Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• bgr1bgr1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 RX300, i am the original owner and have always had it serviced as supposed to. It has 77k miles.

As i was driving near my home my car just stopped and would not go into any gear. I just had it in a lexus dealership for a quote on the knock sensor two weeks prior.

I have mentioned several times to this dealer and a dealer in another state that the transmission seemed to slip periodically (about 6 times) over the last 2 years while going into reverse. And now i see these posts and am furious. They all acted like they had no idea why it would be doing this and did not even recommend i have the transmission looked at.

I see what seems like lots of folks getting help from Lexus and from the dealerships in offsetting the cost of the new transmission. Has anyone been refused assistance?

Does anyone know of any OTHER shops in milwaukee area that will give me a more reasonable quote should i decide not to spend time fighting with Lexus?

bgr
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    If it was me, I would stick with dealing with a Lexus dealer on this issue, even if you get better results by going to a different Lexus dealer. I would recommend remaining calm and polite, yet firm. I would show the Lexus rep that you've been requesting assistance with the transmission all along and that the response you recieved was to wait for it to suffer a common failure. Lexus had issued many TSB (technical service bulletins) on this issue.

"Normal" service does not include the transmission until failure, as you've undoubtedly read or found out by now.

I'm not the biggest advocate of any brand's dealer service. However, in your case I'd stick with Lexus on this issue because it's likely they will help you if they feel it's in the interest of continued customer loyalty. Also, the transmissions sourced from Lexus are more likely to have updated hardware (better than original) than one sourced from a third-party transmission shop that was rebuilt with aftermarket parts. I'm guessing you don't want to spend a few thousand dollars and risk having the same trouble again in a couple years. My new Lexus transmission is great, after having it replaced under warrantee. And the new one does not show wear in the fluid (burning color & smell) like the original did. I expect the replacement to be much more durable.

Please report back and let others know how you were treated and how it worked out. Hopefully, Lexus will agree to pick up the tab for a good percentage, bringing your cost into reason. Good luck.
  • usdscubausdscuba Member Posts: 2
    Lexus RX300 4WD purchased new, dealer serviced. Right after being serviced at dealer for 80K service the transmission failed, totally. Our family has owned 100 assorted cars and trucks over the last 50 years, 5 Lexus, and never had to replace a transmission before. It is bad enough that Lexus dealer charges $400.00 for a replacement HID head light bulb, but $5,500.00 for a transmission seems crazy, and typical. My 100K Lexus extended warranty would not cover it. The Lexus RX transmission is a defective product! Study all the thousands of Toyota transmission failure reports out there, these should be replaced at no charge, or a class action lawsuit started. Another unhappy Lexus owner stuck with two 2001 RX300's doomed to sit on the side of the road and strand the owner.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    "...Lexus extended warranty would not cover...."

WHAT...??!!!

What excuse was given for THAT...??
  • theozzfactortheozzfactor Member Posts: 23
    I was a bit surprised too when I read that statement. I have '02 RX300 with around 85K miles on it and in the middle of 100K extended warranty.

When I purchased the warranty, there were two kinds of warranty. One regular warranty and other full warranty, obviously expensive than the first one. I opted for the second (full). Hope the above statement refers to the regular warranty. If not, I will have to double-check with my dealer who said everything is covered (except battery, etc).

Please check once again what kind of warranty you have!!
  • usdscubausdscuba Member Posts: 2
    I have owned 5 new Lexus vehicles including two 2001 RX300 models, and all were well maintained at the local Lexus dealership. However, the RX300 seems to be problem prone. This was purchased new with an extended 100,000 warranty and right after the 83,000 mile service at the Lexus dealer a serious transmission problem developed, making the vehicle unusable. While these type of problems might be expected with a KIA or Chevy, I would assume that a serious drive train problem would be extremely rare for a Toyota product that has always been professionally cared for with expensive dealer service. This is the 2nd time the transmission has been an issue. The first defect being caused by a defect in a critical motor / transmission gasket seal.
    I am extremely unhappy with the fact this was not discovered during the road test, and that Lexus will not warranty or support the defective transmission product. Chronic and expensive transmission problems represent the weak link with Lexus RX vehicles. I have lost faith and piece of mind in both the product and Lexus customer support structure which offers nothing to the owner. I am now ready to join the Lexus class action lawsuit.
    To usdscuba

You mentioned that your vehicle was under extended warranty. Did the warranty cover the transmission problem you are talking about?

Thanks
  • accproaccpro Member Posts: 4
    I had a 2000 Lexus RX300 module, recently I just got rid of it, because this was the second time that the transmission failed on me. The first time when the transmission failed, I was driving the vehicle on the highway, and I felt some thing wrong with the car, so I exited the highway, suddenly the car stopped on me when I was exiting the ramp. This would have caused a big chain accident if I was continue driving the car on the highway at that moment.

I suggest all the year 2000 Lexus RX300 owner, carefully check your transmissions with your mechanic. Do not drive on the higway unless you are sure there is no problem with your transmission.
    It appears to me that the '99 & '00 RX300s have the highest rate of premature transaxle failures. Also, and many posters seem to be of the opinion that the F/awd versions have an even higher failure rate.

I just discovered that the F/awd VC, Viscous Clutch/coupling is different for the '99 & '00 RX300 vs the '01 and later RX300s. The '01 F/awd was the first year TC/VSC was adopted so it makes some sense engineering wise that the '01 and later VCs would/could be made less functional.

That would mean the earlier versions would have had a more robust, quickly acting, VC, and that would of course put more stress on the drivetrain overall.

While I still remain of the firm belief that the ATF pump motor revision was/is the primary causative factor in these premature transaxle failures it now seems clear to me that the F/awd with the more "solid" VC could be a contributing factor.
    I think I understand where you're going with this. It's something to consider. I don't have any accurate stats to prove the correlation between models with a viscous coupling (AWD) and transmission failures, or failure rates in general compared to other models.

I think it's faulty logic to assume that failure rates attributed to or contributed by extra wear from AWD can be determined by frustrated owners who post public messages. For instance, I'm the original owner of an early '99 (may '98) 2WD model (no extra drag from a viscous coupling, etc.), and it had transmission troubles right out of the box. There were TSB's from the factory that prescribed replacement of faulty valve bodies on 2WD models right away, under warrantee, but the dealer postponed doing anything about the problem until the transmission needed replacement under warrantee. But my friend has a couple hundred thousand miles (LA commuter miles) on his 2000 AWD, without any problems. However, my example is not statistically valid. There may very well be more AWD failures than 2WD, but that's statistically to be expected because there were a lot more RX's sold with AWD. Also, owners with no experience of early failure, or satisfied with replacement under the original long warrantee understandably don't seem to post a lot of messages about their experience, which separates their data from the samples.

Many (not all) of the messages I've seen posted (not including Mr. West's) take on an understandably angry complaining tone, but don't give details useful to others, except condone the ownership of any vehicle made by the same manufacturer. Not only are those messages not statistically valid at all, but they don't do the poster or readers any justice. The posts from owners who are coping with failures that provide useful details, such as when the TRANSMISSION was specifically serviced (not part of regular service), how transmission service was performed, the way the RX was used, the service department experience, etc. provide helpful information to share with other owners. I'm also curious to know failure rates compared with other competing models.

I expect many of us bought an RX expecting above average reliability. However almost all models these days seem to have some achilles heel. It would be interesting, and useful, to compare failure stats to other models as well.

I look forward to posts from owners who can provide information useful to others, including specifics.
    For me the RX330's "conversion" to DBW in order to delay the onset of rising engine torque to "protect the drive train" upon a re-acceleration instances pretty much says everything.

IMMHO the abolition of the old style ATF pump motor line pressure control and pressure sustaining accumulator during the RX300's design phase is the primary case of the early RX300 transaxke failures. Obviously any additional stress resulting from the addition of the F/awd system and the more robust VC would ahev served to excerbate matters in this regard.

Note that along with the adoption of DBW for the RX330 the VC was also dropped entirely. IMMHO the adoption of TC in '01 eliminated the possibility that the VC, ANY VC, would ever become functional, be of any real service, in any case.
    Is '01 when they went from a normal (no slip) 50/50 torque split (nicer for cornering) to the more fuel-efficient 95/5 front/rear split? Is that because they eliminated the viscous clutch?

I bought the '99 2WD (FWD) with Traction Control on purpose, to maximize fuel economy, acceleration, and carrying capacity, which it apparently does. TC was not available on AWD until it's inclusion with the adoption of VSC, I think 2001. The 2000 AWD models I've driven did feel better in the curves (torque from the center of the vehicle is noticeable on comparison to my '99 2WD where the torque is "pulling" from the front) but that advantage was apparently lost when the 95/5 split was adopted.

Since the FWD model with the skinny 225/70R16 stock tires did tend to obnoxiously slip the inside front wheel very easily, the TC would activate often to stop the slip (and also retard engine efficiency and the ease of making a quick maneuver -in a really ungraceful way- unless you pushed the "off" button quickly). I'm kinda picky about such things, and it bothered me. Other than the sloppy, overprotective way the TC nanny would slap my hands on the steering wheel and scary-slow left turn capabilities, I always wondered about the extra wear on the drivetrain and front brakes. Then I just put the widest and grippiest tire I could mount on the stock rims (255/65/HR16 Mich Cross-Terrain with hub-centric rear wheel spacers), which eliminated almost all slippage until the TC appropriately thumps in, in a more buffered manner.

So what's harder on the transmission, drivetrain, and brakes? :confuse: Drag from the TC activating more often on 2WD? Viscous Coupling and AWD? AWD without VC? Maybe the weakness (Achilles heal) is the light-duty, less-than-robust design of the transmission. :sick: And to me, the lack of a "handling package" to flatten the cornering, but I'm the only one who seems to complain about that :mad:

So on a side-note, the thought of selling my RX because of it's weaknesses reminds me that competing models with superior handling characteristics might punch a hole in my wallet much more than the cost of a replacement transmission, even if I had to pay for it, which isn't likely for me for a long time. Those models are not exempt from $4000 repairs, either. Check the Audi, BMW, and VW sites, not to mention the domestics.
    "..So what's harder on the transmission, drivetrain, and brakes?.."

TC braking is selective, mostly only on the slipping wheel(s), and only on the relatively rare instances of actual wheelspin/slip, and even then with INSTANT engine dethrottling. So TC would likely only reduce the life of the brake pads and rotors.

A VC that "stiffens" rather quickly, as in, probably, the '99 & '00 models, would add stress to the drivetrain only in instances of some wheels having moderate to highly tractive conditions, resulting in driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing. A fairly common circumstance therefore a possible contributor to the premature transaxle failures of the '99 and '00 models.

F/awd without VC..?? Probably an advantage with a sports car on a a race track but virtually USELESS otherwise, just has now been proven by Toyota and Lexus via the HL, Sienna, and RX. VC not available, or at least not a functional one, and a TC system as backup which you often must turn off in order to get up and going in the very conditions for which you bought the F/awd version to begin with.

So the new Venza and 2010 RX350's F/awd system is/will be a definite improvement, but still not nearly as adequate as the SH-AWD system. Personally I'd much rather have a R/awd or even a RWD wherein primary propulsion is left to the rear tires and the front traction coefficient is primarily dedicated to mainatinaing directional control.

But life is a continuous series of compromises.
    The '01 and up RX300s still had the VC, but I strongly suspect it was severely DERATED. VC was dropped for the entire RX330 product run. Marketing says the RX350 uses a VC (just as they did with the RX330 until caught lying) but none of the factory documenation indicates that is true. The TC system would make a VC virtually useless regardless of its actual existence anyway. But maybe that's why they finally provided a means to turn TC off, so the VC could "come into play"...??

My '01 F/awd RX300 was only able to "pull", at most, a 75/25 F/R torque distribution reading on a 4 wheel dyno test. 95/5 initially.

I'd bet, with hindsight, the '99 and '00, new, would have pulled something closer to a 50/50 in the same test.
    "I'd bet, with hindsight, the '99 and '00, new, would have pulled something closer to a 50/50 in the same test."

So my guess is a 2000 model year with AWD would be more of a smile on the curves, as long as it has a good transmission (or replaced with a more modern one), ATF changed often, and with larger rubber contact patch on the ground.

What are the chances I can find a retrofit to 5 speed (manual)? Ha ha. Probably the same as finding upgraded sway bars and links. Or maybe just a good used Legacy GT wagon, and give up on all the nice (but minor) features the RX has.
  • phm4phm4 Member Posts: 1
    My 01 RX 300 had a transmission that died on me this week at 150K miles. I am now deciding to repair it of $5,000 or look for a new car. Just thought I would check in in case any one is recording the information for data purposes.
    150K on the stock tranny? Good for you... you did pretty well. That's about double the mileage compared to what most complaints are about. If you got 150K on most other make's SUV trannies that might be considered above average, too. But I think we all expected a little more attention to reliably robust designs when we bought the RX, and were disappointed with the weak design(s) they used for the transmissions.

But if the car is otherwise in reliable and decent shape, I'd think it's worth shopping price on the tranny. But I still tend to favor spending a little extra if it's a Lexus replacement transmission; specs to a more modern design. I'm not generally a big advocate for dealer service, but it's worth it if you're not just getting the same type of tranny that failed on you before, with aftermarket parts, compared to one that's from an updated design. Plus, my guess is the Lexus dealer is pretty experienced at transmission replacements. And they might be able to get some kind of discount to you if they get the feeling it's to earn your continued loyalty (business). And cheaper than car payments. Just my hunch.

Please keep us posted on what you decide, and what happens (and how much it hurts your wallet!)

Good luck.
    Care must be exercised regarding updated designs as those will often require different firmware or maybe even shift control components.

Our '95 LS400 is now at 225,000 miles and the tranny is still pulling STRONG.

A lot more room, of course, to put a strong and fully robust, adequate, transmission.
    If it's an updated designed transmission "...Care must be exercised regarding updated designs as those will often require different firmware or maybe even shift control components", (Lexus is the only source I know of for that) Lexus already knows what will work and what won't. Ex: the much-improved new transmission they installed in 2004 in my '99 shifts flawlessly (for an automatic - I prefer manuals) and even the ECT switches that were phased out of later models still do their jobs (Normal, Power, TC off, & Snow functions still work) with the new transmission.

I'm not a fan of automatics anyway, but I can't see how it could operate any better than the "updated design" new one except if it had paddle shifters (and I thought it was stout enough to shift manually). No hesitation, in fact I would call the downshifts "enthusiastic". All that and it doesn't demonstrate wear (burning fluid) the way the original did.
  • gbryantgbryant Member Posts: 9
    The tranny in my 2000 RX300 failed the other day at 96000 miles. Lexus has replaced it for $5000 with an offer to contribute $1000 towards that cost. The dealer told me I had an option to take the issue to a non-Lexus arbitration board and they gave me the number to cal. The process has begun with the next step foe me to detail why I believe that the transmission failure should be paid for by the dealer. Any suggestions from those who have gone through this process would be appreciated. I could also use documentation about the failure rater of the subject transmission, recalls, service bulletins, etc.
    It's good to hear the dealer sounds helpful and accommodating. It also sounds like you got a reasonable deal on a Lexus replacement, which will likely be more reliable than the original.

I wish I had suggestions for your claim. But unless the dealer did something wrong, your claim is more likely against the manufacturer, and it will be up to you to prove that failure after 96,000 miles of use is premature or an unsafe design. Yeah, it seems like there are a lot of reports of failure. I expected a more reliable design when I bought a Lexus. But I'm glad you got a big loyalty discount.

I wish you luck and hope you find the info and reimbursement you're looking for.

Please keep us posted how it goes.
    '...big loyalty discount..."

Yes discounting a $5000 charge by $1000...

Except most STEALERS would have done that work for <$4000 ($3200 is more typical) to begin with.
  • mollertsmollerts Member Posts: 2
    Hello---I have just received a quote from my dealership that the cost to put in a new transmission on my 2001 rx300 will be $5000. It died, and by died, I mean had to be DRAGGED onto the towbed with not so much as a warning. That afternoon, at one point, it seemed as if the car had slipped into neutral and lurched forward. Driving home, this was repeated twice, accompanied by the sounds of something rattling around on the bottom of the car. Suffice it to say, when my husband went out to check it, the car wouldn't even go into neutral. So there is another statistic for those keeping track. The dealership has been helpful, but we will still be responsible for a new transmission.
  • luxusucksluxusucks Member Posts: 3
    After having my 2000 rx300 trans fail with 122000 miles on it,the dealer offered to replace the trans for $5000.00 Called luxus was offered $1000.00.Looked around for other deals.Found a trans shop that would rebuild it for $2500.00.They had rebuilt 4 or 5 already.So far so good,one other thing I told Luxus they would never see me or the car again.
  • mollertsmollerts Member Posts: 2
    I just reported my failure, so now the count is up to 48, I believe. Thank you for posting this site.
  • regnurs0220regnurs0220 Member Posts: 2
    The transmission in my 1999 RX Lexus died yesterday. I'm a traveling nurse and the car has 171k on it. After reading these posts I'm horrified to find out it's going to cost me $5,000 to fix it. I just don't know if it's worth putting that kind of money into a vehicle with so many miles. The motor uses a quart between changes. What do you think?
    If you're in MT, WY, ND, SD, and possibly elsewhere, you can shop around and get the transaxle rebuilt for $2000-2500, otherwise ~$3200 seems to be the going rate. Ebay has used/savaged for as little as $1800.

171,000 miles for a '99 RX isn't bad, so much so I would suspect the transaxle has been replaced at least once before, if not twice.
    I also would shop the price, and after they know you got estimates elsewhere, the Lexus dealer might also give you a break to earn your business but still be more expensive than independent shops.

It sounds like you don't want to put a lot of money in your car the way you describe it uses a quart of oil in between changes, which is more than some cars but not excessive, however I'd be really, really careful about a choice to use a used/salvaged tranny (I wouldn't do it) because you're very likely to end up with the same problem in a short time. The original '99's were bad from the beginning, many replaced under warrantee. But some '99 4WD have been known to last a lot longer.

If you decide to replace the transmission, keep in mind the way they were rebuild isn't aren't all the same. Original designs on '99s were fragile to begin with, but Lexus made a lot of changes to them to make replacements more reliable. A salvaged or even third party rebuilt might be more likely to have the same troubles or other troubles in a short time than one sourced by the dealer.

So if you replace the trans, I'd recommend your oil often with a good synthetic. My favorite that cured a slight oil burning from the valve guides completely is Shell Rotella-T 5W40 (synthetic in the blue bottle) sold at Walmart for about $18-19/gallon. It's not labelled an "energy conserving" oil which ultimately means it was formulated with an additive package that allows more lubrication during cold starts wear most wear occurs. It also has a wider range of viscosity (thickness) than "energy conserving" oils. It's marketed towards big diesel tractors, but it works well in many vehicles including my RX. Many motorcycle owners on forums like this swear by the synth Rotella-T, citing independent scientific surveys rather than opinion, because that kind of additive package is no longer used in common motor oils like the ones car manufacturers are forced to reccomend as energy conserving, although, I haven't noticed a bit of difference in fuel economy over the "energy conserving" rated oils.

Also, service the new transmission at least every two years with the right fluid. That is not included in normal "recommended" service by the dealer. They usually wait for failure to recommend anything.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. Good luck.
    If you are electronically schooled or have a friend that is there is a relatively simple modification you can do to the '99 & '00 transaxle that will substantially extend their duty life.

Any time the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) returns to idle then over-ride the transaxle PWM voltage supply to the ATF line pressure control solenoid for the next 10-15 seconds in order to hold the line pressure high enough to support an immediate, sequential, downshift if you should need to quickly return to acceleration.

I suspect that this is something like what was done to "cure" this problem with the '01 and later RX300s except there was no time-out.
  • regnurs0220regnurs0220 Member Posts: 2
    Since the 1999 trans were so bad could I use a 2000-2003 if I could find one with low miles at a salvage yard? My husband is going to do the labor free, and even though I do realize that rebuilding it would be the better option, finacially I just can't make it happen.
    Someone correct this please if I'm wrong.

The 2000 is likely to have the same premature failure problem as the '99.

The '01 and later RX300s have a problem with overheating the ATF(***) and may REQUIRE the tow package's external cooler. Lexus recommends a drain and refill of the ATF every 15,000 miles although the owners manual has no such requirement.

If your's is F/awd then the VC for the '99 and '00 differs from the one for later RX300's so you might want to remove the VC altogether if you install as '01 or later RX300 transaxle.

*** I suspect this is due to a not well thought out, quick fix, for the premature failures of the '99 and '00 models. It would have been relatively easy to change the firmware to keep the ATF line pressure elevated for a brief period of time upon a throttle release and if the transaxle were not in top gear. But since the ATF is quite clearly overheating in these models I moreso suspect the ATF line pressure is kept elevated, PERIOD.
    To see how modular the fit and software is across the board, I would ask at a couple transmission shops that truly specialize in Japanese/Lexus RX's and see what they think. My gut guess is for a salvaged model to be completely compatible, you would have to replace it with one of a similar mfr. date and and drivetrain or risk having to tinkering with ECU's, VC's or something else.

Salvaged/used means the unit will have similar problems lurking in the future.

So matter what kind of fix you decide on, as Mr. West pointed out, going forward it will always be a good idea to increase the tranny cooling and especially transmission service intervals. If your husband can swap the tranny, he's likely more than capable of fluid, gasket, and filter changes at least biannually, even if it's not something Lexus officially recommends. And installing an additional cooler and/or small thermostatic fan for the cooler's factory ducting in the driver's side fender might be cheap insurance, but only once it's made reliable. Either way, these are common suggestions for all kind of cars.

Good luck finding a fix that works for you. There might be a salvaged model that's a good match for your car. But an RX300 transmission expert might know, because they're likely to have done a bunch.
  • bgr1bgr1 Member Posts: 2
    i am circling back to let you all know what happened in my case.

a few weeks back, i had a 2000 rx 300 with 77.5 miles when the trans died in elm grove WI

lexus of brookfield wi quoted 4500 to fix and offered nothing from them but went straight to lexus customer service on my behalf. i thought that was nice of them but that only resulted in 25% off of the part offer. $480.00

after seeing the other posts on this site, i expected more. so i then went into arbitration with lexus cust service only to be offered the same after 3 conversations and 3 weeks.

Lexus offered $1000 for my trade in, what an insult, both nissan and mazda offered 4k right off the bat.

So i ended up buying a new Nissan and resolving NEVER to give lexus any of our money again. They are missing out because in the past 15 yrs my hubby and i have bought 3 lexus and 4 toyotas.

I have vowed to tell anyone that will listen to dump their 99-01 RX300 before the tranny goes out.

We are very disappointed in how lexus handled everything. end of story
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's disappointing but thanks for the followup.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • ka1cvyka1cvy Member Posts: 4
    I'm appalled at reading all of the blogs. I have my car at an independant transmission shop, where the repair estimate is $3,200 for a rebuilt with a 1 year warranty. Like may folks on this site, I also have replaced the fluid, avtually I did it at 50,000 miles.

It seems that Toyota has a design flaw with their trannys. Would it be likely that Lexus will reimburse me having the service done at an indpendant shop?

Thanks,
    Ron KA1CVY
  • tanyaftanyaf Member Posts: 2
    My transmission died on my 2001 RX300 at 125K. A month before the transmission died I took my car to the dealer because it was making wining noises and was sluggish. They said I need to have the idle air control valve replaced ($700). I took it to a reputable independent shop and they said it was very dirty and they could clean it for $200. I was so upset with the dealer I vowed never to go back. A month later my transmission goes. I don&#146;t know if that was a precursor or not, but I ended up spending another $3,900 to have the transmission replaced with a 50 month or 50,000 mile warranty. I was so upset. I Googled RX300 and transmission problems and found this site. It made me feel a little bit better that I did not do anything wrong, as I kept up with my car maintenance, but I am very upset with Lexus. I doubt they would pay for anything done at an independant shop.

My co-worker has a 1999 RX300 with 160K on it. She says she has not had any major problems with her car, but I told her to be aware of the transmission problems.
  • glen2009glen2009 Member Posts: 3
    yep, my transmission on my 2002 RX300 died at ~90K miles. Cost was $5K at the dealer and a rebuilt tranny at that. Only one year warranty. A friend of mine with exact same year and model as my RX300 had her transmission die at about 90K miles as well!

On top of that I recevied a notice that the 3.0L engine used in the RX300 may be prone to oil sludge build up which could cause the engine to seize. This letter came from Lexus.

time to trade in for a new car! Also, I dont' understand how lexus can still be rated as a very reliable car?????
  • ka1cvyka1cvy Member Posts: 4
    The sludge buildup can be avoided, Ive read, if you do regular oil and filter changes. I domine every 4,000 miles or so. Lexus did acknoweldge that probelm and actually sent me a letter stating such and I understand will make good for a slugded engine if you can document that you did the oil changes.

The transmission thing, on the other had, they seem to be ignoring. If enough of us complain, they may budge- what think?
    I have 2002 RX300 too with 85000 miles on it. I have another year of extended warranty left (or 100,000 miles). So far I did not notice any transmission issue in my vehicle. Are there any tell tale signs that I should be aware of? If I notice something, then I can convince the dealer to change the transmission while in warranty. Thanks
    Hello,

My transmission went out at 90K miles. However, the replacement is only a 1 year warranty. Also its a rebuilt transmission and not a new one -- you would think fo the cost it would be a brand new transmission.

If you can afford it , trade-in and buy another car. good luck!
    my tranmission sometimes would not lock into reverse. Also it seem to take awhile to shift from 3 to 4 gear. a few months later the tranny died. BTW, I also took it to the dealer when it was acting up and of course they found nothing wrong.
  • tanyaftanyaf Member Posts: 2
    Here is the link to file a complaint with the NHTSA:
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

I think if they get enough complaints, maybe they will take some action.
  • gapettitgapettit Member Posts: 1
    I want to add my voice to the 'never again Lexus' crowd. I had my engine replaced at ~90K miles. I fought to get Lexus to pay for that. Only after the class action suit did I get full refund for the repair.

The transmission just failed at 130K miles 200 miles from home (the car stoppped on the highway) and was towed to a Lexus dealership. After asking for help with the repair, the Service Manager offered 10% off of the $4600 bill(1 yr warranty). Called Lexus and they refused to assist.I hope someone starts a class action suit for the transmission problem. I'd be happy to join the suit. :lemon:

So I say, never again a Lexus. I will move my business to Volvo out of respect for my '99 V70 with 165,000 miles and no issues.
  • sblexussblexus Member Posts: 1
    I was shocked when I found out my transmission was failing at 88K. "It's a LEXUS!" I exclaimed. But after doing a little web search, I was surprised to find this to be a common occurrence. I will also admit I was a little comforted to discover this as well since I had babied the heck out of my car - regular dealer service etc. Well after pondering what to do (can't sell a car with a bad tranny), I decided to shop around for repair. After getting some estimates, I headed straight to the dealer for an estimate and explanation. Lexus was REALLY nice about the whole ordeal. They offered to match my estimate as best as they could as well as give me the nicest "courtesy loaner" they had available. Well, I'm a sucker for that Lexus charm and took the deal. They are going to replace my transmission (refurb) for $3888. I know I could of gotten a local tranny place to rebuild for a bit less but they did match what it was going to cost to replace. Well, I'm driving a sweet 2009 RX350 with all the bells and whistles and loving it.

I did fill out a complaint form in hopes that I will get some money back if enough people complain (it worked for my Maytag washer/dryer). I still love Lexus vehicles and their service. Therefore, I can't join the NEVER AGAIN crowd but I am all about the LET'S COMPLAIN TIL THEY FIX IT group.
    Glad you got it worked out so well for you. Your '01 with a new, hopefully updated tranny parts will be sweet, too.

I hope your rebuild from Lexus lasts longer (with updated factory parts). My original tranny used to punish and burn the fluid contaminating it with worn material, but my replacement clearly is in a different league.

Watch dealer service, though... There's a strong likelihood it might help to specifically ask for regular transmission service including dropping the pan and replacing the filter (not flushing), otherwise it's likely they won't include it. Be comforted to know even though it's a sore point, in today's cars it's not unusual to find a $4000 repair on an 8 year old car.

It sounds like you're getting a "sweet" deal. :shades:
  • wuchenwuchen Member Posts: 3
    I am surprised to find out this is a common problem, and to know I have to spend $4,000 to replace. Now I have to find a shop to fix. I haven't done any estimate yet. Do I have to send to the dealer or independent shop is good enough? From the forum, it seems $3200 is a reasonable price. Is it right?
  • rdaughtrdaught Member Posts: 1
    I put "going strong" in quotes because although I have never had a problem with it after 180000 miles, I have no idea what kind of condition it is in. I am the original owner. It is the AWD with the "tow package". I have never used it for towing. I have ALWAYS gone to the dealer for its scheduled service. I do not baby the car, got a couple tickets going over 100 :( Although the dealer maybe expensive, I think in the 9.5 years I've had it I only needed to go to the dealer twice for unscheduled maintenance (O2 sensor). Besides that, it has been a dream to own.
    I'd like to know from the people that complain about the tranny if they stuck to the routine schedule religiously? Did they get the tow package?
    P.S. I purchased my 2000 RX300 from Longo Lexus in SoCal in Dec. '99.
    Routine dealer maintenance does not generally include transmission service specifically. A dealer may suggest it, but likely you would know about it on the bill. Dealers don't generally include transmission service in their service packages.

I have a friend with a 2000 AWD who has at least as many L.A. commuter miles (definately not babied), and I've reminded him to ask the dealer (local Toyota dealer) specifically to service the transmission with new fluid, filter, and inspection from the pan at least every couple years, which I think is a good idea regardless of model. No problems so far.

Enjoy the drive!
  • lee7194lee7194 Member Posts: 4
    my 2001 AWD with tow package has 316,500 and started slipping in 3rd gear yesterday. Never towed anything and flushed tranny every 50,000 miles. Never any major problems of any kind and still drives like new other than tranny croak.
    Please help me with what are updated parts? I am debating whether to put in a salvage or a rebuild. Based on discussion posts, it appears a used transmission is a bad gamble. Would a used 2002 or 2003 be any better than 2001 and earlier? thanks

BTW, a bottle of Lucas Transmission fix after death decree at the dealer, enabled me to drive home from orlando to tampa and totally stopped all slipping and clunky shifts. Havent tried it yet this morning...just possible last resort FYI for others with clearly worn out tranny to help keep from getting stranded
    At 316,500 miles your factory transaxle has earned a "rest", put it out to pasture.

But given the history of these RX transaxles (I don't expect my '01 to last to 100k) I suspect a "shill" for Lucas is more likely the case.