Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Noises and Sounds

Comments

• sjthomassjthomas Member Posts: 61
    edited July 2010
    I see a lot of grinding noise coming from the rear of my 2005 CR-V even at low speeds. I observe this noise when the car moves irrespective of it' speed. At higher speeds its troublesome.

I took it to the mechanic and he replaced the rear differential fluid. This didn't help the grinding noise to go away. It's still there. The tires have about 50K on them now and they are the stock bridgestones when I bought it 5 years ago.

Not sure if this is tread wear or alignment problem or any other suspension issue. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    I see a lot of grinding noise coming from the rear of my 2005 CR-V even at low speeds. I observe this noise when the car moves irrespective of it' speed. At higher speeds its troublesome.

I took it to the mechanic and he replaced the rear differential fluid. This didn't help the grinding noise to go away. It's still there. The tires have about 50K on them now and they are the stock bridgestones when I bought it 5 years ago.

Not sure if this is tread wear or alignment problem or any other suspension issue. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

If you live anywhere where there is snow, you need to clean brake caliper sliding pins after snowey season and lubricate with Molykote-77, as per Honda.

Even if you don't live where it snows, it is probably a good idea to service your brakes at least once a year.

Chances are that one of you rear caliper sliding pins is stuck due to lack of lubrication and probably have siezed by now, wearing the brake pad down to metal, and digging into the rotor.

If you are lucky, rotor may be resurfaced, and just replacement pin. In the worst case scenario, you will need to replace the rotor, caliper, braket, pins, and new brake pads.

Good luck.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Member Posts: 146
    Most tires with 5 years and 50k miles on them are probably due for replacement. The rubber gets harder with time and can eventually start wearing unevenely or even chuncking.

Most OEM tires are ready for repalcement after 20k-30k miles if you live in an area with a lots of snow and need traction. I'll probably replace mine at around 20k.

With less trea the car also hydroplanes early as well and harder rubber has a lot less traction in colder weather.

Better to replace early than get into an accident.
    My 2005 CR-V EX AWD has the same issue of ringing noise occasionally coming up when giving gas.

It is the heat sink shield that becomes looooose. My mechanic fixes it and it comes back after some time. One of my friend's acura TL had the same problem.

He just had to screw it in so that it doesn't vibrate anymore....At least that is what my friend did to his TL.

HTH. Next time when you go to a mechanic ask him to check the heat shield.
  • llorenzollorenzo Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2008 crv, 37k and have the same noise when turning.
    went to the dealer, they advised to flush rear diff.i went to my mechanic, he didn't think that was necessary and noticed low level in power steering fluid, he filled it up and i pump up my tyres - were a bit low and this has improved a bit.
  • hwayne99hwayne99 Member Posts: 3
    Someone who knows next to nothing about cars needs help. I am hearing a rubbing/grinding noise from the right wheel tire area whenever I make a left turn. Any thoughts?
    Someone who knows next to nothing about cars needs help. I am hearing a rubbing/grinding noise from the right wheel tire area whenever I make a left turn. Any thoughts?

Is it front or rear right wheel?

Can you look under/behind the wheel and see if something is stuck there. I have seen people driving with orange cones stuck in wheel wells.
    Thanks for responding. It is the right rear tire and as far as I can see there is nothing stuck up there.
    Thanks for responding. It is the right rear tire and as far as I can see there is nothing stuck up there.

There could be a few culprits.

1) When was rear differential fluid changed, and with what? You can only use Honda DPF, DPF II, or Showa Dual Pump Fluid in there. Since Showa does not sell retail in the US, Honda DPF/DPF II are your only choices.

2) When were brakes serviced? Honda recommends at least once a year brake cleaning to prevent the sliding calipers from binding. If you live in a snow/rust belt, then I would do this twice a year. In the spring after the last snow fall, and in the fall before winter sets. Honda recommends using Molukote-77 as lubricant.
    I will check these possibilities out. I appreciate your insight. Thanks alot!
  • brix1brix1 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2006 CR-V. I noticed that I can change the sound by pushing and pulling on the roof by the front seat interior lights. Took the car to Honda and they put some insulation up there, but they didn't think it would work. And it didn't. They told me to take it to an auto body shop to see if there was anything they could do. Hoping to do that tomorrow, but would love to know if you found an answer. Thanks!
  • sdcaguysdcaguy Member Posts: 3
    I have a Honda 2004 CR-V and I've noticed for the past 6-8 months some kind of squeek/squeeling sound coming from the dash or somewhere in the left front console of the car. It's kind of like a high pitched hydrolic/air release sound that makes the noise and then stops. It's difficult to duplicate when I purposely try. But it usually happens at low speeds or even sitting idle at a stoplight. So I thought maybe it has something to do with the A/C. But I had the A/C looked at by the dealership and they said it was good. My brakes are in great shape. I put new tires on the car about 1.5 years ago. Does anyone have any ideas what this squeeking noise in warm weather could be?!?!?!
    I hope it's not the grrrrrrr sound that comes from the lose heat sink. My 2005 CR-V has this problem. The heat sink always vibrates and I take it to a mechanic and he pushes it back. I think next time when it comes, I am going to screw it so that it doesn't make any more noise.
  • sdcaguysdcaguy Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for responding! It's definitely not a grrrr or grinding sound at all. It really is more like a high pitched hydrolic squeel or air release something or other in the front cabin. Would that "grrrrrr" sound happen when you're stopped at a stop light? Its baffling to me. I have a feeling it might be something with the AC compressor since that's a known defect with our cars...but the AC is still cold and runs fine. I've turned it on and off with no sounds to it at all.
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    hi, a friend of mine has a 2003 crv awd, she recently had a flat tire and had 2 tires replaced. when she is on the freeway she hears what sounds like a flat tire noise now and has gotten out to see if she indeed has one. any ideas of what it could be? this crv has been a real lemon for her unlike the others she has had. any help would be appreciated
    hi, a friend of mine has a 2003 crv awd, she recently had a flat tire and had 2 tires replaced. when she is on the freeway she hears what sounds like a flat tire noise now and has gotten out to see if she indeed has one. any ideas of what it could be? this crv has been a real lemon for her unlike the others she has had. any help would be appreciated

Your friend's OWNER's MANUAL recommends replacing all 4 tires, or putitng new tires in the front. The way AWD system operates, difference in tire circumference between new and old, and even new tires from different manufacturer's trigger the AWD.

Also, the AWD fluid needs to be replaced on the regular basis. There is no aftermarket fluid, Honda's Dual Pump Fluid or Dual Pump Fluid II are the only choices.
  • jtbeckejtbecke Member Posts: 4
    My 2003 is having this issue where it sounds like the brakes need very badly to be changed, but the pads are all fine and the car stops great. The sound started off happening only when the brakes were applied, but now it does it much more frequently and makes an awful noise when i go in reverse. I was told it could just be something stuck under a brake pad, but it seems like more than this. Please help!
    thanks,
  • pegg16pegg16 Member Posts: 7
    I have been totally annoyed by a high pitched whine on my CRV for quite a while. the performance of the car is not affected. just today I noticed that the noise begins anywhere from 30-40 mph and will sound when giving it gas or just as i take my foot off the gas pedal. then I tried taking it out of overdrive and wallah! no noise. I called Honda fishing around for some insight and Mike said maybe it is my differential. would rather have a better idea BEFORE i take it to Honda. Anyway wanted to share this with youl
  • lablover2lablover2 Member Posts: 115
    she had the other 2 tires replaced last year and she matched the 2 new ones to those. she had someone look at it and they said it is her ball joint causing the problem.
    My 2003 is having this issue where it sounds like the brakes need very badly to be changed, but the pads are all fine and the car stops great. The sound started off happening only when the brakes were applied, but now it does it much more frequently and makes an awful noise when i go in reverse. I was told it could just be something stuck under a brake pad, but it seems like more than this. Please help!
    thanks,

In order to diagnose one or the other, you will need to remove the wheels. There is a sign window on top of the caliper, peek into it and see how much material is left on the brake pad.

The squeal could come from the brake wear sensors, which is meant to alert you that you have reached the end of the brake pad life, and they need to be replaced. Braking is not affcted until the material is work off completely.

Brake pad replacement at an independant shop should be about $150, ($40-$80 if you do the work your self)

However, if you don't address the problem, then the backing plate, once the brake pad material has worn off, will gouge the rotors, or the piston in the caliper will fall out. Either way you are looking at triple or quadruple the repair cost. Get it repaired now, rather than later!!!
  • beee1beee1 Member Posts: 1
    pegg16 -
    I have a similar high-pitched whine noise, and would really like to know what it is. It sounds like the power steering pump when the car is stationary in neutral, but when I am out on the highway at 130km/h it is like you say, gone when out of overdrive.
    Transmission? Alternator? power steering?
    2003 crv 150kkm. Car runs great in all other respects.
    puzzling
    HI beee1 Just yesterday I noticed that the noise does not occur at all when it is damp and rainy out. I am also beginning to think it doesn't start until the car has been running for about 10 minutes but this needs further exploration. I don't want to bring it into Honda for them to go on a expensive fishing expedition without as much info to give them as possible. My car has115,000+ and I love it except for this.
  • henry909henry909 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 CRV with 6000 miles. When I drive over 50mph, I hear an annoying chirping sound from what seems to be the air vents. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?
    thanks.
  • mike524mike524 Member Posts: 1
    Our CR-V has intermittent "whooping" noise, Occurs at varying times and seems related to brakes and possibly letting up (releasing them). No apparent issued with brake performance at this time. Thanks
  • qinsong99qinsong99 Member Posts: 20
    I am really disappointed on my 2010 CRV, which was made in Japan but has been in shop multiple times. The car has several assembly issues: right strut rattling, lossen driver seat and annoying noise (intermitent) on sharp right turn. I brought the car to the dealer many times, the rattling noise and the losen driver seat were fixed, but no answer for the right turn noise. The noise started when the car has around 6000 miles on the odometer. I almost lost hope of fixing this issue and am considering trade it in for a different brand. Does anyone on this board has any clue? Many thanks.
  • peapod1peapod1 Member Posts: 1
    My car makes dragging noises while driving. The noise stops when I take my foot off the gas but does it again when I accelerate. This might happen a few times. It usually happens when I am driving at speeds between 25-35 miles per hour. It doesn't happen when I turn so I don't know if that excludes it from being a rear differential problem.

Any ideas??
  • carpinskicarpinski Member Posts: 2
    I've heard the same noise. It is like a strap slapping metal. Here is what I think it is. It only happens for me in strong wind and especially cross wind. There is a little plastic mud flap to the front of the rear tire. I think that is flapping in strong winds. That is the only thing I can see under the car that looks like wind would make it move.

I've heard this on two CRVs. Before I bought my car the dealer let me take one home for the night. I heard the noise on that car. The CRV I bought has the same exact noise - but only in strong winds, never any time else do I hear it.
  • bflat1bflat1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife just started noticing this noise when the cold weather hit. It sounds like the power steering unit is turned too far, but it happens intermittently when the car is slowing and it doesn't matter if she's turning or not. I'd say it happens 10% of the time when she slows to a stop.

I put the car in neutral and it kept sounding. When she stops completely, it goes away. Once we heard it when she accelerated but it fades away at higher speeds.

I tried belt dressing, checked for anything touching a fan blade or belt, and can't see anything. We had the alternator checked and it isn't the problem.

Frozen brake calipers? But it really sounds like something rotating pretty fast even at slow speeds.
  • henry909henry909 Member Posts: 2
    I solved the problem, I traded the car for a different Honda model.
    My car makes dragging noises while driving. The noise stops when I take my foot off the gas but does it again when I accelerate. This might happen a few times. It usually happens when I am driving at speeds between 25-35 miles per hour. It doesn't happen when I turn so I don't know if that excludes it from being a rear differential problem.

Any ideas??

What gen is it? and what mantenance has been performed?
    Did you try the heat sink. My 2005 CR-V had the same problem. The heat sink was making the noise. It becomes loose often. The best is to tie it up or nail it to something. I had enough noises on my 2005 CR-V that I sold. It is indeed a reliable vehicle but the highway noise, rattles put me off..
  • gary_fortegary_forte Member Posts: 2
    I've had this noise but where is the heat sink.
    Thanks Gary
  • malachai1malachai1 Member Posts: 40
    I have a clunking sound or sounds like something is loose under the front of the car when going over bumps and what not in the road. Does not happen all the time some days its there and others its not. Sounds like it"s coming from the right side but I could be wrong. its a 2010 crv. Any help would be great....
  • terry104terry104 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 CRV and noticed the same thing. Did you get any further info on this? For me tt seems a lot worse the colder it gets and after I drive for a while it gets better. I took it the dealer and they said that there was a service bulletin out on this and it was a faulty oil pump. I was skeptical but since it's still under warranty it didn't cost anything to replace the oil pump. It didn't fix the problem and I'm going to take it back in.
  • sue312sue312 Member Posts: 7
    Think its the rear differential and think there should be a class suit instituted
  • tboyettetboyette Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 CRV. I have popping sounds from underneath the car (both front and back), particularly at low speeds. It is really noticeable when backing in and out of the garage. There is also a rumbling sound from the rear end, as well as a slight rubbing sound on occasion when turning at 15-30 mph. The rear differential and transmission fluid is new and the u-joints have been replaced. Any ideas as to what might be going on?
  • kurtq1kurtq1 Member Posts: 8
    I am getting a creaking noise which sounds like it's coming from my front passenger door panel or form that vicinity. It happens when I first accelerate. I can alos recreate it by having the truck in gear and pressing and releaing the brake. I have tried to press on the door panel and the other plastic around there but have been unable to get the sound to stop. The sound is not there when the truck is cruising, only when I first accelarate. Anybody else experience this and if so what was the solution.. Thank
    I had a similar noise with my 2002 CRV (see earlier post). Mine was caused by two things:

1. The brake pad had separated from the caliper (the subject of a Honda TSB) and damaged the rotors.
    2. A stabilizer link was bad and had to be replaced.

Hope this helps.
  • cwschultz32cwschultz32 Member Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a 2002 Honda CR-V there is a noise it sounds like in drive train and it kinda wines when I push the accelerator. take off overdrive and the noise goes away......??? Any Ideas? The more I accelerate in overdrive the wine increases. This is an automatic naturally! 4cylinder. It kinda feels like a little shake around 40 MPH or so at first I thought it was an unbalanced tire or something.
    I wrote about the same noise in my automatic 2003 Honda CRV. I never found out what it is, but it doesn't seem to affect the performance of the car, it is just annoying. I also think it is more noticeable in warm weather ( i live in Jersey). I have about 122000 miles on my CRV. If your high pitched whine is the same as mine, then the little shake at 40 mph is something else and not connected to the whine. If you find out more about the whine let me know. Good luck with the shaking.
  • deckharddeckhard Member Posts: 1
    I have a four month old 2011 CRV and it has been making this clunking noise for over a month. I took it in to the dealer because it sounds like the front end is coming apart. You can feel the clunk. The dealer "could not duplicate the problem" so I was sent away. It is still doing it but it is intermittent and I cannot seem to make it do it. I called and asked them to just keep the car until they figure out what is wrong with it but "oh, no" they can't do that. I must take them for a drive so that they can hear it while I am there to point out the noise. I explained that it is an unmistakable thunk that you can hear and feel under your feet. Anyone else having this problem? Help?
    Frustrated! :mad:
  • care4all1care4all1 Member Posts: 1
    yes, I have the same problem with a 2010 crv. I've been complaining about it since I bought the car last year. First I was told there was a rock stuck in the brakes then 3 months later told they couldn't hear anything and there was nothing wrong. about 3 months later for my next oil change I was then told the regular maintenance of getting the brakes calibrated was due. That should have been done over 6 months ago when I first started complaining so I let my husband take care of it from there. It is still under warrantee. The brakes have been grinding and squeeling since the first month I owned it. Every once in a while I would hear this loud clunking and feel it in the floor under my feet. Now it happens quite often but they say they can't find it. Not happy with the dealership right now but I will let you know if they figure anything out.
  • gmackegmacke Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 Honda CRV is making a rattling noise. Crawled underneath and snapped this photo:
  • gmackegmacke Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Can anyone tell me what this is hanging off of my 2007 Honda CRV and how much it will cost?

Link to Picture here
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    Hard to say... another picture from an angle to the left of that one would help... It looks like part of a heat shield (to shield the bottom of the car from a hot muffler or exhaust pipe).. Sort of looks like half of the piece that is still attached to the right of it..

Not sure how the heck it got that rusty..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 2001hondacrv2001hondacrv Member Posts: 11
    I think it is the heat shield - I had them replaced on my 2001 Honda (both front and back) and those were the first "major" replacements I did on my CRV. I can't really remember what I paid to replace the heat shield on mine, but I think it ran around $300 - unfortunately, it's a needed part.

Sadly, my 2001 CRV is moving into a new life - my son's. He needs a car before school starts and is inheriting my car. After almost 10 years of owning this one (I bought it used when it was just over a little a year old), I still LOVE it! Since Honda doesn't make them in manual anymore (which is my preference to drive), I'm not getting another one, but at least this one is staying in the family. He's almost 17 and I figure this car should make it through college with him (it has 103,000 miles on it and is incredibly reliable and maintenance free).
  • crvnoisecrvnoise Member Posts: 2
    Ours is doing this as well. It seems it did it last summer, and we were told it had something to do with the differentials. What did you find out?
  • pamcamppamcamp Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have the same problem with my 2007 CRV. It's a creaking sound coming from the area around the driver's side door when I drive at low speeds. If I drive with the door open-no creak. Did you resolve your problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • crvnoisecrvnoise Member Posts: 2
    The noise I was hearing was a "whoop" or "chirp" noise rather than a creak. It also was at low speed or no speed at all. However, it appears that replacing the differential fluid corrects the problem. Good luck with yours!
    It may be the weatherstripping rubbing together. Try lubricating the weatherstripping with silicone spray.