Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 0-60 Speed

vtxsethvtxseth Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Is the Sport with the 18" wheels quicker or slower than the GT with the 20's?

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    You are going to have a hard time determining the difference between 2 different wheel diameters with the same outside tire diameter.

Either way, they both accelerate at 9.8 meters/second ^2 when driven off a cliff.
  • vtxsethvtxseth Member Posts: 5
    Thanks... Very funny, especially because I have A physics degree... I did not purchase the car to reace it (Obviously), but was shocked to see the new Sequoia going 0-60 sub 7 seconds...
  • nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Either way, they both accelerate at 9.8 meters/second ^2 when driven off a cliff.

I beg to differ: they'll accelerate at 9.81 m/s^2. That extra 0.01 is a huuuuge difference ;-)

The only difference I could think of between the two wheels might be weight: if the 20" weighs more, it might take more power to turn it?
    I've never looked at the numbers, but I have no problem getting from light to light or merging with traffic in my CX-9 Touring (18").

I imagine that cars will continue to get quicker. I just read that the new CTS will have 550hp, 0-60 in 4.1, and 1/4 mile in 12.4. A caddy doing 12.4 quarters; who woulda thunk it?
    I beg to differ:

You aren't differing, just being anal. :)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Very funny, especially because I have A physics degree

Then you should have realized that your original question was ill-posed! :)

Is the Sport with the 18" wheels quicker or slower than the GT with the 20's?

At 60 mph, neither is quicker. :P

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kj123kj123 Member Posts: 11
    just a silly comment, most of the higher-level engineering courses have a passing grade of around 30 out of 100 due to a curve...so how many engineers really know their stuff anyway :P
  • 99zoomr99zoomr Member Posts: 55
    No engineering degree here, but if my slower CX-9 gets to the next red light 2 seconds later than a quicker car, then they'll have to wait at the red light 2 seconds longer than I do... ;)
  • c_rexc_rex Member Posts: 14
    "Then you should have realized that your original question was ill-posed!"
    The question was not at all ill-posed, rather- misunderstood.
    It is a very physics oriented question to ask for quantitative and measured results. It would take someone who has driven a similarly equipped vehicle with each set of wheels mounted to answer. I'd like to know the answer to this question too!

"At 60 mph, neither is quicker."
    Not entirely true. If you mean that they travel at the same 'speed' this is accurate. Quicker can also mean 'more agile' or has greater velocity (acceleration (rate of change in speed)). The effects of reducing unsprung weight in rotational mass can have a huge impact on acceleration. This is a performance AND fuel efficiency question. So at 60 mph- which set will get to 80 mph in the least amount of time? :D

I've only got an Accounting/Finance degree but I aced all my college science classes 20 years ago. Doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about now though. ;)
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The question was not at all ill-posed, rather- misunderstood.

Actually, it wasn't misunderstood. It was misstated. :)

The effects of reducing unsprung weight in rotational mass can have a huge impact on acceleration.

Quite correct! Additionally, you lose a little mechanical advantage with larger wheels so your acceleration will be reduced.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
This discussion has been closed.