Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Outlander vs. Subaru Forester

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The differences are small, and it doesn't really matter.

That was my point.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,217
    I just took a tape measure to my garage & measured my Outlander. It's 37" at the bottom & almost 41" at the top of the wheel wells. I guess C&D is measuring the max distance which I find pretty useless as if you were going to set something up off the floor you could go on top of the wheel wells and go even wider.

Regarding the earlier volume measurements, I just don't see how the sub-woofer could be eating up 3 cubic feet. Take the 10" diameter, add a little added housing all around - no more than 2-3 inches in any given direction - and account for it being maybe 6-8" deep total and you have a box approximately 14 x 16 x 8 inches. 1 cubic foot = 12in x 12in x 12in = 1728 cubic inches and the dimensions I'm roughing are 14 x 16 x 8 = 1792 cubic inches so the sub-woofer is right around one cubic foot +/- 4%.
    I used cargo volume numbers from the Mitsubishi brochure for the 2008 Outlander, listed as 36.2-39 cu ft. Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but what else would account for the difference?

Maybe it's less with models with the 3rd row, and it's not the sub after all? :confuse:

If that's the case, I say ditch the tiny 3rd row and save the unneeded weight and cost. There are no airbags to protect passengers there, nor is there much crumple space. I realize the Outlander gets around with no drama, but what if you're rear ended by an overconfident teenager in a pickup or SUV?

I ruled out the Subaru Tribeca for similar reasons - 3rd row too small, no airbags there, tiny cargo volume when the 3rd row it in use. For my needs a van was simply better. You do compromise on the drive, but it rides great and offers acres of space.
    Agreed. If I were to have consistent need to haul 6 or 7 people around a minivan would be much better from a safety and comfort standpoint. There are still full seatbelts & headrests for whiplash protection but as you noted no airbags. There is some space for crumpling from the rear since the seat, when deployed, swings forward a little from the stow area.

It's possible that the 3rd row seat is what's accounting for the volume difference. I think (but am not positive) without it there's a cargo area that's covered to maintain the flat seat.

Anyway, it's come in handy once so far. It may again but I'm sure it won't be often. I don't mind the cost but do wish the seat was removable to add a little hidden cargo area & save a few pounds.
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 389
    Yes, In my 2007 LS there is a shallow storage area in lieu of the seat. Besides not wanting to spend the additional $ for an XLS at the time I had no desire for the 3rd row seat. The storage isn't all that much (maybe 5-6" inches deep at tops, but I got more out of it by removing the foam organizer tray...it's just a carpeted area now that's left under the cover) I put my towing related stuff in there and a few tools.
    Well that explains the 2 different numbers.

What surprises me is that the EPA would allow that. Or maybe those are just numbers from Mitsubishi?

Foresters have similar storage under the cargo floor. The cargo cover has a custom-sized spot, or you can remove the foam tray entirely and fit a flat tire in the spot where the spare resides.

We keep a spare winter jacket there and a long golf umbrella.
  • dodo2dodo2 Posts: 496
    I haven't checked this forum for more than a year I think and I could not believe that the Outlander vs Forester "war" went on for so long.

"I used cargo volume numbers from the Mitsubishi brochure for the 2008 Outlander, listed as 36.2-39 cu ft. Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but what else would account for the difference? "

The difference accounts for the min/max cargo space due to the sliding/reclining rear seats.

FWIW, my Outlander is still going strong after almost 3 years with no problems other than regular maintenance.

Mitsu is doing rather well in Canada, opening up more stores and selling pretty decent numbers - Outlander and Lancer that is; the Galant and Endeavor have been dead for a long time in Canada and the Eclipse is not far behind.
    Both the Outlander and the Lancers are now pretty common sights in Toronto area.
    In Canada, Subaru and Mitsu sales are very close, especially if you compare Impreza/Forester vs Lancer/Outlander. With the addition of the new Legacy and Outback, Subaru will probably take the lead overall.
    sliding/reclining rear seats

That could explain the difference as well.
    Mitsubishi Motors Ends The Year With Positive Sales Momentum

From the article:

* Every Mitsubishi model showed an increase in sales compared to the prior month (November 2009).
    * Lancer sales were up 13.9 percent compared to the prior month and up 16.9 percent compare to December 2008.
    * Outlander sales were up 81 percent compared to last month. (emphasis mine) It was Outlander’s third highest monthly sales total in 2009, and sales were up 11.4 percent compared to December 2008.
    * December was Galant’s second best sales month of 2009, up 162 percent compared to last month and up 32 percent compared to December of 2008.
    * Endeavor sales were up 15.9 percent compared to the prior month.
    * Lancer Sportback sales were up 5.8 percent compared to the prior month.

My guess that Outlander sales might have been depressed based on people waiting for the new model may just be accurate based on an 81% jump in sales. Although to be honest I'm not sure what drove the Galant sales boost.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    If you sold 1 last month and 10 this month you could also claim an increase of 900%. :shades
    The PR machine was working overtime. That is a nice spin on things, I'll give them credit.

Usually sales are compared to the same month a year prior, and then YTD vs. the year prior.

sales were up 11.4 percent compared to December 2008

That's a good sign, but per Automotive News:

Overall, December sales of 1,030,096 light vehicles rose 15 percent from December 2008

So minus the PR spin, the Outlander actually lost a little bit of market share compared to the old model a year ago.

Having said that, if demand for the GT is hot as you mentioned earlier, it'll take time to adjust the production lines to output more of those. It could take a couple of months to adjust.

It is an encouraging sign after a dismal November.
    If you get it on TV, it was on this weeks' episode. Link to text:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/carkeys/02.shtml

This part made me go "HUH?"

Inside, dash and doors don synthetic leather trim
    Same on the Mitsubishi site:

The Outlander GT Prototype is loaded with premium features like grained synthetic leather, double stitching and generous chrome accents that raise the bar on CUV luxury

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/jsp/company/concepts.do

That sheds new lights on this post:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f185114/849#MSG849

Quote from it:

Forester is not suppose to have leather dash. It has plastic dash appropriate to the price

As it turns out, neither does the Outlander. :P
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 389
    Forester is not suppose to have leather dash. It has plastic dash appropriate to the price

As it turns out, neither does the Outlander.

Well it's obvious there were no New Years resolutions regarding minutiae

Oh well...... :cry:
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Actually, I was fairly impressed that Mitzu had outfitted the Outlander with a leather dash. Especially since as chelentano claimed:

$45K Mercedes GLK has plastic dash instrument panel, while the $29K Outlander comes with double-stitched leather instrument panel

But even if it's not really leather, "grained synthetic leather" sounds so much nicer than calling it what it really is... plastic :P

-Frank
    ...and that was my point, he was really rubbing that in our faces, turns out he was wrong all along.
    Here is a sales chart from Automotive News, spin-free:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100105/RETAIL01/100109984/1- 400#

Automaker 12/09 12/08 Pct. chng. 2009, 2008, Pct. chng.

Mitsubishi 4,357 4,570 –5% 53,986 97,257 –44%
    Subaru 23,074 17,287 33% 216,652 187,699 15%
  • >> This part made me go HUH? That sheds new lights on this post:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f185114/849#MSG849
    Quote from it: Forester is not suppose to have leather dash. It has plastic dash appropriate to the price. As it turns out, neither does the Outlander.

"This part made me go HUH?" :)

1. I've never said the Outlander has genuine leather dash. But even if synthetic leather, it is still a double-stitch leather and not molded plastic. Mercedes sells M-Class, GLK class and others with synthetic leather seats and which is hard to tell and it feels luxurious. The Mercedes dash however is a molded plastic and feels cheaper.

2. My post 849 of Dec 1 only suggests that Forester doesn't have a leather dash, which is true. I also suggested that it's not suppose to have leather dash at that price, which is also true.

3. And actually the funniest thing is that you are the one who said first on this board that Outlander has leather dash. In message 769 on Nov 20 "Leather on the dash looks great".

O-o-ps you did it again on Nov 29 post 829: "The leather dash is a nice upgrade, and it runs across the dash an into the tops of the door panels."

So you've mentioned "leather" here first and at least twice before I did. Then what's a problem? I saw the GT interior only on pictures, but you have inspected it in person back in November reporting to us "The leather dash is a nice upgrade, and it runs across the dash an into the tops of the door panels".

>> he was really rubbing that in our faces, turns out he was wrong all along.

"HUH"? Are you going to apologize or what???
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    But even if synthetic leather, it is still a double-stitch leather and not molded plastic

Nice try but it's still PLASTIC. It may look and feel better than a molded plastic dash but regardless of whether you call it plastic, vinyl or double-stitched synthetic leather , it's still made from petroleum distillates :P

-Frank