Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Tiburon Engine Questions

fr3kazoidfr3kazoid Member Posts: 2
2004 Hyundai Tiburon

It looks like a 4, but I am told it is a V6. I have only the photos to go by, so it's hard to tell. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/404/feb0820048ck3.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/654/feb0820049mg9.jpg

Comments

• skiz10101skiz10101 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Tiburon. No GT and standard transmission. I have 95,000 miles on it. No major problems (yet) except for the #3 and 4 settings on my A/C going out a couple times....which were fixed.

My question(s) is I have yet to have my timing belt changed. From what I am told is that it's not covered under the warranty. Is it bad that I havent had it changed yet? How much longer do I have? Should I get it changed at the dealership? They quoted me $600 to change it, or should I go to a smaller mechanic? What is an average cost to have this done? The large majority of my miles are highway. I drive 85 miles/day to work...75 of which are highway. What would happen if the belt snapped?? Someone told me that if the timing belt snaps on Korean cars than the engine will no longer run, ever.

Please help me with this. I dont make a ton of money and cant afford a new car...at the same time $600 for a new timing belt is extremely steep as well. Any and all advice will help. Thanks!!!
  • tibracingtibracing Member Posts: 2
    whomever told you that if the belt snaps your engine wont run again should be shot, if your timing belt snaps there is a small posssibility of it hitting minor functioning pieces of the engine. but what will happen when it breaks is your engine will shutdown you will lose all functions throughout the vehicle other than your stereo which will stay with you for a while until your battery is depleted of its power. now dont pay 600$'s for your timing belt to be changed out i work at a small mechanincs and you would be charged about 25$'S for the belt and about 100$'s for the service

dont be fool search around for the best price and quality of product, 600$'s is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much

adios
  • kdmkrazykdmkrazy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 gtv6 5 spd, with 64000 miles, you are supposed to change your timing belt and tensioner and water pump at your 60000 mile check-up, there is a korean company called seoulful racing that sells a timing belt package for around 300 bucks for the 2.7L and about 200 for 2.0L

A set contains of Timing Belt,Tension Assembly,Idle Pulley,Water Pump Assembly,Water Pump Gasket,Power Steering Belt,Water Pump Belt, and A/C Belt

I suggest doing it all at once if you are doing it at all!

2.7L

2.7L Timing belt package

2.0L

2.0L Timing belt package

hope this helps a little or alot...and correct me if im wrong about anything...
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    It depends if the engine is an interference-engine of not. If it is an interference engine and the timing belt breaks, the pistons are going to smack, yes smack, the valves, bending them and causing major engine damage. Again, everything runs based on a specific amount of space, so if the timing is off due to a jumped cog, or if the belt breaks, the internals will come into contact with each other and the engine will be damaged.

If it is not an interference fit, the valves won't come into contact with the pistons and the valve-train will be ok.

Te $600 cost is not that bad, really. As the others responded, it's mostly the labor in removing all the components to get to belt. Also stated, the common practice when changing out the belt is to replace the water pump. Not that the pump goes bad at the same time, but it's really for insurance. The area is open anyway so might as well replace it; the labor for it should be free or very little. You don't want to do a belt replacement then a month down the road the water pump takes a dump. Then you looking at another huge $$ repair.

Hope this helps.
  • europa_71europa_71 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to get information on changing the spark plug in my V6. I would like to know how you change the back 3 plugs? It looks like I need to remove the top of the intake manifold. If anyone has the necessary information I would appricate it if you could forward this information to me.

Thank you.
  • fr3kazoidfr3kazoid Member Posts: 2
    I did more research and from what I can tell, the DOHC 16v is only used in the 4 cylinder and all the V6 models are DOHC 24v.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
  • rockpowerderrockpowerder Member Posts: 1
    i just can't figure it out cuz it is cover.

if it is a turbo car, i just have to buy a good turbo.
    if it is not then i have to buy turbo kits.

i want to know if it is turbo car.

so i won't spend big money to search for it.

thank :) u!
  • terkarterkar Member Posts: 1
    its the 2 liter 4 ---no turbo.
  • mogermoger Member Posts: 1
    Hey ,I just purchased a new 08 GT Tib about 2 months ago. I have nothing but good things to say about it , but I was wondering if theres anyway to put more HP / Torque into it. Is the 2.7L V6 capable of being upgraded ? Is it Turbo accessable ? If anyone has any info on this topic please respond. Thank you for your time and help. :lemon:
  • brody57brody57 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Tiburon with the 2.0 4 cylinder and i am looking for a turbo kit for it. I have not been able to find one for a 2006 but i found one for a 2003. If i can remember right they didnt make tiburons in 04 or 05. Will the 2003 kit work on the 2006 ebgine package? Does anybody know??

Thanks
  • brody57brody57 Member Posts: 2
    it looks identical to my 4. Everything about it looks like a 4 cylinder
  • 03tiburon03tiburon Member Posts: 4
    I have an 03 Tiburon V6 GT and its been cranking but not starting. Usually followed by some white smoke. I took it in and found no problems at that time. Plugs have been changed and the TPS sensor too.

I'm stuck.....
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    White smoke is usually a sign of water in the cylinders. Could be that you have a leaking head gasket and a bit of water is seeping into a cylinder.
    I didn't think of that. I was going more in the direction of crank sensor, fuel filter, bad injectors. It progressively got to this point and now just a real pain to start. I smell raw gas when it starts so i thought it was the fuel flooding the cylinder and burning off.
    Well you may be right too. Maybe I'm overreacting to the white smoke. Since you're smelling gas, it's possible you're losing fuel pressure in the line overnight due to a small leak. Try the following to test the theory.
    Before you turn the key all the way to start, just turn it to the ON position then turn it off. That will run the fuel pump for a few seconds. If you do that a couple of times it will re-establish pressure in the line and you should start right up if that's the issue.
    I'll have to try that in the morning. That's when it takes a bit to get going after sitting for a while.
    That's sounding more like a fuel pressure issue since it's the mornings after the car has been sitting for a number of hours.
    When you turn the key you should hear the electric fuel pump running for a few seconds. If it is that you're leaking fuel pressure, this key trick will be a good workaround until the leak gets bad enough to be easy to find.
    we'll i tried it and it's still the same. Cranks for 5 or 6 times then it starts with the white smoke. The engine revs to about 2000 rpms and slowly drops back to an normal idle. we're going to see what our dad has to say and if no luck just give in and take it to a Hyundai dealer and see what they can make of it.
  • mr_cleanmr_clean Member Posts: 1
    I am Hyundai Salesperson. I also play with my '06 Tiburon GT.
    My son is a Hyundai master mechanic.
    My Tiburon will eat GT Mustangs.

That is not to brag but to give you a little background.

Your engine is a 2.0 litre 4-cylinder.

Lots of performance parts available. Go to Next Generation Motorsports.
  • dano13dano13 Member Posts: 15
    Tiburon v-6 has a timming chain, why would you need to change it at 60.000 miles. I have driven cars with timming chains ( not belts ) with 200.000 + miles with no problem . now the 4 banger has a belt and i know they need to be replaced, but a chain uummm ?
  • tiamattiamat Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I took my car to two Hyundai shops in Ontario, and both of them could not help me. In fact when I left the one in Stoney Creek, it was worse than when I left and they supposedly put a new catalytic converter on it! I swear I'm being robbed!!

The problem I have is thusly. My car is dumping fuel into the cylinders and rotting out the exhaust components. I'm on my 3rd cat and 2nd flex pipe in less than 3 years. I've replaced the fueltank, fuel pump and all four injectors. Still doing the same thing.
    Currently I've switched to Elantra injectors, same engine size, but less fuel flow to save fuel. The car used to get about 700km to a tank (53L) if driven gently. When the problem first came about and I was popping fuel injectors thanks to the bad fuel tank (rust/water from top side hole which Hyundai didn't even investigate, they just tossed in some chemical at $80 a gallon to try and flush the system...), I was lucky to get 400km to a tank. Now with the Elantra injectors I'm getting about 525km. However, she has her power back. When pushed heavy, I can kill a tank in 450km and still get top performance, but again, still dumping fuel intermittently.

The engines intake system has a Bosche Electromagnetic Air Throttle Valve which is apparently STOCK EQUIP on a Korean engine, yet here.. the techs at Hyundai in Stoney Creek didn't even know what it was. Couldn't order it. Hyundai Mississauga wanted $800CAN to import it. I got a used one from a scrap yard for $50!!! Works fine!!

I'm at my wits end. Been three years driving her like this.. Poor thing. :sick: She's in great shape otherwise. Body's mint, one or two dents thanks to Toronto's bad parkinglot drivers... only 118,000km (75,000mi)on her. I love this car. Completely agree.. Even stock, this car kills turbo Integras, Mustangs, Lexi.. Even some older Porches. Just the right combination of power and torque jammed into a small compact economy sports car. YES, "economy sports car." Its very economical, and extremely sporty. My old man loves this thing more than his 'Vette, a '74 Stingray with custom 454-V8!! Which is like driving an ocean liner to work. Just turning it on takes a litre of gas!! :cry:

Randy and Tiamat
  • cherylacheryla Member Posts: 1
    i have a 01 Tiburon that has been doing the same thing. I replaced the fuel pump,filter and idle fuel control but none of that worked i took it to a shop and they said something like the crank switch so I am going to try that too we will see.
  • cjohn40cjohn40 Member Posts: 1
    i've got an '03 tiburon v6 with lean codes - 171, 174. long terms are at 24, and 25. no intake leaks,i borrowed a scanner, monitored the maf, its reading in lb/min. the reading while idling is from .394 - .435.. when i unplug the mass air flow, the reading seems to stay the same. please help i'm confused!!!!!
  • chikenhawkchikenhawk Member Posts: 1
    i changed the coil, plugs wirers. fuel is going through fule filter and to the injectors still dont start but turns over. its a 2000 any suggestions
  • jph8jph8 Member Posts: 1
    While in park, my 2003 Tiburon GT V6 races to 3500 RPM when I barely tap on the accelerator. Also RPM fluctuates and surges while driving, very scary! I have replaced the TPS, Idle Air Control, and the MAF sensor. I also cleaned the throttle body and checked for vacuum leaks but did not find any. The only way to get the RPMs down is to unplug the Idle Air Control connection. It then drops to 800. This car has an automatic trans and an electronic manual shifting mode. It only has this problem when in automatic trans mode. When I switch to manual, all problems disappear. Anyone have any ideas? Thank You
  • tiburongk2003tiburongk2003 Member Posts: 1
    hello,i have the same problem whit my tiburon gt 2003 5speed and i check for the problem,good luck,i dont have the solution,i search
  • jennlyrikaljennlyrikal Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2007 Tiburon GT 57k on engine. I've never had a problem with this car until very recently. I bought it in july and it runs like a dream. This winter it has sat a lot more since I drive a SUV for winter months. I start it twice a week to keep it warmed up though. The last time I went out to start it, I noticed a tapping sound like the oil hadn't made it up to the top yet so i just let it run hoping the sound would go away but it hasn't. I left it running for over ten minutes today in my driveway and it showed no signs of stopping the tap noise. I'm pissed off and I have no idea why its doing this now. My question is, i have a 5 year 60k warranty. Is it too late to take it in to hyundai under warranty? I don't see an owners manual in the car so I'm not sure when it was manufactured but I know I have kept up with maintenance. Any ideas?
  • mudbone9mudbone9 Member Posts: 1
    Try putting some Motor Flush by Gunk in the engine right before your next oil change. I use it about every third oil change in all my cars. It saved me from having to overhaul an engine once about 30 years ago so I know it works.
  • jess45jess45 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you find the kit. I need one
  • ivetaiveta Member Posts: 1
    Hi diid you fix I have same issue I replace TPS and my RPM go up.
  • vhathwayvhathway Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT 2.7 six speed gearbox which has all of a sudden developed an issue with the speedometer and trip meters not working.

I have changed the speed sensor which is on the top of the gearbox but still it doesn't work. I have also checked all the fuses and they are fine so now I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Kind regards,

Vincent
  • CharleystibCharleystib Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 tiburon 2.7l v6 and when running it blows a lot of white smoke and idles really rough. Thought it could be the head gasket but I don’t know. Took the oil cap off not milky and it doesn’t seem like steam, and not sweet smelling like antifreeze more of a raw gas smell(real strong). Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.