Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    I thought the GVWR Tax law only applies to small business owners not individual buyers. Do you own a business? If not then am really interested if you can give any further details.
  • dteacheydteachey Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 4runner limited and when I get into show the engine slows down and I cant seem to get it to go. I hear clicking under the hood and it seems like it doesnt have enough power to get me going. I used the ECT button but the rear end just slipps. NEED HELP
  • dteacheydteachey Member Posts: 2
    update to message...it is a 2002 instead of 2003
  • mprichmomprichmo Member Posts: 6
    If you aren't already in 4X4 (pending you have a 4X4 model), shift into it. What it sounds like is your VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) is working like is should. It limits spin outs and loosing control from going to fast for the conditions. If you try harder on the gas pedal at first it will have to correct more and will let you know by a beeping sound and there should be a light on the dash that comes on or flashes. I have a 2001 4X4 SR5. In the 4X4 you can disable VSC if you are in low range or by locking the diff at slow speeds.
  • 65stang65stang Member Posts: 7
    The owner's maunal of my 2003 4-Runner V-8 4WD calls for lubricating the propellar shafts every 5000 miles. What's involved in this proceedure, I didn't see any zerk fittings to put the grease gun.
  • coranchercorancher Member Posts: 232
    65stang, there are zerks on the driveshaft assemblies on both sides of the transfer case. I believe each driveshaft assembly is composed of 2 hooke-type universal joints and a shielded spline-type slip joint. There is 1 zerk coming out of the center of each of the spiders (the floating bit that looks like an X) and another at the slip joint. You may need to rotate the shafts (move the vehicle or jack it up) to see the zerks.

There are write-ups in other forums describing the procedure. The write-up in the Toyota repair manuals is unfortunately very brief, and describes the greasing of "double-cardan" joints that the current generation 4Runners no longer have (at least my V6 multimode system doesn't have them!). I suspect this is a defective carry-over from previous repair manuals, as the new repair manuals don't describe the Torsen differential at all.

I don't know why they suggest lubrication of the prop shafts and checking of the bolt torque so often, but I do it anyway. Maybe a dusty/dirty environment and/or off-roading would justify all this attention. Frankly, I think most dealers skip this part of periodic maintenance and just *say* they did it.
  • tangmantangman Member Posts: 127
    My windshield recently cracked on my 04 Sport, starting in the middle of the bottom going up 4 inches then toward the driver side approximately 7 inches. I have recently seen two other 4 Runners with similar cracks. The dealerhsip attributes it to an extremely small (pin head) chip almost under the wiper blade. Are others having problems with crack windshields?

As for gas mileage, my V8 gas milage is very sensitive to speed and hills. At 55 you can get 20+, at 60mph 19 mpg, at 70mph typically 17mpg on the highway. One time I did get 20 mpg on a fairly level road averaging 70mph. But typically the average is 17 mpg for all around driving both in the town and at higher speeds on the highway where it is not flat.

Are the folks with 05s 4x4 getting any better gas milage with the V6 or V8?

Have a great Holiday
  • 65stang65stang Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, it sounds like a basic u-joint which doesn't need lubricating every 5000 miles. What would be your suggestion about a maintenance interval?
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    I have a question that 2 dealers have not been able to answer...any help would be great!

Being interested in a mid size SUV I looked at the 2005 V6 4Runner Limited and like it a lot. However, being 6'5" I simply don't fit in one with a moon roof. No problem, I thought, I would just get one without as it is listed as a line item option on the sticker.

However, the dealers around here don't have any Limiteds without a moon roof. One dealer says they should be getting some and will call me but the other says that a moon roof on a Limited is a forced option meaning that all units produced get the moon roof even though it is listed as an 'option'. They said they can TRY to order one but it would take 30 days to know if my order was accepted (e.g. if Toy will build the truck the way I want) and then 2-4 months for delivery at full MSRP. Since Carmax is selling them for $400 UNDER invoice I am not about to pay MSRP and wait 5 months.

Any insight on getting a unit without a moon roof?

Thanks. D
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Good Luck, seems like in my neck of the woods (midwest) just about every 4R has a moonroof. About the only time it doesn't is if is a SR5 with the 3rd row sitting.

At 6'1" I too would prefer a 4R w/o moonroof. In the end it may be a deal breaker for me.
  • whaleyawhaleya Member Posts: 28
    Your dealer can special order the car direct from Toyota. Dealers don't like to do this, and may have to be "prodded" to admit that they can special order the car in a configuration that is not offered in your region.

Since the 4runner is made in Japan, I was quoted 4 months lead time with $2500 off MSRP.

I too am looking at the Limited, with rear air but no moonroof.

I am also looking at the Lexus GX470. It's a few inches higher inside, but the rear door swings to the side instead of up.... and there is the cost....
  • gcmellogcmello Member Posts: 17
    I'm in the very early stage of doing a "special order" for a 2005 SR5 with side and curtain airbags, moonroof without a rear spoiler. Doing this thru AAA Mid-Atlantic auto pruchase program with Koons Arlington Toyota. Best deal I could find at $300 over invoice for SR5/$500 over for Limited. First step was to place the order thru AAA. AAA refer reed me to Koons. I spoke with Koons rep who said call Toyota at 800-331-4331 and plead my case for a special order. Did that and was given a Case Number and told they would contact Koons. Got back to Koons and had to wait a week to hear that Toyota had contacted them and that they had permission to contact Central Atlantic Toyota Regional Office to place the order. Order placed yesterday. Have to wait for OK from CAT. Not quite sure what will happen next. If order accepted, my wait time is 90-120 days for build unless a vehicle is enroute already configured that way which could be redirected to Koons.

I think the key is to call Toyota direct once you find a dealer willing to place an order at a fair price. For me that was Koons.

Gerry
  • naznaz Member Posts: 2
    Like you, I really like the Limited 4Runner, but I cannot live with a moonroof due to the lack of head room.

I had no problems finding a dealer in Phoenix that was willing to special order a V8 Limited at a good price. That was four weeks ago and the dealer still has not received an acceptance of the order from Toyota.
  • rodutrodut Member Posts: 343
    Hi everybody,

About those factory orders:

Do you know what happens if you change your mind and don't want he car anymore ?

Legally can you be forced into buying the vehicle ? If you don't buy, will you have to waive your deposit ? And perhaps pay more in damages to the dealer ?

Cheers
  • coolpop36coolpop36 Member Posts: 65
    Hey rodut...you can walk away free and clear and the dealership has to return your deposit, no questions asked. There will be no penalty, no damages, nothing. The dealership CANNOT force you to buy a vehicle you don't want.

What they'll do is mark it up a bit and simply sell it to someone else.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The return of the deposit may depend on the contract made with the dealer and the laws of your state or province. A dealer may not want to get stuck with a special ordered lime green 4Runner with vinyl floors and red pinstrips. Read the fine print :-)

Check out Any Questions for a Car Dealer? - if you do a discussion search in there, you should find some posts, since this comes up now and then.

Steve, Host
  • timber104timber104 Member Posts: 24
    I have owned 3 Toyota 4Runners, First a 1986 with the fiberglass top, which I rolled (from sliding on Ice)it over on way to work in 1990. The roof stayed intact. The Roll bar worked very well too, the vehicle had 80,000 miles on it. Then went out and bought a 1990 4Runner, the best 4 runner ever made. The New 4 door & V6 made it a great vehicle. The sun roof seemed much larger than the one today. Bought it new for $21,000 and sold it with 70,000 miles on it in 1996 for $16,500 (trade in on Chevy Tahoe). Now in April, bought a 2004 4Runner, there seems to be a lot of the nicer and older things left off this vehicle. The Moon roof had a rattle in it that took a few months to fix, added rubber tubes over cables that operate window. The window controls are not as easy to get to to use. the vehicle gets 16-17 MPG around town, & 21-23 MPH on a trip (better on super unleaded). It is great in 4WD in the snow & mud. The heater controls for for the people in the rear leaves a lot to be desired, at this day and age there should be more than 1 - 12 volt power outlet in the front & rear, with the use of cell phones, GPS, Radar det, etc there should be more. Also, Toyota should made auto on/off head lights standard.

I must admit, that the Tahoe was nice, but the 4Runners are much better built. Spent to much money on repairs of the Chevy, but never on the 4Runners. Now today, my wife feels the 4Runners is much to large for her to drive, so she wants a smaller vehicle that does better on gas. We are looking to buy a Prius. But then again she is 5'4" tall and about 125 pounds & I am 6'7" tall and 240 pounds. Thats why we may differ in what we want or need.

Happy Holidays to all.
  • ghoshghosh Member Posts: 17
    I am in the market for a SUV and considering a 4runner. I am puzzled on one thing: the availability of side/curtain airbags in the SR5 V6 model in the southeast.

According to Edmunds "Price it with options" screen, such an option is not available for SR5 models. The same is true with carsdirect.com, which shows that only limited models have this option.

Some local dealers,however, have SR5 models with side/curtain airbags , according to their online inventory.

Can someone please shed some light on this? Also, what is a "curtain" airbag? Is it OK to carry an infant child in the back seat if the vehicle has curtain airbags for the rear seat?

Many thanks and happy holidays!
  • lynx50lynx50 Member Posts: 7
    I test drove both an 04 and 05 4Runner yesterday. I could discern no difference in the quality of the LCD display for the audio/CD system. In my opinion the visibility/readability of LCD was not good in mid afternoon light conditions - dim/washed out appearance. However, dashboard guages (speedo, tach, fuel guage)were very easy to read in both the 04 and 05.
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Perhaps, RAV4 would meet your needs, as it is available in all-wheel drive, is smaller than 4Runner, and gets better fuel mileage. Prius is quite expensive and is not available in AWD
  • hotelsevenhotelseven Member Posts: 33
    When I come up to a stop sign or stop light, I notice a buzzing sound from the front area of the 4Runner. It lasts for about 3-5 seconds then stops. It sounds like its coming from in front of the steering wheel area, but I cannot be sure. It almost sounds like something scanning somethign (not sure how else to describe it.) Any ideas what that is?
    65stang, I really hesitate to suggest a lubrication interval other than what the manufacturer calls for. The best interval can depend on lots of factors such as heat and dust and stress (due to very high speeds or off-roading) and so I guess it's best to just follow Toyota's recommendations. It's cheap insurance, though it's not much fun to wriggle around under the vehicle.
    hotelseven, I've finally gotten around to paying attention to this, and think I may know what's going on. You're hearing an electric pump recharge the accumulator for your power brakes.

The pump and the accumulator are on the engine side of the firewall, roughly in front of the steering wheel. The accumulator is a small pressure tank, and it stores energy to provide the power brake function and other stuff like ABS and traction control and stability control.

Lots of folks don't realize that the 4Runners no longer use the vacuum brake boosters that have been the standard for so many years. The system is now electrohydraulic, and I suppose that's a good thing overall.

It can cause some strange sounds, though. When the motor activates to recharge the accumulator every few brake cycles, you may hear it. For my 4Runner it's always been a faint hiss that lasts several seconds. It shouldn't be too loud, and I can imagine how it might vary a little from vehicle to vehicle. However if it's too loud or changes significantly, I'd have the brake system looked at. The pump or the accumulator or some other (likely expensive!) part may be failing.
  • chas0215chas0215 Member Posts: 40
    I have a 2003 Limited and have noticed this similar buzzing sound from the first day. I always assumed it was a normal sound related to the electronics of the truck. For what its worth, it never concerned me and it appears to be a normal function (sound) of the truck.
  • eh70eh70 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove a 4 Runner v6 with sport Package, it was a 2005 model with 5-speed over drive Transmission. It had a shake in the steering wheel,tires were 17 inch dunlops, salesman said they would make that go away, however my main concern was engine RPM, at 60 mph this thing was turning about 2500 rpm, felt like it needed another gear. Would someone tell me if thats normal. My present vehicle 99 explorer turns 2000 rpm at 60 mph.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    I have been wondering what that noise was since I purchased my 4Runner. Thanks a ton for the information!!!
  • chriscrashchriscrash Member Posts: 1
    I have the same crack on my windshield. 2004 Sport w/v8.
  • yobow1yobow1 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 2005 SR5/V6 which originally had Dunlops on as the standard tire. After reading many postings about the Dunlops, I had the dealer switch them for Bridgestones before I took possession of the vehicle. I have been upto 90-95 mph without any wheel shimmy. I'm glad I switched to be on the safe side. As for your speed vs the rpm. I took my SR5 upto 2500 rpm and the speed was 85 mph. I had the gear selector in the "D" position (overdrive/5th gear). Are you sure you have your 4Runner in the "D" position versus the "4" position? These gears are right across from one another and this could explain why you're revving so high at 60 mph.
  • sauriasauria Member Posts: 12
    Are Dunlops standard on them?
    I saw Dunlop, Bridgestone and Michelin on the 2005 SR5 models when I was shopping for my 4Runner. Evidentally, Toyota uses these 3 companies for their standard tires on this model.
  • pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    As I remember earlier posts here, some had the dealer swap out tires . I believe the Michelins are the most expensive, and may very well be the best of the 3. My 03 came with Bridgestones. I have almost 26K miles on them and they are not quite 1/2 used up.

I do not run my tires to the wear bars. The first time they start to hydroplane in the rain, they are history.

Santa gave me a flat tire for Christmas. I picked up a piece of glass in the side of my tread. It was flat when I came out to it in my driveway. It was non-repareble. I replaced my spare with the Bridgestone REVO on/off road tire. My spare is now better than my other 4. I don't see all season tires as desirable on a vehicle for off road use.

I am going to all 4 of the REVO when the current tires are worn out. That will be in about a year. I didn't drive for about 2 months because of back surgery. I did go out and run it up to temp a few times in the driveway though.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hi guys, I'm fed up with Ford and my '99 Explorer, and I'm pursuing the Toyota/Nissan venue. Tonight I drove 2 4Runners, an '01 with 59k miles on it, which I liked, and a '99 SR5 Sport that I fell in love with. Only thing is, it has 138k miles on it, but it's "Certified". I know these things are made for 300k, but will it go that far without anything major? I've only got 50k on my '99 Explorer, but it's having problems that one with 100k would be having. Would any of you be leary of buying one and committing to spending 5 years paying for it, if it had 138k miles on it? It's in EXCELLENT shape, and has been babied tremendously. The price on it is pretty good too, $12,650. It's the cheapest 4Runner I've found.

What are the known problems with these, things that happen to most all of them? I heard a kind of knocking sound in the front end and the dealer told me it was "slack in the driveshaft, at the universal joint. Happens to all of them, but won't be a problem." Is this so? Or is he just trying to make a sale? Unfortunately, I can't get an extended warranty on it because of the mileage.

Also, what is the service schedule for 4Runners? For example, my Explorer had to have the transmission fluid changed at 30k. The dealer said that this one was just serviced, new timing chain, water pump, etc. I know it was gone over pretty well since it's "Certified," or at least I'd like to think it would be.

Bottom line, would this be something I can rely on for the next 5 years or better to only have to change the oil and put in gas? Or will major things start happening to it around 150, 175, and 200k? All your comments, suggestions, ect are greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

idntnvu
    Thanks, and your dealer was OK to do that?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can find service schedules for various cars in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve, Host
    You're welcome. The internet salesman was fine with it, but he had to get the OK with the sales manager. The sales manager played hardball, but finally did it. Because the tire sensors needed to be reprogrammed, I had to pay the labor for having them swapped out. It sounds like some people on this forum had them switched for free. I've got about 5,300 miles now on the Bridgestones and really like them. They have no problem whatsoever.
  • qualitymanqualityman Member Posts: 15
    I had a noise in this area and found that it was caused by the center console's lid rubbing against the console's sidewalls/top. I remedied it by placing an 1/8 in. thick felt covered, adhesive strip on each side of the console's sidewalls/top to eliminate the rubbing the noise.
    I've got a '04 V8. Anyone know what causes a spring like sound that randomly occurs when the brakes are touched and the 4 wheel drive is engaged? Only happens in 4 wheel drive mode (4 D). It is very disconcerting.
    I have to echo the prior posted comments about the Bridgestone tires. I've now got 20M miles on the tires and they look good for another 20M+ more. They're very good street tires however I really haven't done any off-roading to speak of.
  • kheintz1kheintz1 Member Posts: 213
    Thanks for the tip-- I'll give this a try.
    I just took delivery of a nice new 2005 V-8 4x4 (Michelin tires :)) and I noticed tonight that the door switches are not illiuminated. SHoul they be? All I see is a faint glow to the AUTO drivers window switch.

Thanks
  • alfster1alfster1 Member Posts: 273
    That is correct. Only the Auto down driver's side light illuminates. There is nothing wrong with your switches. Congrats on your '05 4Runner.
    I noticed that on the '99 I test drove the other day. I thought maybe the light in the passenger switch was out. I do have to give kudos to Toyota (the only other automaker besides VW that I've seen so far) to give both windows auto down AND up.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I'd keep the Explorer or keep shopping. I'm not as confident as you with the 1999, but the 2001 with lower mileage sounds better, especially with an extended warranty.

It's just my opinion, but if you can get a manufacturers extended warranty (if available) instead of an aftermarket ext-warranty you'll have less issues should you ever need to use it.

Pay the $15 or whatever for a CARFAX report. It's worth every penny. Good luck.
    Thanks a bunch. It is a solid truck!
  • dadoftaydadoftay Member Posts: 136
    I drove both a 4Runner and Pathfinder on New Years Eve and I noticed that Nissan lights all of their switches and the dash is far easier to read. It may sound picky but I liked it. Didn't like the Pathfinder ride as much, not as sporty and not as manuverable as the 4Runner.
    Were they brand new or used? And what models? I'm looking at both myself.
  • alwayslearningalwayslearning Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to do some regular maintenance on my 4 runner and had a few questions.

where is the filter located for the interior of the truck?

clunking noise after stopping, it feels like the trans catches up with the stopped vehicle, i was told it was normal.

I would like to do a coolant flush, is it absolutely necessary to put in Toyota coolant, I was told it is a good idea since it is different than aftermarket stuff.

oil changes, I use Mobil 1 due to learning that 4runners have a gunking issue, but I change my oil every 5-7,000 miles, am I doing the right thing?

Tranny fluid; When should I have this flushed and replace filter? How about the 4 wheel drive transfer case, does that hold different fluid?

Plugs; what are some recommended plugs? any aftermarket or stay with Toyota?

Anyother suggestions to lookout for?

Thank you for any and all suggestions

alwayslearning
  • 4runnerfan4runnerfan Member Posts: 6
    Hi everyone. I will be taking the plunge on a 2005 4Runner later this year, but in the meantime, it's time to change the oil in my 2002 4Runner. Although the manual says to use 5w30, the dealers here in Seattle insist on using 10w30. Although it rarely gets below freezing here, I've heard that 5w30 is a better choice, as the thinner oil does a better job lubricating all the intricate engine parts when the engine is cold. Anyone else here this or different stories?

Thanks!
    Yes, I can live with that for this exceptional build quality compared to Nissan or even Honda
    You should use the Toyota recommended oil as should the dealer. Tell them that's what the engineers at Toyota desgined it to use!