Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Challenger Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Tell us about your Challenger purchase experience here.

Comments

• snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    I haven't purchased a Challenger but get updates on the latest news. I am excited for the 2009. Here is where I signed up for the updates - http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/challenger/get_updates/
  • ekstromjekstromj Member Posts: 1
    I'm seeing that the 2009 Challenger will be available in the R/T and the R/T will have 370hp compared to the 340 it currently has. Combine that with the 6 speed manual and I'm thinking I'd really like this car.

I emailed my local Dodge dealer who I test drove a Charger at and they told me to get a 2009 Challenger, regardless of model, is $5K over MSRP and they are pre-ordering now with a $5K deposit.

$5K over MSRP is less than last year, but it's still outrageous for a basic competitor to the Mustang and the Camaro. I've emailed other local dealers to see how much they are trying to charge.

Does anyone have any advice for I can go about trying to buy this vehicle without getting taken to the cleaners? Thanks
  • eriefishingeriefishing Member Posts: 13
    Yes, wait until next summer when you can get one with $3500 cash back, 0 % financing plus $3.99 Gas card (gas will be $5 this time next year, if not sooner). :P
  • deskmandeskman Member Posts: 485
    @25,000 over msrp. :shades:

i hear bob dance in central florida has them for much less. :confuse:
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    WOW! $25K over MSRP? I didn't know there were that many crackheads out there with money to buy cars. Personally, I'll wait for the real limited slip and the six speed...
  • nocargtxnocargtx Member Posts: 5
    I have been quoted a 09 challenger R/T with J package pretty well loaded up car for good amount under MSRP list. problem is B5 blue not yet available and that is the color I want. Anyone know approx date for B5 blue to be available??
  • roymondroymond Member Posts: 1
    That color won't be available til next spring in a special edition Challenger R/T & SRT8
  • retail102retail102 Member Posts: 10
    the Magnum went two years w/out rebate
  • rtmdrtmd Member Posts: 1
    It's a great car. But unless you have alot of money- I agree that one should wait a year or two for rebates and or special financing. I really want one myself and I could afford it but I think to spend your money wisely, one must wait.

But if you really want it now. Wait about 6-9 months, buy that time you should be able to get invoice if you know how to negotiate which I am always able to do.

I got 2008 Nissan armanda 14k off sticker!
  • sweendogysweendogy Member Posts: 1,310
    In 04 when honda started to offer the v6 accord coupe in manual i went to honda--they wanted MSRP and had a boat load of dealer options on the car I would never have wanted-- In oct 2006 I went over to infiniti looking at the new G35 sedan with AWD-- no dealer options this time but MSRP was the ending point on a deal... I went back in Feb 07 and got the G35 i wanted for 500 over invoice...With this car your dealing with a company that in most likely hood will be out of business with in 3 years --they have stopped leasing cars -- they are considering selling off the VIPER unit.. Chevy in less then a year will be releasing a Camaro that will be a direct competitor -- If you wait you will get a better deal-- the writing is on the wall for Chrysler --i would wait
  • jallen1961jallen1961 Member Posts: 2
    I couldn't be more pleased with the car, the dealer and the price. I just purchased this car from Airport CDJ in Orlando, drove it off the showroom floor and I'm loving it!!! It's white and loaded with most options, the MSRP was 36115 and they gave me a 3.5% discount off the MSRP which lowered the price to 34850, which is pretty much unheard of here in Florida. I traded in an 08 Civic EX 5 speed coupe and they gave me 16950 for that, not bad since I paid 17900 for it!!! I can not believe the attention that this car gets!!! This is one sweet car!!!!
    Chrysler out of biz? wake up. Leasing ended not for money reasons, but rather whats the point of lease over low interest and LIFETIME warranty? And AVAILABLE bumper to bumper FOR LIFE? Leasing was/is for those who cant afford to own what they want and can only afford to rent the car. THe reason the imports hold value is they don't do fleet sales, or rentals as the domestics do for US based companies. Quality is not the boon of the imports any longer. Toyota has more recalls then anyone, and look at the recomended maint. of your import vs a domestic.
    Chrysler out of biz? wake up ----YEP thats why there were sold by MB for pennys on the dollar and the private firm who bot them is looking into bankruptcy option going forward..(look it up) have you seen there August sales numbers?? have you seen the banner ads on this page saying up to 40% MSRP Leasing ended for money reasons?? YES thats correct but not for the reasons you mentioned..They were leasing cars that would come back in 3-4 years that were worth less then they originally thought---That simple -- Alot of people could care less about LifeTime warranty --reason being they simply don't expect to have a car for more then 4-5 years-- and your incorrect that leasing is only for people who cannot afford to buy--its also for a person who wants a newer car every 3-4 years and who does not want to deal with the upkeep needed after warranty expires. Fleet sales have killed resale values of some domestics yes-- but who's fault is that?? There are quality domestic offerings --ie chevy malibu and ford focus.. and quality figures have come up a bit for domestics yes but the fact is toyota is now what people think of when talking about quality --sorry --and maybe its you who should WAKE UP and maybe pickup a newspaper. :surprise:
  • lostwrench1lostwrench1 Member Posts: 1,165
    Toyota = quality? Toyota?
    sure ask your parents or your friends --are they going to say dodge, chevy or ford?? i think not-- gm has made huge strides and i would not hesitate to look at there new malibu (if i were shopping for a accord/ camry) but 20 years of been a better company has put toyota at the top--honda close second.. and so on.
    Are you aware your Toyota Company has MORE RECALLS THEN ANY OTHER CAR COMPANY? And Chrysler Corp is not the only one who lost in Aug. EVERY Car Company did. And Almost everyone is out of leasing, that is domestics because folks keep sendin money to Japan. Toyota is OVERPRICED. Dollar for Dollar Toyota and Honda are overpriced. Chrysler corp has lifetime warranty. And as for what "the net" says about Domestics? Ever wonder how many imports have nationals on payroll who go online and build up their imports and trash domestics?
    Go to a coffee shop in Japan. Right in Downtown Tokyo. I bet you vote for Obama as well huh? Let Media lead you will follow.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,046
    Let's stick to Dodge Challenger pricing, please..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• pyewpyew Member Posts: 1
    I know yall are smart enough, but beware.... the 6.1 takes premium gas, the 5.7 regular. That was enough to change my mind on what to get.
    might want to consider decaf
  • gruntgrunt Member Posts: 6
    Well I finally saw a new Challenger RT sitting on a dealers lot in San Diego. Having owned a 71 Cuda back in the 80’s I am really drawn to this vehicle. What I am not drawn to is the $9.000.00 mark up on the vehicle. The MSRP was around $38k and with the mark up it was $47k. I did not even bother speaking to a salesperson.

Hopefully the quality of the Challenger is better then the Charger. I drive one at work (law enforcement) and granted we drive our vehicles hard but we only get around 6,000 miles before the brakes need to be replaced compared to 12,000 on the Crown Vic. We have had the vehicle for the past 1.5 years and it has around 30k on the odometer. The car is not faring well compared to older Ford’s we have in our fleet.
    plus the 5.7 gives ya the LIFETIME warranty not a 6.1. and its easy to tweak the 5.7 via factory add on for more HP
    great northern dodge in Ohio has a couple Zero over sticker.
    ext 125
    The car is covered for life. and you can upgrade to cover EVerything mech. FOR life
    zero over sticker is way to much-- they are not selling these cars-- less then 2k sold in a month is laughable for a new car-"covered for life" --sure if your willing and have the time to keep bringing it to your local dodge--soon to be chevy dealer..
  • hjones1971hjones1971 Member Posts: 3
    Toyota has recalled more vehicles than they have sold since 2005.
    Its not so much that imports hold their value better than domestic. It appears that way because when blue book, edmunds, NADA etc. Use this information they normally use MSRP as their starting point..not the ACTUAL sale price.
    Domestics typically have more rebate in them than imports. Taking all that into consideration you actually loose LESS money in alot of domestics compared to imports when you take into consideration the actual sale price of the vehicle.
    a dodge truck may have an MSRP of $30,000 with a $5000 rebate and then whatever discount the dealer may give you, in this case we will say $5000. So you paid $10,000 less than MSRP. ...........$20,000
    an import may list at $30,000 however the rebate may only be $2000 and they do not discount near as much as domestics but to be semi fair we will say $5000. A total discount of $7000.........................$23,000

kinda get where this is going? of course those numbers arent accurate but just a simple way to explain
    Toyota also got thrashed at the last autoshow in Detroit due to them "living on thier past reputation for quality" and having issues with their current products.
    yes if you ask you average person about Toyota and quality they will go for it, yes they will say Toyota is more fuel efficient, yes they will say Toyota will last longer...and at one point in time that was true....
    however not here, not now, not in 2008.
    A lot of people respond out of habit and because of what they have known of the past. Domestics (generally speaking as a whole) are just as reliable and just as fuel efficient, and will last just as long. with a more cost effective maintenance.
    the challengers are selling as well as can be expected considering todays market for vehicles.
    its not ONLY challenger sales that are down or hurting, it is the entire market, taking everything into consideration they are doing pretty well.
    yep toyota really worried about the great quality cars coming out of dodge-- the journey and calliber should really put the fear into them.. I agree in 2008 you have better choices from detroit but the reason why dodge has to put a 10 year warrantee (non-transfer) on a car is because if they didn't they would not sell half of what they do now ..how bad is that.. Read consumer reports on all of this in the current month mag. no dodges to be found..
    http://www.motorauthority.com/dodge-challenger-srt8-not-selling-as-well-as-expec- ted.html

the above piece was from july when the car came out.. -- challengers are not the only car not selling --yes --but they are selling less then 1 challenger a month per dealer.. there is 2k dealers in the states-- that is pretty bad no matter what economy we are in. Pretty cool looking car--performance numbers great-- but i would have a hard time paying more then dealer invoice.
  • drive_55_nodrive_55_no Member Posts: 2
    I drove a basic R/T yesterday, Hemi Orange in color, only had the 20" wheel upgrade and the black stripping, That is a nice looking car. The seats are a little hard compared to our 02 Intrepid, but the performance is OOTW compared to the 08 Mustang GT I'm also pricing out. The GT is a manual, hte R/T an auto.

The dealer was actually offering 1000 off MSRP, (31K vs 32) I offered 28K Out the door as the Ford dealer down the road priced out the 08' GT for 23K (I offered him 20)

The ole' sales manager pulled the "these Challengers are holding their value and we're actually taking a LOSS selling BELOW MSRP" ... I told him, 28K Tax, title dealer prep and whatever else he wanted to add, No more.

He was pushing that R/T hard as he has four sitting there and there are at least 50 on dealer lots within 100miles Charlotte area. He also has a SRT8 priced at 48K. He was pointing me in that direction fairly hard also.

I'll check back in two weeks and see if he's ready to deal on the R/T.
  • drive_55_nodrive_55_no Member Posts: 2
    Well, my Dodge Dealer actually sold that R/T sometime in the last couple weeks,

Unfortunately for Dodge (and their overpriced cars), I've decided to buy a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 and save myself a lot of money.
  • frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    Anyone get a 2009 R/T for invoice? My local dealer, in NY, has an 09 R/T w/leather, auto 28J pkg. Sound Group II, R/T hood to fender stripe and 20" wheel pkg. for 34,015 MSRP. Am I nuts to think that I can get this car for it's 31,854 invoice price? A dealer 70 miles from me had a similiar R/T, blue w/6spd that they sold for $32,996, $1,479 under MSRP
  • getinmycargetinmycar Member Posts: 16
    Anyone lease a Challenger?
    I was looking at an 09 RT 27J package, electronic convenience group, 6speed manual trans, sun roof and 20's. it stickered for $37,035. The internet manager offered $33,502 and another 2 grand on top of that if I completed the deal before month’s end. Since I am not buying my next car I inquired into lease options. This is what they came back with.

Purchase price: $31502
    Money Factor: .00257
    36month Residual: 17406
    Miles: 12k yr
    Due at signing: 1000
    Monthly payment: 490-570 (I was fuzzy on this range)

I didn’t have time to sit around and ask a bunch of questions because lunch was about over. I told him I would do some more research and get back with him.

So what do you think? To me that payment looks more like a buy then a lease.
  • frankygfrankyg Member Posts: 32
    The EP ++ program on R/T's isn't so bad. The EP price would be around $33331 minus $1,000 if you finance through Chrysler. You may also be eligible for 0% for 48 months too.
  • 09challenger09challenger Member Posts: 1
    Got Employee Pricing Program, $1000 Chrysler discount, 0% for 48 months. 16K on trade in, $329 per month.

Black/Black Hemi R/T 6 speed leather Trak Pak 20" wheels, stereo upgrade. MSRP 35K

It is absolutely awesome. I traded an 03 cobra and the Challenger is ten times the car.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Post from July, 08: "Yes, wait until next summer when you can get one with $3500 cash back, 0 % financing plus $3.99 Gas card (gas will be $5 this time next year, if not sooner)."
    ^^^^^^^
    Oops! Hard to tell the future, isn't it?
    ^^^^^^^
    Got Employee Pricing Program, $1000 Chrysler discount, 0% for 48 months. 16K on trade in, $329 per month.
    Black/Black Hemi R/T 6 speed leather Trak Pak 20" wheels, stereo upgrade. MSRP 35K
    It is absolutely awesome. I traded an 03 cobra and the Challenger is ten times the car.
    I am envious. :shades: I'm sure you are going to enjoy this one. (I'm crazy about my 300C) What made you go to Dodge rather than a new Mustang?
  • SurferXSurferX Member Posts: 1
    Hey folks, looking to buy an SRT8/6 speed this spring. Would
    Like to know where the largest Dodge dealer is near the Ny/Nj area.
    Also, would like to hear of recent buying experiences from people
    In the same area. Rock on!
  • ziapiperziapiper Member Posts: 2
    I decided to buy my challenger last november. the markets were crashing and i lost over $25,000.00 in my 401k plan. i was pissed i had nothing to show for the lost money, so i decided to pull out about 30 grand and go shopping. i went to melloy dodge in albuquerque nm and decided to order one with the options i wanted. i wanted the six speed tranny(only way to drive a muscle car), they had an orange one loaded with all the bells and whistles. well they wanted $41,000.00($5,000.00 market adj). long story short. i bought it for $38,000.00. i love this car, it puts the fun in driving, and the young chicks always tell me they love the car. if i was only 30 yrs. younger. don't wait, do whatever you have to do to buy it. or you never will. when the challenger came out in 1970 was in vietnam and missed it. when it was offered again, i knew i would buy one.
  • ziapiperziapiper Member Posts: 2
    i bought my 09 r/t in november with the 5.7 and six speed tranny. the owners manual says to use premium grade.
  • sabre52270sabre52270 Member Posts: 12
    I've seen that in the manual as well. I haven't heard how it does on 89 or 87.
    Does anyone else know about that?

I've been looking for deals on Challengers and the best I've found was $1500 off of MSRP on a base SE with sunroof.

Has anyone else done better? What's the average for this super car?
    I can't believe how tough it is to get a Challenger.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I've read differing opinions, but I think it's 89 octane in the R/T auto and 91 octane in the R/T manual. But many have posted the 87 works fine in either, not on this forum but on another one. If anyone is interested in the link, shoot me an email, the addy is in my public profile.
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    And here's the information quoted from the owner's manual.

The 3.5L and 5.7L engines (with automatic transmission) are designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I hope you put some money away for the taxes that you'll have to pay on the early withdrawal from your retirement account. And good luck with the car!
  • chuckfromlichuckfromli Member Posts: 249
    Congrats on getting the car you want. Wouldn't it be cool if you had bought a 1970 and kept it all these years?

Re: The young chicks. I had a '97 Trans Am convertible in red with the WS 6 package and an aftermarket exhaust. It seems the engine sound makes their ovaries vibrate and the poor things are defenseless! :)

Anyone have an update on production of 2010 Challengers?
  • seaurchinseaurchin Member Posts: 57
    Guys i have been looking at SE model with that popular package that brings the price to $26,200. I was wondering if anyone in here has bough a Challenger in last 3-4 months and what did you end up paying.

I have been doing some research and it seems like there's almost 100 days supply of these cars out there, so i am sure you can get it at $1K below MSRP, but that would still make it too expensive for me. Can someone shed a light on the current prices charged.

P.S. Sat it it yesterday, interior is not bad, back seat is very roomy, 3 people can seat easily. I am short, 5'5' but i felt like there was enough room in there to be pretty comfortable.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you bought a new Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Fiat "special edition" model in the past year or so - or if you are a dealer who sold one - a reporter would love to hear about it. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, October 10, 2012 with your daytime phone number and a brief description of the car and your experience with it.