Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fiesta

Comments

• nozferatnozferat Member Posts: 11
    Already Ford is baiting and switching the car's options....LOL.

What a great car company huh? They can't even hold to their word about what sort of car they are going to release.

The 17 inch rims options is no longer available.

I wonder what else they are lying about.....
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Settle down. Ford dumped the 17" rims a couple of months ago because no one ordered them. They were a $2000 ($500 a rim + the tire upgrade) option. No one was going to pay that anyway. I don't know why you would call that bait and switch.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    How DARE they change an option on a car before it's even for sale........ ;)
  • phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    What a hoot! If early pre-orders showed NO INTEREST in the $2000 upgrade to the optional 17`` Rims and Tires, can you fault the manufacturer from dropping the option? Perhaps they should still offer it for the few dozen people that decide that (they) want to pay for the wheel/tire upgrade? Why not offer an optional (pink or violet) paint option for a few hundred dollars extra and perhaps they might build 2 dozen of those as well! They also dropped the European Auto-Climate Control for heat/ac for a regular simple manual system, lets [non-permissible content removed] about that too while we are at it! Funny, the biggest "Bashers" are usually the same folks that have NEVER purchased a NEW vehicle in their entire lifetime, but love going around throwing shots and kicking tires on new cars while they drive around their 10 year old demolition derby clunkers!
    BS.

Actually quite a few ordered them...and besides...it should still be an option.

Ford's official position was that they could not find tires that met the ride quality for the car....what nonsense.

They offer 17 in factory rims for a stupid Focus but not this new model?

Give me a break....let's not make excuses.
    Yes indeed...how dare they...especially when they are using the images of the sportier rims on their website and yet don't offer them.
    In other words, you're upset because you wanted them and now you can't get them. Why don't you just say that instead of making baseless accusations. I'm sure you and the other 3 people that wanted them won't hurt the sales numbers.
    No....I'm saying that if I option out a car that is supposed to come here and they begin to change things around, I'm not going to buy it.

If others want to deal with a car company that cannot sell what they claim they'll sell, I'm not going to be the big idiot supporting them.

Not only are they modifying the options available, they're now changing and limiting interior/exterior combinations at the last minute.

Why would they do this if they want to make a good impression? When all other car manufacturers offer what they advertise, what would possess me to buy this now other than being an outright fan-boy who doesn't mind getting screwed over?

What's your excuse?
    Lets see......limiting exterior/interior combinations too? Every car I`ve EVER bought off the lot or ordered had in the "Owners Manual" the usual paragraph that the manufacturers reserves the right to make changes,modifications, in both content and equipment without notice or being required to make changes to previous models due to production changes! Remember years ago when GM got in trouble by substituting different engine/transmission combinations in some of its vehicles. An Oldsmobile ended up with a Chevrolet engine or transmission , someone got a lawyer and sued for a zillion dollar for mis-representation and from then on...all GM Vehicles had a disclaimer in its literature that GM reserves the right to use and switch components of any of its vehicles to be used in all vehicles that they manufacture regardless of the "Brand". Why not [non-permissible content removed] that Ford.Canada has different product content features at different prices then those sold here in the US? They don`t charge an extra $180 for Candy Red Metallic Paint, but they charge $1095 for a Power Moon Roof instead of $695. for US bound vehicles? The entire pricing and content structure has always been different. In Canada the 2011 Ford Fiesta has Sirrus Sat Radio as standard equipment with free 6 month activation! Also includes a FREE cargo area containment holder which is an option in the US? But, check out the several thousand dollar increase in Canadian dollar for similar cars. The exchange rate is almost even so you can`t blame the price difference on the different currency.
    They pulled the 17" rims long before orders could actually be put in the system so when you say "Actually quite a few ordered them", I'm not sure what you mean. I'm sure some people reserved them but the reservation system isn't an order.

You can buy much nicer rims for a lot less than $500. Why are you so hung up on these rims?
    Just something to [non-permissible content removed] and bash about!
    Yeah, I think you're right. I just checked his last 10 posts in other forums and it was all just a bunch of angry rants.
    edited April 2010
    ....and I'm extremely glad I ordered my Fiesta. The automotive media really likes this car. There is bemoaning of its 1.6 liter engine which is no surprise but they love its handling, solid ride and ultra quiet interior. And actually, some thought the engine was fine and that the Fiesta was the quickest in its class.
    I`ve read almost as many reviews too all posted after the Media black-out was lifted yesterday on Apr. 26, the supposed Job1 date for full production of the 2011 Ford Fiesta at its Mexico City assembly plant. For the most part, I agree. Almost everyone was pleased with both fit,finish, handling, braking, steering, comfort, etc. A few complaints about limited back seat room but its a B-Segment sub-compact vehicle. My 2006 Kia Rio5 SX has adequate rear room for 2 adults as long as I don`t extend the front seats to the absolute end of the track. I know those that wait a year or 2 will get a vastly improved US version of the Fiesta with Eco-Boost engine performance improvements as well as other items that always get "tweeked" on first year cars. I ordered mine now cause I chose not to wait, and when they finally start running the line for the 5 door SE hatchback with the Power Moon Roof that I insisted on waiting for, I`ll be looking to get my hands on it sometime in July or August! Yikes...I just realized, its going to have" tiny" 15`` wheels and tires with the optional painted alloy rims that were included in the Sport Appearance Package.....horrors! I hope it won`t look like a Flintstone Car or a Matchbook Toy!
    There are a lot of pictures out there that show the 15" aluminum wheels on the car and I saw a blue SE sedan with the 15" aluminum wheels at the Mpls. Auto Show and really, they looked fine on the car. Proportionally everything seemed normal.
    I was just kidding. I saw the same Blue SE 4 door sedan (with) Power Moon Roof at the FT Lauderdale International Auto Show a few months ago. The Ford Factory Rep. said it was a pre-production vehicle N.A. version that was being taken to public viewings at lots of Auto Shows. Funny, several weeks later when they had the Huge Barrett-Jackson Auction & Auto Exhibit in West Palm Beach,FL they only had several of the European version Fiesta Hatchbacks for display and test drives. You would have thought that being close to production they would have brought a few N.A. version Fiesta`s there for viewing and driving. Go figure?
    I think a lot of those pre production versions were Euro cars with NA spec bumpers, interiors, lights and gas caps. At least according to one of the Fiesta Agents they were.

I believe the production line started running on Monday (26th). Prior to that a few cars were being built on the same line to work the kinks out of the system.
    Since my Fiesta will be a (late availability) build unit due to the Power Moon Roof I ordered, I hope that several months of cars coming down the assembly line will have removed some of the early kinks/glitches etc that almost all newly released vehicles have that need tweaking. Remember the launch of the Ford Escape? What a horror story! For the first month or so, there was so many Factory Service Recall Bulletins and Stop Sale Orders to dealerships it was embarrassing! I have never recalled such a botched up launch of any recent Ford product release. They even had a later JOB2 change that completely changed the steering column transmission shift lever handle. Hopefully the 2 previous years building the European version of the Fiesta will minimize the problems with the N.A. unit.
    Are you sure that was the Escape? Or are you thinking about the 2000 Focus?

Ford does 2 things now that prevent those types of early problems.

One - they inspect every vehicle off the line and hold production until the factory produces defect free vehicles for 5 consecutive days. Problem on day 4.5 - clock starts over at 0.

Two - they hold all of the early production vehicles until they have been inspected and repaired if necessary.

This can delay vehicle introduction but ensures a much higher quality level.
    I can confirm what you're saying. My Fiesta reservation consultant said the line needs to produce one week of "clean" vehicles before they can build customer ordered cars.
    It was the Escape! Far more problems at first release then the 2000 Focus. They had a nation-wide factory imposed DO NOT SELL Order the first 2 weeks they vehicles first hit the dealers lot! Gas line leaks problems, brakes issues, and a multitude of other major safety factors. The first few months of the Escapes introduction was a nightmare. Ask any Ford dealership salesperson or service department if they were working at a Ford Dealership then and they will concur. I`m sure they has the same DO NOT SELL or RELEASE on its sister vehicle the Mazda Tribute that was being built along side the Escape at the same Kansas City MO assembly plant.
    When did this happen?
    The first year introduction of the new 2001 Ford Escape occurred in late summer or early fall of 2000.
    So it was right on the heels of the 2000 Focus problems. These problems were the catalyst for Ford to change their quality control processes and vehicle launch process. They haven't had those types of problems in the last 5-6 years.
  • puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    Would this car compete with the Fiesta,if it had a 1.6L? I mean look what you get with a base Polo.Alot more than a Fiesta offers as standard available features. :confuse:
    Has VW announced pricing of the Polo? I couldn't find a list of standard features anywhere so it's kind of hard to compare.
    My thoughts exactly. Because of my long commute, the most important performance spec is mpg. If I can achieve low 40's, I'll be ecstatic. The absolute least important spec is 0-60. I have over 158,000 miles on my Protege5 and the number of times I've floored it can be counted on one hand (with fingers left over:D).
    Ford has all but confirmed future sport versions of both the Fiesta and Focus so they're on the way but as you said the focus right now (no pun intended) is fuel economy.

I expect the performance versions will be 3 door hatches also.
    edited May 2010
    go to new cars VW and scroll dn to Polo and you can get availables and there are no options . It has it all except for bluetooth and priced 3 k lower than a Fiesta with multi level heated seats and moonroof standard. I dunno if the engine was a 1.6L I'd be looking at it real hard. :shades:
    Looks like $16,200 is an estimated price by Edmunds. They say this also;

"Though body styles and trim levels that will be offered here have yet to be set, a 2011 Volkswagen Polo four-door hatchback will likely debut first, followed by a two-door version. "

That would tell me that the list of standard features are "available features", and not actually standard. You can't really have "trim levels" if everything is standard. ;) I guess you'll find out later this fall. I would expect it to be very competitive though and VW has a history of including lots of features in even their base models.
    I suspect you're right. Ford knows a lot of "can't wait" enthusiasts will buy the 2011 model and trade it in the very next year for the high performance model. It's just good marketing and every car maker does it.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Ford has all but confirmed future sport versions of both the Fiesta and Focus so they're on the way but as you said the focus right now (no pun intended) is fuel economy.

I expect the performance versions will be 3 door hatches also.

Yeah but with "PowerShift" (read: Automatic) transmissions. I think for the age group they are aimed at (who grew up on PS2 and can't drive a stick anyway), they will be very successful.
    No reason to believe they won't offer a true 6 spd manual on the performance vehicles. The powershift trans is built for fuel economy (dry clutch) and not high performance. Right now the powershift trans wouldn't handle the torque of a high performance engine anyway. So I'd expect a true manual for the hi-po versions.
    yup, but the 1.4 liter is a killer for Vw ,but they have a 1.4L in TDI for Polo we will never get the good stuff. Canada gets better imports than us.
  • audreyalityaudreyality Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2009
    "Yeah but with "PowerShift" (read: Automatic) transmissions. I think for the age group they are aimed at (who grew up on PS2 and can't drive a stick anyway), they will be very successful."

I'm 25 and very interested in the 2011 Fiesta. I never had a PS2, but I did have an original Nintendo and currently own a PS3. Also, I drive a 5-speed manual and learned to drive on a manual clutch. Many of my friends that are around my age also know how to drive a stick and enjoy video games, so please don't make assumptions.

I am excited to give this thing a test drive this summer. I am interested in it for it's body styling, American company origins (despite the fact they'll come from Mexico), technology features, pricing, and estimated MPG. Overall this car has a lot of nice qualities. Bundled with federal safety upgrades I think it has a lot of potential. :)
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I'm 25 and very interested in the 2011 Fiesta. I never had a PS2, but I did have an original Nintendo and currently own a PS3. Also, I drive a 5-speed manual and learned to drive on a manual clutch. Many of my friends that are around my age also know how to drive a stick and enjoy video games, so please don't make assumptions.

I didn't mean to slight you in the least. I also don't think you are in the majority; looking in aggregate, I don't think there is a lot of demand for the manual and a younger, technology driven demographic seems to like the DSG.

Also, why is the auto a6-speed but the manual is only a 5-speed? and why isn't the top gear deep enough to support the type of fuel economy people are looking for? If i need to pass a Ferrari going up a hill, I am okay downshifting; I like to shift, that's why I want a manual.

I am excited to give this thing a test drive this summer. I am interested in it for it's body styling, American company origins (despite the fact they'll come from Mexico), technology features, pricing, and estimated MPG. Overall this car has a lot of nice qualities. Bundled with federal safety upgrades I think it has a lot of potential.

I think its great Ford has a competitive package.
    So far, the only serious gripes that the auto pundits have complained about is the obvious (missing) front seat armrest! Stop the assembly lines and add this important comfort accessory. At the very least, make it available as an aftermarket bolt on that can be ordered through the dealers Parts Dept. Also, Ford should replace the HVAC knobs from the hard plastic to rubber covered knobs. Why go to the time and expense of making all the other surfaces (soft-touch) and have cheap hard plastic on the control knobs? That switch can be done as soon as the new knobs arrive.
    I saw something that referenced an armrest but I don't remember where. I do remember thinking that this would resolve those complaints.
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    So far, the only serious gripes that the auto pundits have complained about is the obvious (missing) front seat armrest!

Sorry, but the word "serious" in this context is, in my opinion, rather over the top. It's a potential comfort accessory, i.e. could be a "nice to have" not a becessity on a car of this size/class. Not covering the HVAC controls in soft-touch material is a silly oversight but hardly a deal breaker (?). They have to keep some things back for 2012, along with the 6-spd manual. :) Be thankful they've kept it fairly true to it's European design origins and not "Americanised" it to within an inch of its life.

On the other hand, if you're being ironic - that's fine.
    edited May 2010
    Actually, the whole "soft touch" dashboard has me laughing. I can't figure out why a dashboard being soft is desirable. It's not safety related because that's why we have seatbelts and air bags. The only time I ever touch my dash is when I'm cleaning it. My P5 has a "hard touch" dash and it looks great. No need to touch it. :P

I'm going to make a center armrest for my Fiesta. Just enough to rest my elbow on. That's where "soft touch" is nice - on the armrests.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    It's probably for: 1) appearance (soft touch plastic usually looks better than hard, although carmakers are getting better on that), and 2) soft touch tends to scratch less easily (some hard-touch plastics in cars are notorious for showing scratches).
    "I didn't mean to slight you in the least. I also don't think you are in the majority; looking in aggregate, I don't think there is a lot of demand for the manual and a younger, technology driven demographic seems to like the DSG."

A majority of people I know in the 23-30 age group know how to drive a manual transmission. This group of people represents many lifestyles of friends, family, co-workers, and acquaintances. Knowing how to drive a manual is still regarded as an important driving skill. However, only a small percentage prefer a manual. Not everyone cares about that flexibility it offers. This regard or disregard to a manual transmission is true across many age groups, looking in aggregate. Enjoying convenience is not the same as being lazy or inept (which you implied by the "PS2 generation" reference previously). I do not feel slighted at all since you don't personally know me, but I do feel that you're making untrue assumptions. I hope my testimony and clarifications here help rectify the issue.

As for arm rests and soft touch dashboards: I've never had a car with front seat arm rests, but I've only had cars in the below $20,000 range. For me it's not really a selling point. I think that lower priced cars don't bother with that sort of thing and it could be a space saver. The soft touch dash is a little pointless, but backy makes a good point about the scratch tolerance.
    I agree, I did`nt claim either of those issue I commented on were "deal breakers". I have ordered my Fiesta 5 door hatchback SE back in Mar and await its arrival. Needless to say, both of those items could be addressed quickly and rather painlessly without making it a 2012 model year upgrade.
    edited May 2010
    OEM QUALITY ARMREST ACCESSORY FOR 2011 FORD FIESTA

"Specialty automotive accessory manufacturer Boomerang Enterprises, Inc, has developed and launched a premium armrest accessory for the North American version of the Ford Fiesta that seamlessly integrates to the vehicle’s interior."

I am not interested in this, but I've seen the demand for it here.
  • rebel71rebel71 Member Posts: 87
    I'm wondering when the Fiesta is coming out? Does anyone have concerns about production issues regarding first year model car? The other thing I'm not sure of is the rear drum brakes. I had them on a previous vehicle and wasn't impressed w/ braking performance. Would this be a deal breaker for anyone? I'm a bit spoiled since having four wheel disc. I like all the other things about it though and seems Ford spent a lot of time on design and performance. Hmm... a lot to think about.
    They should start showing up any day now. Don't worry about the drum brakes - they won't affect stopping power on such a small econobox. Most of the stopping is done with the fronts anyway. And they've been building the Fiesta overseas for at least a year. Ford has had a few engineering issues with new models but they've been diligent about fixing them and none are long term issues, just a minor inconvenience. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new Fiesta.
    I agree, with a light weight vehicle like the Fiesta, rear drum brakes will be more then adequate. I just replaced front disk pads on my 06` Kia Rio5 SX 5 door hatchback, a similar size vehicle with 54K mileage and there was still pad life left. Rear brakes shoes had 50% material still remaining. When will they start production of the ordered Fiesta`s with the Power Moon Roof? July or August?
    I saw some people with moonroofs had their cars scheduled for build late in June. Expect a July delivery based on that. On a personal note, I just found out my Fiesta is coming down the assembly line at this very moment. :)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    I do not feel slighted at all since you don't personally know me, but I do feel that you're making untrue assumptions. I hope my testimony and clarifications here help rectify the issue.

You really just need to get over it. You probably run with a lot of "gearheads" and I don't mean that derogatorily. I look at all the younger generation(s) in my family and the vast majority of boys and girls don't know how to drive a stick. The few that do would say the same thing you're saying, "all my friends know how to drive a stick". But that is based on a very small sample. Since only about 10%(WAG) of cars sold in the US are stick just where do you think all these youngin's even find one to learn on?