Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Enclave Navigation System

flippyholzflippyholz Member Posts: 2
Hi All - just bought my Enclave yesterday and love most everything about it EXCEPT the fact that once you go over 4mph the navigation is disabled. I get it but when you have a passenger it really makes no sense. We had to buy from a dealer out of state and trying to navigate on the way home was a MAJOR pain. (Not fun to stop on the side of I-35 just to find a Hardees). We've always had a Garmin for this reason but I sprung for the built-in nav on this vehicle. I know Lexus and Toyota have touch screen codes to disable this feature. Anyone know of a way to do it on an Enclave?

Comments

• donsardonsar Member Posts: 2
    Never heard of this problem. The Nav should work at any speed from 0 to 160 +mph. The DVD on the Nav screen will not operate when the vehicle is moving for obvious safety reasons.
  • flippyholzflippyholz Member Posts: 2
    Oh trust me - it won't let you put in a new address or location once the car starts moving. I get the safety issue, but if you have a passenger then they could easily enter the info w/o endangering anyone. Its ridiculously annoying. :confuse:
  • ktaliaferroktaliaferro Member Posts: 1
    I know! We bought a new camry hybrid with the same, Very Annoying gps problem. You also cant operate your music lists either. Have you found out how to overide this safety problem? :confuse:
  • exitstageleftexitstageleft Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping to find an answer to this problem. I need my NAV everyday and it is very annoying to have to pull over to put in an address. I wholeheartedly agree that the passenger could be entering the data as well. Anyway, I stopped by the dealer today and was told there is a way to get around it but the vendor would not supply that info. ANYBODY Know?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    There are a couple of ways to accomplish this I think. If you just want to unlock the features that are not available while moving you can add a switch into the wire harness that feeds the NAV system. The NAV system takes a feed from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS?) and you can put in a switch that momentarily bypasses this input making the NAV think the vehicle is not moving. Several/many owners are starting to do this. Google acadiaforum or enclaveforum and you can search for how to do it. It seems pretty straight forward.

The other option is a commercially available product. I think it is called Lockpick. I think it adds much more functionality at a much higher cost but I can not comment directly. Also check out the forums above for info.

Good luck.
  • jareesjarees Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't find any instructions or even much discussion on acadiaforum. all I found on enclave froum was a place to (essentially) sign a petition to register my complaint. No where did I even find a hint of a "how to" discussion. Do you have any links you could offer?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=4295.0

If the link gets deleted search for "nav bypass" on the Enclave forum.
  • yankeebelle1yankeebelle1 Member Posts: 8
    I would love to bypass it. Wish they would attach it to a sensor in the pax seat like the airbag so we can program on the go. Had the same problem with movment, it shuts off at about 10 mph.
    Anybody done it and had success ? Want to post step by step ?
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    I agree! Both of my Chrysler 300C's have the same "in-motion" menu defaults that prevent nav system selections until the vehicle is completely stopped. My passenger (wife/co-pilot) is also my navigator, but I have to pull over for her to make any changes to the route program or address inputs. Stupid system! Also, the in-dash nav system screen should function with the dvd player/tv/mp3/screen in the backseat so the passenger can watch movies without having to sit in the back seat! If they want to diable the screen/menues when there is no passenger in the front seat, a weight sensor switch in the passenger seat would suffice. For the $1800 I had to pay for these systems in each car, they are not very useable. Ultimately, I would like to have continuous internet access available from the dash screen, to allow me to have access to everything without having to bother with a laptop. I also like the bluetooth connection for my cell phones, but it quite clunky when using voice commands. :shades:
  • yankeebelle1yankeebelle1 Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone else had the problem of the nav system giving the wrong information ? I can handle my house being off a few numbers or something like that but it gives my house number as one that simply does not exist. The highest the street numbers go on my road is 9 and my number is 2. The nav system says it is 64 or 72, both while sitting in the drive. Sometimes it says it cannot find the address at all! Last week it tried to send me the wrong way down a one way street (on the left) while my destination was ahead on the right. The zoo hasn't moved in about 25 years and my house is over 50 years old so the roads have not changed at all. It also occasionally sends me in a circle (yes, I'm serious) on our neighborhood streets to get out of town. Something is seriously screwy with it.

The Nav Tech disc is from 2007, car is 2009, and I want to know if replacing my system would solve the problem or is the system just reading what the disc gives it ? Anyone know? :confuse:
  • danny331911danny331911 Member Posts: 2
    Don't buy the update disk and if you do for God's sake don't get it from the thieves at GMNAV Disk.

If you take out your DVD disk and put in your computer to check the folders you'll see that the 2011 dsk has maps dated DEC2008. The maps are even older than that and I have found no difference in them from the maps in the DEC2007 dated map folder on my GMNAV Dsk that came with my then new 2010 vehicle.

They just released the 2012 GMNAV dsk update and guess what. The maps are from 2009 and they are no where near up to date with roads and addresses that were open in 2009 or in 2008 for that matter.

GM as always takes an otherwise great vehicle and then pisses off people that plunk down $50K or more by screwing up badly such details as "intentionally" selling 3-4 year old maps with a $1500-2500 in dash Nav system then trying to "gouge" customers for a ridiculous $200 for a truly feeble attempt at an "update".

GM needs to be held accountable for this scam and so far no one is except for the few of us willing to rip their thieving throats out on blogs.

We are not only customers but we bailed out this damn company with our tax dollars and we who then also pony up a huge bundles of cash to buy a GM vehicle DESERVES BETTER!
  • cyclgoatcyclgoat Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2008 Enclave CX model with tow package, two sunroofs, Nav System the works about 2 months ago. It has been my wife's dream vehicle for a long time. It's been great so far to own and drive. Just yesterday she was driving it and the radio started switching back and forth from FM to XM on its own. Now it's been parked since that happened yesterday so she don't know if it still going to do that. She has some stuff to do today later but just wondering if this is a documented problem and something she can have taken care of.

On a separate issue,
    She's noticed a little bit of water, after it rains, on the bottom right corner of the glovebox, and ending up on the carpet. Where should we start looking?

Please help!! I'm in the Army and I can't help my wife with these two problems as I'm not there at this time so any info that I can relay back to her would be great.

Please help! Desperate!!
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    cyclgoat,

We appreciate your service to our country and understand that it would be frustrating to be so far away when vehicle concerns arise. If your wife had wanted to work with a GM dealership on getting this looked into and would also like for Customer Assistance to keep track of what's going on as well, she can either contact the Buick Customer Assistance Center at 800-521-7300 or can email us at socialmedia@gm.com (we would need the following information along with any further details she would want to include about the vehicle situation: name, phone and address, the last 8 of the VIN and approximate mileage, and the name of the preferred dealership).

Thank you,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • marsh0511marsh0511 Member Posts: 5
    Maybe I'm in the minority, but at times, I do NOT want to listen to anything while driving, except any navigation commands when they come up. I don't know how to do this, as whenever the nav gal isn't talking, I can't turn off music. Any help?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hi marsh0511,

I completely understand that you want to concentrate on the navigation commands. Infotainment General Support is a great resource. Their phone number is 855-478-7767. If you have any additional questions, you can always reach GM Customer Care at socialmedia@gm.com

Jennifer T.(Assisting Amber)
    GM Customer Care
  • lslimrlslimr Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem. Do not trust the GPS at all. I have a 2012 Buick Enclave...got it in May and I don't intend to have to buy anything to update it. I just went on a trip and I just happened to go to Mapquest before I left and they had the right directions. Taking the car in this week and see what they have to say.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello lslimr,

Please keep us updated on the resolution of your issue when you go to the dealership for the diagnosis this week. If we can be of any assistance, please let us know.

Marlea Wilson
    GM Customer Service
  • jasivjasiv Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a used 2010 Buick Enclave CXL that does not have navigation. Is it possible to purchase and install an OEM nav. system that will interface with the bluetooth voice, backup camera, etc.?
  • 54321xyz54321xyz Member Posts: 1
    Have never received any real time traffic alerts. Had a 2011 Enclave and received many alerts. Dealer can't find anything wrong. Any suggestions?