Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Fiesta

1789101113»

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    any sort of performance decline when you're hearing this 5th fear "whining", I wonder?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ironroad99ironroad99 Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2011
    No performance decline at all, except for the "whine" the car's performance, handling and comfort are better than expected. The best way I can describe the "whine" is at 65-70 mph the "whine" is louder than the engine and tire noise. My dealer agrees the "whine" is not acceptible and I'm working with them on what the options are, I'll update my post when I know more.
  • cci_nscci_ns Member Posts: 2
    Similar problem on my new 2011 Fiesta 5-Spd SE (6000km) the whine was in 3rd gear. Dealer carried out repairs on warranty now ok. I believe they swapped a gear cluster.
    My dealer is going to have one of their mechanics look at my car and confirm the problem this week but from their first look and an independent look I had done it seems pretty certain it's "gear whine" in 5th gear. Their first thought is they'll have to replace a gear cluster as you're saying. I'm planning on asking them to push Ford to authorize replacing the transmission because there seems to be a pretty big downside to tearing apart the transmission. My dealer isn't confident Ford will go for that and will probably only want to replace the gear cluster. I'd be interested in your thoughts and how extensive of repair was replacing your gear cluster. Thanks.
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Probably just a poorly hardened gear. Replacing gear clusters is no big deal. You have nothing to worry about.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    Actually, getting a specific part replaced is rare these days. You definitely do want them to replace the gear cluster as opposed to getting a new unit with some other defect in it. Once it's changed, it should be fine.

Also, is this car manual? If so, you need to be sure to keep the revs under 3K for the first thousand miles and change the oil at 1K miles as the new gears will create lots of grit and metal dust that gets into the oil as they break in. After that, change the gear oil at 6 months and then forget about it. Since automatics don't make gear-to-gear contact in the same way, just forget about it and drive it - it'll be fine.
    To update my original post, I've talked to my selling dealer numerous times and a 2nd dealer in my area and they've talked to Ford, both dealers have been concerned and responsive and for the most part so has Ford. The agreed upon and I think best plan is to drive a couple more thousand miles to 5,000 and see as the gear "wears in" if the "whine" goes away or is minimized. If not, the best option seems to be to replace 5th gear and not the entire transmission. I'll update my post. Thanks.
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I would like to buy a set of winter mats for my 2012 5 speed manual Fiesta. So far I have found some sets on eBay OEM part #BE8Z-5413300-AB for $73.00 and My Ford dealer sent me a price of $91.43 but no part number. Has anyone bought a set yet for your Fiesta?
    Yes. I bought a set on sale for $5 dollars at Menards. And then got a $5 dollar rebate. So, the cost of a postage stamp. ;)
    When I am going 70MPH my tach is at 3000 or just a hair over. Can someone with the 6 speed auto tell me what their tach reads at 70MPH? Just wondering
    "The miles-to-empty gauge goes from 20 to 0 miles in about 5 miles. It's very consistent in it's error, so I can plan by it, but it's annoying all the same"

You do realize that at 20 miles to empty means that you have about a half gallon of gas left in your tank sloshing around. So drive 5 more miles and then go up and down hills and I guess it would read empty. I think Hummers are more accurate because when they say 20 miles left you still have 3 gallons left :blush:
    About 2600 to 2700 rpm with the speedometer reading 70 mph. Our speedometers read high though. 70 is actually about 65 to 66 mph.
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    As with all such devices it's an "Indicator" not an accurate gauge; same as a traditional analogue fuel gauge. With 20 miles to empty displayed an ascent or descent of a long steep hill could put you into an apparent run-out situation, even though there's maybe half a gallon still in the tank.

Half a gallon ! Come on guys, get sensible. Use the technology for it's intended purpose - an early warning device - not an absolute measuring device. If it annoys you, turn it off, (presumably you can on a Fiesta ? You certainly can on my Volvo).
    Wow that's a big difference. My 5 speed manual is at 3000 at the speedometer's 70MPH. I am getting 38 MPG this tank so I bet the auto trans can get in the 40s
    Or how about fill up with 50 miles left in the tank. I would be a nervous wreck if I took it down to 20 miles left.
  • ahmadrahmadr Member Posts: 4
    You can find them cheaper. Google this (in quotations) ;)

"OEM and Ford Racing parts-employee pricing"
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Did you recently purchase a compact or subcompact at least in part because it had very good fuel efficiency as gas prices continue to climb? A reporter is interested in speaking with you. Please send a brief description of your experience and contact information to [email protected] by Wednesday, February 29, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter is looking to hear from a driver of a Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta, Chevy Cruze or Chevy Sonic who previously drove a compact from a Japanese automaker, such as the Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic. If you currently drive a Focus, Fiesta, Cruze or Sonic, and are willing to share your story with a reporter, please email [email protected] no later than the end of business Tuesday, March 6, 2012 with your daytime contact information.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    edited June 2013
    the new Scion FR-S RWD sports car and the new Ford Fiesta ST not out yet. It is an interesting watch. Both cars performed well for how they were made, there's going to be obvious differences in handling between the two and the driver discusses them openly during the video.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/26/ford-fiesta-st-in-startling-track-battle-agai- - nst-toyota-gt86/

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• ronastooronastoo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2013 Fiesta Titanium with an Intelligent Access Key. The Fiesta Quick Reference guide (on page 10 under the heading "Intelligent Access Key") says "To unlock the driver's door, pull the front exterior door handle." I pull the door handle and the door doesn't open. If I push the sensor button on the handle ALL the doors unlock. (I read the entire manual also. Unlocking the doors is references in two places in the Owner's Manual.) I've talked to the dealer, I've talked to the Customer Service representative at Ford. They both say that my car is working correctly and that I have to touch the sensor to unlock the door. Is the guide wrong? It would be very convenient to be able to pull on the handle to open the door without trying to find the very tiny sensor in the dark. I'd love to hear from anyone else that has this model to see if they have the same problem that I have with the door.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Yep, you have to push the little button (sensor?) to unlock. I'm encouraged to hear that your driver door unlocks all doors. My 2011 does not, and it is downright infuriating, especially since there is only one door lock switch inside the car (in the center of the dash, of all places)! Funny enough, unlocking from the passenger side unlocks all doors. /facepalm
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • jwh14580jwh14580 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2012, and you do have to push the button for access. However the owners manual (page 139 under "Unlocking the doors/two-stage unlock" describes to set all doors unlock or drivers first, then all others. I haven't checked, but it would make sense to me that if you went with the fob to the passenger door all doors would unlock
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Follow the owner's manual instructions for disabling two-stage unlock (or enabling one-stage unlock).
    I have looked through that whole book and didn't see anything on this topic, but did fine instructions related to making the car stop locking the doors any time it was moved. I'll look through it again, though, as I would love to have the driver door work conveniently.

None of this would be an issue if Ford would put real door lock switches on the doors, but they decided cheaping out and putting a button in the middle of the dash was the way to go.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    It's right there on page 140:

Two-stage unlock disable
    Disabling two-stage unlock allows all vehicle doors to unlock
    simultaneously.
    Two-stage unlocking may be disabled or re-enabled by simultaneously
    pressing the and controls on the transmitter for three seconds.
    The park lamps will illuminate twice to indicate that two-stage unlock
    was enabled or disabled.
    Ah, thank you for your insistence!

My owner manual (2011) is slightly different, having this information on page 142. That aside, this toggle you cited above is presented in the manual from the context of the remote entry feature (the FOB / intelligent access key). It does not discuss this from the perspective of the door button at all.

Since the door button doesn't have a two-stage feature (e.g., press the door button twice w/in three seconds results in unlocking the driver door, then locking all doors), I did not connect the two (two-stage on the remote vs. functioning of the door button) in any way. So, while my doubt-meter was pointing toward high as I attempted this toggle, when the remotes' two-stage is toggled off (allowing one press of the remote to unlock all doors), the door button also unlocks all the doors simultaneously from the driver door button!

I'm thrilled! Thank you so much for your help. :)
    You're welcome. It doesn't matter how you do the unlocking - with the fob or by touch with IA - the result is the same. But I can see why you were confused.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2012-14 Ford Fiesta, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email [email protected] no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

What's the significance of 12? Happily, I have an 11, so I don't have to feel guilty for skipping out. :P
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

If you are a parent of young children (at least one under 12 years old) who owns a 2012-14 Ford Fiesta, a reporter would like for you to fill out a survey, due by December 13, 2013, for use in a print publication. Please email [email protected] no later than Wednesday, December 11, for a copy of the survey.