Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 Ford Freestyle Low Oil Pressure Problem

rhondakrhondak Member Posts: 1
Recently my 2005 Ford Freestyle (38k miles) has been starting rough in cold weather. The oil pressure low light comes on for about 5 seconds, then it stops and idles fine. What could be wrong?

Comments

• barnstormer64barnstormer64 Member Posts: 1,106
    Mine comes on occasionally when I start, but it's only for about 1/2 second.

Are you using synthetic oil? That's what I use, and I'm wondering if that's the cause of it.

I'm assuming your oil level is OK?
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    (It has nothing to do with synthetic oil.) The answer is in TSB 06-20-7, something that other people on these forums have encountered. Take the info below to your Ford dealer. Note, if your original 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty is over, then this can be fixed for free under the EPA Emissions Warranty. Ask the Ford dealer about that warranty, and if they still want to charge you, then contact the EPA, since by law they are supposed to fix it free.

TSB
    06-20-7 LONG CRANKING TIME OR NO START ON INITIAL START ATTEMPT - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 6/6/2006

Publication Date: September 29, 2006

FORD: 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle
    MERCURY: 2005-2007 Montego

ISSUE:
    Some 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, and Montego vehicles built on or before 6/6/2006 may exhibit a long cranking time or a possible no-start on initial start attempt. This symptom may also be accompanied by the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0300, P0316, P2107, and P2110. If the vehicle exhibits the long crank / no start issue, reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM). If the vehicle just exhibits these DTCs without the long crank / no start symptom follow normal Powertrain Controls/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual diagnostics instead of this TSB.

ACTION:
    Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 44.24 and higher or 45.3 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2006.9 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
    Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
    062007A 2005-2007 Five Hundred, Freestyle, Montego: Check For Diagnostic Trouble Codes And Reprogram The Powertrain Control Module (Do Not Use With 12650D) 0.4 Hr.
  • polo3polo3 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my '05 freestyle. My mechanic wanted to change the ignition coils. At >$100 each X6 + rotating the engine to get to the back ones, this was going to e a big job. Needless to say I saw your post and had the dealer calibrate my PCM. Works like a dream, problem solved!!!

Big thanks!!
  • cousinpkcousinpk Member Posts: 1
    I began having this problem last winter thought it went away but as soon as the cold weather set in it started up again. I contacted my Ford dealer, they were sympathetic but stated since I had more than 80,000 miles on the car it was not covered by the EPA warranty. I went to the EPA site and it seems that what the fact sheet reads. Does anyone know what the real story is?