Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The KBB market value of your '01 RX is not more than $10,000, maybe as little as $5,000 depending on conditional factors, AWD, Nav, etc. The dealer is telling you that your RX is not worth spending $6,000 on.

Lexus is very well aware of the premature failure problems, failures at 70,000 miles seem to be the norm, with the RX series transaxles and will usually split the cost 50/50, but at 110,000...??

In this case Lexus is being kind only because the dealer's price quote should be more like $4,000. Find a Lexus dealer that will do it for the more typical price and have Lexus pay the 25% and you're good to go.
  • verygreedyverygreedy Member Posts: 5
    That's a tough one...I'm in a similar situation although it was not the tranny, it was the engine. See if you can get it done any cheaper at another mechanic...I wouldn't be surprised if you could cut that in half.
  • verygreedyverygreedy Member Posts: 5
    Here's the deal, I've got a 2002 RX300 with 83,000 miles on it. It was meticulously maintained and oil changed every 3000 miles. I often used Mobil 1 too.

Last week as I'm driving home from a road trip around 300 miles, the oil light comes on. I just changed the oil a few days before going on vacation....I pull into a gas station and the dip stick is dry! I have to add 3 full qts to get it back in range. I got home and noticed it was low again...I decided to take it into Lexus at that point and not drive it.

They open it up, run compression tests...and tell me the #2 cylinder is jacked up and the spark plug fouled with oil all over it. In the last 500 miles I burned approximately 6+ quarts of oil. I remember getting something in mail regarding an extended 8 year warranty for oil gel or sludge problems with severe oil burn or oil consumption listed. With great maintenance and at 83000 miles....Lexus tells me I need a short block assembly replacement...to the tune of $7,800 with part/labor. I was floored...I showed all of my maintenance records, receipts...the stamped book...and they offered me 25% off as a "good will" assistance. With $5,800 the new price tag...I figure (since the vehicle is the prem pkg and in good shape otherwise) that the car is worth around 13k or so...I spent 30 minutes trying to get them to give me other options and the sales mgr says he'll give me $9,000 off a newer model for a trade in...they won't even fix the RX, just auction it off and pass the problem onto the next guy. Sheesh. Anyways, I pulled the RX (it drives fine, no noise...just burning oil like crazy) over to another mechanic I know..and I'm waiting to see if he can prove it's the same issue that the class action suit was all about. He thinks it is based on what he's seen...and has actually worked on a couple 2002 toyota engines with similar problems. (PCV was chg after 02')

They have a really nice 2005 RX330 with 40k miles on it on the lot and he'd knock the price tag from $27k (before taxes) down to around $17500 or so after my trade. My dilemma is whether or not to go with this....I liked the RX alot for the last four years...until this costly problem. What do you guys think? I'm 30 years old and make a decent living as a financial analyst....but man, I don't have six grand sitting around to throw at a 2002. What if it happens again! DOH. I feel kinda stuck...The RX was so great b/c I'm married with a 14 month old girl. Four door and really nice ride...I'd like another one, but man....any guideance or advice is appreciated. I've test driven other cars...I like the Infinity FX....but I really like the RX 330's and 350's alot. And I can't see trying to get another dealer to pay me more for it...even though they wouldn't know of the oil burn issue unless they opened up the engine...and I doubt in trade they'd do that. Any thoughts? Tanks!
  • sktn77asktn77a Member Posts: 1
    I don't think that's a particularly great deal. Unfortunately, the used car market for SUVs has tanked this year so it's hard to gauge what they are worth. One thing is for sure - used car dealerships don't make their money by doing people favors! Look at this deal as you would any other. You should be able to get your engine fixed for a lot less than $7800 and that's only if there's abolutely no evidence that the failure was caused by gelling and therefore covered by Lexus' 8 year goodwill warranty; did they do an inspection and advise you of this?

If Lexus won't cover this under the gel warranty (try another dealership and/or call Lexus HQ) I'd get it fixed at an independent.
  • twinmama2twinmama2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Lexus RX 300 with 153,000 miles, and I've taken my car to Lexus many times because I could here a ticking noise in the engine. Lexus told me that they were going to do a oil consumption test to see if they could find out where the ticking noise was coming from. Lexus said that they could not hear a noise. My car stopped on me while driving, and had to be towed to the Lexus dealership. Lexus said that my transmission has failed.
    You should consider yourself lucky, due to the design flaw I fully expect my '01 RX300's transaxle to fail well before 100,000 miles, now at 75,000 miles. Most '99 RX300 transaxle are failing at less than 80,000 miles.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    You mentioned it was being tested for severe oil burn. That indicates a severe engine problem, and is nearly unrelated to transmission condition, unless overheating was part of the problem.

Before you have the transmission repaired, you may want to find the reasons for the engine tick and severe oil burn. Otherwise you may end up with a good transmission and an engine thats ready to be run into the ground.

I don't think this is what I would want to hear, but I hope I've helped some.
    Hey Bout,

I'm curious if you got up to your next 2500 miles after the last tranny fluid and filter change. :confuse:

Did your transmission end up working well after the guess that it was bad, and then you serviced it to see how it would fare?

Did your fluid come out clean?

Did the Lucas additive help?

Share with us your wisdom. ;)
  • woody50woody50 Member Posts: 9
    We need a reliable second car. I can buy a 2000 Lexus RX with 33,400 miles for $14,000 (probably less with some negotiating) OR a 2003 Lexus RX with 67,500 for $16,500.
    Older with fewer miles or newer with many miles?
    Also, has anyone had a good experience with purchasing extended warranties?
    I feel like I took a walk through the slums this week, after inquiring and talking with reps who seem like stockbrokers and fast talkers from the 1980s.

Thank you for your input
    Neil
    I'd get the more refined (esp. reliability) mature-model 2003 RX with more miles. I'd use the higher mileage and slow market as leverage to bargain the price down. I have the impression the earlier models with low mileage would not be the best choice for you, for whatever that's worth. Use the keyword "search" and look in this and the main RX300 forum at similar past posts.

Good luck and let us know all about it!
  • bradley57bradley57 Member Posts: 2
    Maintenance on my SUV had been performed on schedule, no problems. At about 86k, I took it in to be checked after the tranny slipped a couple of times. Lexus flushed and replaced the transmission fluid and said all was fine, never mentioning the record on this model's transmission. At 98k the transmission failed. Lexus wanted $4400 to repair. After searching the Net, I found this site and the record for this model. I called Lexus, told them I was aware of the history of problems and requested their assistance. One day later service rep called back to say the dealership would split the cost 50/50. Thanks guys!
    I'm glad to hear they are still offering the "goodwill". It sounds like you are getting a good deal for a Lexus rebuilt tranny in the hopes of earning your continued loyalty. I hope (and expect) it will work out well for you in the long run. That's a lot better than the out-of-warrantee coverage that would be offered to you from other equally expensive makes.

Please let us know how your experience goes.
  • theozzfactortheozzfactor Member Posts: 23
    I own a 2002 RX300 AWD and happy with it (so far). I have a question. I have been reading lot of stories about the transmission failing, etc and was wondering about that w.r.t. my vehicle. I have never had any issue so far but only issue(s) I can think of is when the transmission is in 'D' (say in highway), when my hand accidentally brushes the transmission stick, it slips to 'N'. I have had this happen couple of occasions. I know its not supposed to change unless I press the button on top of the stick (probably I might have stepped on the brakes during that moment). Is this some sign of a serious under-lying problem :confuse: ? I bought this vehicle used 18 months back and was thoughtful enough to buy an extended warranty (3 years). So I would say my vehicle is still under Lexus warranty. Any input is deeply appreciated. Thanks
    Andy
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    No need to worry. I think you will find that under normal driving conditions, you are always able to move the gear lever from D to N without having your foot on the break and without pushing the button on the lever. This is the way most cars operate, and it is not in any way indicative of premature failure of your transmission. Enjoy the car, they are really great vehicles!!
    Thanks mate.
    More likely, you're probably not used to the mid-dash location of the shift lever. Yes, it's proper that you can go from D to N without pressing anything, if you move the lever. Just be careful. And if it happens again, try not to put it back in gear when you're on the accelerator.

Tips about transmission life:

1. Service the transmission (not flush!) by having the pan dropped and filter inspected and replaced often, especially for low-mileage usage such as short trips as well as driving in traffic and/or extended idling. The factory recommended service interval often reflects transmission replacement rather than preventive maintainence.

2. Make sure the service is being done with TYPE IV fluid, not the Dextron/Mercron with additive most lube shops use. Even a transmission shop will not likely stock the right fluid. They mix it from generic fluid and additive. Offer to pick it up at a Toyota dealer or Napa parts store yourself, and get an extra quart or two to make sure there's enough. Regardless of what the manual states, some models are known for having a larger refill capacity than the manual calls for.
    Thanks la4mead. Some useful inputs.
    Will keep those in mind.
    On the other hand, with the exception of the flawed design in many of the toyota and lexus transaxles, say '98 to present, 99.999% of us can simply ignore the ATF issue, drive the car for 150,000 miles, and then take notice of any ATF "needs".
  • sangko_65sangko_65 Member Posts: 1
    My RX300 would not shift to OD. I was told that it was the shift solenoids.
    My mechanic and I were trying to find were the shift solenoids were. After looking
    for about 20-30mins. we arrived to the conclusion that the solenoids are inside the
    transmission itself. Has anybody experienced this same shifting problem and what
    have you done to solve the problem/s? Let us know. Thanks.
  • nckimifannckimifan Member Posts: 6
    Is anyone aware if Lexus has provided specific warranty coverage for their defective transmissions in the RX 300s? Any recalls or class actions in process? My daughter has one broken down in Columbia, SC and sister has one parked in the garage with the same problem in WV. While my daughters was towed to the local dealer there was another tow truck their with an RX with the same problem. This sounds like a situation that Lexus should address or face the consequences. : :(
    The transmissions are definitely a weak spot (like many modern cars these days), not what I would consider a stout design, and I'm sorry to hear you're stuck with two out-of-warrantee failures in your family. Personally, I don't know about a recall or class action, possibly because Lexus has been helpful in many cases. I don't think they consider failures after 7/70 "defective" in the same way the owner/operator who is stuck with the car in the driveway does. Lexus did issue some service bulletins about the original transmission depending on model and year, and stepped up to the plate to replace transmissions under the longer-than-usual powertrain warrantee for a lot of owners who noticed problems, even before the transmission failed.

What may help you the most is that there are lots of reports that Lexus has been helping some owners who have established relationships by covering a "goodwill" portion of the out-of-warrantee repairs for good customers they want to retain (my humble personal opinion only, and I have no way to back up that claim). Then, you get a transmission rebuilt to the most modern design that Lexus specified, installed at the Lexus dealer with their professionals, at a cost that's more competitive than a third-party trans shop. Check this and the main RX300 thread.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.
  • bradley57bradley57 Member Posts: 2
    No recall, just push on your service rep for assistance with any repairs. Citing this site got me a 50% reduction in repair costs.
    Thanks. Have initially received a stone wall from local dealer but this problem is too significant for Toy/Lex to ignore. Am following up with Lex. Cust Serv. and local rep gladly gave me their number.
    "My RX300 would not shift to OD..."

This can happen, depending on years/miles/usage. If the engine is "tired" it may not be able to produce the level of torque required in OD at some roadspeeds resulting in low RPM operation. Basically the engine knocks/pings (non-audibly) just ONCE due to "lugging" and the ECU will now avoid those situations for teh current drive cycle.
    "..or face the consequences.."

To what consequences do you refer...?

This "episode" started with/during the design of the original RX300, introduced back in '98, ten years ago now and the problem still has not been adequately addressed, only makeshift, QUICK, band aid, fixes. In order to build a more "robust" Camry transaxle for use in a much heavier vehicle, SUV, F/AWD SUV, some sacrfices were made.

Goodle for:

wwest abolition transaxle -dfg
    at best . . . no repeat Lexus sales. . . at worst gov. complaint filed with potential class action for defective design. . . engine sludge is a good example of a defective design toy.lex. settled.
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I purchased my rx330 in 04. I began to read up on the problems that Toyota had with "sludge" in the bottom of the trannys.

I suggest this is not a new problem with the 300 and some 330s. Take a look at this thread post # 10 and others. I expected excellent vehicle quality with little repairs, and that was the reason I purchased Toyotas and Hondas over the years.

However, I subsequently sold my 330 when I started to see other owners of rx 330/330 have tranny issues and as I was getting close to 50k, I did not want to incrure the cost of repair/replace for a tranny. (Never had to replace a Toyota or Honda car tranny. Indeed all 6 dirvers in our family have not had to replace a Toyota or Honda vehicle tranny.)

Its a shame that when one buys a supposedly high end/quality vehcile, that he/she cannot count on the car to get the 150k we got on our old 95 Honda Accord and our 89 Toyota Camry. And we have owned Toyotas and Hondas since 1972.

I do not believe today in the old Toyota quality I thought was the basis of Lexus. I went back to Acura now, and have an rl. I hope this post helps someone. I didnot post this to get people angry, just to suggest that you look into some of the older posts.

Gist is that this is not a new problem.

Good luck to all in the new year and stay safe

jensad :)
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    First question is do you have a check engine light on? Even if it's on for an issue unrelated to the transmission, it will prevent your trans from shifting into overdrive. This is by design. Often some simple unrelated engine problems cause a check engine light and get mis-diagnosed as a trans problem.
    Shift solenoids are inside the trans. The whole valve body gets changed, not just a solenoid. It is so expensive to change the valve body is usually only makes sense to do a whole trans rebuild at the same time. If it is truly a shift solenoid not working correctly, this is usually not due to a solenoid failure, but due to other trans parts deteriorating and hanging up the solenoid.
    "...'sludge' in the bottom of the trannys..."

SOP...!!

I would be extremely surprised if I dropped the pan/sump on a "tranny" with more than 50,000 miles and didn't find...."SLUDGE".

The clutch (and bands for the oldies) frictional surfaces wear over time and use. ATF is specifically formulated to not hold the resulting debris in suspension so it settles to the bottom.
    Changing out one of the transaxle control solenoids, or even the valve body, is a piece of cake, literally, in comparison to an overhaul. Anyone experienced at changing engine oil and filter would NOT be challenged with the task of changing a transaxle control solenoid OR a valve body.

Tearing the damn thing down, removing it first, enough to replace clutch frictional surfaces and seals would be a nightmare in comparison.
  • lifelover100lifelover100 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Lexus RX 300 and already replaced the transmission once in 2004 and I just woke up to find out its out again. I've been extra careful since the first replacement in every way (such as making sure I come to a full stop after reversing from my parking spot before I put it into gear to go forward.) Im sure there are more than enough cases for a class action. Most of us either dont know how to go about that or wont initiate it even if we do because of how tedious it seems to be. I am just posting my double case for someone else to read in hopes that a class action gets started somehow... somewhere.
    Please EVERYONE report your failures here:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Just press "search selected type" button.

the failure will be listed under "Powertrain: Automatic Transmission"

It is the closest thing we can collectively do to get closer to a class action until someone picks up the ball.
    More direct link :

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

then press "continue with complaint"
  • InShockInShock Member Posts: 1
    The transmission in my 1999 Lexus RX 300 went out on 12/29/08 in rush hour traffic. I was in shock as I watched AAA load my so called dependable car on the back of the wrecker. I was later disturbed to learn that this is an existing issue and that the Toyota Motor Compay, USA (the parent company of Lexus) had not taken the ethical corporate responsibility and recalled the vehicle. The dealership offered to pay 15% of the $4600 and told me to contact the Lexus Customer Support for any further discounting. I contacted Lexus Customer Support and was told that they could "do another 10%" and that they were not obligated to pay for the repairs because the vehicle was not under warrantly. I am livid. I purchased a Lexus because of the reputation of dependability and am now in shock because it appears that the 1999 Lexus that I have is a lemon. I will never purchase another Lexus and will advise eveyone I come into contact with to never to as well. I used to have a freaking Geo Prism that I drove for over 12 years and had over 260K miles on it and NEVEr had a transmission problem. Are you telling me that a prism is more reliable than a Lexus. I plan to send an official complaint to Toyota and I am also going to complain with the NHTSA.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Let us know if you can get more than 25% contributed.
    It appears to me that somewhere mid-stream of the 2000 MY a major transaxle changeover, revision, was made.

The '99 and early '00 RX300 models appear to have a transaxle design flaw that results in premature transaxle failures in as little as 70-80,000 miles. Insofar as I have been able to learn Lexus has NEVER addressed the problem of the design flaw for these MY's. Only offering, sometimes, to partially compensate owners for repair costs.

If the 2000 RX300 you have purchased has the towing package that will be something/somewhat of a good indication that it is one of the late 2000 model year RX300's.

Once Lexus discovered, came to realize, the nature of the design flaw the corrective action/FIX appears to have been to change the transaxle's firmware so the line control hydraulic pressure is always kept up to a higher pressure level than the original design specifications called for. That resulted, of course, in more heating of the ATF than was expected with the original design pressure and so most, if not all, future vehicles were shipped with the optional (NOT..!!) tow package which included the auxiliary external ATF cooling.

It appears that this technique, "patchwork" fix, continued up until DBW, E-throttle was adopted for the RX330 series. DBW could be, was used, to delay the onset of engine torque when a transaxle gear change was required and ATF line pressure was not sufficient. DBW was used to "enforce" a delay in the onset of raising engine torque long enough for the line pressure to be pumped up to an acceptable level for fully and firmly seating the clutches for the upcoming gear change.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Your correct no one car company is PERFECT including Toyota with Transmissions in Lexus and Engine sludge in early 2000 on many of Toyotas. Subarus had head gasket issues in the 1998-2001 and even Honda with major issues with Transmissions in the 1998-2002 Accords. Then America cars well not enough space to put all of them down

MNF
  • jeevagarjeevagar Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1999 RX 300 as well and found out this morning that the transmissionn is gone. My dealer has quoted me $5k-6k to fix it and I will see if I can convince them to give me any discounts. Just like all of you on this board, I am furious and very unhappy with the company that promises the "Pursuit of Excellence".

In terms of the class action lawsuits, I will be very happy to participate/help with that, but I have the following questions:

1) We would clearly want to work with a company with a stellar record on class action lawsuits. How do we know which is the right company?

2) Can the people who initiate a lawsuit of this kind get into any kind of trouble for doing so?

3) Are these suits filed directly with hundreds (or maybe thousands) of people to start, or do they have a handful of primary plaintiffs and then the rest just tag on to that?
    What dealer did you go to - in what part of the country?

I have tried talking to the dealers in the bay area, CA and none of them want to take off a dollar of the price that they quote. They say we should talk to Lexus if we want any discounts..
    Miles...??

3500-4000 dollars is more typical.
  • allanteallante Member Posts: 1
    i cannot not believe all the money and whining people are putting out over this trans in the rx300 and not reporting it to nhtsa..everyone needs to take 5 min and report this .if they get enough reports they will make lexus fix it and even compensate past expences of owners that have been out all this money,come on folks wake up.
    link below. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm?step=2&t- -
  • luxusucksluxusucks Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 rx 300 trans failed with 120000 miles,Took car to dealership $4300 dollors to replace.Luxus ofterd 25% off.Talked with other mechanancs, everyone knows about this problem.Ended up taking it to a trans shop $2500 later works great.My car will never see a luxus dealership again.I have lost all faith in luxus and will tell all rx 300 owners about this problem and tell them to call customer service at 800 255 3987.
    To follow up on my problem I had reported earlier (1999 RX transmission dead at 101,000 miles), I talked to all the Lexus dealerships around my area, and the cheapest one I could find wanted $4500. I called Lexus and they (in my opinion) were very good about it - my cost $2500. I am happy to have had it fixed by the Lexus dealership as it should not be worse (if not better) than the job by other transmission shops and also fixing it from Lexus will carry some weight when I try and sell this vehicle a few years from now.
  • handeeguyhandeeguy Member Posts: 1
    First time user at edmunds.com: Great info sight.
    I am looking at buying a 2000 RX300 with 93k.
    I notice a lot of the trany comments are coming from the California area.
    I'm in the Northwest.
    Is the outdoor temperature the biggest factor in the trany failure rate?
    Can one install an after market tow package oil cooler to extend the life of the trany?
    Any info or help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    My honest advice - don't buy it! I doubt that the weather plays a big factor. You have a choice of buying whatever vehicle you want - so why buy something that may break down within a year and cost you $5000! IMHO..
    Warm weather idling is one of many factors that contributed to a weak original transmission design. The best situation: if you get one with an updated Lexus-replaced transmission, a good warrantee, or enough $ room if it needs one.

Many of the original transmissions were not reliable after about 60-70,000 miles. The ones that were trouble-prone tended to have a few issues with them, and have been generally low-mileage (higher mileage crappy trannys tended to have been replaced during the long original warrantee). The bad ones usually show symptoms and/or burned fluid indicating internal wear and tear. Others go far longer, hundreds of thousands.

If you're looking at one with burned fluid consider passing on it, or expect a bargain needing a replacement tranny. So if that's the reason you want to add a cooler, it's not likely to help a lot. However, YES you can add more cooling. I added an additional cooler after Lexus replaced my transmission under warrantee. The added cooler was cheap insurance, and easy to install. Most likely the model you're looking at has the factory external cooler in the RF fender, behind the windshield washer bottle which was included in the tow package nearly all came with. It's ducted but there's no fan, so that factory cooler is only effective when the car's moving at a good clip, another drawback affecting those that idle a lot. The tranny replacement I got was a brand new updated tranny from Lexus, all expenses paid. This was a very common occurance for higher-mileage, especially early 1999's. This new one (2004) shifts flawlessly, reliably, and it does not burn fluid the way the original did. Compared to the original transmission, I expect the replacement to last a long time.

Also I recommend a "search" in RX300. There are lots of posts with common questions. One I found is link title. But there are lots of good posts. It's a great question.

Honestly, RX300's weren't perfect, but what nine year old car with the utility and convenience this little car has, is? I think if you're looking at a good one and you're a careful shopper, it is possible you'll find the car comfortable, safe, full of everyday convenience in a smart size, as well as reliable.

Post up questions that come up with some details. There are bound to be some. Good luck.
  • shannonlee619shannonlee619 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 RX300. I am at 80,000 miles. I started having problems when putting my vehicle in reverse. Dealership is telling me that it might be the transmission. What am i expected to pay if so? I dont want to be cheated out of my hard earned money. I take good care of my vehicle and dont see it being the trans. Is it really going to be above 5k?
    Just paid 4K on a Lexus reman. tranny on a 125K 2001 RX (at a Lexus dealer). Seems there are a whole lot of RX tranny problems. Just read this site.
    RX series design change, resulting failures, and fixes (non-fixes actually).

When the ATF accumulator was dropped from the Camry transaxle design to make room for building a more robust transaxle for the soon to be released to production RX300 they obviously didn't foresee the problem associated with a need for a downshift for re-acceleration immediately following an upshift resulting from a throttle lift.

So the '99 and '01 RXes, at least the earlier '01's, had premature failures, most likely clutch failures, due to the lack of sufficient ATF pressure when the firmware commanded a downshift for re-acceleration.

My guess is that by about mid-production of the '01 model the mistake/oversight was discovered and the only quick and easy "fix" was to modify the firmware so that the "real-time" "bottom level" control of ATF line pressure was substantially increased.

While this would result in more line pressure being available for that "unexpected" downshift it would also result in substantially more heating of the ATF then had been planned. As a result almost all, if not actually all, 01-03 RX300's were shipped with the towing package which just happened to include an external ATF cooler.

But since the actual heating was restricted to a local area, the ATF pump and "real-time" pressure relief valve, the extra ATF cooling was not of great help. My '01 had ATF that was quite burned and odorous at only 40,000 miles.

When the RX330 (Camry, HL, ES300, Sienna...) rolled off the production line with DBW the transaxle failure problem was finally SOLVED.

Except the customers did not much care for sometimes having to wait 1-2 seconds after gas pedal depression for GO....

The 2010 RX350 now has new firmware to help with the reluctance to GO...
    I have a hard time imagining that it's not the transmission if you're having problems with reverse. This same question has been coming up a lot lately, so check out the "search" function on this site for more details. There is lots of information. If your car is otherwise in good shape and worth fixing, you're at an advantage that you're getting some advance warning before something breaks internally or clogs and it fails on the spot.

Since you didn't notice a problem with it until you're long passed the long mfr warrantee, likely you (the owner) are responsible for the cost. But Lexus has been providing other owners with partial loyalty (goodwill) discounts on out-of-warrantee transmission work done by them for established customers or to earn your business. I don't believe they are under any obligation if you had nine years/80,000 miles of use, but I could be wrong. But I also believe if you have an established relationship with the Lexus dealer and you ask, they will try to work with you on a Lexus transmission, especially if you show you asked them to perform preventive service on the transmission which likely was in addition to the manufacturers suggestion.

You may want to share some of your experiences on this site. For instance, how the dealer tries to work with you, how brown/burned is your transmission fluid, how long ago it was last changed, etc. Good luck, and let us know the details.