Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Accord

Comments

• wc_pacificawc_pacifica Member Posts: 7
    "yes- if it is what I think you're talking about.... when i back out of my driveway and shift from reverse to drive, i hear a clicking noise of sorts on my 09 EXL V6.... "

This is exactly what I hear. My 2003 never had this, but the 09 is every time I shift into Drive and push the pedal. It happens in the morning or even after driving for a bit. Granted it is louder when it has not been driven for several hours. Does not sound normal, and I can not figure out why it would do that.

It also sounds a bit different than the ABS comment just above.
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I, too, think you are hearing the ABS. It is more pronounced in sound compared to my american vehicles. I would not worry about it.
  • sporin71sporin71 Member Posts: 27
    The Acura TSX is the Euro Accord (luxuried up of course) Honda won't be offering 2 Accords in a Honda dealership.
  • huaxhuax Member Posts: 1
    I am doing my research for 2009 honda accord LX LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A) . The best price I get is 20500$ out the door. Is it a good price? I am in southern California, orange county.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    The best price I get is 20500$ out the door. Is it a good price?

You'll probably want to check here: Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat tomorrow night, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page. See you there!
  • jlocas27jlocas27 Member Posts: 1
    CANT FIND A 2009 MODEL FOR MY ACCORD. ANYONE KNOW WHICH ONE WOULD BE BEST FIT?
  • thumper1221thumper1221 Member Posts: 28
    Does the Tire Pressure Monitoring System for the Honda Accord display the PSI for each tire...or is this feature only available in the Acuras?
  • dpmeersmandpmeersman Member Posts: 275
    When you see the TPS symbol on the Accord it is indicating a problem with the pressure, it offers no other information.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own a 2006 – 2010 Honda Accord and live in the Los Angeles area, please contact [email protected] by August 12 if you’re interested in being contacted for more information on your vehicle ownership experience.
  • augustus12345augustus12345 Member Posts: 13
    Hi -

Anyone who owns a 4cyl honda (i just bought a ex-l nave 4) - are you happy with the 4? how weel does it perform in expressway passing etc. any issues? any regrets on the 4 over the 6?
    any regrets on the 4 over the 6?

You may want to check out the I4 vs V6 topic at the link below.

Accord I4 vs V6
  • mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    Since you already bought the four cylinder, isn't it a bit late to start asking about the 6 cylinder version?

But anyway, the six cylinder isn't really worth the extra money, not with the tiny difference in 0-60 speeds. Also a heavier ride, that I don't care for.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The biggest noticeable difference in passing at highway speeds. Around town, its hard to tell a huge difference.

I have a 2006 2.4L Accord (166hp with 5AT), and absolutely love the engine.
  • jfxpriorjfxprior Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 09 Accord with dealer installed window tinting. At night the vision out of the rear window is somewhat distorted. The lights from cars behind me appears very glarely and somewhat refracted. The dealer claims to have heard a compliant like this before. Has anyone noticed this in their Accords? Thanks
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Accord engines are excellent. I also bought a Honda-engined power washer. It works like dream. I have 4 V6 EX-L Accord, latest model is '08. They all "drive" me crazy.
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    I ve owned 09 i4 for about a year now, 15k. I drives ok if you not using the AC, with he AC on it's kinda slow on the pick up. The dash lights flicker frequently, not a big deal though, the car is not super smooth nor quiet, GMPG is about 25-26 avg.

Speakers are ok, sub is kinda weak.

Over all, no issues as of yet. Been at the dealer only for an oil change and tire rotation.
  • yongseokyongseok Member Posts: 7
    Hi guys!

I have an issue in regards of sudden acceleration. If I really stomp it (accelerator), I
    can feel a lot of hesitation of accelerating in my car. I've never seen this problem i
    n other cars. - (I have owned honda civic 2003, hyundai elantra, and vw rabbit 08).

If I step on the accelerator slowly, the car gets accelerated ok. (not fast but it's ok since I didn't floor it.) However, I push it little be firmly and strongly, the rpm goes
    up to 6 (oh my god) but the speed is not getting increased properly. (it's not almost
    going up for a while and slow acceleration).

This problem is typically observed around 80mph but I can observe this issue at low
    speed sometimes.

Do you have any idea on this issue? or any experience? I suppose that my stupid
    dealship will say "show the problem to us" or "it's normal" and I want to get any hint
    to convince them.

Also, if it's normal behavior, give me some "peace of mind". :)

Thanks in advance.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Doesn't sound all that normal to me, I'd take it to a dealer to get it checked out. You may want to try another dealer which might be a better choice than the one you mentioned, also, ask the service department to check for any available software updates.
  • toyoman8toyoman8 Member Posts: 114
    there is a lag in the acceleration, I've experience a similar problem, it is much noticeable when you coming to a stop and then you rapidly start to accelerate before it actually stopped., I think it's b/c the car is way to heavy for the i4.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    I never experienced this problem on my 2008 EX 4, nor has my mother on her 2008 LXP 4. Needless to say I traded my 08 4 for an 09 V6 during the height of the great recession for the deals were too good to pass up
    Thank you for all the answers! Accord l4, it's indeed slow car.....

Is there any car which is slower than this in this mid-size segment?
    I suppose my old civic and elentra should be quicker than this.

Don't need to mention "VW rabbit 09".

:)
    edited June 2010
    Accord l4, it's indeed slow car.....

The 190 hp Accord runs the 0-60 in 8.2 seconds, with an automatic transmission. That time would closely rival a V6 Camry from 10 years ago. Hard to believe that some people now think of that as "slow."

I suppose my old civic and elentra should be quicker than this.

Not even the current Civic or Elantra can keep up with this... not even close. The current Civic with an automatic runs in the mid 9 second range (and it's the fastest standard-engined Civic Honda has ever produced), the automatic Elantra allows 10 seconds to pass before it can achieve 60 MPH.
    I'm not talking about EX-l4. As the title says, it's about LX-P.

According to consumer report / Edmunds.com, LX-P 0-60 speed
    is 9.8 sec (CR) / 9.1 sec (Edmunds.com).

Also, I don't believe that EX-P's 0-60 time can be in mid of 8 sec
    since it has only 162 torque and the flat torque graph may be
    very similar to LX-P's.

EX-l4 is most expensive l4 sedan in its segment and I would go
    with Altima + other option since it's faster than that.

I agree to your opinion in regard of Elentara and Civic, but what I'm
    saying is "it feels slower than that". Also, I didn't mean 0-60 mph
    at all in my posting. My problem is mainly happening around 80mph.
    Edmunds consistently gets slower acceleration times than Motor Trend, so I was sticking with one source so we'd have a consistent "launch style" for measuring acceleration.

13 horsepower shouldn't make a big difference when the torque peak is the same, roughly. I agree, these heavy Accords would be better served with lower peak horsepower and better torque, but if your problem is at 80 miles an hour, I don't really know what to tell you, except that a V6 may have been your better option. I have a 166 horse Accord and find it quite quick!
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    With the hesitation issue, I suggest trying different acceleration techniques. I find the transmission downshifts and accelerates better if you push the pedal down in a smooth motion, as opposed to slamming it down. At certain speeds, the transmission can hesitate, deciding which gear to shift into, then making a decision. Practice makes perfect in this case. You need to learn exactly what to tell your car, to get it to do what you want. If you know what you're going to get at a certain speed, from pushing the accelerator down a certain way, there are no surprises/disappointments. Personally, I think the Accord has grown too big for 4 cylinder engines, which is why there is a V6 option. Back in 92, when I bought my first Accord, there was no V6 option. Of course it was a much smaller car at that time.
  • dlitedlite Member Posts: 12
    I don't see anything slower than accord I4 in the segment. Even the Camry felt better. V6 is slightly in better shape but its just about average in its class.
    edited June 2010
    These are not sports/luxury sedans, so performance is not their main objective. My 03 V6 has plenty of power for my needs. I drove my niece's 2010 V6 Accord coupe, and it has plenty of get-up-and-go, but performance is relative. Depends what you're comparing it to.
    Hello,

I have one more question on regards of Engine start RPM. I didn't recognize
    it for a long time (my milege is around 12,000 and it's 2009 model). However
    I suddenly found that my Accord LX-P RPM is 1,500 when I start an engine
    in the morning.

Also, I could see it takes more than 1 miutes for the RPM gauge to go down

Is it normal? You guys have the same behavior on your LX-P? Please share
    your advice.
    That's normal for the 2.4L Accord. By running a little high, the engine reaches operating temperature quicker. Lower emissions and better efficiency overall is the outcome.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Though, I have only test driven thew new model accord. I do think there is truth to the engine being slightly too small for its bigger body. The previous generation seemed to have gotten a perfect match in my opinion. The issue with sedans now, its all the rage and people are buying bigger cars rather than a big SUV.

Honda could up the specs on the engine power, however at the expense of less mileage. But, other company's seemed to have learned how to overcome this while getting slightly better mileage Just look at the VW, they have a 2.0T with most of their sedans and the small SUV. That is impressive! A V6 in their model's is almost overkill. Does the Accord need a turbo? No. The engine itself is awesome.

Honda's next model debut it going to either make or break them at this point. They must go all out! or Take a step down. People want a flashier, quick, plush sedan.
    Go on a diet Honda, get some plastic surgery, and you could come out a winner.

Either way, I do know that my old 06 Accord 4cyl could easily with no sweat out run my 08 G6 4cyl I have now. And the specs are pretty close. No sure what GM is missing.
    Your G6 has the 4-speed, right? Every GM vehicle with a 4-speed I've ever experienced has gearing that's taller than I am. The 3.8L can almost get away with it; but a 2.4L doesn't have the gumption for a 1st gear that runs to 55+ mph.
    Yes it has the 4 auto. Never realized it until later on. There are cars that love to rev and simply roll up and down the rpm band. The G6 is not one of them. You verified why many opt for a big V6 in a GM product. But, it really is all about the "brain" that controls the engine. Honda has been able to provide an engine that is very efficient in a 4cyl. I think Honda provide VCM on the V6 Accord in attempt to offset the hit in mileage for its extra bloat. Does it really need VCM? No. I think it is a bit overkill. Not to mention some have had issues with it. Lose that expense.
    Before adding more weight. Remember, how is this engine going to it?

Though less efficient now with its current generation body style. Now, it is time either for a slimmer body or a tweaked engine to offset it. I think the previous generation got a very appealing 34mpg on its ratings. That rating has gone down a bit, and I am surprised Honda let this past the drawing board with taking a mpg hit. Since they are so big on this.
    Under the current EPA testing regs, the previous-gen Accord garners 21/31. The new body style gets 21/30, so not hugely different.
    You keep talking about the Accord's "bloat", but did you know it weighs less than the smaller Malibu? Looks can be deceiving.
    See, I would have never thought. It is really all about its curves I guess.

I would still get the Accord. But, definitely in a V6. Only because I want the extra power this time. The 4cyl would totally suffice.
  • hondaowner10hondaowner10 Member Posts: 21
    I owned a 2005 Accord 4cyl and would frequently average 33 to 34 mpg highway. My 09 Accord is lucky to get 29 to 30 mpg.
    With a change in tires on my '06 Accord and being unable to find no fuel without 10% ethanol, my mileage has dropped by a solid 4 MPG. Really disappointing, considering it used to be able to push 40 MPG on pure highway. Now I'm lucky to get sticker (old sticker, 24/34).
    That's why I'm never changing my OEM Bridgestones. :)

(Yes, I know you had the Michelins, grad.) I'll bet your new tires are quieter though, right?
    Quieter? Ehh, I'd say about the same in the noise department, but they are immensely gripper in both the dry and wet. I went with a high-performance all-season (Bridgestone Potenza G019) instead of a softer, more touring-oriented tire. They drive great, but are no-doubt worse with mileage than the Michelin Energy tires that came OEM.
    I live in Nashville, TN. I can't find any gas without the 10% ethanol. It definitely cuts your power and your gas mileage. You are so right.
  • serenity185serenity185 Member Posts: 22
    I just had an opportunity to test drive my grandma and grandpa's 2009 Honda Accord LX-P. I've been reading about cars for the last several years, and I've considered replacing my Dodge Neon a few times with a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry but it always seemed to make more sense to wait. Until now.

This was my first time driving a Honda Accord, and after reading all the glowing reviews about them here, I can see why they receive so much praise. I found the ride to be very comfortable, and despite being a large car, it felt like a smaller car behind the wheel and had an almost a nimble feel to it. In comparison, my dad's 2000 Pontiac Grand Am was a smaller car yet drove like a larger car and just had a numb, heavy feel in general, which I didn't like. I was concerned about the base 177 hp engine because a couple reviews (like Consumer's Digest) said it could sound crude, but I found it very smooth and powerful.

The interior was quite nice and had a very quality feel- the seats and controls in particular- but it did take me a while to figure out all the buttons for the air conditioning and whatnot, and I thought the door panels would have had more cloth, but all in all, it was great. I've read a lot of complaints about the seats in the 2008 and up Accords, but I found it firm and comfortable on my short trip and am not too concerned about long-haul comfort since I don't drive really long distances (yet).

I'm going to look at some Accords tomorrow. I'm looking around the $15,000 range, so that about puts me in the 2007 or 2008 area. Hopefully within the next month or two, I'll be an Accord driver. :shades:
    Go with an '07 model. They're the previous body-style. 2008 was the first year for the current body style, and they tend to have a few "teething" issues. I love my 2006 2.4L; they're faster than the 190hp 2008 model according to magazines who test acceleration.
  • jbam65jbam65 Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

I recently had somebody back into my car in a parking lot and the little bang took the paint off. A buffer does not look like it would help since the ding looks deep.

My 2009 Accord looked nice until this mishap. My quesiton is does it matter what kind of paint goes on? The Honda dealership I went to does not do body work but they did recommend a shop to do this work. The auto body shop though makes there own paint. Does it matter if I have Honda manufactured paint as opposed to the paint that the auto body shop makes that matches the color?

Thanks All.
    I have had my Honda fixed at a local body shop and at a Honda dealer. I can see no difference. They both go by the number of the paint which is listed somewhere on the car.
    You may want to post your question over in the Paint & Body Maintenance & Repair forum. A few professionals hang out there.
    Yes, go with an 07. Great body, great engine. A nice solid car! Simply can't go wrong.
  • jimbo65jimbo65 Member Posts: 65
    Good Luck in your search! Just want you to know that I have owned the '89 LX, '96 LX, '03 LX, '05 LX, '07 SE, and currently a '09 EX-L. The '89 was my 2nd car and was well used with 120K and I continued loving it another four years. A real testimony to the Honda engineering quality. This one sold me on the Honda Accords. Ran the '96 six years having bought it brand new and it was also a super car. Not a thing wrong with the '03, '05, and '07; but did like the '07 the best of this series with its overall styling and handling. The current ride, '09 EX-L is simply the best car I have ever owned! At nearly 15K and 10 months old it is a true joy to drive. Its quality in every way is truly satisifing. A real solid car. Honda does keep making them better and better! Every one of my Accords have been the 4 cylinder engines. I find them to be economical and powerful enoungh for all situations. Best mpg on the '09 was 38 and with mixed driving is 30. Previous to my love affair with Honda I have driven Chevys, Fords, Chryslers, and Oldsmobiles. Yes, I've driven a lot of cars. I'm an old fart! Hope you too can find the Honda of your dreams! Cheers! :)
    2015 CR-V EX-L 2WD = One Sweet Ride :p
  • dj9dj9 Member Posts: 5
    I took my 2009 Honda Accord in for an oil change at 14,500 miles and they told me that the power steering fluid is contaminated and needs to be changed out ($169). They also said the cabin/HEPA micro filter is dirty and to replace it would be $120. Is this normal for only being at 14,500 miles? I live in Los Angeles. Thanks!
    2009 Honda Accord

A couple of us replied at the other place you posted this.
This discussion has been closed.