Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

15678911»

Comments

• ozeyozey Member Posts: 18
    My 2010 cx9 22k, always feel like an engine break when it shifts down to 4th gear, normal? Always!
  • jackcx9jackcx9 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Rick, I have a 2008 CX9 and I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Have you managed to have it fixed?

My Mazda dealer first said it was the ABS, replaced at $1,451., vibration was still there. Then they said it was the rear drive shaft, replaced at $450, vibration was still there. Told them they don't have a clue, that they are just guessing and got all my money back.
    I'm going to a local independent garage on Monday.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thx
    Jack
  • nursemomnursemom Member Posts: 1
    We had the same exact thing happen last Friday night. The buckling sound and then the smoke. Our mechanic even saw metal in our oil! We are picking up the Mazda tonight and it is under warranty; however, I have been paying out of pocket for a rental car. It is going to cost me $200 through AAA. I don't feel like I should be taking a hit for a KNOWN problem. Any ideas how to approach this with Mazda? All these conversations are making me super nervous about a car I used to love and had NO problems with until this happened. So frustrated!
  • tommorantommoran Member Posts: 1
    Rick,

2010 fwd CX9 with 30,000. Had the exact same symptoms when accellerating lightly at about 40 mph. Took it to the dealer (still under warranty) and they changed the transmission fluid. Has been a week now, and I haven't noticed any more shuddering.

Tom
  • ruthc11ruthc11 Member Posts: 10
    I am have exactly the same issue - 80k miles, vibrating between 3rd & 4th gear and now squeaking/scaping sound coming from under car in drive shaft or wheel area (I think that's where it's coming from). What did you find or figure out? The local dealers seems to be clueless.

Ruth
  • dbncdbnc Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just started having something similar happening. Have you found out what the problem is?
    I had to have it towed to a different dealer today. Seems there is something up with the transmission, some sort of gear box and if the box locks up while moving on the road, we'd like roll. Not looking forward to hearing the final diagnosis on Monday but I will be fixing and trading this car in sooner rather than later.

Just to be clear here's what has been happening with my car: about a month ago, the car was dead and we replaced the battery. While it was in the shop, I had them do the routine service that was due and rotate the tires. As I was driving away from the service dealer, I noticed that there was a slight vibration between 30-40 mph as I drove and a scraping sound in the front right wheel area. I took it back the next day and he said the drive shaft was going bad. Nothing I needed to fix right now but that it was out of warranty (I'm at 80k). I leave without fixing and as the weeks have progressed, the noise gets louder and begins to sound like a screw that's not oiled but very loud. After several days, I call a new dealer service provider and get the bad news that it's like a major transmission issue and the car is unsafe to drive the 10 minutes to the dealer. (Note I've been driving the car with my three small children daily for weeks now.)

Ugh..
  • carl_in_ctcarl_in_ct Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    I had the exact same issue as staggs4 start about a week ago with the wierd noise behind the dash. It seemed intermittent and although it behaved sort of like a bad wheel bearing since it only happened on the right front when steering left, it didn't sound or feel like a wheel bearing. So I played with it and figured out that it only happens when the fan is on, no matter if the a/c or heat was on or not, it was the fan that mattered. Then I listened more closely and noticed the sound of water sloshing around from behind the dashboard. I brought it to a dealer today. He said he has seen this several times before (though not with a CX-9) and was confident it is just water in the heater box. When I turn left it is sending the water trapped in the heater box to the right and hitting the fan. He said it's an easy fix, they just have to clean out the drain hole and let the water out and it should be fine. They do have to take the wheel off and remove the wheel well plastic so it's still a $99 fee but that's a whole lot better than a few thousand for major front end problem. I hope that's really all it is, I'll let you know when I get the car back.
  • carl_in_ctcarl_in_ct Member Posts: 2
    OK, they did the car same day and I picked it up last night. Seems fine, the noise is definitely gone. They said the drain from the heater box was clogged with pollen, small bits of old leaves, stuff like that so it was full of water. I guess they had to pull the passenger front wheel and the plastic part inside the wheel well off to get at the drain hole. So for $99 I can't complain, a lot better than a couple thousand on major front end and/or drive train problems. I'm pretty releived as the car is back to normal so far.
    My issue seems to require a drive shaft replacement and some fixes to some worn parts in the wheel. $2000 later I hope to get my car back this Friday.
  • 2013cx92013cx9 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I've already taken the car to the dealer once, but they couldn't replicate both issues... it was cool out and raining. Plan to take the car back soon for a second look.
    1) Driver side A/C: We've only had the car 6 months and it just started getting warmer here. As a result, didn't need the A/C until now. Long story short, driver side air blows warm to slightly cool air while both passenger side and rear are getting cold air. The situation seems to improve after about thirty minutes driving.
    2) The car produces what I can only describe as a rubbing noise at slow speeds when turning right. This doesn't happen all the time and I haven't been able to figure out how to reproduce the sound.

One more problem while I'm at it: I feel like there is significant resistance around 35mph when I take my foot off the gas pedal. The car doesn't coast, it slows down significantly. This normal behavior?

Thanks in advance.
    Here's an update but note the original issues were: about a month ago, the car was dead and we replaced the battery. While it was in the shop, I had them do the routine service that was due and rotate the tires. As I was driving away from the service dealer, I noticed that there was a slight vibration between 30-40 mph as I drove and a scraping sound in the front right wheel area. I took it back the next day and he said the drive shaft was going bad. Nothing I needed to fix right now but that it was out of warranty (I'm at 80k). I leave without fixing and as the weeks have progressed, the noise gets louder and begins to sound like a screw that's not oiled but very loud. After several days, I call a new dealer service provider and get the bad news that it's like a major transmission issue and the car is unsafe to drive the 10 minutes to the dealer.

Findings: drive shaft replaced for a "known drive shaft failure issue" by Mazda; transfer case issues, bearings in a wheel broken (told they've never seen this happen before) and now the brake booster has to be replaced (also a known issue by Mazda as near as I can read). The local dealer who has the car is handling it but I'm clearly going to be out of pocket a couple of thousand dollars for "known issues" by Mazda. One remaining issue is that my tires have worn unevenly so they need to be replaced too or I'll cause my "back end" to go out.

Look, I'm not a car nut. I expect it to run properly and I expect the maker to appropriately warranty their work. That's not what's happening and I'm very disappointed in Mazda USA customer service as they say this is just normal wear and tear and they won't even take the complaint any further. Keep in mind, I've been driving around in an unsafe car for months now (as the original dealer service people said it was fine to drive) and putting my kids and me at risk. Not cool Mazda. I know 8 people who drive this car (same year and model) in my immediate vicinity. I'll be passing on my knowledge and learnings. Most of what everyone seems to describe above seems to fit into the drive shaft, transfer case and brake booster issues I've seen occur in my car.
  • dan302dan302 Member Posts: 1
    So disappointed to be reading all these posts as the same thing just happened to my 2009 CX-9. The car started shuddering and making loud clanking noises and stalled right in the middle of the road. Thank goodness I was on a rural road and not a highway as I had my three year old in the back seat! After reading all this, I contacted Mazda and we are waiting to see if they will cover any/all of the repairs since its not under warranty anymore. ugh, how has this problem not be recalled!
    I would love to hear what Mazda tells you and I'm not under warranty either and they (Maxda USA) basically told me to take a hike.
  • jddcjddc Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    We have a CX9 2012 with 15,000 miles, 9 months old. First owners. Full and extended warranty. Could not ask for better right? Surprise!!!!
    Everything OK until last week. Out of the blue the a pungent fresh gasoline smell made it to the inside of the cabin while driving on highway. It lasted several minutes and we stopped in panic after realizing it was not coming from the old Econoline in front of us. Husband went under the car, checked nothing was leaking. I opened the hood and it was like opening a can of rotten eggs! Now the raw gasoline smell is mostly gone but the rotten egg smell happens sporadically and its intensity varies too. The dealer checked the car yesterday and concluded nothing was wrong, and that the smell is normal (WHAT? a 2012 model at almost $40,000 ???). He used a document issued by Mazda document recommending the following :

- Refill the car with good quality gasoline and drive 100 miles. We did that and nothing has changed.

- Do not drive short distances. We were driving on highway for 8 hours stretches when this started. So, I guess.... Moreover, what do regular people want their car for when they live in the suburbs? 2-5 mile drives to stores and soccer fields. Right? Therefore, I asked Mazda USA (in California) to clarify what short distance means since it is their document. They refused to clarify and passed on the responsibility to do so to the dealer. I have not asked him yet but I imagine what his answer will be.

- Avoid quick acceleration

After reading the recommendations I told the dealer what I wrote above: basically I fulfill the recommendations before taking it to the dealer's: filled-it with Shell, drove after that over 150 miles, all on highway, mostly using the cruise control so no sudden acceleration happened, and yet ROTTEN EGG SMELL!!!!!! The dealer said take it, observe it, bring it back so that we check it again and maybe we will contact Mazda directly. That is what my extended warranty bought me? Additional trips to convince the dealer to take action?
    For now I am keeping the name of the dealer to myself. Will be public tomorrow if they give the same story again after a second check-up. I do not get why when the car is under full and extended warranty the dealer is covering Mazda's a... And Mazda, what kind of explanation is that? Please stand for your product! Mazda tends to make excellent cars so a few flukes here and there should be taken care of and not denied. Or, is it because Mazda is aware that this is just the tip of the iceberg? By the way, there a number of Mazda models included in that list of recommendations. Not only the CX9. So yeah, it looks like Mazda is trying to convince the stupid user that rotten egg smell in a very new vehicle is normal. How trendy, how sexy! Maybe the objective is to force us roll-down the windows rain or shine to make sure the other cars can hear the sound system that commes with the car. Yes, and that is normal!
  • ozeyozey Member Posts: 18
    I took my 2011 CX9 to the dealer because when I put it in reverse, from park, I hear a click under the car. He told me he hears the click in all gears, but can't say why. He gave me a rental and kept the car, until he figures out the problem? Any Suggestions?
    Depending on where the click is coming from, I'd suggest its the transfer case (I've read similar posts to what you're describing) or the brake bearing is the noise is coming from the wheel.
  • hala1hala1 Member Posts: 1
    I have been interested in buying this vehicle used a 2008, but now I see all these reviews and am second guessing. I looked at other consumer reports and the rate is excellent says the car has minor issues, are these problems only with the '08 or all of them. As far as I see they didn't change much on the vehicle. I mean some people say they love it and some hate it. I am so confused. I love this car I test drove it runs great beautiful condition but now I leary.
    I loved mine but hated the $4200 repair bill on issues Mazda USA and the dealers acknowledge are 'known'. I also didn't appreciate Mazda's 'your SOL' attitude. I spent $4200 just to trade it in for a Mercedes GLK (2011).
  • bberkebberke Member Posts: 26
    So my wife takes the SUV to a paintless dent repair and within an hour the tech states that now the radio , back up, dome light, fob and camera stopped working. WTH. He did say the fob was in his back pocket next to his cell phone, but she has it near the phone all the time.

Is it a code issue and does anyone know the codes if they think it is related to this.
  • mshafer955mshafer955 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with what feels like shuddering at between 30-40mph. Wife found that ifs she uses manual mode it does not happen. Seems to be in Auto mode only so could be software issue. Tranny fluid looks good. Fuse was good as well. WE ARE LISTENING.
    If it's only happening in automode, that might suggest you have the bad transfer case issue...but I'm not sure.
  • life_carlife_car Member Posts: 2
    Same issue on mine 2011 Mazda Cx-9 some sort of gas smell .. pretty much same answer from Mazda dealer ..
  • life_carlife_car Member Posts: 2
    I've same issue 2011 Mazda CX-9 GT .. Same issue when in reverse, drop it @ Mazda dealer , they have order parts will be given me in few days, they say it's not derivable condition it may damage more so we can't give you back, as I didn't have any other car, and strange they don't give loaner or anything on their problem luckily few thousand left on warranty ! .. that's crazy.. car runs gr8 but what's the point if these kind of issue!
  • tommybookstommybooks Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Can anyone help with this one
  • cx9rocklincx9rocklin Member Posts: 1
    Same EXACT issue with my wife's 2008 CX9. I can root this back to around the same time we had the tranny fluid changed by a non-dealer location i think. My regular mechanic said that they know the CX-9 is picky on the type of fluid used. I have not had time to take it in yet to check it out at the dealer or go back to the place that did the work. Any updates from you on your situation? Please email me if you can.
    The update for me is that Mazda (USA and two local dealers) have acknowledged they have problems with the drive shaft, transfer case and brake bearing but as my car is outside of their 60k mile warranty, I'm out of luck and out of $4,200. I had to fix it just to get it to the point so I could trade it. No more Mazda's for me. These are clearly safety issues and everyone I talk to locally with the CX-9 have similar issues. I've talked to may 25 people in the last 60 days and all are various stages of exactly the same problem. Sorry, wish I could offer you better news.
  • boosted90boosted90 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 CX-9 and the whine in 6th gear began at about 30,000 miles. Like everyone else posting here, it starts at 42 mph. I clearly is not a wind or speed issue because if you downshift while going 42 mph from 6th to 5th, the noise goes away. The dealer went for a test drive with me and says he is going to contact Mazda but it's been a month now and nothing has happened. Can anyone please give me an update on this issue? Has anyone received satisfaction?
  • jackcx9jackcx9 Member Posts: 2
    Mazda CX9 vibration (when shifting into 4th gear) finally fixed no thanks to Mazda techs who were just guessing all the time. They replaced the ABS and then the rear drive shaft, vibration was still there, got all my money back.
    Finally went to independent garage who agreed it is a transmission problem, and asked if I have had my transmission serviced recently. Told I had a few months ago "at Mazda", he asked how much I paid, told him it was $180., he said that was pretty cheap and suspected they put in the wrong transmission fluid. Couldn't prove it, but he said Mazda CX9 auto transmissions are "high end units" (like BMW. Mercedes etc) and require high end fluid. Cost should be in the $250. range. He recommended putting the correct fluid in, I agreed. The vibration has disappeared and it shifts gears perfectly. Told Mazda, haven't had a reply yet!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Feel free to write up a service review about your experience.
  • phil152phil152 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    I think this is a new one. While backing up, it just went dead. Nothing obvious. No unusual warning lights. Restarted on first try. And has run okay since. But very strange - any ideas??
  • magzrmagzr Member Posts: 2

I have a 2010 CX-9 and experienced a vibration this weekend while driving at about 40 miles/hr. It seemed like the car was struggling tto get to speed 6 from 5. When I shifted to manual the problem was not as apparent. The check engine light flashed on/off. Car has 60K on it. Just had it serviced last week!! Took it to the dealer and waiting for the phone call. Luckily I purchased extended warranty on this car (valid upto 100K miles) since this is my first Mazda. Wondering about the quality now if this is the situation at 60K.

• magzrmagzr Member Posts: 2

@charron6 - I just posted about my experience with a 2010 CX-9. I think I may have a transmission or transfer case issue too. Will let you know what I find out from the shop.

• cx9dancx9dan Member Posts: 3

Urge folks not to purchase CX-9. Purchased 2008 and has had many problems, some of them well known to mazda but not covered! For example, recently our air conditioner blower filled with water -- which was coming in thru air-vents. This problem is well known to Mazda and published by mechanic web-sites (I have copies of the bulletins published before I even purchased the car! -- it's a simple design flaw -- but mazda pretends it doesn't exist -- you are on your own with mazda!! DO NOT PURCHASE MAZDA CX-9!

• buckeyefan_1buckeyefan_1 Member Posts: 2

Just got our 2011 CX 9 GT back from the dealer. The transfer case failed at 41k miles. It's a well known problem. Our dealership is new, and they've already replaced 15-20 transfer cases. The mechanic told me there's not enough room in the case for proper synthetic fluid, and it overheats. It's more prevalent in city driving, but can and will happen eventually. Mazda paid the dealership $890 for the replacement and labor, but out of pocket, I was told it would have been $1200 or more. They've extended the warranties on transfer cases on CX 9's to 7 years and 90,000 miles, so keep that in mind if you are having issues with clunking or shifting issues. I asked the tech what other issues to look out for, and he said the moon roof has a drain that goes down through the front A pillar. If we hear sloshing, it's a clogged drain, and to take it in.

• jrennijrenni Member Posts: 4
    rick254 said:

Hi,

We have a 2008 CX-9 with about 85,000 miles on it. Approximately 10,000 miles ago it started exhibiting the following symptoms:

When going about 30-40 mph under very light load (level or slightly downhill), when the transmission is showing it is in 4th gear, the car will vibrate slightly when you put light pressure on the accelerator. The feeling is very much like running over mild rumble strips on the road. If you accelerate more aggressively, it runs smoothly/normally. If you put the transmission in manual mode, it will not display these symptoms - only when in automatic mode.

This started out very subtlety - my wife would point it out to me and I couldn't even notice it. But over time it has gotten more and more pronounced.

Again - only seems to happen when going between 30-40 mph in 4th gear under light load and when light acceleration.

Any idea what this is or what I should do about it? The transmission fluid has never been changed. My wife did take it to a Mazda dealer some months ago but all he said was "it's the transmission" and indicated it would cost about $2500 to repair. He also didn't seem to think it was anything that could suddenly get worse and let us stranded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick

Hi Rick my 2008 is doing the same thing. I took it to our local Auto shop and they said a coil had to be replaced. It cost me $500 and then about a week later the same thing started to happen, We dont trust our dealership to be honest with us so we never go there, Did you ever find out what went wrong with your car? Any advice would help us, Thank you
    Jess
    jackcx9 said:

Hi Rick, I have a 2008 CX9 and I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Have you managed to have it fixed?

My Mazda dealer first said it was the ABS, replaced at $1,451., vibration was still there. Then they said it was the rear drive shaft, replaced at $450, vibration was still there. Told them they don't have a clue, that they are just guessing and got all my money back.
    I'm going to a local independent garage on Monday.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thx
    Jack

Jack I am experiencing the same problem with my car. did you ever find out what is wrong with your car? Please help!!!!!!!I refuse to take it to the dealer!!!!
    Jess
  • 2012cx92012cx9 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2014
    I am looking for some information on my 2012 CX-9 which has 7,000 miles on it. To provide some context, it had the symptoms of the widespread PTU (power transfer unit) problem, with oil leaking on the garage floor at around 6,000 miles. The dealer replaced the PTU under warranty. Since then, a new problem has started which manifests itself sometimes, not always. I hear a shudder with a clunk/thunk at the rear (underneath the car) when

1. The car starts and accelerates.
    2. I release the gas pedal and then press back while still being in 1st or 2nd gear (e.g., if I need to slow down while going uphill or taking a turn just after starting) .

This seems to happen exactly when the power re-engages to the rear wheels (after dis-engaging when I released the gas pedal). This doesn't happen always but when it does, this is the symptom. The dealer is unable to diagnose the problem. Has somebody seen this problem? Any help would be much appreciated.
  • halflife2halflife2 Member Posts: 8
    jrenni said:

rick254 said:

Hi,

We have a 2008 CX-9 with about 85,000 miles on it. Approximately 10,000 miles ago it started exhibiting the following symptoms:

When going about 30-40 mph under very light load (level or slightly downhill), when the transmission is showing it is in 4th gear, the car will vibrate slightly when you put light pressure on the accelerator. The feeling is very much like running over mild rumble strips on the road. If you accelerate more aggressively, it runs smoothly/normally. If you put the transmission in manual mode, it will not display these symptoms - only when in automatic mode.

This started out very subtlety - my wife would point it out to me and I couldn't even notice it. But over time it has gotten more and more pronounced.

Again - only seems to happen when going between 30-40 mph in 4th gear under light load and when light acceleration.

Any idea what this is or what I should do about it? The transmission fluid has never been changed. My wife did take it to a Mazda dealer some months ago but all he said was "it's the transmission" and indicated it would cost about $2500 to repair. He also didn't seem to think it was anything that could suddenly get worse and let us stranded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick

Hello Rick. I am a Mazda master technician. I have been with Mazda 25 yrs. and have delt with almost any problem know to mazdas. You issue specific applies to the operation of the torque converter in your transmission. I noticed your 9 has about 85k and you said you have never serviced the fluid. Many people will tell you that trans fluid services are not recommended but remember that as all fluids go through constant thermal cycling, there is a breakdown occurring and with trans fluid the friction modifiers fall away and wear will certainly occur. Your mazda takes a specific fluid #jws3309 and that fluid is the only fluid that should be used. Unfortunately in the case of your vehicle, the problem will not go away. The feeling your getting is from torque converter chatter during application. You will notice it about 4 gear on the dash between 30 to 40. I have replaced several transmissions specifically for this problem. Sorry the news can't be better but remember that in the future, change your trans fluid at least by 50k. P.s I am already dealing with trans issues w/ 2014/2015 Mazda 6 and when I look at the fluid coming out of these transmissions,I can already see the breakdown in the fluid. They use a type FZ fluid that is blue but when I take this stuff out of transmissions at 10 k miles it's already broken down to a dark gold.
  • sebr0d1e1sebr0d1e1 Member Posts: 1
    halflife2,

I have had the same problem as Rick with my wife's 2009 CX9 (has 99+K miles on it, but the issue started several thousand miles back when my wife first reported the issue, and has steadily worsened over time), and our vehicle has spent the last 2 months in the shop with the dealership (who have provided us with a loaner) attempting to determine the cause/subsequent resolution for it.

I can recreate the problem at will when I'm driving; anywhere between 35-45 mph, 4th-6th gear (and on occasion going up a steep hill under 35mph, but in 4th gear), with a light throttle application (like giving it a little gas to maintain speed up a hill, or to keep up with the flow of traffic) the car behaves as Rick described, sounding like traveling over rumble strips, but feeling like its having a problem grabbing the next gear. When I get a good one, it feels like someone has hit or kicked the back of the vehicle.

I've had the Master Tech, Service Advisor and Service Mgr all ride with me at various times, and all have experienced and acknowledged the problem. My SA, a former mechanic himself with 11yrs experience, who happened to be riding behind me at the time, indicated he could feel the 'clunking' and 'jerking' (which feels to me like transmission slippage from driver's seat) right underneath his feet (i.e. behind the driver's seat). That's why I originally took the car in for service when I noticed the problem (my wife, the DD of the car, had noticed waaaay before me, but it was a here-there thing; once the problem exacerbated, she had me drive it, and that's when I noticed it as well), because I thought it was a transmission issue.

At this point, I'm not even sure its the transmission, and I can tell you, it ain't something a fluid change can fix, as the following attempts have been made to fix the problem:
    *replaced transmission (three new (i.e. rebuilt) 3rd party trans and 1 new Mazda-sourced Aisin trans failed to
    resolve)
    *all transmission fluids were drained, flushed and refilled
    *replacement of TCM/PCM; these were also updated before replacement was attempted.
    *removal of driveshaft (its AWD Touring model) during which issue still occurs.
    *there was one other thing they fixed that was broken on the back end of the vehicle, which they noticed during a thorough examination, but I can't remember what it was they fixed.

As for the transfer case, that was replaced about six months before I took the car in for this issue, as my dealership went ahead and replaced it via TSB (or recall, not sure which) since they knew there was a problem for existing TFCs, and I already had it in the shop for an oil change (didn't cost me anything since I had the superlative Ford Extended Warranty which has been a gift from God!).

After each attempt to resolve the problem using the methods indicated above, I've test driven the vehicle and each time I drive it, the problem is still there. I've even gotten to the point that I now have a route mapped out for me to test drive it that includes flat surfaces, hill and curves (this problem is easiest to replicate for me going up hills, or up hills with curves in them).

I wish replacing the transmission was the solution as we'd already have our car back and be in good shape (the transmission replacement comes with a 2-year extended warranty from FEW company), but that hasn't proven to be the case. We are still looking for a solution, which is how I found this thread when searching for a way to contact Mazda TE myself (dealership has engaged them, but they keep telling the dealership to replace the transmission...). If we ever get it figured out, I'll follow up with a post on the solution so others can be armed with the knowledge if required!
  • gpomjr2gpomjr2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone figured out this rumble/vibration? I pinpointed to the rear but not sure what.Any suggestions?
  • Jay MorrisJay Morris Member Posts: 1
    I Purchased a 2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring in July 2008. Ordered it from the factory and had it delivered to DC where we picked it up and started our journey to San Antonio TX. I researched the vehicle pretty heavily, I was looking at the Honda Pilot, Volvo XC90, and the Mazda CX-9. We ultimately went with the Mazda. The price for what we got and the ride pretty much sold the vehicle. Well, 7 years later and 93,245 miles on it it has failed us. The water pump failed at 91,800 miles. For those of you who don't know, this motor has an internal water pump. It is housed inside the timing housing which is where the timing chain and a lot of oil is located. The coolant went into the oil pan, causing the engine to overheat and we had to tow the vehicle home about 100 miles. I decided to have the water pump replaced, even though it cost ~$2,200.00. We drove the vehicle about 1,000 miles then had the oil changed and coolant system checked out. We were told by the dealership that the engine was running good and all the fluids looked good. So, we decided to take the vehicle on our family vacation. Our vacation destination was around 500 miles away. The vehicle seemed to be running fine until the return trip. About half way home the vehicle started to overheat on a steep incline. We then lost power, because something had broke loose. Making the assumption that the water pump failed again, because we experienced the same symptoms as the first time. The motor began to make a very loud noise, sounded like a "rod knocking". I returned "towed" the vehicle to the place of repair approximately 250 miles from where we broke down. The dealership believes there is a "rod knocking", I'm sure internal engine damage probably occurred after the first water pump failed. Now, I have a car that I can't drive without replacing the motor.
    When I first purchased the vehicle, I was very pleased with the fit and finish and performance of the vehicle, but I can't believe that less than 100,000 miles that this engine failed.
  • beradberad Member Posts: 31
    I have a 2010 CX9 AWD Touring. Has anyone had an issue with the driver side door lock actuator? Right now all the doors (except the driver's door) lock and unlock with the remote fob or the unlock/lock button. The driver's door can only be unlocked and locked manually (with the key or moving the interior lock).

The electric motor in the door (actuator) has been anemic in performance for a few months and just seems like its finally died.

I had the car in the dealer today for regular service. The tech said he would need an hour to diagnose, perhaps its something cheaper than the actuator. Rather than pay a tech an hour to play around - should I just pony up and pay $339 I was quoted to replace the actuator ? I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and any insights.
  • timbarrrtimbarrr Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 CX9 and have to replace the transfer case twice. The first was within 4 years and still under warrantee, and the second was 2 years later that was not covered. I have contacted Mazda USA & they said there is nothing that they can offer me as this is not a defect. Clearly they have not read or choose to read all the posting that this is a recurring issue. I have been a Mazda owner for 18 years and will make me reconsider for how much longer.
  • jjsuv2015jjsuv2015 Member Posts: 6
    hey guys I'm new here i was told that mazda parts are hard to find is it true ? torn between buying a reliable highlander and a goodlooking cx9,,,
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,738
    jjsuv2015 said:

hey guys I'm new here i was told that mazda parts are hard to find is it true ? torn between buying a reliable highlander and a goodlooking cx9,,,

Not true... in any shape or form

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• baldman1baldman1 Member Posts: 2
    please help, my park lights will not work on my 2007 mazda cx-9 but my hazards and turn signals do work fine. what could that be?
  • AndiAndi Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,

I just got a new CX-9 with Mazda’s rear-seat Entertainment System. Biggest problem I have with the system is an audio delay while playing DVDs. It’s more than a second which is more annoying than one would think when you watch a movie. 
    Here’s how the system works: DVD plays on monitor B which is mirrored to monitor A which has the audio connection to AUX. When playing media on the two screens individually things are ok, still a bit of a delay but not too bad. What I realized is that when a DVD is played the audio on monitor B is louder. I assume that means there is a separate amplifier involved when the DVD player is involved. That’s probably cause number one for the delay. Secondly I assume that mirroring content from monitor B to A causes another delay. Lastly, I assume the car’s amplifier adds another delay since the audio is fed from monitor A into AUX. It just seems to me that this is a cheap system, not well tested it maybe it wasn’t installed correctly? Does anyone have any thoughts?

This basically renders watching DVDs impossible, which was the main reason why we got the entertainment system in the first place. Since it is a factory-installed system and a new package offered by Mazda I believe that Mazda should be held accountable to correct this issue. Thoughts?

Cheers. Andreas