Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Honda Accord

Comments

• tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Now I understand. I guess I'm just dim or something. Thanks for humoring me though.
  • drvsalotdrvsalot Member Posts: 7
    i hope soon. european model already exist. would be a great addition for the company.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    i hope soon. european model already exist. would be a great addition for the company.

Unfortunately for Accord lovers, the European Accord is the TSX in the US. It would be a TSX diesel. :(
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Unfortunately for Accord lovers, the European Accord is the TSX in the US. It would be a TSX diesel.

The TSX diesel is due for '09, right?
  • malmouzamalmouza Member Posts: 141
    That is true the TSX sold in USA is the Honda Accord sold in the rest of the world,
    I had the chance to drive the European accord 2.2L I-cdi, in France last month during a trip. The engine is quiet and responsive, my cusin claim the gas mileage is 5L per 100km, that translate to 50 MPG on hwy. Againg if we add the new catalitic converter to this engine to meet the US EPA requirement those numbers may fall into the 44 MPG. This has happend to the new 2009 VW jetta the expectation were 50 MPG, after they did not pass one of the EPA mission
    test they had to adjust the ECU software, and this adjustment did lower the MPG predicted before the vehicule is made for sale. I will expect the next batch of 2009 Jetta to be more fuel efficient than the one that is on the way to the dealer, right now. All 2009 Jetta diesels are sold in advance, I would expect the 2009 accord diesel to be more successful than Jetta in selling all 2009 Accord diesels.
    I haven't seen any "official" news from Honda, but then I haven't been looking for any. Seems like the TSX diesel would be right up your ally grad? I'm sure you'll be holding on to the Accord for a while though. ;)
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Left lane news is reporting that Honda is preparing a V6 diesel for introduction to the U. S. in 2010. The engine would appear first in the Odyssey then in other vehicles as a alternate to the 3.5 gasser,including the Accord!
    Nah - I'm not a premium nameplate person - I don't care to spend the extra dough (I'm a cheap son-of-a-gun!).

My Accord won't go anywhere for a long time I hope. I know that in my future profession, money is hard to come by for the first few years, so I'm hoping that during those years I have no car payment because I'm still driving my '06 Accord. With only 36k and change on it right now, and with (my 2nd) college graudation three years away, I'm hoping that my car won't be close to the end of its life when I enter the workforce; maybe a 6 year-old 80k mile Accord that still gets me 37 MPG highway quite regularly!
    I bought an Accord again because I plan to have it for a long time. I'm at 5 1/2 years and 55k miles, so another 100k miles and 10 years is my plan for it right now. I don't just buy cars because I want something new every 5 years. My 03 EX V6 Accord has more tech gadgets than I really wanted, so spending thousands more for an Acura is out of the question. I have the feeling by the time I'm ready for a new car, even the regular Hondas will have way too many tech features for me. :(
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    I'm absolutely in love with the Intelligent key/push button start combination in my Altima. I just push the button on the door handle to unlock the car, sit in the seat, put my foot on the brake, push the start button, and Vrooom... It's so awesome! It's made me lazy too. I don't even reach for my keys anymore when I get home. I just expect that the door will unlock because I'm in proximity of the door... :cry:

oh, and you CAN'T lock the key in the car if you use the remote only. The car will sense that the key is still in the car and keep you from making a stupid mistake. It's also really cool to toss the key in the trunk and close the trunk... only for it to immediately pop back open. It makes for a great party trick. :P
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    Beyond the cool factor, what exactly is the benefit over using a traditional key?
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Don't have to get any key out to get into your car or start the vehicle.

Walk up to the car, open the door, get in, push the button to start. Saves you reaching into your pocket to find your key, push the unlock button, the putting the key in the ignition switch and turning the key.

Some people love it, some take it or leave it, some couldn't be bothered, some think it's more that can go wrong, some wouldn't spend a dime for it.
  • cstilescstiles Member Posts: 465
    My 2005 Acura RL has keyless start and all of the features you described. Plus, it remembers me and sets personal settings (seat, steering wheel, audio, climate control, etc.) each time it recognizes my keyless. Since I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'7", there are some benefits to each of us having our own settings.

As you said, "some people love it, some take it or leave it, some couldn't be bothered, some think it's more that can go wrong, some wouldn't spend a dime for it." The entire gamut of opinions.

Personally, I think it's technology for the sake of technology, and prefer that the 2009 Accord did NOT offer keyless start. It's unnecessary. Just my 2 cents after having it for 3 years now.

There are similar debates about the benefits of i-drive, COMAND, and other "intelligent" systems.

I prefer to drive my cars, rather than "interface" with them.
    I remember reading a review of the Altima, where the reviewer said he had to hold the start button down for quite a while, before the engine actually started. He made it clear that push button start was not a good point about the car in his opinion.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    You're right....push button start runs the gamut. I've got it on my 3 Series. It's one of those things I could easily do without. I'm sure it's something the sales people "tout" as a cool feature when trying to sell you a new car. But, I have no issues whatsoever in inserting a key and twisting it to start the car.

One downside (big downside) is when you have to replace or recharge the battery in the keyless start fob. In the BMW, you have to plug the FOB into a slot in the dash for a recharge. If power is totally exhausted, you have to then reprogram the fob and the car's settings so the car recognizes it.

What's the point? You have to pull the fob out of your pocket. Plug it in. Then hit the button. Worse....if the battery has to be replaced, you need to reprogram everything, again. And, you still have to dig out the "emergency" key from the FOB, anyway.

I would imagine other systems are similar.

Give me a simple key to twist and I'd be happier.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Sounds like too much crap to remember. I've never understand why everybody tries to "save" time with all the new technology, when generally through the effort of saving time we have to waste time, by say reprogramming the bugger. Sure some of it is nice and useful, but like you said I'd rather have a key that I can jam into the car and start. Push button is just another thing to have fail at the worst time.
    tank....agreed. While I know some think it's cool to just have to push a button to start, or grab a door handle to unlock, when things go awry (like when the FOB needs to be recharged, or needs a new battery), it's been a royal PITA.

Gimme a key to stick into the ignition and a little twist to start. I don't have to worry about whether I've got enough juice in my FOB.

Funny...when I bought my BMW, I thought the push button start was kind of cool, like others. A few months later, when my FOB had no power, I couldn't unlock the car. There was a little emergency key in the FOB I used to unlock the car. But, after plugging the FOB into the little slot to recharge, I found I had to reprogram the FOB (through a series of crazy routines to get the car to recognize I had the correct FOB). What should have taken two seconds with a normal key, took 15 minutes to get the car to start and drive away (including digging through the manual to read up on the "dead FOB battery" routine).

I relayed the story to my service tech at BMW. He chuckled and said..."well, the best way to keep that from happening again is to plug the FOB into the recharge slot everytime you drive it".

OK....so now, instead of just fishing out a key out of my pocket and twisting it, now I fish out my FOB, plug it into the "slot". Then, push the start button.

Again, what's the point?
    Actually, Nissan included a regular key to get into the car in case the ikey dies. Nissan's ikey isn't rechargeable either, which I think is a good thing. It's powered by what appears to be a watch battery that you can pick up @ wal-mart.

And to the person that said you have to hold down the button for a while to get it to start, I've never experienced that. It's true that if your door is open and the car hasn't recognized the key yet that it takes a couple seconds to initiate the starter, but I've never had to hold down the button. I do keep my foot on the brake until it starts though.

Here's the easy way to keep Nissan's ikey from running out of juice... at first sign of a weakened signal, go to wal-mart and get a new battery for $3 (or less). Problem solved. No headache. The system is nearly foolproof if you're smart about it. As for BMW's Ikey system, that's stupid on their part for engineering a rechargeable key. It's far less expensive and more efficient to put a disposable battery in the unit.

BTW, I still amaze my colleagues with the push-button starter on my Altima. The technology definitely has its flaws, but nothing is perfect. I've bent traditional turn-keys before and its kept me from starting my car. I suppose you could smash an ikey... everything has its limits.
    "BTW, I still amaze my colleagues with the push-button starter on my Altima".

Unfortunately, I think this is the main attraction of these gadgets. Impressing impressionable people (showing off). My uncle used to be so quick to impress us with his talking car (Nissan Maxima). "The door is ajar".... "The lights are on"....."You are low on fuel". After a few years, he just wanted it to SHUT UP! It was amusing when he said "I know I need gas! I can see the gas gauge! Shut up!"
    As they say, pushbutton start runs the gamut. Personally, out of all the features in cars, pushbutton start is probably the one I'd definitely live without. Not sure how the one in the Nissans works, but if you're FOB goes dead (how do you tell that unless it won't open the door or start the car?), all the settings go dead with it. That's a royal pain.

My late Father saw the pushbutton start in my BMW. He made an observation I hadn't thought about. He observed, "the first car I owned had a pushbutton start. Guess they're going backwards". Smart man! He'd been driving for 60 years.

I've been driving for 30 years myself. Never....Never have I ever broken or bent a key in an ignition. Matter of fact, I've still got the key to my very first car. It's still intact. The car is long gone, and hopefully crushed and recycled by now as it would have been 40 years old, if still around.
    There aren't any real saved "settings" that are associated with Nissan's ikey, at least on the Altima anyway. It just allows you to enter and access the car without reaching for your keys. And if I had to guess, I'd say that your push button starter on your first car was like turning a key, only with a button. On the new push button starters, you put your foot on the brake (or clutch), press the button and release it. The car turns on by itself. You don't crank the car; the car cranks itself. You simply initiate the crank sequence by pressing the button. That's what makes it so cool. For the first month that I had my Altima, I got a silly grin every time I started the car.

We'll see how this technology progresses, but since it's been used for years in the Infiniti line and has now trickled down to Nissan, I would say that the technology is reliable enough that people have very few complaints about it. As someone else said, it's used in Acura's line as well. It just hasn't come to Honda yet.

As for a bent key, my wife has a Toyota Solara, and the key that came with her car got bent slightly. I don't know how, but it did. The starter began locking up after a while, and eventually, it stopped working completely. Using another copy of the key fixed the problem... A bent key will ruin your day.
    Hey....if you like the pushbutton start, that's a good thing. You've got a car that has that "feature". To me, it's more of a pain.

Personally, there are just too many negatives for me to ever buy another car with push button start.

Security is another reason. Whenever I have to valet park, or turn my "FOB" over to the detail shop, etc. I have to clear out everything of value in my trunk (like my briefcase with laptop, camera, anything of value. They don't have a "valet key"....just the FOB.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Not sure how the one in the Nissans works, but if you're FOB goes dead (how do you tell that unless it won't open the door or start the car?), all the settings go dead with it. That's a royal pain.

There's a warning light on the dashboard if the battery is low.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    Security is another reason. Whenever I have to valet park, or turn my "FOB" over to the detail shop, etc. I have to clear out everything of value in my trunk (like my briefcase with laptop, camera, anything of value. They don't have a "valet key"....just the FOB.

Actually, this is the best feature of this Nissan smart key. You just took out the actual key which is inside the FOB and you can just give them the FOB.

You can use the actual key to lock your compartment. There's also a switch that you can turn off so the trunk cannot be opened with the key. This actual key is connected to your key ring so it's an easy process.

I think it's even safer than the non-smart key that you need to have the valet parking key in your car in case you need to use it OR you need to have an additional key on your key ring.

IMO, the smart key is a good technology than other extra options like power seat, automatic climate control...etc.

Another option that I like is the automatic anti-glare rearview mirror. I think it should be standard for all cars.
    gooddeal2 said everything I was going to say and more. The smart key truly is very intuitive. It allows you to lock out the trunk and glove box, you CAN'T lock your keys in your car, and you CAN'T lock them in the trunk. The Altima is an awesome piece of technology if you ask me. I keep wondering what it would have been like to get the Accord instead of the Altima, and I keep coming back to all the security and techno-gadgetry on the Altima; it's such a cool car!

Don't get me wrong though. The Accord is a great car as well, but if you want a car that's safe, reliable, and has a ton of cool stuff STANDARD on the car, you buy an Altima.

Just for reference, I like the way the '08 Accord and '08 Camry SE looks better than the '08 Altima... I still bought the Altima. ;)
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    We were recently in Hong Kong. There the accord has directional signals on the mirrors.Any hint of this happening here?
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I wish it would, but if every car had this on it, then it wouldn't be as cool. It would be a nice feature. Also, I really think LED lights are going to be used much more as we progress with technology and cars. They use them in the newer Audi's in the headlights. Looks very cool! Speaking of LED lights, the need to put them back in the rear lights on the Accord! They had them on the previous generation, looks very classy! So why would they opt to remove them off the new model? That makes no sense.

It would be nice if they did add the mirror signals.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Speaking of LED lights, the need to put them back in the rear lights on the Accord!

I agree. That move was the most confusing design change for the 08. Well, along with taking the touchscreen out of the navi unit. :confuse:

I've become a big fan of LED tail lights.
    They probably removed the LED tail lamps because of cost. A plethora of LED lights is going to cost a lot more to manufacture than a single tail lamp and lens. I also agree that the tail lamps in the '06-'07 Accord look absolutely awesome. I was sad to not see them in the new Accord.

The mirror signals are something you see on higher class vehicles. That includes Acura and Infiniti. By adding that to the Accord, that's one less reason to buy an Acura TL. That's how I see it at least.
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    We even saw the mirrors on the crv's
    It's a safety issue that will trickle down.

There has to be something to dangle in front of us to make us buy the next new car.
    ABS and traction control were recent trickle downs.
    Yes, I think that LED lights will sooner or later be used for many applications, as the look is so much more brighter and better to the eye. Having Mirrors signals, would be a great standard, as you are more likely to see someone wanting to pass on the interstate, notifying the drivers more easily. However, I have seen LED Bulbs, that you can get for your car, now how good they are, thats unknown. They aren't going to look as good as LED lights placed in a grid within the brake lamps.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    The Accord not having push button start and memorized seat and tilt wheel settings is one of the things that makes me want to spend more on another G35. I have had a G35 for three years and have not had to replace the battery in the key fob.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    For me, that isn't a big deal, I am the only one driving my car, so having memory wouldn't be crucial. Now, if your in a household that more than one driver is driving that car, than that would be awesome! We all have our own settings. I don't see Accord doing this, as Acura, being a Honda upper level Honda has a few options like this. The next car that would compare perhaps with a few options you stated, would be the TSX.
    Even with only one person the memory function in the G is pretty cool. When you turn the car off and open the door the wheel tilts all the way up and the seat goes all the way back for easy exit and entrance.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Sounds similar to what I saw in the Ford Taurus Limited when my parents were purchasing their car. You don't have to spend Infiniti money to get that feature. :) I'm guessing you wouldn't be caught dead in the new Taurus if you are currently in an Infiniti now, though. ;)
    I know I wouldn't touch a new Taurus, and I consider myself a Ford person, of the domestics that is. Dodge is a very close second. Anyway, the Taurus has that corporate face of Ford that's become popular in the last few years. It's very difficult to look at.

They're starting to look like Chevy's. Puke. :P

Though they're saying that the reliability matches that of Toyota. I'd say that is a very big nod to Toyota. What a selling point eh?

Anyway what happened to the topic of this portion of the thread, push-button start? :shades:

Just kidding. It's fun peeking around.
    Funny thing is I am sure you can lease an Accord EXL or maybe even a G35 for less then a Taurus
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    More than likely. I'd take an EX-L over the Taurus. I'm not sure I like the G35.

I've been peaking around some of the other forums and have noticed that some people think the Accord are piles, but then again these are the same people that aren't performing any maintenance and getting confused when the car breaks down.
    I have no clue on leasing (I don't care to ever do it). I know that the Taurus equivalent to an EX-L Accord (but nicer with Sync, Leather, Dual Auto Climate, 6CD, Auto Headlamps, 263hp, 6-sp Auto) was $22k OTD, which is only hundreds higher than the quote we received on an LX Accord, from the dealer we'd previously bought over a dozen Hondas from. Now, I know this was a too-high price on the Honda (should be $20k or less, not $21,xxx for an LX). Still, the Ford represented a great value.

Back our regularly scheduled programming. :)
    But, the Taurus is no Honda though...lol. For me, I would later realize, that the honda, though more of a premium, but at some point you get what you pay for. The Honda is truly amazing. But, that is coming from someone who loves Honda.

I have my eye on the new Accord, TSX, or the new TL for my next lease...that will be tough. The TSX, with paddleshifters would be alot of fun! Looks futuristic as well.

But, I could get a Black EX-L Accord V6, with tinted windows... very sharp!
    There comes a point when "Being a Honda" isn't enough. I never thought I'd see it, but the new Accord isn't going to do it for me. After driving both an Accord and a Taurus, I'd pick the Taurus if it were my money.

Should we create a Taurus v. Accord forum?
    lol, true, there are many cars that offer so many more features than the Accord, more bang for the buck. But, you are certainly going to have more true value with the Accord though. I lease, so I guess really value doesn't matter, as I can turn it right back in.

Your right, the Accord hype of its new debut as huge, but sort of a let down, when they took a more casual approach to its design. Now, if they used the design concept they used on the Accord Coupe, which, I think would have not hurt anything, or lose anyone, but simply keeping in line with new styling. But, I feel they have always taken the more casual, conservative approach. Now, the coupe is a true winner!
    Have to agree on the coupe. The coupe, TL and G35 are on my short list. There is no way I would get a sedan, and I have leased three of them in the past. Three quarters of the sedan look great, but that rear end IMHO is atrocious.

I was all set to get the coupe this week when I decided to check the TL prices for August. I found a dealer in SoCal that will sell a TL for 28,200 or 3,500 under invoice. Its worth a $120 plane ticket and a tank of gas to go to LA from Phoenix to get a new car. I will save $60 a month on a lease payment over buying the TL locally. My lease payment will be the $8 more then a Accord Sedan V6 EXL or $40 less then a V6 Coupe.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    ...after driving an Accord and a Taurus, I'd pick the Taurus if it were my money...

I have to agree if we're talking exclusively about the sedan. I think the new Accord sedan looks somehow disproportionate and alien. Bulging headlights, huge grill, small taillights and the list goes on. To me it almost seems like they went back to gen vi and tried to beef it up, rather than going with a whole new design. I know it's sort of a stretch to see it that way, but I do.

Now the coupe on the other hand looks like a car that I would drive. However, I will have to say that I prefer the taillights of the sedan over the coupe. Give me a coupe with the taillights of the sedan and I would be happy. The taillights on the coupe remind me too much of the Kia Spectra, blech.

Anyway. I would only buy a new Taurus. My mom got burned twice with Taurus/Sables. Both were 94 models and both blew their head-gaskets. The first one blew the head-gasket two months before they were recalled, but my mom couldn't afford to fix it and couldn't wait that long. Bad luck I guess.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    The 09 Accord's are already on sale. It went on sale on Saturday but 09 inventory will trickle in to dealers eventually.
    Any changes that you've heard?
    $495 price increase for V6 EXL Coupe and Sedans!
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Sad. Luckily I am neither in the market for a new car, nor am I concerned with ever having leather in a car. EVER. Had it once and it cracked. MN weather is hard on leather.

I also don't need a V6. I have a 4 cylinder Accord, gen vii and it is more than adequate for me.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes Honda released a press release with 09 changes.
This discussion has been closed.