Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe To Buy or not to Buy - Any advice?

ron85ron85 Member Posts: 3
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
Hi guys,
Just a quick question: I have the opportunity to buy a 2002 hyundia santa fe with about 55k miles for 6500. The passenger door needs to be repainted but otherwise I can't see any issues. Any thoughts???? Thanks much, since I am not as familar with the Hyundia product line. Cheers.
ron

Comments

• oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Why don't you use Kelley Blue Books online estimator? Also, you need to provide the trim and more details to get a good estimate.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Getting True Market Value pricing is easy - I was thinking Ron wanted more info about reliability, driveability, would you buy one again, etc.
  • ron85ron85 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    Thanks for the replys, and Steve you are correct, I was just wondering if you guys thought it was a vehicle that was worth buying or should I continue my search. I read a large number of postings and saw that many had engine type issues etc. but when I looked in consumer reports it shows the Santa Fe as a very reliable vehicle. So, I thought many of you have owned one and just wanted to hear your advice. Thanks again and have a good weekend!
    Cheers,
    ron
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Unfortunately people without problems don't seem to take the time to write a post that often.

Maybe the Consumer Reviews will tide you over until some more owners take the hint. :shades:
  • staceymccstaceymcc Member Posts: 1
    I don't know too much about the 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe, but I know alot about the 2004 model. I had it until last week when unfortunately it was in a major accident and totaled. It had 42k miles and I never had any issues with it and the only time it was in the shop was for oil changes. It did wonderful in the wreck and I walked away from a multiple rollover with only a scratch on my head and a few bruises. I am buying the 2008 Santa Fe as a replacement.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    You're going to love your 2008 Santa Fe. I've had my 2007 Limited AWD for 8 months now and couldn't be more pleased with it. Have you decided on trim level, options, colors, etc.?
  • ron85ron85 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the info, glad to hear you love the vehicle. With your post and the one before it think i will be getting the car. Also, consumer reports stated it was one of the "best bets" for $8-$10K. Since the car is costing $6500.00 with a little paint job it should be a great vehicle. Again thanks so much for the input, much appreciated.

Cheers, and have a great week.
    ron
  • heringhering Member Posts: 1
    I have looked at a Hyundai Santa Fe-and would purchase the 09 when it arrives-my mechanic ( whom I trust) tells me that Hyundai is not a reliable car and therefore they do not hold their value. I care less about resale than I do having a reliable, reasonably trouble-free car for the next 5-6 years. The other car I would consider is a Nissan XTerra.Any advise? Thanks in advance.
    I bought my 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD new nearly a year ago. In that time I've driven it 9500 miles and it's been absolutely wonderful. The only glitch has been a parking brake cable in need of adjustment (taken care of by the dealer in less than 30 minutes). Since the current generation Santa Fe has only been around since the 2007 model year it's too soon to tell about long-term reliability. Still, I can tell you that after one year mine is still very tight (no rattles or sqeaks) and very quiet. The engine is exceptionally smooth and quiet and the vehicle is an absolute pleasure to drive. Combine that with all of the amenites and low price and I think buying one is a no-brainer. Why wait for a 2009 when you can get a great deal on a 2008 NOW?
  • sprintrpssprintrps Member Posts: 62
    Your mechanic is living in the past. Yes, back in the '80s the original Excel was a piece of junk.
    I was in the import parts business for 30 years before retireing. I went to visit the factory in Montgomery, AL where the Santa Fe (and Sonata) are manufactured. It is recognized as THE MOST advanced automobile plant in the world.
    I have 38,000 miles on my '07 Santa Fe. Other than one minor cosmetic issue (which was promptly resolved) the car has been 100% perfect. I get 19.6 city/26.9 highway. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
  • 2008car2008car Member Posts: 29
    Several weeks ago I decided that I need a new car and I the idea of driving a hyundai never crossed my mind.

My wife and I both drove the 2008 Santa Fe and was quite supprised.

I fell in love and cant stop thinking about it.

I am going either get a Rav4 or a Santa Fe.

My problem is the same with every one else.

Its the relaiblity issues that they still have with this car.

Even though Hyundai has come a long way, there are still some major problems with their quality control.

You can tell my other posters complaints and problems with the vehicle.

Should I follow my head and say stay away from the Santa Fe

or should i go with my heart and buy it.

HELP.
    As far as I'm concerned, Hyundai's warranty takes away a lot of worries about reliability. I've had my 2007 Limited AWD for 13 months and have put 11,500 miles on it so far and it's been nearly flawless. My only glitch has been a parking brake cable in need of adjustment. Buy it - you'll love it.
    To tell you the truth, I'm scared to get it. Yes I'm a chicken.

There seems to be a lot of problems with this car, but I love it!!!

I'm not worried about the good things about the car, I am worried about the bad things.

Such as the car exploding, the air bag not working, air bag light not turning off. water comming in from the sun roof. transmission failure, car moving forward with out stepping on the gas.

So far those are the thing I found.

I'd like to hear the horror stories on this car, if any one has any input please.
    It sounds to me that no matter what anyone else says, you're not going to be confortable buying a Santa Fe. Why not simply move on and buy something else?
    Because the I love the interior and the ride of the car. I've sat in the lexus rx and the RDX.

both are over priced to be.

RDX is smaller then the Santa Fe
    RX is ugly

The only other option is the Rav4 and the CRV for me.

I've had good sucess with them.

I trust Acuras

I just need some convincing.

I dont see any older Hyundai's on the road but I see alot of older old old old toyotas and hondas.

I would like to hear the horror stories of this Santa fe's 2007-2008 models
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    Unlike some, who I swear are getting kickbacks as secret Hyundai salesman " ...Buy it , you'll love it .You won't be disappointed!" ".... I think buying one is a no brainer.Why wait for a 2009 when you can get a great deal on a 2008 NOW?". and then finally "Why not move on and buy something else?" Ad nauseam.

IMHO, The reason we all fell for the Santa Fe is because it drove and felt like a Lexus for a Hyundai price. But, as my Salesman said "...everyone has to get past the old idea of the slanted "H"."

If you want high re-sale and the perception of reliability, go for the Honda CRV with a noisy engine and skinny seats and less standard features, or Acura RDX, Lexus RX.at a high price.

If you want a decent, middle of the road kid hauler with an ugly interior, go for the Toyota RAV4.

If you want a good deal, with the best standard safety features, interior room and goodies at the best price,with the longest warranty, the Santa Fe is a good choice, but it still has a crappy reliability perception and re-sale value will be less. It only works if you keep the vehicle forever.

The other thing to take into consideration is the gas prices. Any money you save on the price of a car offsets the extra cost of gas. In that sense, Hyundai makes for a lot of saved gas.

Finally, i say all of this having had some problems with my own S.Fe LTD. which , I must admit, created some disppointment, but I have to say I liked the design concepts of this vehicle, and they were fixed. BUT, with any vehicle from Kia to Mercedes, it's always a crap shoot.

The most common defects in the Santa Fe have been :
    1. Map lights -corrected in 07
    2. Pass. seat belt sensors set too high for weight
    3. outside temp. guage problems
    4. leaking sunroof
    5. ECM computer warning light issues

I personally had the brake switch go out,temp .guage replaced, badly fitted leather seats underneath at the back, cupholder in the rear armrest replaced, rear control arm bolt go out and replaced,and a rattling heat shield moved. All were fixed under warranty, so my problems were not all the normal ones. I just wanted it to a LEXUS, dammit.
    Inspite your own problem you still recommending it to me? Wow you must really love this car and is really impressed with it as I am.

The little things on does not really bother me that much really. Its the big horror stories that scare me.

I read one where the car caught on fire, the transmission went out after 24 hours, shifting from 1st to 2nd is non responsive/choppy. The car shooting forward.

Its like a love it hate it relationship for me. I love the car because of the price, looks, drive and feel.

But if it cant drive 2-5 years from now I might as well buy a used one with out an engine and have it sit in my driveway.

I'm afraid, very afraid.

I just need some stories to me feel better and some perspectives from owners that has already have this vehicle for about 1-2 years already.

As I am sure there are people that has the vehicle for 2 years now. Assuming they purchased in mid 2006.

Would love to hear from those people, as well as all the prospective buyers of the santa fe.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    No car is perfect, though my 2007 AWD SE with 20k miles and zero problems is darned close.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    Your mechanic is an uninformed moron IMHO.
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    Take the leap! I've had my 2007 Santa Fe since October 2006. The only problem so far was the Map light issue for early production models, which the dealership took care of. Otherwise, I've really enjoyed my car. No transmission problems, no ECS light problem, no passenger seat problem, no leaking sunroof problem. Every time I need to go somewhere, I look forward to driving my Santa Fe.
    Good Luck
    Gord
    How many miles do you have on it?

What year and month is your 07 Santa Fe built?
    And....

Are you in any form related to Hyundai?

Sorry some one had to ask
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    How many miles do you have on it?
    20,000km

What year and month is your 07 Santa Fe built?
    Sept 11/06
    And....

Are you in any form related to Hyundai?
    NO.....Just a retired glass installer from Canada.

Good Luck on your purchase...whatever it is.
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    "Are you in any form related to Hyundai?

Sorry some one had to ask"

Strange as it may seem, there are those of us here - and I'm one - who have no connection to Hyundai, but love our vehicles. Over the years, I've owned the following, with some problems:

Datsun 810 - melted fuse box
    Mazda 626 - failed adjustable shocks
    Acura Integra - headliner kept falling out
    Subaru Legacy - gear whine in transmission
    Nissan Stanza - power window failed, guide for timing chain failed (twice)

And now I've got an '08 SF with squeaky front windows. The point is, no car is perfect, and I think it's wrong to assume that everyone has serious problems. You want to read some horror stories? Check out the Nissan Murano forum! That was what I was looking at originally, until I started reading the forums. Although I'm sure it's a very nice vehicle, ultimately I felt the SF was a better deal, much less money and equally as nice - although not quite as "out there" as the Murano. If I had lots of money and wasn't afarid of all the Murano's high-tech "gadgets", I might have gone with that. I DON'T have lots of money, so the "low-tech" SF is fine for me. I keep my cars fairly long, so resale doesn't really matter to me - I'll drive it til it drops. I think it's one of the nicest cars I've ever owned.
  • ctsantafectsantafe Member Posts: 5
    I looked at many of the same cars you have. The CR-V was a little too small and had hard seats. I didn't like the swing-out psare tire on the Rav-4. The Acura RDX/MDX was a little too expensive and one of them required premium gas. I read many of the entries on this forum and others and, in the end, felt very comfortable buying a Santa Fe. After I bought my 2008 SF LTD AWD in February (built in Oct 2007), Subaru and some others have come out with new vehicles but I'm still satisfied with mine. It's getting 22.9 MPG, the sunroof doesn't leak (and it's been thru a lot of rain), the leather on the seats seems to be well fitted and the XM radio is great. Some of the vehicles with leaking sun roofs were White, but I don't recall whether they were the Pearl White, which is a Port Installed Option. Possibly that had something to do with the leaking. Maybe a dealer would let you take one home for a weekend so that you can really check it out. Another alternative might be leasing.
  • i360i360 Member Posts: 74
    Consumer Reports recommends the 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe as a top pick.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/new-cars/news/2007/04/top-picks-for-2007- -4-07/overview/0704_top-picks-2007.htm

I own a 2007 that has been problem free for a year. Great vehicle overall and I'm very impressed with the ride. I do a silent comparison when I ride in everyone else's car and none compare with my truck. It rides great, handles great and is very quiet. Despite the greed on wall street thats making gas prices sour you wouldn't go wrong buying one. If you are doing some highway driving it gets decent MPG for a vehicle its size.
    I'm still a chicken, I need some convincing.

I am one of these.
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=chicken%20sound&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&t- ab=wv#q=chicken%20&hl=en&sitesearch=

I was examining the car again today and it seems that the kia's and the hyundai have many simularities of the Toyota and Honda's.

Are they copy cats or are they collaborating to purchase old techonology from the toyota & honda Manufacture's..? :confuse:

I've also notice the quality of the toyota's and the honda's have gone down maybe those manufacture are focusing in china and kia and hyundai is focusing on the U.S market?

The kia dealer told me he would never buy anything made in the U.S. and he said he would choose a kia over a hyundai even thought they are same company. He rather choose a car made in korea then a car made in Alabama.

I'm done rambling.

I just need some conviceing or some stories to convince me ya or nay.
    Exactly what is it that you're looking for from this board? You've already had a good number of folks put in good words for the Santa Fe yet you continue to say "I need some convincing". How hard do you think people here are going to work to try to convince you one way or another?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's simple, really. Do you want the car - yes or no? Your prolonged hesitation suggests the answer is no.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Yes I want the car.

Its a comfortable ride, its nice and clean,

The inside door handle looks cheap, the handle in the back is cheap,

More bang for the buck.

But I dont want the problems associated with it.

The problems that read seems to be comming from the AWD more, am i wrong?
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    the most common problem seems to be the throttle body issue - it gives symptoms of many different problems - it can seem like an engine problem with hesitation and misfire, it can seem like a transmission problem with the loss of power and hesitation - the svc eng light will give codes related to the symptom but not the actual problem - there is no code that tells you defective throttlebody or throttlebody sensor - furthermore - it is an enigma because some people with the same problem have it corrected without replacing the throttlebody - O2 sensor replacement fixed it for some - if you get the symptoms with no svc eng light - it is most likely a ecm/ecu/computer problem requiring reprogramming, remapping or replacement - i had my driveability problem fixed by replacing o2 sensor - no further problems - all the other issues i have are superficial - overall the Santa Fe has been a good purchase and suits the needs of my family...
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    On any forum the preponderance of posters will be the ones who have the most problems. Those of us who have had minimal or no difficulties won't be making 45 posts talking about the good service/mileage/whatever. I've had my SF since Jan '07 (mfg Nov '06) and have driven it over 40,000 miles. My overall mpg is 22.1. The dealer has upgraded the map lights, replaced the rear arm rest because of a cup holder problem and replaced the power steering pump and hoses because THEY discovered a slight oozing around one connection. This was all done under warranty. I'd advise that you talk to some customers of your dealership and find out how they rate the service department. The SF is a fine vehicle and if the dealership is first rate they'll fix any problem you may encounter. I have no connection with Hyundai--just a very satisfied owner.
    Well-said, roudy1. I join you as another very satisfied Santa Fe owner. :)
  • rjr2565rjr2565 Member Posts: 27
    I bought 08 Santa Fe SE AWD nice vehicle but I wanted to use it ocassionly for towing a ATV. Now Hyundai will not send any hitches or wiring harness to its dealers. Its all because of a wiring harness recall. I have spoken to Hyundai consumer affairs and my dealer service manager has spoken to the Hyundai area rep. No one has an answer for the customer. I had negotiated this in the price of the vehicle. So if your ever thinking of towing with it better look for something else.
    Also, if I have it done by an outside vendor, I'm told it might void my warranty. I really do not understand how Hyundai can continue to sell these with tow packages. It's a joke, except the joke is on the customer.
    Yikes,

sound like misrepresentation to me.

Knowing that there is a recall and yet still sell you something they dont have.

I smell something.
    Any one know where I can rent a Santa Fe for a few days in So cal?
  • gwillygwilly Member Posts: 51
    I think the Hyundai Santa Fe tows great, it pulls our 1800 pound tent trailer with ease. I purchased mine Dec 06(AWD SE with 3rd row and tow package) the harness wasn't even out and I had to buy the T adapter from etrailer.com and the hitch and did it myself. The brake controller definitely took some time though.

I like the Santa Fe overall, however I have some very minor issues, the length of the bottom of the front seats (a little short for tall people) which could give a little more support to the legs. Also the tan cloth interior stains pretty easily, an ipod jack should have been included, and mileage could be better average is about 17 mpg city. Lastly the rear should have a little stiffer springs or at least some self leveling shock absorbers for all of the additional weight one might have when towing and bringing along gear for camping etc.

I think it's a great value and at this juncture it's still a fantastic vehicle.
    I had negotiated this in the price of the vehicle.

Are the items listed on your invoice? If so then you should be due a refund.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The hitch and installation is on my invoice. The dealer has only offered $165.00.
    They say thats what their cost would have been. The estimate from a local U-Haul dealer is $345.00. I think that Hyundai should reinburse the dealers the amount of having an outside vendor doing the work. Then the customers who have negotiated the price of the hitch in the sale would be compensated. I'm still waiting to hear back from Hyundai to see what they are going to do for me. I will post when I get some answers.
    I take it that the invoice didn't explicitly list the price of the hitch and installation. They should definitely not be going by the price THEY would have paid. Rather, you should get a refund for the price they would have charged YOU.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    Thats right, I'm going back to the dealer this week and present them the U-Haul estimate. So we will see what their response is.
  • kreuzerkreuzer Member Posts: 131
    let me know if the 100,000 mi. warranty carries over to the second owner of a Hyundai? I just purchased a 2004 Sante Fe and it has 56,600mi. on it and I was wondering if I'm covered. Thanks all!
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    As of the 2007 MY, the bumper-to-bumper 5 year, 60K warranty is transferable, HOWEVER the ten year, 100K powertrain warranty is NOT. Not sure if it's the same for 2004 MY.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    From Hyundai's website:

Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective with 2004 Model Year and newer model year vehicles. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson).

Second and/or subsequent owners have powertrain components coverage under the 5 year / 60,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Excludes coverage for vehicles in commercial use (i.e. taxi, route delivery, delivery service, rental, etc.).

Source: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx
    on a 2004 Santa Fe GX that has the 3.5 V6, front wheel drive and 56,600mi . I just purchased this vehicle and I really like it so far. I got it for $10,900 + tax. Was this a pretty good deal?
    I have a couple of questions.
    1) Does the warranty continue with the second owner?
    2) Are the sun visor lights suppose to "light" when you open the flap? I cannot find anything in the owner's manual about these lights. My glove box light is also out but the owner's manual does tell me how to access this lamp.
    Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks for both of your replies and I'm sorry for asking the same question again in my last post #46. Wasn't thinking :confuse:
    What do you both think about the price I paid and if you know anything about the visor lights? I cannot find anything in the owner's manual for these lights!
    Thanks again, all.
  • kmw2157kmw2157 Member Posts: 1
    How many miles can you drive a Hyundai, specifically the Santa Fe?
    Hondas and Toyotas you can drive them for 250,000 to 300,000 miles. So I wouldn't even question the miles on those two makes of cars, but on a Chevy or Ford I certainly would.

I am considering purchasing a 2004 Santa Fe for $8,888 with 77,269 miles. Is that a good price with those miles for that year vehicle?

Thanks for any advice :-)
  • jmurp1111jmurp1111 Member Posts: 1
    Im looking at buying a 2007 Sante Fe SE with 85000 miles on it. I have never owner a Hyundai. Is there anything i should worry about with 85000 on it?? Maintenance done?? Etc...Is this to high of milage?? I have read nothing but great things about these vehicles.

If I can get them to come down some Im ready to drive it off the lot.
This discussion has been closed.