Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    1. Get the V8 (!!!)

2. Wait and get an '05, you're just 8-10 weeks away or so...
  • alfaalfa Member Posts: 11
    Good evening Girls and Boys I'm about to buy from a broker a Limited V/8 4/4 with Nav,Sunroof,side air bags a few other things?I wanted a V/6 limited in gold but they do not seem to be any around here in my area.The drag about a broker is I found it it has this ,you want it then go pick it up ! It does not have a tow package or maybe it does comes with it ?and I plan to use it for some 3,000 lb towing a few times a year . price is 500 over invoice but does not have X-REAS what is X-REAS and how does it help the ride? I was guessing it a electronic shock control system with rear air shocks? I'm at 38k and don't want to spend a lot more. If is electronic shock control thats great until the shocks go and then you throw the stuff out because they are to costly to replace. and do I need to get a tow add on package?I would like the third row but 1,000 is a bit much for those tiny seats , local dealers start 42k and try to stay as high as they can below that?Thanks for any info that would help me decide on the right package.
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    Get the V6. Its just as powerful as the V8. VTEC makes high torque possible at both high and low rpm. You also get much better mileage.

I have the V8 with 4WD. Gets 14 mpg. I wish I bought the V6,V6 handling is also more nimble due to light front end.

Wait for the 05 V8 with VTEC if you must have a V8.
  • 69mach169mach1 Member Posts: 60
    I have 2003 Sport V-8 that has the tow package and X-Reas. I'm probably one of the few on this board that doesn't think X-Reas is worth the expense.

In short the X-Reas system works on inertia of the vehicle when going around corners causing the shocks to stiffen up on the leaning side. In theory it sounds great, but in reality I don't see much difference. I complained to Toyota, they said it was working within specs, whatever that means. I also talked to a 4X4 guy, he suggested dumping the X-Reas system and putting on KYB shocks and a stiffer sway bar. I may do that in the future, but will wait until the vehicle is out of warranty.

To be fair about this, I drive in the mountains of Colorado on twisty roads. I don't expect sports car handling, but to me, the Toyota leans to much in the corners.

If you're going to pull a trailer get the V-8, it's a proven engine and performs wondefully. It has a lower power band where you need it when pulling a trailer.
  • richinraleighrichinraleigh Member Posts: 18
    I have the V6 and am very happy with its pep and power. If your not towing, there is no need to give up the extra mpg by going with the v8, in my opinion.
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    "Get the V6. Its just as powerful as the V8."

Calling the V6 just as powerful as the V8 is wrong. The V8 has significantly more torque. However, for towing only 3000lbs, either engine will do.

" You also get much better mileage"

2mpg increase is hardly much better mileage.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I have the V6 and it has plenty of power for me, even driving up mountain passes in Colorado. Good gas mileage too. The one frustration I have with the engine is its horrible sound. It sounds cheap. Hopefully, Toyota did their homework and the engine runs great for 200,000 miles like the other engines they build.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    Anybody who's facing this decision should search this thread (lots of data and comparisons and opinions!) and drive both back-to back. See what you think about feel, cornering, acceleration (both standing start and, say, 50-70 MPH), towing ratings, etc.

As for power, the V6 is more powerful by about 4% at its peak, and the V8 has about 14% more torque at its peak. The V6 is lighter and can be operated in 2WD, so acceleration figures are very close. The V8 is quicker off the start, and then the V6 catches up, and some tests indicate it's faster at the top end.

But are you really buying this vehicle for its acceleration? Do you drive with your foot to the floor more than rarely? Do you have a strong desire for the V8 badge and V8 bragging rights? Both engines will likely have ample power for your needs. Only you can weigh your own needs.

I had no problem with the cost of either engine, and drove them both repeatedly. I liked the way the V6 drove a little better, and bought that one, but of course I wasn't spending *your* money. You may be swayed by the greater towing capacity of the V8 or the 10% better gas mileage of the V6, or some other factor not mentioned yet.

On the subjext of X-Reas, I didn't see a lot of difference, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the lack of body lean in corners even without it. In freeway sweepers (ramps, etc) I go faster than many sedans, and still feel I'm being reasonably conservative. Rapid twisties in the mountains aren't going to be fun in any SUV, I suspect.

Hey alfa, congratulations on being the 10,000th poster in this thread!
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Prior to owning my '03, AWD, V8 4Runner Limited with X-REAS, I put 50,000 miles on a 2002 4WD Explorer XLT (and before that, almost as many miles on a girlfriend's '97 Explorer Sport). In my experience, the Explorers (especially the '97) were far more top-heavy and prone to roll and pitch. When driving the Fords, if I started (for example) into a freeway or highway curve going just a little too fast, I would immediately feel the vehicle beginning to teeter and understeer. (Those of you who're familiar with this teetering sensation know that it's not pleasant!)

By contrast, my X-REAS, AWD 4Runner negotiates the same curves (at the same or even higher speeds) with tremendous stability, surefootedness, and without any teetering or impending roll sensations whatsoever. Now mind you, I'm not about the business of trying to see just how far I can push the 4Runner, because it certainly has its limits. I'm merely saying that compared with the Fords; the X-REAS, AWD 4Runner is the most stable, well-mannered, maneuverable, safe, and above all, FORGIVING sport utility vehicle I've had the pleasure of driving (and I've put over 19,000 miles on mine so far).

Quoting Toyota's literature: "X-REAS links each of the vehicle's shocks to their diagonal counterpart via a gas/hydraulic chamber-- front-left to rear-right, and front-right to rear-left. During cornering or traveling on a bumpy surface, the gas/hydraulic chamber acts like a bank, 'borrowing' fluid from the cross-linked shock bearing the least amount of force, and 'loaning' it to the shock sustaining the greatest amount of force. This helps the 4Runner's wheels maintain contact with the driving surface and helps lessen vehicle body roll and pitch..."

Let's suppose you're heading into a rightward highway curve just a little too fast or "hot" in a top-heavy, lesser SUV that lacks X-REAS (such as the new Explorers). As you enter the curve, the lesser vehicle will begin to teeter to the left, and you will feel the vehicle's top-heavy body beginning to roll to the left. You will also feel it starting to understeer and wanting to travel to the left, possibly running off the road unless the appropriate corrective actions are taken. At this point, an inexperienced SUV driver may try to OVERSTEER the vehicle back to the RIGHT (back into the curve), and this may very well cause the vehicle to completely roll over. (In my experience, the most appropriate corrective action in this situation would be to first begin gently but assertively applying smooth and steady braking in order to slow the vehicle fairly quickly, thus quickly bleeding off the offending angular momentum The more the vehicle is slowed down, the more it will permit and tolerate being steered back to the right.)

As the above rollover scenario unfolds in your mind, note that as the lesser SUV begins to teeter and roll to the left, the shocks on the same side of the vehicle are becoming evermore compressed and overloaded with stress and weight. Meanwhile, the shocks on the right-side of the vehicle are becoming ever more extended and unloaded as the right side of the vehicle begins to lift up in the course of the vehicle's leftward teeter and roll. In this situation, as the right-side shocks decompress and extend themselves, they may tend to further TIP the vehicle's precarious attitude towards a leftward rollover.

Next, consider this same scenario with the X-REAS *safety* technology in place. Here, the left-side X-REAS shocks would progressively stiffen as the X-REAS system dynamically strives to correct these force imbalences by diagonally cross-transferring hydraulic/gas pressure into the left-side shocks, thus directly COUNTERING the leftward rollover forces and angular momentum. At the same time, X-REAS is temporarily transferring hydraulic/gas pressure AWAY from the right-side shocks, thus reducing their tendency to "bounce" the vehicle back towards the leftward tipping if/when the vehicle's body should roll back to the right in the course of corrective actions on the part of the driver.

In my opinion, X-REAS works as claimed, and then some. Indeed, I do a great deal of freeway driving, and I've had several close calls in my 4Runner, in which someone abruptly pulled out closely in front of me, right in my path. At these times, I've instinctively taken emergency evasive actions, and thankfully I've not been involved in any accidents, thanks in large measure to the truly remarkable stability of my X-REAS, AWD 4Runner. Indeed, this magnificent vehicle often feels like it's Michelin Cross Terrains are "glued" to the road, and I've simply never driven another SUV with this degree of performance.

That said, when we're suddenly faced with this type of split-second hazard, I don't care how good a driver you are-- your first instinct will likely be to (1) abruptly jerk the wheel in an effort to steer out of the impending collision, and (2) aggressively apply the brakes. (In fact, if we can train ourselves to do so, I believe that within the world of "microseconds", the very first countermeasure should be assertive BRAKING, followed a "microsecond" later by reasonable attempts at evasive steering maneuvers.) At any rate, any time you jerk the wheel of an SUV in an effort to avoid calamity, you risk rolling the vehicle and possibly killing yourself and others. But as I've opined above, it is my humble opinion that the X-REAS equipped, AWD 4Runner is the most FORGIVING, SAFE, NIMBLE, MANEUVERABLE, SUREFOOTED and ROADWORTHY truck I've ever had the pleasure of driving.

X-REAS is our good friend. While its many virtues may not often be so "obvious" in the course of more mundane day-to-day driving... those same virtues, especially the enormous SAFETY value of X-REAS, should become quite evident if you ever need to call upon it. In my opinion, those who would claim that X-REAS is hype, don't yet really know what they're talking about. If your 4Runner has X-REAS and you're not yet "impressed" by it, perhaps you have yet to encounter (or to fully recognize and appreciate) the many moment-to-moment situations where X-REAS is actually at work, unobtrusively and adeptly assisting you, the driver.

I rest my case.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Or it could be that a 4Runner on Michelins simply is a much better handling SUV that a Ford Explorer. X-REAS may have very little to do with it.

- Mark
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    Actually, the towing capacity of the V-6 is rated at 5,000 pounds (weight-carrying). As a side note, I have a 2004 V-6 SR5 2WD - I've had it since January, and have 7,260 miles on it - and I am plenty/very happy with it; zero problems to date. /Ron
    Tires has almost nothing to do with reducing body roll.

A few months ago, MSNBC did a special about SUVs and their propensity to roll over. Their was a test (performed by NHTSA, I believe) that showed both a 4Runner with and without X-REAS. The S-REAS equipped 4Runner performed much better at the slalom and in the emergency lane change maneuver.

There was also a video link showing the X-REAS in action on the MSNBC site, but unfortunately, the article and video are no longer available.

The X-REAS is not just for show. There is a clear demonstable advantage in having it.
    You are correct. The V6 can tow 5000 lbs. I must have made a typo :)
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    "Tires has almost nothing to do with reducing body roll."

I whole heartily disagree with you on that statement, it is part of of the total handling makeup. You get some tires with weak sidewalls, and/or improperly inflated and you will definitely experience more body roll in just about any vehicle. Not to mention cornering and just about any kind of road handling manners can be improved with better threads on the ground.

I do like and believe in the X-REAS setup, and plan to get it on my 4R.
    IIRC, the differences in roll behavior in the different tests were due to VSC, not X-Reas. However I think that X-Reas would indeed help.

Also, I think the biggest roll danger isn't from the first quick or hard turn you make. It's from the compensating turn you make the other way after you've avoided what you were trying to avoid (or the turn you make to straighten out after you've turned too far). The problem is is the momentum in the body roll as it's trying to roll back upright after being disturbed by the first hard turn. During the second turn it adds to the tendency of the vehicle to roll. VSC and X-Reas, I think, tend to prevent this, though they do it in different ways. VSC probably helps control turning, while X-Reas lessens body roll.

If you want to understand this better, just imagine accidently drifting off of the right side of the pavement due to falling asleep, inattention, etc. When the wheels get off the pavement you jerk the wheel hard/fast back to the left to get back on the road. Then you find you've over-corrected and may be in danger of veering into the oncoming lane or going off the other edge of the road. You yank the wheel hard/fast back to the right. Imagine the side forces and body roll sequence in this case and you'll see what I mean.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't an alarm sound in the cabin (accompanied by the VSC icon illuminating) when the VSC and/or TC kicks in? So far, during my previous evasive maneuvers on dry pavement, I've not yet heard any alarm, which leads me to think that at least in those particular situations, X-REAS was working without the additional aid of VSC(?).

Regarding the role that tires play in this debate, I would mention that my 2002 Explorer was also equipped with Michelin Cross Terrains (my favorite tires). Also, I would think that the past issues with certain Firestone SUV tires would seem to suggest that tires which are over-inflated, oversized, or prone to catastrophic failure, are likely to be important contributing factors in some rollover accidents.

Corancher raises some interesting points regarding the likely succession of steering countermeasures, along with their possible consequences. To this I would say that in my previously posted scenario, I actually addressed this to a limited extent when I wrote: "At the same time, X-REAS is temporarily transferring hydraulic/gas pressure AWAY from the right-side shocks, thus reducing their tendency to "bounce" the vehicle back towards the leftward tipping if/when the vehicle's body should roll back to the right in the course of corrective actions on the part of the driver...."

I believe a key point here would be that evasive steering maneuvers (or other sudden perturbations) in an SUV may be likely to send the vehicle into an "OSCILLATING" pattern of unwanted motion, including various combinations of roll and counter-roll (rotation about an axis); pitch (up-down); and yaw (side to side). Once these oscillating movements are set in motion, the vehicle is, of course, in an unstable and precarious attitude.

Aside from certain driving countermeasures (which may be unreliable), I believe that X-REAS and the new 4Runner's other on-board safety systems (e.g., VSC and TC) greatly increase the chances for a safe and successful recovery. Systems such as X-REAS (and VSC/TC) serve to not only DAMPEN and quell these unstable oscillations and assist in bringing the vehicle back to a safer attitude; they likely also help to buffer, "TRIM", and COMPENSATE for many over-exuberant (or ill advised) inputs from the driver. In addition, I'm inclined to believe that 4Runners additionally equipped with AWD may be even more capable of a safe recovery, even on dry pavement.

In my opinion, herein rests the true ingenuity and technological prowess of the new 4Runners, especially when more fully equipped. Its advanced on-board safety systems are in some ways analogous to those in the world's safest aircraft. Indeed, among SUVs, the new 4Runners (and Lexus siblings) are without peers.
  • raiderraider Member Posts: 12
    Stove1, could you elaborate on your suggestion to wait for the '05
    V-8 with VTEC.
    Ah, I guess I should have qualified my statement with the assumption that the tires are properly inflated. I didn't mean to generalize tires as a whole. The sidewalls on the Dunlop (and I would imagine the Michelins as well) are not weak, but I believe (from experience) that the Dunlops perform better on road while the Bridgestones have more bite off road.

As an overall package, tires do indeed have some factor with handling, but compared to VSC, proper wheel alignment, X-REAS, and suspension, tires perform a smaller role.
    I believe that the vehicle in the test also had the X-REAS system, but I was not able to verify it as the article is no longer available on the msnbc website.

I think that VSC involves braking, which improves handling while the X-REAS prevents body roll (also previously mentioned :) ) I would imagine that there is no indicator for the X-REAS system since I would imagine that it works very frequently to some extent. The only time that I was able to get the VSC light to illuminate was when forcing a hard turn on a slick road. VSC truly is a great feature now made standard on all 4Runners.

Happy 4th :)
    kheintz1 and alfster1, I think I'm in agreement with your recent posts.

An alarm does sound in the cabin when the VSC system finds that it's not able to get the vehicle substantially in the direction you're intending to go. Otherwise when it's working you just get the flashing yello dash indicator.

The idea of steering and/or body oscillations is just the kind of thing I was talking about. VSC helps with part of the problem, reducing understeer and oversteer, but X-Reas should help with more, preventing and damping the oscillations.

VSC does indeed involve braking and perhaps dethrottling. Sometimes it's hard to separate the effects of traction control and VSC, as I found after a snowstorm around the turn of the year. I posted my experiences and insights here then, so I won't repeat those now.

Good discussion!
    Picked up my V8 limited today. I kind of wanted a v/6 but this is 2nd new car in 20 years so when cars direct found the color I wanted
    ( gold ) in a limited with Nav.I spoiled myself. And bought it. Cars direct was great. None of this start at msrp + and then fight with sales manager to get the price down. Cars direct price was very close to invoice. It was quick and painless.
    Well now I'm in love with this machine. The V/8 5spd auto is very smooth. The 10 speaker sounds just fine to me I wanted a V/6 at first ,but decided that a v/8 might be better for pulling a boat.Did not get X-REAS .Seems to drive just fine.I'm in the auto business ,been around boats , cars , trucks ,motorcycles for years,I can't remember the last time some told me there machine had to much power so they were trading for something thats more under powered.
    Lol.
    Congratulations on your new V8 4Runner Limited! My '03 Limited also has the DVD/Nav. package, which I love, especially the navigation system.

For what it's worth, I'll mention a few products that I've found to be worthwhile: (1) Chevron Techron concentrate-- every ~2500-3000 miles, try adding a 20 oz. bottle of this fuel system cleaner to a tank of fuel. Highly recommended; (2) Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W30 motor oil. I change my oil every 5000 miles, and therefore I don't feel a more expensive synthetic oil such as Amsoil is necessary; (3) ZAINO exterior and interior finish products http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc (4) Husky floorliners and cargo bed liner (highly recommended); (5) ScotchGard for protecting carpet and cloth headliner against stains; (6) Michelin Cross Terrains. A matter of preference. You may already have these on your truck. My 4Runner came equipped with Bridgestones, and my dealer was happy to replace them with Cross Terrains at no additional cost.

Alfa, enjoy your new 4Runner!
    I believe that I want to buy a black 4wd V-8 4-Runner Sport. I want side and curtain airbags with it and I am wondering if I am going to be able to get the vehicle I want this late in the model year either on the lot, through dealer trade or by special order. My 158,000 mile Explorer Sport is about to die. I guess I could order a 2005 with what I want and then get a rental car for the next few months.
    My Explorer Sport has an engine problem, including a knock.

Any suggestions I would appreciate.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Raider, have you checked at a dealer yet for availability (they can also run a search for you)? The side curtain airbag option is pretty scarce out here in California, unless you can pony up for the limited model (they don't equip them with curtain airbags on Sport & SR5 model in California). I would think that the 2005 models should be coming out within the next two to three months. If you can't find what you want in a 2004 model, I would wait to see what 2005 will bring. Hopefully your Explorer will last another few months.
    Beanctr, I am going to ask some dealers to check and see what they can find available. Unfortunately, I don't if my Explorer is going to make it a few more months. I may just sell it and then rent a car for a few months if I am ordering a 2005.
    Thanks for the tips on products to use.I really never thought of using the fuel system cleaner.I kind of forgot about. But the teacher at a tech class I was taking a few years ago which has a lot of contact with OE manufacturing companies did say that there was a test done at that time by a independent company of serveral fuel additives and the outcome of the test was that techron was the only product that actually did help clean the fuel system. I'll give Zaino store a try also. As far a using synthetic is not better to let the engine break in for 10 to 20,000 miles first with no synthetic oil so the rings get a chance to seat. ?I had heard that a few years back? But Now I see new corvettes and porsche use synthetic in the engine from day one?
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    I bought a 04 V8 Sport 4WD, with the only option being the side airbags. There is not even a sunroof. I ordered in Feb and took delivery in Apr.. I don't know where you are located, but if it's any help, my dealer is Toyota of Boone, NC. It was overall a very good experience.
    Cheers
    Pat
    I didn't begin using Quaker State Full Synthetic until ~15,000 miles, simply because I was mulling over the decision that long. Prior to this, my dealer was using regular Quaker State, so I decided to eventually go to Quaker State Full Synthetic. At any rate, it's my understanding that synthetic oil can safely and confidently be used from the outset in new vehicles, so long as the oil meets or exceeds the manufacturer's specs and SAE specs. For more information, visit http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

Today's better synthetic oils are not the same as friction-lowering oil ADDITIVES such as Slick 50, which should be avoided.
    Pat, thanks for the tip. I actually live abotu 100 miles west
    of Knoxville, Tennessee. I'm afraid it may be to late to order a 2004. However, I guess I will find that out in the next week
    if I can't find what I want on a lot or through a dealer search.
  • glenski01glenski01 Member Posts: 44
    I am the proud owner of an 04 V8 Sport, 4x4. The towing capacity is 7000 lbs, I reside in Colorado, which one must reduce towing by 20%, this makes it 5600lb rated (reduction due to high elevations).
    I currently tow a Coleman popup trlr., loaded it weighs 3000lbs. No problem whatsoever. The Mountains begin at 5600 ft elevation and go up from there, this can be a challenge for many rigs.
    Later this year, I plan on purchasing a 23-25' travel trailer. Longer, more mass, more height. Naturally, the RV dealer thinks this should be no problem.
    Anyone have any experiences, good or bad? Please advise, THANKS....
  • kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Check with the RV dealer about the weight of the trailer, figure your load, and do the math for altitude. I just came thru there in the same vehicle, on I-70 eastbound to Denver, and it pulled the mountains like a champ (not towing anything). I have found that I get slightly better mileage with premium fuel, although the octane requirment goes down with altitude, so it's probably a waste of money, up high.
    Cheers
    Pat
    Sounds like you may be cutting it close in terms of gross towing weight. (My '03, V8 4Runner Ltd. has a class III/IV hitch in place, but I've not yet used it.) At any rate, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that the newer 4Runners (even those equipped with class III/IV trailer hitches) do not have any type of oil intercooler(s) installed as part of a towing package(?).
  • ohtomaohtoma Member Posts: 28
    Just announced $750 cash back on 4R in the northeast -- I guess procrastination does pay off!
  • tartallinitartallini Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2WD V8... I love it. Tons of torque and can pass anything quickly and easily. I get 17.5mpg in towm, and 20mpg on the highway; not towing anything.

I think both the V6 and V8 will get you where you want to go, and do it well, but you might check out the Consumer Reports reviews on them too help in your decision as well.
  • yobow1yobow1 Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone know if the new 4.0L engine for the 4Runner is the same basic block as the previous 3.4L, but maybe bored and stoked? Also, other than some noise coming from the exhaust manifold, has any problems been worked out with the V6 4.0L? Thanks.

Dave
  • peter78peter78 Member Posts: 284
    I remember reading Toyota built a brand new all aluminum 4.0 truck engine. The 3.4 V6 has a cast iron block, timing belt and no variable timing. Completely different animal.
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I agree, that's what I read too. I also remember reading that the 4.0L V6 was developed for and first used on the Toyota "Prado".
  • biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    I believe the problems inherent to the V6 have been worked out (fuel in 2003 and Crankshaft pulley in 2004). There are other problems (TSB) pertaining to both the V8 and V6 such as: sulfur odor from exhaust, sunroof rattling problems, rear armrest, and front seat (rocking) problems.

If you're not frequently towing heavy loads (i.e. 5000+ lbs.) I would get the V6. You will get more horsepower (245 vs. 235 in V8), better gas mileage, 125 lbs less engine weight, $1300 cheaper, and the ability to ride around in 2WD with full time 4WD capability when needed.

On the other side of the coin, the V8 is an older bullet proof engine, with more torque (320 lb-ft vs. 283 lb-ft. in V6), with a new 5 speed automatic, that can tow 7000 lbs. In any event I'd wait for the 2005 models to see what (if) improvements they've made in both the V6 (5 speed tranny) and V8 (VVT-i).
  • md4runnermanmd4runnerman Member Posts: 72
    is a 2004 Limited with the V8. The engine runs smooth as melted butter. I have the 5 speed automatic trans. which shifts as smooth as the engine runs. I am very happy with the V8 and would recommend it to everyone, especially in the light of some of the V6 prolems being mentioned here. Hope this helps someone decide who is in the market now. I have had my vehicle since mid February. I have had no problems with it other than the exhaust which I recently got corrected under the new TSB for the V8 vehicles.
  • yobow1yobow1 Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the info guys...that's what I was looking for.
  • stove1stove1 Member Posts: 53
    When do you all do your first oil change on the V8. I'm thinking doing it early like 3000.
  • hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    What do you do with a 96 4runner Limited with the ignition key stuck in the ignition? My father in law has been driving his for about 3 years like this. He just uses another key to lock and unlock it manually from the outside. It still starts and runs just fine. I think it had a remote, which is not working, since the vehicle unlocks itself when it is used.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I had the key stick in the ignition of my other car - except the engine was running and the key wouldn't even turn. The dealer had to take the ignition out of the steering column (or dash) and send it off to the factory for repair. This was covered under warranty so I don't know how much it cost, but the car was out of service for 4 work days.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    A professional locksmith can remove the key. What a locksmith will have is a piece of piano wire about 8 inches long, with a tiny hook bent in the end. He will insert the piano wire above the key with the hook in the flat position. At the end of the keyway, he will turn the hook to engage the end of the key and pull the broken key out.
       I used to fund some locksmiths. They showed me a few tricks.
    I have my own piece of piano wire.
  • hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    Thanks Pat84. I'll give it a try.
  • robsterrobster Member Posts: 12
    Just test drove an SR5 V8 4x4. Looked under the hood and couldn't locate the transmission fluid dip stick. Sales person couldn't figure it out either. We finally got someone from the service area to look at it and they said that the earlier V8s had a dip stick, but Toyota has now stopped making the V8s with dip sticks. He thought that there was now a plug somewhere on the transmission that requires getting under the vehicle in order to check the transmission fluid. Anyone out there know anything about this?
  • robsterrobster Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know of any companies out there that sell after market tonneau covers for a 2004 4Runner?
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    Yes the technician is correct. There is no dip stick on the 5speed tranny. It is life long fluid.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe the new 4Runner's maintenance schedule includes changing the transmission fluid every 30,000 miles. According to my dealer, this involves simply draining the fluid by gravity (no "flushing"!) followed by refilling with fresh transmission fluid.
  • whodatwhodat Member Posts: 2
    Hi everybody,

Looking two buy a new 2004, or 2005 4Runner. I'm hoping you folks will lend a hand with a couple of questions, and add any tips that you may have concerning the purchase.

First, my intent is to purchase the V6 4WD SR5 or Sport model. The V6 should save me 3 or 4 miles per gallon over my current F150 4WD pickup. However, it seems that there is some question to the grade of gasoline that can be used. The salesman I've talked to assures me that it will run fine on regular unleaded (87 octane). From what I've read in these forums, many people are running 89, or 91 octane.

So, my questions........ will the 4Runner run fine on 87 octane? Are most of you using regular gas?

Next, I guess some other things I should check, or be aware of are the following:

Sulfur smell - Is this generally noticeable at first, or does it develop over time?

V6 engine making a whirling sound - noticeable with windows up?

Leak around the crankshaft pully.

Fuel delivery problem - sound like this one is taken care of?

Rocking seats?

Anyhow, does that pretty much sum it up? Anything else of major concern? Anything else to listen for/look for? Any other tips?

Obviously, I'm sure Toyota is taking/taken care of some of those issues in their current production........ still, any tips/pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance.