Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fiesta

Comments

• puffin1puffin1 Member Posts: 276
    I can't post on here w/o my mouse cursor turning into a compass rose .I wrote ED but 2 no avail norton says it's the site sory fr the spelling.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    I'm very happy that you like your VW.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    edited February 2011
    Compare the Focus and Fiesta and VW (except forTDI).Then tell me what's the drivers car?

Focus III
    "As you’d expect, the Ford’s chassis shines the brightest. The electrically assisted steering is beautifully weighted and responds instantly, while the torque vectoring system ensures strong front-end grip. But it’s the poise and balance that really impress, allowing the car to flow through corners. Adding to its appeal are a precise gearshift and progressive brakes. Only the unyielding low-speed ride of the sporty Zetec disappoints."

Golf VI
    "The lowered sports suspension is designed to boost efficiency, and affects comfort, as the BlueMotion doesn’t ride with the smoothness and fluency of ordinary models. If anything, though, it’s more compliant than the stiff set-up of the Focus Zetec at low speeds.

Up the pace and the VW trails – the Ford rides well at higher speeds and is more capable and enjoyable to drive. The Golf is safe and sure-footed, but doesn’t have the Focus’ dynamic polish or feedback.

While the major controls are well weighted, they all feel a bit more detached than in the blue oval model. However, in everyday driving, the differences are small, and the Golf is more capable and rewarding than the lacklustre Vauxhall.
    "

New Vauxhall Astra (Chevy Cruze equivalent)
    "Although the steering is positive and precise, there’s a disconcerting lack of feedback through the rim.

Grip is plentiful, but the chassis cannot match the agility, responsiveness and poise of the Focus, and the Golf feels more composed. As a result, it rarely inspires the confidence or pure ‘drive me’ enthusiasm of its rivals.

It’s not all bad news, though, as the supple suspension delivers a comfortable ride and, aside from a fraction more wind noise than the Focus at motorway speeds, refinement is impressive.
    "

The Golf maybe be better overall, but as the driver's car?
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/262162/new_ford_focus_vs_riva- - ls.html
    Nice post and no buts about about it.
    I go on AE alot and alot of posters were upset that the VW got chosen for best in its class.(family car I think) Some complained that the Fiesta , or Focus wasn't included.
    We have a RWD BMW and an IS lexus and 101 inches of snow so far and temps like to day 12 degrees . So I bought the VW as a winter beater.We are lucky to put 4500 to 6k on it.Also, the multi level heated seats. I was looking for a 2.0 HB just for Home Depot etc:I couln't find a 2.3L 2009 Mazda s HB GT anywhere.(they are losy in snow and the VW is nose heavy they say.)
    I've been on here 15 yrs but, my profile doesn'nt show it.
    Himmler and I use just motor mouth about our Integs. I had a GS, GSR every 2 years. Then I was forced into a RSX Types S . Those Acuras were the best for the money. The gearing and high end torgue was perfect.I did try a Mazda speed but, not practical in -minus 10degee weather going over Teton Pass or up to Sugarloaf in Maine where there is frost on the inside hinges of your camp at night.This last week average 18 degrees.
    Four years ago I think ,Saturn carried the Astra, I like the 3 dr, it had heated seats ,but no moonroof.You had to buy the four door it had a moonroof but no heated seat and onlt a 1.6 I think.
    Well, thanks for the reply and maybe my next winter beater will be a Hyundai,as they seem to be beefing up their engines. I think the Elantra is up from 138 HP to 148 HP and gets 40 MPG the 2012.The Touring Elantra, it, has nice lines. I think don't quote me. Have a good one.
    edited February 2011
    It's annoying enough to switch tires b/t summer & winter, let alone switching cars.

My brother in Chicago ended up owning two E46 AWD, which also have the new-for-2002 hill descend control. Its AWD suspension is 1cm taller for superb ride comfort, plus the pure-hydraulic assist gives you meaty steering feel better than any of these electric-steering Fiesta, Focus III or Golf VI. Why not get an used 2006 E46 330xi? Its torquy 3.0 is more frugal than its own 2.5 & the std huge brake discs still allow one type of 16" rim from Tire Rack. Luxury features? How about height-adjustable pwr lumbar support? Its compact exterior is comparable to the Fiesta sedan!
    edited February 2011
    You are right . I think the E 46 came out in 2005 or 06 and now a good used one would be about 24K not sure. A 330XI AWD that is..I put 16"tires and rims on VW and was sweating the TPMS would work as it's a costly fix and it's needed for state inspection.It's too low and this Year I could of used studded tires.
    I have been looking @ a Susuki AWD as it has a timing chain and I hope to get the car situation straightened out before next winter.
    This 2.5L VW burns gas also, when the heater is crankin' and your driving up the mtn acess rd. I was down in Riodosa, New Mexico and had to rent tire chains off the Indian kids to get up the switchbacks that got me to the base lodge.
    It must be nice to live in CA you can wash your wheels and keep a car mint.We have sodium chloride ,sand and rock salt.
    edited February 2011
    My mistake, I was gonna say, "Why not get an used 2005 E46 330xi?"

The E46 is from '99 to '05.

The E90/92 started in '06, which has mandatory RFT in this country. My BMW mechanic leased one, but kept the RFT in his garage until the lease return. He put on traditional wheels/tires for more enjoyment, but only carrys a temporary spare in the trunk during long trips.

I live in S California, & collected a '99 E36 coupe 2.8. That steering has good-level of feel, but the ratio was so annoyingly slow that I had to replace it w/ the quick rack from the 4-cyl Z3. & after I added the Torsen rear differential, I only have to figure out which tires drift better w/o loud screaming to attract cops.
    edited February 2011
    By the way, if you don't mind having stiffer ride than the GTI, the 4-cyl AWD Golf VI is coming in 2012, but w/o the DSG option.

This car may sound like just an AWD A3 w/ more interior room, but w/ the new rally-style stability program... :shades:
    "Clearly, no one is disputing the safety benefits of stability control so as you would expect the system is unchanged in its default setting. However, on the right road or on track, the racy Volkswagens now allow you to turn off the electronic assistance in two stages. Stage one shuts off the traction control, but retains the skid preventing stability element.

Hold the button down for three seconds and this is disabled as well. Previously, enthusiastic drivers who took their Volkswagens up to the grip limit would have felt the stability control applying the brakes to control any slide, but now the chassis is being given the freedom to engage a bit more.

The revised system allows for the car to move about and give a more a natural feedback, any counter steering or throttle modulation won’t rearm the stability control, however if you touch the brake whilst the car is under load the system will then intervene.

In snowy conditions of our artic test, the revisions meant that in the four-wheel drive Golf R you could feel the drivetrain transferring power from the front to rear axle in response to grip level and driver inputs more than you could with the old system. This purer driving experience adds some appeal to VW’s flagship performance car.

It also allows the car to be used for driver training, with the person at the wheel able to learn what causes, and how to correct, understeer and oversteer. Volkswagen has no plans to offer this system on mainstream models, but by offering it on the cars likely to appeal to enthusiasts it has added an extra level of credibility and desirability to its sporty offerings.
    "
    edited February 2011
    2012 is going to be a big year for changes, I read the artilcle in AE and maybe the Scirocco will get AWD.. The WRX is big out west in ski country. The thin air I guess, plus not being naturally aspirated.
    I really thought we were running out of fun cars here. Remember " The Fast and Furious" flicks ? Those cars were built to be tricked out.
    2012 will be a renaissance for cars. I just hope they don't keep the fun cars in the UK and the rest of europe.
    Now, I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get Pandora Radio in my car. I wiil say Ford was on the job doing Sync with Microsoft. I think I can do it through the bluetooth.When I get back maybe the wife's Lexus has a radio jack,my car is in storage but the car has an Alpine radio with a jack for a cell.
    edited February 2011
    You know, I own 4 manual cars in CA & am already tired of stereo upgrade on every car. In fact, I didn't even put any in my Mk1 Jetta Wolfsburg coupe.

Like the A3, the Scirocco is just a more cramped but pricier GTI. Further more, its less competent/composed than the MkVI GTI. But this might actually make it more exciting. As the GTI may have the extra competence, "it’s also frustrating knowing how hard you have to drive it to have fun."

That's why I am against choosing stiffer set up than the already capable std Rabbit/Golf, including the firm-riding diesel model. CR also pointed out the non-turbo 5-cyl Golf hatch/wagon imported from Germany as the only reliable VW!

Unlike the Mk1, the current Scirocco, with its Control Blade multi-links from the Focus, looks like a an updated version of the full double-wishbone '92-95 Civic hatch.

While the current Civic hatch (Euro model, see picture: 1, 2, 3.) looks like an updated version of the Scirocco (I: 1, 2, 3. II: 1, 2.)/Corrado from the early days, & even followed the "front strut/rear torsion" primitive/cheaper suspension!

That's why I ended up collecting the latest full double-wishbone Civic -- a 2000 hatch -- for driving in a crowded city overseas w/ its "decent ride/handling compromise" complicated suspension all wrapped up w/in a compact exterior.
    edited February 2011
    I read some where that KIA has come out with a mulitilink suspension on it's Optima.Ya, this torsion beam thing gets old after a while.I'll pay more for comfortable ride.
    I'm really going to check out a muli link . They put t beams in to cut cost.It's too bad you have to spend over 30 k to get the color seats you want, or a dead pedal.Then instead of real capet they give you capeted floor mats over felt.
    I thought Toyota use to nickle and dime you. Check out Mazda they are worse.
    That what I bought was the 2.5 170 Base VW 5 spd. I almost got the diesal,but some say the fuel pumps go and ruin the engine and VW is blaming it on the owner.They claim the diesal over here isn;t that clean ,or the owners are using flex fuels?
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited February 2011
    2012 Ford Focus ST

I wonder if Ford charges extra for that shiny gold color. This pup is kind of cool looking...I've been tinkerin' with getting a new Ford Fiesta for about 2013 but with this babe looking like it is I may look at one of these or even a C-Max. Comes complete with the hi-performance, low-profile radials and stiff...or is it stiff-feeling suspension? Ehh? May need ta test drive one of these Goldfingers.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Seph, is that HB coming over here.I don't go for the gold and black wheels,but whatever turns you on.
    I think people shopping Fiesta should wait for the Focus before deciding. What I mean is how far away from each other in price are they? :shades: Hey ,they charge more for candy apple red.
    edited February 2011
    no, you fully caught my drift, man. I will look closer at one of these Focus ST's and I am going to need this Goldfinger color, too! Wow! Looks great.

Yeah, the Focus hatch is coming for 2012. They called it a Focus 5 in the online mag I got with my Google. And you're right, Ford is either gonna have to lower Fiesta prices or people like I are going to just wait for a 2012 Focus. Because 2012 Focus pricing is coming in at about $16,400-$18,700, this ST could grab more like $25,000 though, if my eyes were focusing right in Coeur d'Alene Saturday night. Doesn't even start to dismay me. This Focus ST is now sitting squarely in my sights...but not until about mid 2013 or so. My '08 Lancer GTS will be fully paid off then and I will know more about the cars coming out between now and then.

This car looks great to me, though, and there is a Ford dealer in Coeur d' Alene, that being Lake City Ford. :) It's Ford's 2012 Focus ST in Goldfinger to lose to Mitsubishi's 2013 Lancer GTS or Hybrid GTS.

The Foci will be priced about $3k higher than a comparable Fiesta.
    hope the seats fold flat :shades:
    I don't think they do. Kind of strange that Ford ignores that. On the Fiesta the bottom seat cushion pulls out easily and the back will lay flat but there is still a couple inch step between the hatch floor and the seat back.
    What's the difference from curb weight and standard weight? If a SES Fiesta is loaded it's about 21k. I don't know what's coming on the Focus but, I want a six speed with some you know what for 3k more. :shades:
    Thanks, I came out with $24,450.00 for SEL moonroof, winter pkg. and a pkg of $1365.00 (haveto check mpkg out they picked for me, hope it's sync.w/ no nav)
    I have to go back and check it out.A Focus has good resale anyways, the HB's do. I found a 2007 Z3 and it was 10 k I think.Why ford did away with the Hatch is beyond my knowlege.
    I'd rather have a six speed. Is the auto a DSG?What's a GDI engine ,direct fuel injection?I thought the Fiesta was having some problems with its DSG trannies.
    The Focus is direct injection. Not sure what GDI means. The auto tranny in the Focus is a DSG (dual clutch) and will have paddle shifters.

The problem with some of the shifting in the Fiestas is actually a bad electrical ground on some of the cars and there is a TSB to be performed if folks report a problem. They basically clean up the two bad grounds and reflash the transmission and all is well.
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    I believe that GDI, on the Fiesta, stands for Gasoline Direct Injection. Cannot understand why it's not a hatchback.............that's the only flavour here in Europe. As for the grille, (earlier posts), here in Europe is has a broad horizontal black plastic bar across the grille at it's widest point. This affords some minor-shunt protection and provides a mounting place for the EU-mandatory front licence plate. It also helps to break up that child-eating maw; giving the impression of upper- and lower-grilles.

Over here it comes with a choice of 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 gassers and 1.4 and 1.6 diesels and, as far as I know, an Auto 'box is only available as a cost-option, on the 1.4 gassers. All variants come as either 3- or 5-door hatches.

It is a good car, but not the best in class - in Europe.

Focus is also well liked and comes with a choice of 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 and 2.5 gassers, (the latter in ST or RS versions with 222 and 300bhp respectively), and 1.6 and 2.0 diesels. The 2.5's are all 3-door hatches and the others are predominantly 5-door with a smattering of 3-doors................or there is the "Estate", (wagon), variant with 5-doors and all but the 2.5 engines. Previous incarnations did include a 4-door saloon but, as it was about as popular as gout, it was quietly dropped some years ago. In a very crowded, and talented, sector neither the Fiesta nor the Focus are great at holding their used value.
    We do have the hatchback Fiesta and the 2012 Focus will also have a hatch. He was refering to the outgoing crappy Focus. The Fiesta does not have direct injection here in the states.
    that's OK, since I'm a big Kia fan, I'm used to buying cars that don't hold their value much. :P

I like a Kia Soul especially when Michele Wie is driving it.
    However, the milage sucks and the torsion beam is a back breaker. :shades:
    possibly the next Forte, looks like the taillights are designed by the same person who did the Focus III sedan. The car looks quite gorgeous, though.
    then I'll be waiting ta see the new world order Kia Forte with much baited breath.

edited February 2011
    I know the Fiesta is made in Mexico and the Hankook tires come from China( that I couldn't believe)
    The dealer called to say my car needed service. I called back and said it only has 5k on it. However,It didn't do any good regardless Of Syntetic#1. While I was at the shop, I saw a set of 10 spoke wheels alloys with Hankook tires with the sticky tags on them.They wanted $800.00 wheels and tires. They said the buyer didn't want them.So I haggled and bought them.
    I went to a tire shop and bought some Continentals. Well, the salesman said he'd buy the Hankooks for $400.00 did I screw up? He said they were great tires.
    All the time I was doing this I had a Fiesta SES DSG for a loaner and what a job it was to get the 4 mounted tires in it.The MSRP was $2080.00 and it was candy apple red with painted alloys. What are painted alloys?They wanted my car for a trade.No way Hose. I said, maybe next year I'll trade for a Focus .I mean the Fiesta drove nicely, but for the money no grab bar, lumbar or an armrest and I think only the drivers seat was heated and not up your back.The sales man said he could send the Fiesta out for $500.00 more and install what I wanted.
    here's some stuff about painted alloys.

Mag wheels are automotive wheels built using a magnesium alloy that leaves the wheels lighter than other types while retaining strength throughout the wheel body. Due to the look of most mag wheels, they've gained popularity as aftermarket car add-ons, purchased primarily for the wheel appearance alone. To increase the visual impact of mag wheels, many owners have the wheels painted to complement the vehicle color. This can be an expensive process when done professionally, but you can do it yourself if you're willing to tackle the project. The paint and accessories are all available at any well-stocked auto supply store and, while the painting process can be time consuming, it's simple enough that even a beginner can complete it successfully.

Read more: How to Paint Mag Wheels | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6931469_paint-mag-wheels.html#ixzz1ESm3GJf2

in the case of Ford producing painted alloys, I would look realistically at that with the realization that a factory production painted alloy is not going to be too over-done. And, Ford must make money selling them. So there you go. Having said that, the latest painted alloys coming from Ford look really good to me and by no means would they need to be improved upon. There's always a "grassroots" group of guys that always have to change the vehicle they own in some way, however miniscule that might be, they just have to change it somehow.

Kind of like putting their brand on it. To me it is entirely unnecessary and costly to boot.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Painting wheels is the cheap way out, since it looks like junk and lasts like it as well. The proper and much more expensive way to do it is to anodize or acid-treat the aluminum alloy.
    Painting wheels is the cheap way out, since it looks like junk and lasts like it as well. The proper and much more expensive way to do it is to anodize or acid-treat the aluminum alloy.

Are you saying that Ford's "painted alloys" on their Fiesta's and Focii would starting looking backyard garage sale-ish in overly salty climes after say 4 years or so? Or words to that effect?

edited February 2011

more than likely painted alloys fresh from Fo-Mo-Co are shown on this 2012 Ford Focus sedan straight-from-the-factory? I'd say they probably are. If they wear sooner than usual that might be a concern but the inland Pacific Northwest (the Idaho Panhandle where I live) is not particularly rough on car paint. Wet and snowy and icy, though people throw generous amounts of rock salt down because of long winters here.

I would think a person if concerned could stave off early "painted alloy wear down" concerns by applying a wax of some sort to their Fo-Mo-Co (or Chrysler and Chevy, insert brand name here) alloys or painted alloys, whatever iteration alloy they receive.

Still, paint on top of aluminum is going to fade and eventually flake off.

You have to re-paint every few years and that's a time consuming process.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Aluminum body panels are painted and they don't have to be repainted every few years. If they are painted then they're also clear coated.
    the painted alloys from Ford are not done up to the extent that the paint will flake off. Their process is "cheaper" if you will, but sufficient for the average car buyer.

Translation: the 2013 Ford Focus wheels I get if I buy a '13 Focus will do me fine. But I might buy some wheel protectant and keep them sponged and whisked clean every 6 months or so, just to be sure. My '08 Lancer GTS wheels are still looking pretty good...but I baby them, too. ;)

• dubc73dubc73 Member Posts: 1
    Who in their right mind would pay 18K for a fiesta? There are so many other cars that you can get for that price or cheaper. Ford is trying to sell all the bells and whistles the car has. The car itself is not worth the money. Especially with Fords reputation on lower end cars. Sorry, I don't believe all the hype.
    My Fiesta is great. It's quieter than most cars that cost $30k or even $40k. Outhandles any other small car in its class (almost handles as well as a Mini). Has more luxury features than any other car in its class and I'm averaging 41 mpg on every tank.

I guess if your definition of "reality" is "hype", then yeah, sure, it's all hype. (rolls eyes)
    What really makes me cringe is to compare a new Fiesta, which is small, flimsy (feels economy to the touch), and full of plastic to something like a used TSX.

Economy cars are supposed to be, well, economical. Pushing nearly $20K for a car that's not even half what even a $27-30K Camry is (let alone something much nicer), is almost criminal.
  • sanfrandansanfrandan Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2011
    Three months, 4100 miles, about 32 mpg crawling around San Francisco's hills. Just this morning, i was amazed to find I could fit my big mountain bike inside.

Strong points:
    Quiet - way quieter than the competition
    Comfortable seats.
    Nice handling.
    Super easy to park.
    I can get 50mpg+ cruising along a flat highway at 60mph. Sadly, most of my driving is in congested hilly terrain.
    It's a snazzy looking car.

I love the stereo. I picked up a usb drive for $45 and it holds 32gigs of music. Most of what's on there is my daughter's terrible crap, but still, my good stuff all fits, too. Because the car is very quiet for a compact, music with dynamics (jazz and classical) can actually be enjoyed. In my wife's Civic, it's gotta be rock or pop, because soft passages are lost to road noise.

Weak points:

Sync is amusingly hit-and-miss at speech recognition, and it's weak that you have to exactly match the name when calling for an artist or song name. Calling out for "Tommy Dorsey" doesn't help if the artist is listed at Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey.

The auto transmission has rough transitions sometimes.

Back seat: I gaze with envy upon Honda Fit owner's back seats.... Why can't Ford's fold flat?

Sun Visor: The sun visor is too short. It should have a slide-out so it reaches back to the B pillar when moved to the side.

I don't much like the upholstery. I wish they had the leather seats available with the SFE package.

The miles-to-empty gauge goes from 20 to 0 miles in about 5 miles. It's very consistent in it's error, so I can plan by it, but it's annoying all the same.
    My Fiesta is great. It's quieter than most cars that cost $30k or even $40k. Outhandles any other small car in its class (almost handles as well as a Mini). Has more luxury features than any other car in its class and I'm averaging 41 mpg on every tank.

Is your new Ford Fiesta manual transmission or automatic?

It's the auto. The dual clutch Powershift is geared for mpg more so than the the manual. On the Fiesta forum where I contribute, we have 3 people who have gotten 50 mpg or more on a tank. One hypermiler has cleared 50 mpg on 6 tanks in a row.

I'm closing in on 43 mpg on my current tank. I live in a very hilly area so I don't think I'll ever see 50 mpg myself.

With my last car, a Mazda Protege5, I was excited whenever I could get 30 mpg. Ha! ;) And conseidering I paid almost exactly $4000 less for the Fiesta, I'm really liking this car. :)
    Note - that's U.K. MPG.
  • dprivendpriven Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know the top speed of a Fiesta? On a closed, private track where it was legal to do so, I got mine to 100mph and it was smooth and happy at that speed, but my brother was with me and he would have decked me if I'd gone any faster.

Thanks.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    I'd say 100mph.

Did you have helmets?

The suspension seemed to have a lot of travel...I wouldn't want to do more than 100mph and have to swerve for any reason.

Youtube is full of cars getting out of control after a little bump...sport cars too.

I remember a dozen years ago taking an Opel (don't remember which) 1.6l to 120ish on the Autobahn...but it was straight and flat...I'm assuming this private track isn't a long runway.
    of the 2011 Ford Fiesta from Motorweek. It's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCQATEOrxU&feature=player_detailpage

• appingaappinga Member Posts: 30
    I rented a Fiesta this past summer while I was in Germany. I drove from Erlangen (near Nuremburg) to the Munich airport in the early morning to catch my flight back to the US. I was able to get the Fiesta to 200kph on a downhill slope (probably with some wind) which is about 125mph. Most of the drive I was comfortably doing 180kph which is just over 110mph.
  • ironroad99ironroad99 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased 2012 ford fiesta se hatch 5 speed (manual) 1 month ago, have really annoying "gear whine" in 5th gear, really dissapointing. Does anybody else have this problem. Thanks.