Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Extended Warranty

cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
Anyone knows where to buy the genuine Mazda extended warranty for CX-9 other than the dealers? I have only found
www.authorizedfordwarranties.com
which is still expensive to me (Mazda is 33% owned by Ford).

I know you don't need to buy it now until the OE 3yr/36K warranty runs out. Dealer offered me $2100, which is outrageous!

It is possible that some remote Mazda dealers are selling genuine Mazda ext warranty at a much lower rate. I bought my Toyota Prius ext warranty from warrantyshack.com for 65% of what local dealers offered me. It is genuine Toyota platinum warranty. Toyota sent me a packet to confirm the warranty.
I am not talking about 3rd party warranty (like warrantyDirect) here.

Anyone has info, please share with others. Thanks.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's at least one link in the CX-7 Extended Warranty discussion you can check out. Oh wait, that's the same one as the one you mentioned.

Honda dealers seem more willing to discount extended warranties over the web. The least your dealer could do is price match the web price you've found so far.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Thanks, Steve.
    I found that website through google by myself. I am not aware that there is a similar thread at CX-7 forum (not surprised, though).
    If I find a good source, I will post it here for everyone as well.
  • srfiendsrfiend Member Posts: 2
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a "used" 2008 GT CX-9 from a local Mazda dealer . It was a "corporate car"and has 9200 miles. I am considering the possibility of an extended warranty. Does anyone feel if it this is either necessary or unnecessary? Thanks in advance...
    You have until your OE 3yr/36K warranty expries to decide.
    No need to buy ext warranty now unless you see a good price that absolutely cannot pass it on. (If you do, do it 1-2 months before the expiration date)
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    My Mazda Dealer offered me the "Ford" plan for $1400 to double the warranty with a $100 deductible. It was about $2000 with no deductible.

I went with a AAA bumper to bumper warranty for $1600 for 7 Years/100000 miles with $0 deductible.
  • badselfbadself Member Posts: 39
    Any chance you can provide a link to the AAA warranty? Assuming it's apples to apples, Warranty Direct wants $2,000 for a zero deductible warranty for 7 years/100K miles, and that's assuming you purchase the coverage within 3K miles of ownership, or the price goes up.
    Can you define "bumper to bumper" in your case? (AAA)
    Most ext warranty does not cover tear and wear items such as suspension, bushing, belts, bulbs, hoses, etc. Does the AAA cover them? If not, you can't call it "bumper to bumper", can you?

I, in general, don't like 3rd party warranty since the claim process is tedious and sometimes inconvenient. For example, when I had my BMW with ext warranty (3rd party), the wiper broke on Dec, 24th (no kidding) when it was raining very hard those couple of days. I had to get it fixed, but the warranty company was off for holiday. Remember, for 3rd party warranty, usually one needs to get it authorized before fixing anything. If not, it is NOT covered. My choices were
    - wait for 3-4 days (Christmas holidays) for authorization
    - fix it out of my pocket

Anyway, it may be just me. I prefer factory-provided warranty. In CA, no one can sell ext warranty unless it is sold through the dealers. Even with that, my BMW dealer (who sold me the warranty), could only give me those two lousy choices.
  • howardruhowardru Member Posts: 155
    I would go to the www.aaa.com website and fill in your local zip code.

I had used AAA for my old Ford car and truthfully did use the warranty about 5 times to repair front ends, and one time to fix a noise in the dashboard that cost over $800 to find. I did have 1 or 2 problems with the Ford dealer reaching an "approver". However one call to the VP of the New England AAA services, got my bill paid. I have those names again if I ever need to use them.

The AAA services here uses a 3rd party, Member Care Services, to manage the warranty. AAA being a better business operation, along with everything they promote and subcontract has the power to make sure its members are serviced. Here is the link from the Central Mass website.

http://www.corpmsc.com/Splash_Home.aspx

Bumper to bumper, never covers normal wear and tear. Here is what is NOT covered.

I have a copy of the full contract if you want me to email it to you.

MemberCare Diamond Coverage
    We will pay or reimburse You for reasonable costs to repair or replace any Breakdown of all parts except those listed under the Exclusions
    Section, less the Deductible, in accordance with the Terms and Conditions

Exclusions - NON-COVERED ITEMS:
    1. Cost of parts, replacement keys, fluids, lubricants or cost of gasoline, cost of installation of products, material, and additional
    labor relating to towing. Any service covered under valid manufacturer's warranty.
    2. Non-emergency mounting or removing of any tires, snow tires, or chains. Tire Repair. Motorcycles, trucks over one-ton
    capacity, taxicabs or other commercial delivery Vehicles. Camping trailers, travel trailers, or any Vehicles in tow. Any and all
    taxes, or fines. Damage or disablement due to collision, fire, or vandalism.
    3. Towing from or repair work performed at a service station, garage or repair shop. Service on a Vehicle that is not in a safe
    condition to be towed. Non-emergency towing or other non-emergency service. Impound towing or towing by other than an
    authorized service provider, except as noted below; Vehicle storage charges; a second tow. Towing or service on roads not
    regularly maintained, such as sand beaches, open fields, forests, and areas designated as not passable due to construction.
    Towing at the direction of a law enforcement officer relating to traffic obstruction, impoundment, abandonment, illegal parking, or
    other violations of law.
    4. Coverage shall not be provided in the event of emergencies resulting from the use of intoxicants or narcotics, or the use of the
    Covered Vehicle(s) in the commission of a felony.
    5. Repeated service calls for a covered Vehicle in need of routine maintenance or repair. Only one disablement for
    > Bumper to bumper, never covers normal wear and tear.

If I was not mistaken, OE warranty (so called basic warranty) covers most wear and tear within the period. Therefore, they call that bumper-to-bumper warranty.
    In other words, I believe the new vehicle warranty (basic warranty) covers
    - hoses, bulbs, belts, suspension, etc. for 3yr/36K (take CX-9 for example)
    - rotor/pads, battery, etc for a shorter term.

Anyway, the AAA sounds like a good deal with $0 deductible. Thanks for sharing.
  • yipmoyipmo Member Posts: 3
    When we bought our CX9 we got a GE sponsored ext warranty 7yr/100k for about $950 from the dealer. It is definitely not bumper to bumper and I hope it will pay for itself if I need it.
  • jnyepujnyepu Member Posts: 4
    Don't know if this was a good deal or not, but we turned it down at the point of sale.

I think its was $1269 for "extension" of the 3/36 to 5/50 or $1400 to 6/60. I think it was $0-$100 deductible depending on the issue, genuine Mazda warranty is what he said, read from a binder but kept it open toward him only so we couldn't see page. Frankly, we were so frazzled (was at the end of the day we bought) I couldn't analyze the offer and was just amused that the Finance guy was trying to sell us something else. Gut told me to turn it down. These guys know human nature and could tell my wife and I were drained after 3-4 hours of negotiating for our new CX-9/trade-in, not to mention my tired 17 month-old needing to get home. Strike when they are weakest, I guess.

One thing he tried to scare us with that he said the above warranty would cover would be wheel/tire replacement for $0 deductible, but I really couldn't tell you the specifics about replacment for tires. I think he did say wheels would be replaced, and quoted the price of a new 20" aluminum alloy wheel at $700-750

After a pretty good aftermarket experience with AutoWarranty for my Audi, I thought I'd wait to see what else was out there if we keep the car for more than 3 years.

Any thoughts on the Mazda plan? Anyone have a similar offer? Anyone go for it at point-of-sale?
    jnyepu,
    I am glad that you did not purchase it on the spot 'cause it does not seem to be
    a great deal. Check here.
    http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com
    (click Mazda on the top, and click Prics & Purchase on the left, enter models and current mileage of yours)

There are four levels of Mazda warranty. Assuming that your finance guy was quoting you the best (Total Care), it is still way too much as you can see from
    the table.

You have until 3/36K OE warranty expires to commit to buy ext warranty.
    So, no hurry now. Thanks for sharing.
  • slinghaslingha Member Posts: 16
    Anyone know if the warranty would cover things like the factory installed GPS, all the voice recognition stuff etc?
    Sure. The same 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty.
  • jpasintjpasint Member Posts: 4
    Just wanted to post what I have found out about the MEPP. First of all the guys at the dealership on authorizedfordwarranties dot com are no longer selling factory Mazda warranties contrary to what their site looks to imply. It is something like easycare they told me.
    We purchased a new 2010 Mazda3 for our son the other day and the wanted some ridiculous price for an extended. I purchased a 2008 Sequoia extended Toyota factory Platinum warranty from some guy named Troy (he is well known in the Toyota world) for like $850 so I was hoping to get a good deal for the new Mazda.
    I found a guy by the name of Brian at a dealer in Illinois that will sell me a Mazda factory total care 10 year 100,000 mile w/$0 deductible for $1000. I sent him my info and I’ll see how it goes. I know $1000 is a lot of money for a $26,000 car but I was not able to find ANYTHING better.

I let you all know how it works out and post his contact info (if it works out).

Joe
    Joe,
    $1000 is very good price for 10yr./100K with $0 deductible.
    Make sure you keep people here posted. A lot of people may be interested in this. I know Troy. My wife's Prius was covered thru him.
    www.warrantyshack.com
    He is very famous among Toyota/Lexus owners.
    I have been trying to find a "Troy of Mazda" for a while.
    Could Brian be "the one"?
    :)
    Yes, I sure will keep everyone updated. He is overnighting me the contract so I should know within a day or two.
    He just might be "the one". Lol

Joe
  • wdhytewdhyte Member Posts: 92
    I agree! Thats only $100 per year! very good price IF it's total/comprehensive/bumper to bumper and $0 deductible. Any idea if its transferrable or not as well? heck of a price though if its honest/true.
    Please keep us posted...tks...Dave
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    and post his contact info...

You may provide the name of the dealership and the town but we prefer that you not provide contact information. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nuzynuzy Member Posts: 54
    Another interested person here...you may need to charge him commission on your referrals!
    Mazda covers the 3yr/36K B-2-B, and 5yr/60K powertrain.
    A so-called 10yr/100K covers the remaining portion only. Therefore, it is not $100/yr. No ext warranty covers tear and wear items (such as suspension, bearing, bushing, bulbs, belts, etc.). Total Care from Mazda is fairly complete in coverage, IMO.

As a rule of thumb from past experiences, ext warranty covers about 50-75% of repairs and keep-up in old vehicles. Statistically one loses money with ext warranty, but it depends on personally financial planning and how much financial impact one can sustain in case of needing costly repairs such as a new(refurbished) transmission. Needing a new transmission before 100K is not unheard of. I had a couple of friends who did. :mad:

Buy ext warranty before your OE 3yr/36K runs out if you plan to do so.
  • s4cts4ct Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a CX9 and I'd really like to purchase the TotalCare plan as well. Please do keep us posted.
  • talon90talon90 Member Posts: 10
    Did you find any information yet about this Brian guy? I just purchased a CX9 today and very much interested in purchasing that extended warranty. Please keep us updated out there and it will be very much appreciated.
  • cx9karcx9kar Member Posts: 1
    I saw your post about the low cost warranty. Do you have any additional details? I'm looking to add one to my new CX-9. Thanks.
    Unfortunately, jpasint seems to have gone AWOL.
    I frequent several Mazda forums and have never heard of this Brain guy from Illinois selling cheap Mazda warranty (genuine one).
    Anyway, anyone has info, please post it here.
    My 2008 is 9 months away from end of OE warranty. I need to make a decision within 8.
    See post #16. :P
    I am not AWOL (I did spend 7 years in the army!) just soo soo busy these days. I did get the warranty, 10 years 100,000 miles, zero deductible for $1000.
    I tried my best to get him to allow me to bring business to him but to no avail.

Not sure why as I even offered to broker for him and do all of the paper work because I think even if I charged $100 people would buy these contracts like crazy since they would still be saving something like a $1000.

Oh well, I posted the contract for you guys to drool over!

http://jpasint.smugmug.com/Other/SmugShots/11223295_9ZudD#850991235_xNE9Q-X3-LB

I’ve been meaning to give him another call recently as I want to see if maybe he has changed his mind. I’ll post back if anything becomes of it.

Take care.

Joe
    edited April 2010
    jpasint,
    Welcome back. Though there is still no help for the rest of us, I am happy for your deal.
  • trparkcitytrparkcity Member Posts: 9
    any hint as to name of the dealer you got this through?
  • smvp6459smvp6459 Member Posts: 4
    I've been hunting around for a 10yr/100k Total Care MEPP for the Mazda 3. Best I'm coming up with is the $0 deductible for 1,400--it's not $1,000 from the mystical Brian, but it's the best I'm finding. Calling the MEPP people directly, they quoted me $1,539, which beats a lot of quotes I got from dealers.

An interesting fact that may or may not be true: The guy who quoted me $1,400 said that on June 1 MEPP is re-categorizing the Mazda3 from Category 1 to Category 2, which will raise the price from $200-400. Given his price quote, I doubt he's BS-ing me, but who knows. I'm not sure if it's all Mazda 3 model years or just the 2010 Mazda 3, but I don't think the underwriting categories distinguish between model years.
  • trparkcitytrparkcity Member Posts: 9
    if you wouldn't mind emailing me the contact info for the
    $1400. quote, please click on my name to see my email address, and please email me. thanks.
  • alamadeelalamadeel Member Posts: 6
    Hey Guys,

I just a sport Mazda CX-9, and the dealer offered me extended warranty 6 years/75000 miles for $1495. I have turned it down for now, but it keeps coming back to my head. Any idea if it is a good price ?

I would really appreciate quick response on it. Thanks.
    First,
    There are several levels of coverages from Mazda ext warranty. The Total Care is the best. Also, the OE warranty covers 3yr/36K bump-to-bump + 5yr/60K for powertrain. Your 6yr/75K basically covers
    1yr/15K on the powertrain
    3yr/39K on other things
    Remember. Ext warranty does not cover bump to bump. Most wear and tear items are NOT covered. You can basically assume it covers about 50% of the repair cost
    on average. Therefore, to me $1495 is NOT cheap at all.

My wife's Prius has Toyota ext warranty (best coverage) for 7yr/70K for $695.
    (7yr/100K for $1000 alternatively)
    Also remember that all hybrid components on Prius are covered by 10yr/150K already... (battery, converter, electric motor, etc.)

To me, ext warranty for CX9 for 7yr/100K for about $1400 would be reasonable.
    Or, 7yr/80K for $1100 if you drive less. But, I haven't found it yet.
  • alamadeelalamadeel Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Ceric.

The price you mentioned in your post is really hard to get, especially from the dealer I am dealing with.

Anyway, the warranty my dealer is giving me, it is not called MEPP Total Care. I see the name on the brochure as Portfolio New and Premium Vehicle Extended Coverage. Is it something similar to MEPP or completely different? I am sorry I am new to this, I would appreciate any input on this.
    First make sure it is from Mazda, not a third party one.
    Second, you have 3 yr to decide, there is no rush in buying this.
    I will contact him and try to get a 7yr/100K Ext Warranty on my CX9.
    I am sure lots of people appreciate the info.

In the case of Troy, I heard he got many not-so-nice emails/phone calls from his fellow Toyota salesmen around the USA. And, he stands up to all of them.
    Let us hope that Tom can do that w/o fears. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please don't post individual's names or phone numbers. Dealer names and links are fine. Thanks.
    Ok, so here's the info I can supply. My wife talked to the guy when he called for our credit card number. She explained about Troy in the Toyota warranty world (Troy sold us a 10 yr./100k for her Prius), and he said he's fine with getting referrals. I can't reveal the guy's name, so just let receptionist know you want to buy an extended warranty and she'll transfer you to someone.

Wilkins Mazda Hyundai in Elmhurst, IL
    http://www.wilkinscars.com/

We expect the contract in the mail next week, and I'll post if there's any problem.
    Please post the plan and $$$ you got.
    I found his name on LinkedIn also.
    Send me a LinkedIn mail probably also work.
    edited May 2010
    I have a new 2010 Mazda 3i Touring.

I bought the MEPP TotalCare plan. 120 months / 100k miles. $0 deductible. It cost me $1,399 from the dealership in Illinois. I think the MEPP direct sales people quoted me $1,539 for the same plan (they're still better than many dealerships):

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/QuoteRequestStart.action

The cost of plans vary based on the duration, the deductible, and the type of Mazda you have. Although they don't list the prices, you can look up some information about the different plans here:

http://dealers.mazdausa.com/mepp/mepp_splash.htm
    so why are the prices listed here in the matrix so much higher than what I'm reading in the threads? and when you change the deductible during the 'order' the prices really get wonky. are all these warranties we're talking about in here via the same outfit? genuine/accepted/authorized ford/mazda warranties? really don't want to get a 3rd party coverage and get nasty surprises later on. TIA
    Call the company before you buy. Some warranties for Mazda vehicles cost more. The CX-9's warranties are going to cost more than the Mazda 3's warranty.

Even if it's Mazda's MEPP warranty and the same type of car, prices can vary greatly between dealers. When I called around to dealerships I got prices from $1400 to $2700 for the exact same warranty for a Mazda 3. Dealers seem to be able to sell these warranties for as much markup as they can get away with.
  • car56car56 Member Posts: 5
    I'm planning to buy 2009 CX-9 from private party. Is 36k/3 years and
    power train warranty is transferable?

Any known issues with 2009 CX-9 I should look for. Thanks in advance.
    Yes.
    OE warranty is transferrable,
    The Dealers' computers show when the vehicle was sold.
    Just make sure it is not a salvage or branded title.
    Spend a $30 on CarFax to make sure of it. Carfax does not show all problems, but at least some that you don't know.

Have a dealer do a complete inspection for $100+.
    Dealer mechanics can give you a report on things they find.

2009 is a very reliable year. 2010 is a MMC (mid model changes) which creates some new issues (power seat draining battery, etc.).
    got an odd piece of junkmail the other day and wondered if anybody else gets this smack? I've never gotten one for my truck(s). It looked all 'official' and told me my warranty was expiring on the 1 year anniversary of our purchase yet I seem to recall (and looking in the owners manual) our warranty on the 09 CX-9 is 3/36 ...am I missing something here or is this just a really blatant attempt by ner-do-wells to get the public to panic and buy *their* version of the extended warranty (and no, it wasn't from the MEPP people http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/mazda/index.html or Mazda USA or my dealer or anything that told me it was corporate) ...TIA...Dave
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Warranty companies buy data from the registry of motor vehicles and send direct mail trying to sell their products.

Nothing to be concerned about.
  • davichodavicho Member Posts: 190
    I have gotten numerous amounts of this same "Your factory warranty is about to expire..." mail, e-mail, and recorded phone calls. Nothing but a scam. The funny thing is that they kept on sending me mail, email and calling me with this crap and my factory warranty had ran out long, long ago. :P
  • danz75danz75 Member Posts: 7
    Ceric,
    Did you get the ext warr for your 9?
    No, but I still have about 5 months left to decide....
    My CX9 has been very reliable since the window minor issue.