind that the first third or half or so of the original discussion is indeed about the second generation.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "keep in mind that the first third or half or so of the original discussion is indeed about the second generation."

Thanks for clarifying this. Do you think you should transfer the first third or so of the messages to this discussion, then?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Would if I could, but I can't. Sorry. :(
  • u151208u151208 Member Posts: 7
    I own a 2002 TL-S with 101,000 miles on it. The only issue I had with this car was the transmission which went out on me on the freeway at around 80 mph. Scary ride. I had about 86,000 miles on it. I wasn't the original owner so I was never informed about the recall for this. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for a whole new transmission. Other than that I think this car is drives great. Smooth and powerful. Unfortunately there is a preventative service recommended (105k mile service) that Acura is charging an arm and a leg for.

There are some cosmetic defects to this car. Like the tape that tears off around all the windows and the blistering of the left and right garnishes (that black shiny thing between the front and rear windows)... Costs a grip to have it re-done.

Question.... Anyone know why other TL transmissions keep getting replaced? I mean I read somewhere this guy had to have his transmission replaced like 4 times! What gives? What are the chances that will happen to me? I do not want to relive that freeway experience again.

Leon
  • shiva70shiva70 Member Posts: 7
    I got off the interstate this morning, and made a left at the bottom of the ramp after a stop sign, and my 1999 3.2 TL (82k miles, bought in sep'98) just stopped.

Any thoughts?

I moved 5-10 feet after giving gas. After doing this 10-times - I shifted to park and back to drive, all was well.

Engine never shut off, but it is scary that it would just stop like that.

P L E A S E advise !
    Sounds like you need a new transmission. Everything you just said happened to me. Luckily for me, you and others, we have warranties on our transmissions. (the transmissions on all our model acura tl's have a defect). There are thousands of reported cases just like ours. Google it and you may have already stumbled on tons of articles and blogs.

Take it into your nearest Acura dealership and they will replace your tranny for free plus give you a loaner for a few days. So long as the miles not over 109k you will be fine.
    My TL drive like new.

Best of luck!
    Oh BTW, just an FYI,

This link may help in case it is a transmission problem....

http://www.hondatransmissionsettlement.com/php/login.php

There was a lawsuit settlement pertaining to your issue as well as other Honda vehicles. Just input you VIN NUMBER and it will tell you if your vehicle is included.
    (Though it is MUCH more important to go to an Acura dealership for further evaluation of your vehicle).

I would carefully drive your TL to the dealership or get it towed to be on the safe side.
    My dealer did not say anything about replacing tranny for free, in fact, he said, acura does not like dealers opening tranny w/o good cause, and he said opening up tranny and checking is a 8hr / 1000 $ deal.

Loooks like I have to get to a dealer !
    Did you go to the Acura servicing dept? Your experience was indeed symptoms of your transmission about to go out. If thats not good cause then I don't know what to tell you. Go somewhere else :)
    Acura is obligated to replace that, but they will first determine if it is indeed due to the defect of course. Sometimes it could be due to negligence. But you do not have many miles. For a 99 thats pretty good. In fact I had about 89k miles on my TL when the tranny went out on me.
    When I was on the freeway my tranny stopped working. The transmission seemed to automatically shift from 5th to 2nd gear going 80 miles an hour. YIKES! I pulled over feeling my engine was still running strong but it seemed like my transmission was not in gear but I had it in drive. Tapping on the gas only revved up my RPMS. I shifted it to park, then back to drive, then it was back to normal. Luckily for me the Acura Dealership (servicing) was 4 blocks away. I told the servicing dept. about what happened and they were 90% sure it had to do with the defect. The total cost to the work was over $4k, but I didn't have to pay anything. It took them 3 days to complete the job (order a transmission without a defect of course and the labor) and they gave me a nice 08 TL loaner... Anyway I hope I was of help. Did you check the VIN NUMBER website?
  • starlight2starlight2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I was wondering which kind of fm tunner would work for 2003 acura tl typeS. NOTE: I purchase Belkin ipod tunebase fm II- f8z176 and it doesn't fit my tl; so i had to return it. Anyhow, please reply if you have any suggestions. Thanks
    Yes, I went to the servicing dept, they could not find anything wrong, they said they rode it, no problems. Acura said I am outside the extended warranty period, so IF the problem is tranny they said they might give 5-10% (which is paltry). The extended warranty period was for 7 yrs 9 mo, unfortunately, for me it is 9yrs 9 mo since I bought. So I am in trouble, but car is now driving without problems - but it is a BIG problem waiting to happen.
    I checked the VIN # website, although mine is "Affected", I am out of the warranty period (even the extended one), so I am out of luck.
    That's a bummer. I guess I missed that part of the warranty, my apologies.
    Well, perhaps its best you do one of two things: ride it out and hope for the best, or trade it in for another car while the transmission still works (though it will be someone else's problem later. Can you live with that?)...
    Good timing. The newly redesigned 2009 is coming out.
  • kcall2kcall2 Member Posts: 18
    I own an 01 TL, purchased new in March 01. Since the first week when we went on a 3000 mile road trip, the car has performed beautifully, and still delivers 22-23 MPG in town, and always over 30 MGP Hwy. Have always serviced with the selling dealer, and all maint/oil changes, etc have been done.

Problems. Had a mass air valve fail in 05 after the car was parked for a week - 500 miles from home. When I started the car the rpm's immediately went to 4k, then began an up-down 2k-4k cycle. Since it was Sunday, and didn't want to stay in Galveston any longer, decided to head home, and if it died, call road service. Short story - drove it home, turned over to Acura svc in OKC the following day, no problems since.

Went for 75k MI service last week, and reported a seat cover looking shabby. It was the vinyl part on bottom of backrest near door. Svc manager ordered new seat cover (value $540.00), and Acura is going to install Thursday - no charge. I'm thinking they really want to sell me another car!

All in all, I'm a totally happy camper. Between the attractive purchase price ($26645 delivered) excellent service, great economy, and a blast to drive, will buy another TL in a minute when the time comes. (yes, even the ugly 09) ;)
    Congratulations on the great luck you've had with your '01 TL. I've got 113,000 miles on my '99, and while I'm very pleased with it overall, I've experienced more problems than you have with yours. For example, the catalytic converter had to be replaced at ~105,000 miles.

They're well designed and built cars. I['m anxious to see the '09, but I don't like the fact that it'll be bigger and heavier than the TL of our generation.
  • 1stnewcarinyrs1stnewcarinyrs Member Posts: 7
    I am considering this purchase from a private owner. She told me she has an extended warranty on the trans. I don't know if it was repaired/replaced but will soon find out. Is $8 or $9K a good deal for this car. She is asking $13.5K or b/o.
    Does the 2003 have a good track record except for trans problems?
    "Does the 2003 have a good track record except for trans problems?"

In a word, yes.

" Is $8 or $9K a good deal for this car."

What's the mileage on this car?
    47, 000 miles and I plan to start negotiating around $7 or $8K but I am willing to pay a fair price for the vehicle. The body seems to be in very good shape. Thanks for commenting
    Check Edmunds "Used Cars" and Kelly Blue Book (KBB) for prices.

Of course you want to get the best price, and it's within your first amendment rights to bid any price you choose, but "$7 or $8K" seems like an unrealistically low, unfair to the seller, price.

A couple of other relevant factors you didn't mention are whether this car is equipped with navigation, and whether it's a "S." Depending, in part, on these things, the seller's asking price may not be unreasonable.

Please let us know what happens.
    The car does not have navigation and its not the S model. The sellers fiance is an auto mechanic so something tells me they would not let the car go for an unfair price. I do not know if he maintained the car. Thank you for your comments,
  • tjx25tjx25 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 TL with 77,700 miles on it. I bought it in 2003 as a certified pre-owened vehicle. I'm 1 year 9 months out of the extended warranty period. Acura has refused a request for "good will out of warranty" assistance (though I'm still working on it based on the low mileage angle). I've maintained the car diligently, replaced timing belt, new tires etc. The only other problems are:
    a) occasional error on navigation system saying it needs a disk reformat. This has happened 3 times and it self-corrected
    b) during a heat wave, I noticed that the cruise control light didn't come on on the dashboard, though the car was performing in cruise control. Again, this corrected itself.(Are these bad signs?) I can't afford a new car or a good used car right now. Is it worth getting my transmission fixed? It drives ok now, but the seal is leaking transmission fluid.
    Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a 99 TL with 81k miles too, and once the car just stopped. Acura dealers (on two occassions) could not find out what is wrong.

Tell me when you get "good will out of warranty" clause to have your trans. fixed - I will try the same :-)

Good luck with your car.
  • tjx25tjx25 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, The "good will" phrase is just a concept -- not a clause in anything official. However, in order to even discuss thit with Acura, they need to diagnose your car as needing a new transmission and at your VIN number makes your car a member of the class that the suit was all about. So far I haven't had much luck since it's 1 year and 9 months out of the extended warranty. My research, and this thread talks about the transmission problems with 1999-2003 Acura TLs.
    We also have a '99 TL in our family, with 112,000 miles on it, and have had the problem of the engine just stopping. The problem began several months ago. I don't know the cause, but the symptom is that occasionally, when the car idles or it's traveling slowly (under 30 mph) the engine just dies. It also sometimes dies when it's started after it's been warmed up.

If anyone has experienced this problem and knows what causes it, and how to repair it, please let me know.
  • tomsharetomshare Member Posts: 6
    6-CD changer for Acura TL 2002 was skipping and is now jammed. What are my options to get CD player working? Recently bought this standard TL model with with 95 K miles and standard audio system. Otherwise car is in excellent condition.
    Those of you who formerly owned a '99-'03 TL, with what did you replace it, and why?
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Had an '03 TLS, great overall car but horrible in the snow. I traded for an '04 MDX. Eats northeast winters for breakfast! :)
    Update to my Aug 02, 2008 post. When dealer did the 75K service, he reported the car would need front brake pads shortly, and the lower ball-joints were worn. Ball joints were causing a metallic clank on rough roads, bumps etc.

Anyway, dealers service department replaced the seat back cover (sent car to an upholsterer) using OEM replacement cover. No charge, called it a goodwill gesture. I also had them replace brake pads and ball joints. Dealer service is not cheap, and the latter two fixes came to ~ $700. Not complaining mind you, I consider this normal wear, and after 78K miles with NO major work except scheduled maintenance, am quite happy. Edit: Had failure of the mass air-flow valve around 55k miles. Other than minor things (brake reservoir cap) etc, zero failures. Great Car! :)

Best part of the deal was the service manager sent me home in an 09 TSX service loaner, which I kept for two days waiting completion of work on my TL. Nice car! Too small for my needs, tho.

Fuel economy for life of the car had been excellent, with daily suburban driving averaging 22 - 24 mpg, interstate cruising always 31 or higher.

Service manager told me they had not seen any tranny problems for several months, believes the bad ones have worked their way out of the system. Guess I'll keep the TL several more years, wife wants it for her run about car. Need to find something for me to drive soon, just gave my F150 to my son. Am thinking probably a Civic sedan.
  • acuramarcacuramarc Member Posts: 4
    i have had my tl since 2004. i got it with 115k on it. i have had to replace trans and some parts but other then that i am very pleased. looking to add headers, intake and exhaust. looking for a shop or mayhbe a acura club in riverside, ca area to give advice on upgrades. the navigation is awesome and even better in the new tl's. my favorite tl is the 02, i would take that over the new tl's!
  • acuramarcacuramarc Member Posts: 4
    i know that clank noise your talking about! i went to sears ( dont ask me why) and they told me that they just put lube in a bearing or something like that and it went a way. but they didnt charge me for it either. i have a 99 tl with a replaced engine but its still awesome
    "i have had to replace trans..."

How much was the tranny replacement? Was it a new unit, or did they repair the old one?
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    If you have your transmission replaced under the guidelines of the settlement, how long is the warranty period for the replacement transmission?
  • kingkhalaskingkhalas Member Posts: 7
    I've got about 90K miles on my acura.

I've had to replace the transmission twice (covered under warranty) and have also had a similar problem with a 2000 Honda Odyssey. I think Honda/Acura made some poor transmissions for these cars.

Also recently had to replace the engine mounts ($$$) which I was told by a few acura places is a common problem.

Overall, it's been a pretty good car, but the boring styling is getting to me.
    The new-for-2000 5-speed automatic was indeed problematic, but the good news is that Acura stepped up to the plate and replaced those that went bad under warranty. From what I know, the automatic transmission on the next generation TL ('04-'08) was reliable.

My wife's '99 has the older 4-speed automatic, which, at 115,000 miles, has been trouble free.

We also replaced the motor mounts, though, at about the same mileage as you indicated for your repair. Overall, my wife's '99 has been reliable and satisfying to own.

We're happy with the styling, which, in our opinion, is aging well. We were more concerned with its blandness when it was newer than we are now. Designs that are edgy when new frequently don't age well. In any event, I'm disappointed with the styling of the '09 TL.

What car(s) are you considering as a replacement for your '02 TL?
  • kingkhalaskingkhalas Member Posts: 7
    If my TL-S broke tomorrow, I would consider a BMW 3 series, the 370Z, or a used porsche 911.

I guess after driving the acura I want something more sporty.

I agree with you about the new Acura's styling which I find to be quite ugly.
    If Honda or Acura made a modern, cool sports sedan/coupe I would be very interested.
  • digs5446digs5446 Member Posts: 3
    My wife has an '02 TL-S w/ about 73K on it. Overall great car, although seems like certain parts suffer quicker wear and tear sooner than one would think. Had to get the front lower ball joints replaced at 57K and the engine motor mount shortly after. One of my fog lights is shattered and I have no idea how or when that happened. Service quoted me $275 to replace that so I said no thanks since I rarely used them anyway.

Our TL-S was included in the '00-'03 extended transmission warranty, and we did need it replaced. My wife must have misplaced or forgotten about the Oct 2002 letter Honda supposedly mailed out regarding the issue, and luckily our service dept diagnosed it Jan '08, a mere five months before the extension (7-years) expired! They put in a current model, "state of the art" tranny, which took a couple days and would have cost at least $3,000 according to the service rep. We knew there had been a problem because the car would have a delay in going from 1st to 2nd gear and would all of a sudden kick into gear...just felt like it was "slipping" too much. We brought it in and sure enough that was it. Car felt like new after they replaced it, much smoother and more responsive pickup.

Our last major recommended maint was at 60,000 (our dealer does the major ones at 30K intervals), and we needed the engine motor mount, cabin air filter, transmission fluid flush, and timing belt. Whole thing came to $2,000. I do feel like the car is better off after they find and fix all that stuff at the major services, but MAN it can hit your wallet hard.

Suffice it to say, it feels like it could last for another 100K at least. the OEM tires were shot at 39K. Can't recall what they were but definitely a high performance summer tire with awful winter traction that ran ~$230 a pop. Replaced them at NTB w/ Sigma Regent tourings, much cheaper all seasons that are better in snow but have a much less comfortable ride than the OEMs we replaced. My rims are pretty banged up from a couple curb jobs my wife had...it's causing slow leaks from a couple of my tires so I have to constantly take my compressor out to the driveway and fill er back up. Anyone know how much the OEM rims cost?
    Sorry your car needed the repairs you listed, but none of those repairs, except for the ball joints, is unusual for the TL. We had to have the motor mounts on my wife's '99 TL changed at about 98,000 miles, so based on our experience, those on you wife's TL failed prematurely. From what I learned, motor mounts are a week spot on TLs of '99-'03 TLs.

"...our dealer does the major ones at 30K intervals..."

I think your dealer is recommending service intervals that are shorter than necessary, mainly for his benefit, not the customers'. Our Acura dealer does the same thing. I'd follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, which is the one recommended by Acura, and I'd tell your dealer that this is what you want to do.

Don't believe what the dealer service people may say about a shorter maintenance schedule being better for your car. Of course, more frequent maintenance can't hurt your car, and may be slightly better, in certain cases, but it's not sufficiently better to justify the additional cost, let alone the time and trouble of taking your car to the dealer more often. Shorter maintenance schedules benefit the dealer primarily.
    Most of the repairs/replacements ie cabin air filter, transmission fluid flush and replacement, are just routine maintenance items. Who would drive with a dirty cabin air filter? The lower ball joint replacement is also somewhat common, as is the motor mount replacement. I recently went over my service invoices, and found that the front motor mount had been replaced at the 60K major service, along with timing belt and all the rest. Believe the motor mount problem is that Acura uses silicone goo-filled mounts to isolate engine vibration, and if the rubber bladder develops a leak, the result is vibration and harshness from the engine. Have 82K miles on my '01 sedan, and so far no hint of transmission problems. Knock on wood, my extended warranty is now expired. Is that what they call self-insured?
    The owners manual calls for replacing the timing belt at 105,000, so the earlier replacement is more for the dealer's benefit than yours, if you should sell your car before that rather expensive scheduled maintenance is required. In the event you should reach 120,000 or 180,000 miles before you replace your car, you will have replaced your timing belt (and probably the water pump too) 2 or 3 times, respectively, instead of only once.

I believe in proper maintenance, and maintain our cars very regularly, but maintenance schedules that are overly short are a waste of money.
  • zin0zin0 Member Posts: 6
    Sup people, i just bought a 2003 acura tl 3.2 pearl white clean clean for $10500 couple days after christmas. rides good with 68.000 miles. But i have been reading forums and hearing about problems with the transmission on these cars. i'm calling acura tommorrow to find out if anythings been done to this car. the only thing it really does on me is when i have it in park or reverse and put it into drive it hesitates about 2 to 3 seconds before going into gear. but people tell me thats normal? and i dont think the tranny slips but i dont know much about cars. it seems to ride alright. should i worry about this car. because it sounds to me like i just bought myself a nightmare.. very depressing. :cry:
    Relax, it seems to me you bought yourself a nice car, not a nightmare. Let us know what the Acura dealer says.

Let's assume the worst, and the transmission fails. Acura has extended the warranty on the transmissions on the 2000 - 2003 model years to 100,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first. Therefore, the bottom line is that your car is still covered and will be for a while longer. Unless you put on a lot of miles, the 7 years will expire before the mileage.

So, enjoy your nice Tl and stop worrying.

By the way, zin0, what does "sup" mean?
    :( bad news.. I called the acura dealer and my VIN does have "any" kind of warrenty. and i just dropped all this money on this car, i just found all this out, and now i'm really worried, because i didn't get a warrenty off the dealer i purchased the car off. i just wanted a ncie car and it is turning into a nightmare. i'm scared the tranny is gonna go on me.. and im gonna be screwed. and btw sup is a short way of saying "whats up" lol
    they say VIN numbers 19000 and below were the ones infected. my last 5 numbers are 70000 something, so maybe ill luck out. and more of the acura TL S type were infected too. that's prolly why i dont have factory warranty because of my VIN number./..
    From what I know, the majority of 2000-2003 TLs DON'T have premature transmission failures. Now, that leaves a minority, and maybe it's a significant minority, who do experience failures, but from a probability standpoint you probably wont have a problem. Make sure you keep up with maintenance and avoid aggressive driving, and your car will probably provide you with great service and satisfaction.

Assuming the dealer is correct, is it possible that your car is not covered because it is not one of the failure prone ones? I'd get a second opinion from a another dealer, without mentioning a thing about the first dealer.

By the way, what kind of car and model year did you trade in for your TL?
    I didn't trade anything in i bought this car straight up cash.. and im on my way to get a warranty off the dealer where i purchased the car right now.
    :lemon: I just got back from the dealer, Her computer wasn't working, so she couldn't get me the warranty today. So i came home and i asked for my fathers opinion. he said i should just ride the car out and take a chance. And i think that's just what i'm gonna do. The owner of the dealership told me that he's been selling the TL for years and no ones ever came back to him with something wrong. And that most of the cars were fixed by now. Plus the warranty only covers 2 years then it expires, so theres no way i'm gonna pay $1800. for 2 years. Guess i just need good luck on my side... pray for me guys. :lemon:
    "The owner of the dealership told me that he's been selling the TL for years and no ones ever came back to him with something wrong."

Ah, come on, your dealer couldn't be telling you the truth when he told you this. How does that square with, "most of the cars were fixed by now." The two statements conflict. That said, though, I'd follow your father's suggestion.

Good Luck! Let us know what happens.
  • DanweisbergDanweisberg Member Posts: 3
    I bought this low mile car off of a lease with 24kmiles. I drive to and from work about 1.9 miles each way. I have a garage and only drive about 7500miles/yr. I bought an Acura thinking I could keep this car for 200k miles and never have a problem. Boy was I wrong. Acura won't do anything to help me. I don't understand it? Now I hear that the car has a faulty transmissioni.... I thought the Japanese car manufacturer's really built quality vehicles. Well, I'm concluding that American made cars have improved their quality- and the Japanese cars are really no better engineered than American made cars. I too, like other people in the forum, look for advice, and the picture into the crystal ball to predict how long we can go without major failure. I owe $3700 on the car- Trade was about $9400 with a good engine. Now I'm thinking of buying simply a Chevy Malibu. I'm terribly disappointed and like another person on a different forum, would like to know who will listen and what recourse I may have. I too have read others who have replace their tranny 4 times. My warranty (extended due to recall) will expire in March of this year....Any advice would be greatly appreciated- opinions are welcome.
    You cite twin problems, a failed engine and a faulty transmission. On the transmission, it appears as though you've got until some time in March to have it repaired under warranty, so that's good news. Okay, maybe it's not good news, since you'll have to put up with the hassle of having out transmission fixed, but at least you shouldn't be out any money.

Regarding the engine, you don't provide any details. Just which component or components have failed? Do you know why it/they failed?

As you probably know, driving 1.9 miles is hard on the engine, since it cannot fully warm up. The result is that deposits build up in the engine. To reduce the harm done by your short trips, I'd recommend synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1, and change the oil according to the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. If you don't have an owners manual (most dealers dispose of them when they sell used cars), obtain one. It may be too late for the engine in your TL, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.
  • totokubatotokuba Member Posts: 1
    The digital odometer light in my 2002 TLS does not work. Can anybody out there help me fix this problem?